User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 12:44 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Pollard FT shooting

I haven't seen this discussed elsewhere, apologies if it's out there and I missed it.

But KP is actually SHOOTING a basketball now, not hoping it toward the tin. They keep showing the annoying closeup from under the basket and when it leaves his hand my first thought is "it's good." You can just tell, the ball is going in. When it doesn't go in it gently rolls off. It's not confidence, it's not that he's a senior, it's not that he's repeating his awful motion enough that it's consistent.

His follow through is snapping the wrist and hanging his hand in the cookie jar. Since I noticed the change in his motion KP is:

4-5
2-3
5-7
5-7
9-13
4-5
29-40 = 72.5%

That's downright respectable, and significantly above his 66% percentage on the year (since it would be more like 60% without the recent streak).

I swear I see a different shooting motion from him than he started the year with.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (02-06-2017), Alberto Strasse (02-06-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (02-06-2017), CoffeeCan (02-06-2017), cralford (02-06-2017), Justin (02-06-2017), NYCFLYER (02-07-2017), redbengal (02-07-2017), SLUFLYER (02-06-2017), UDGutter2 (02-08-2017)
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
It's not just KP (altho he is the most improved) as all of the guys seem to be focusing better. Archie attributes it to the FT competitions they now have at practice,
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfever (02-08-2017), jack72 (02-06-2017), Justin (02-06-2017), NYCFLYER (02-07-2017), UDBaby (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I haven't seen this discussed elsewhere, apologies if it's out there and I missed it.

But KP is actually SHOOTING a basketball now, not hoping it toward the tin. They keep showing the annoying closeup from under the basket and when it leaves his hand my first thought is "it's good." You can just tell, the ball is going in. When it doesn't go in it gently rolls off. It's not confidence, it's not that he's a senior, it's not that he's repeating his awful motion enough that it's consistent.

His follow through is snapping the wrist and hanging his hand in the cookie jar. Since I noticed the change in his motion KP is:

4-5
2-3
5-7
5-7
9-13
4-5
29-40 = 72.5%

That's downright respectable, and significantly above his 66% percentage on the year (since it would be more like 60% without the recent streak).

I swear I see a different shooting motion from him than he started the year with.
I have definitely taken notice of Pollard's improvement. I no longer hear the moans when he is fouled. I think he is more than respectable. You gotta love that guy. He is a main cog in our success
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cralford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-08-2017), San Diego Flyer (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Great improvement.
However, I've noticed a trend. When KP is fouled and goes immediately tot he line, he shoots better than if he is fouled going into a media TO and has to wait to shoot. This has occurred in each of the last 2 games and several other times throughout the season.
Flow of the game - no problem. Interrupted by TO - missed shot.
Maybe he needs to ride a bike or run some sprints coming out of the TO to get his heart rate back up and sweat flowing.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:35 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

4-5
2-3
5-7
5-7
9-13
4-5
29-40 = 72.5%

Gazoo: You are exactly right. There is no more of the "crooked twist" off of his hand. Pollard gets to the line a lot and it's a real improvement to his game now that he is in the 70+% range. It has made him a much more complete player. Otherwise, he becomes a target for fouling in late-game situations.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Gazoo: You are exactly right. There is no more of the "crooked twist" off of his hand. Pollard gets to the line a lot and it's a real improvement to his game now that he is in the 70+% range. It has made him a much more complete player. Otherwise, he becomes a target for fouling in late-game situations.
And, I've seen him revert to the crooked wrist on a couple of shots and they looked predictably terrible.

Most guys shoot worse coming out of the media timeout, but even Pollard's misses are as gentle as laying down a sleeping baby. Unlike the MMA head spike he shot for 3.5 years.

OK maybe that's a bit much. But I honestly don't fear him going to the line right now. I'm surprised when they DON'T go in.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,629 Times in 765 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
http://americansportsnet.com/news/fe...-his-full-game

Good article on KP
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (02-08-2017), mikeymo85 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,341 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Great improvement.
However, I've noticed a trend. When KP is fouled and goes immediately tot he line, he shoots better than if he is fouled going into a media TO and has to wait to shoot. This has occurred in each of the last 2 games and several other times throughout the season.
Flow of the game - no problem. Interrupted by TO - missed shot.
Maybe he needs to ride a bike or run some sprints coming out of the TO to get his heart rate back up and sweat flowing.
Great call on this trend. He made all of his free throws except the two he took after a TV timeout.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:01 PM
General

7-9, making him 73.5% over the last 7 games. I didn't watch the game so I don't know how his follow through looked, but I have to imagine it was a continuation of his change in form = good.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...ePSXOBQH3zenM/

Archie Miller and the players have attributed the improvement to free-throw competitions in practice.

“Nobody likes to lose,” Pollard said Tuesday. “You go out there and take your time and make as many as you can. Everybody goes up against somebody. I think Darrell (Davis) has been in first place since we started. He’s the champ. I’m in sixth place.”

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 02-08-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-08-2017)