Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Major

VirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to behold
Insult to the loyal fans

With a large UD crowd this was like a home game. Many loyal fans spent a lot of money to come and support the team and watch this team play without energy or effort. A major disappointment but a real insult to all those supporting fans. Had the team played to the level they can, no one would blame them. But this was an insult. If they play with this effort in the dabce, they may as well stay at home.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to VirgM For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (03-10-2017), CT Flyer (03-10-2017), flyercasey (03-10-2017), jack72 (03-10-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VirgM View Post
With a large UD crowd this was like a home game. Many loyal fans spent a lot of money to come and support the team and watch this team play without energy or effort. A major disappointment but a real insult to all those supporting fans. Had the team played to the level they can, no one would blame them. But this was an insult. If they play with this effort in the dabce, they may as well stay at home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Today's performance will probably make a lot of fans decision whether or not to go to the NCAA's an easier choice.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:45 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
I hate to be negative, as I am a third-generation true-blue Flyer fan, but these last two games can only be viewed as disappointing and a real kick in the midsection to Flyer fans. We disintegrated at the end of the season last year as well. Could it be that the coaches have the Flyers figured out by this time of the season?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
With a large UD crowd this was like a home game. Many loyal fans spent a lot of money to come and support the team and watch this team play without energy or effort.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not me. I ain't no fool. Now my weekend is free and I get to rest up for the real tournament next weekend. LOL
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
The Sky Is Falling!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to chicago92 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sarge (03-10-2017), Tony T 71 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Today's performance will probably make a lot of fans decision whether or not to go to the NCAA's an easier choice.
Yep...now it's an easy decision to go since people just saved on some hotel room and food money!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
I've been a diehard Flyer fan my whole life. But this is the chance you take by going to the A10 tourney. We could lose our first game or win it all and our track record in the A10 tourney is not very good. I went to the Orlando Classic a couple years ago. I would prefer that because you are guaranteed 3 games no matter what. Not taking anything away from the dedicated fans that went to Pitt, but at my age I can't afford to spend the money when I don't know if I'm getting 1 game or 3-4 games.
Mad Props to hessbz12 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
That's 2 games in a row they didn't show up for the first 20 minutes. I was never good enough to play outside of some pick-up games with friends. It was always 100% 100% of the time. It kills me to see them half @$$ it for a half. I don't mind losses, they happen, but play your butt off doing it!
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hessbz12 View Post
I've been a diehard Flyer fan my whole life. But this is the chance you take by going to the A10 tourney. We could lose our first game or win it all and our track record in the A10 tourney is not very good. I went to the Orlando Classic a couple years ago. I would prefer that because you are guaranteed 3 games no matter what. Not taking anything away from the dedicated fans that went to Pitt, but at my age I can't afford to spend the money when I don't know if I'm getting 1 game or 3-4 games.
It's the reason I chose Maui 3 seasons ago over Brooklyn or Pittsburgh since. Well, that, the weather and the beach.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-10-2017), C-time (03-10-2017), Flyer 86 (03-10-2017), hessbz12 (03-10-2017), MikeF (03-10-2017), redbengal (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoy these guys for the moment.

Next year you'll have a completely different set of 18-22 yr olds to be insulted by.
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
big jordan (03-10-2017), Bucketnight (03-10-2017), Flyer 86 (03-10-2017), Flyer69ers (03-10-2017), Glen Clark (03-12-2017), JimBo (03-10-2017), MikeF (03-10-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-10-2017), Tony T 71 (03-10-2017), UD93 Steve (03-10-2017), UDTradition (03-10-2017), wes (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
Sure it would be nice if Scoochie decided "this is the game that I'm going to be aggressive in the first half". But he didn't. And the offense was poor in the first half and it got them into a hole.

But these kids are not being paid as professionals. And they've had an incredible season in the face of tragedy and bad injury luck. You have to know what you're getting into when you go to any sporting event, let alone one that's played by 20 year olds. Many times it's disappointing. I think it's taking all of this way too seriously to be insulted by the team today.
Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-12-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Major

VirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to beholdVirgM is a splendid one to behold
It was the effort level that was disappointing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to VirgM For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Disappointing... absolutely. Aggravating... absolutely.

Insulting... huh?

The team played terrible in the first half. No doubt. After what the team overcame this season emotionally and injury wise to now have to scramble to avoid the self professed faithful trampling them as they leap off of the bandwagon is insulting to what they have accomplished over this season and for the last 4 years (for the seniors).

Again, they played bad. The last 2 games. I'm all for being critical of the play. But really? Comparing your self deluded memories of how you were the 100% effort guy 100% of the time?

Be angry. Be critical. But try not making it about yourself.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-12-2017), SLUFLYER (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Colonel

UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post

Insulting... huh?

The team played terrible in the first half. No doubt. After what the team overcame this season emotionally and injury wise to now have to scramble to avoid the self professed faithful trampling them as they leap off of the bandwagon is insulting to what they have accomplished over this season and for the last 4 years (for the seniors).

Again, they played bad. The last 2 games. I'm all for being critical of the play. But really? Comparing your self deluded memories of how you were the 100% effort guy 100% of the time?

It wasnt, isn't about me, maybe I worded it wrong, but it doesn't take talent to show/give effort. I love the Flyers, and care about each player, and I like to see effort, win or lose. It pains me because I don't want them to have regrets, and with my YEARS of experience, I know one can have regrets when you don't put forth all of the effort you have. You can lose, but if you lose thinking there is more you could have done, you might have regrets.

Last edited by UDGutter2; 03-10-2017 at 04:33 PM..
Old 03-10-2017, 04:31 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
It wasnt, isn't about me, maybe I worded it wrong, but it doesn't take talent to show/give effort. I love the Flyers, and care about each player, and I like to see effort, win or lose. It pains me because I don't want them to have regrets, and with my YEARS of experience, I know one can have regrets when you don't put forth all of the effort you have. You can lose, but if you lose thinking there is more you could have regrets.
Yeah, I related to your post. To me it just meant you're baffled at how this can happen two times in a row at this point in the season under these circumstances. I can understand it happening at GW, that's not difficult, but to go into your conference tournament against a team you had to beat in OT 2 weeks ago with 2 players that have eaten you up every time you've played against them, that's baffling.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post

Insulting... huh?

And, btw, never once said I was insulted.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton was 70% to win both @GW and Davidson neutral. Losing both will happen about 10% of the time. It happens.

If the guard from Iceland misses the 3 with 1:47 left and Dayton up 65-62, Dayton wins the game. BTW, he shoots .327 from 3 for the year. Good position to win, but they get hot from 3 late.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Dayton was 70% to win both @GW and Davidson neutral. Losing both will happen about 10% of the time. It happens.

If the guard from Iceland misses the 3 with 1:47 left and Dayton up 65-62, Dayton wins the game. BTW, he shoots .327 from 3 for the year. Good position to win, but they get hot from 3 late.
Many 32% shooters at the D1 level can make a wide open 3 like that.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:53 PM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
The irony is we had excuses of injuries all year. Now we have everybody back and lay two straight eggs. Just maybe effort means more than having all your players.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Insulted, really. These kids busted a nut to take the lead late in the game and you are insulted!? Give me a break. I'm proud of the "never say die" attitude they showed. I am looking forward to selection Sunday now more than ever.

RIP shockas dad. God bless him and his family.

Last edited by cj; 03-11-2017 at 12:00 AM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-10-2017), Flyer 86 (03-10-2017), ruechalgrin (03-10-2017), SLUFLYER (03-10-2017), Townie (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Fortunately, only saw 20 minutes or so of these past 80 minutes of lackluster play. From what I've been reading, effort seems to be a big issue. If that's the case, then yes, I have a problem with that. Maybe you're not a great shooter. Maybe your ballhandling skills are weak. Maybe you're not the quickest guy on the court. BUT YOU CAN TRY!

Try to stay with your opponent on the dribble. Try to close out on a 3-point shooter. Try to box-out on a rebound. Try. Just friggin' try. If you do that, then we're with you all the way. If you don't, then threads like this one get started.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:21 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
The irony is we had excuses of injuries all year. Now we have everybody back and lay two straight eggs. Just maybe effort means more than having all your players.
You're saying "quality" trumps "quantity"?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
While I have no way to explain it or show examples of it or quantify it, and I've said it before, it's a lack of on court LEADERSHIP. This is not on Archie, this is on the team.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
While I have no way to explain it or show examples of it or quantify it, and I've said it before, it's a lack of on court LEADERSHIP. This is not on Archie, this is on the team.
Probably a little difficult to have leadership when you have 4 senior starters that all believe they are leaders.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Probably a little difficult to have leadership when you have 4 senior starters that all believe they are leaders.
All of them believe, but none of them are. Went from TrueTeam to True Colors
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of

Wide open 3, who's man Scoochie
Old 03-10-2017, 08:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Just not hungry enough, satisfied with being the best senior class and winning the A10 regular. Been on spring break ever since. Even Archie made a comment they don't play well when things are okay. They need a chip on their shoulder for some reason to get going.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Wide open 3, who's man Scoochie
I actually re-watched that play and it was really Cooke's man although Scoochie put them in a bad spot when he went to help. They should have given up the two at that point of the game and guarded the three.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
It would just be nice to take control of a game - and keep it.
That hasn't happened in a while.
This "cross your fingers at the end of the game" luck apparently ran out today . . .

Next game - new start.
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
We went from A10 Regular Season Champs to A10 Tournament Chumps in 10 days. Through the ups and downs during the season I've always said I had faith in our senior leaders. My faith is wavering a bit, but I still believe they can turn it back on. It's all about wanting to play defense. Go Flyers!
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Flyer69ers View Post
It would just be nice to take control of a game - and keep it.
That hasn't happened in a while.
This "cross your fingers at the end of the game" luck apparently ran out today . . .

Next game - new start.
The sad part is, we said "next game; new start" after the GW game, and we all know how that turned out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 PM
General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
The sad part is, we said "next game; new start" after the GW game, and we all know how that turned out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I said this last year and a few jumped on me for it. But I had a bad vibe going into the tournament and I have that same vibe now. During the season you have the ups and downs because it's difficult to keep that intensity over 5 months. But when you lose it for the final 2 of the season, and one being the first game of a conference tournament, I don't think they'll be able to turn it up again.

It's a flaw with the mentality of this team, and mental flaws are not fixed between conference tournament loss and NCAA tournament.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Just not hungry enough, satisfied with being the best senior class and winning the A10 regular. Been on spring break ever since. Even Archie made a comment they don't play well when things are okay. They need a chip on their shoulder for some reason to get going.
Different stakes, for sure, but it's almost akin to The Allies landing at Normandy on D-Day, securing the beachhead, and saying "Ya...that's good enough."

Please don't think I'm trying to compare "war" to "basketball". My dad served in the European Theater for the entirety of WWII, and I mean no disrespect to any vets or their families. I'm just saying there's such a thing as "finishing the job", and this team isn't doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Different stakes, for sure, but it's almost akin to The Allies landing at Normandy on D-Day, securing the beachhead, and saying "Ya...that's good enough."

Please don't think I'm trying to compare "war" to "basketball". My dad served in the European Theater for the entirety of WWII, and I mean no disrespect to any vets or their families. I'm just saying there's such a thing as "finishing the job", and this team isn't doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
And I thought that was the big thing with these seniors and this team was that they said they wanted to go where no other UD team has gone. They have one last chance, let's see if they respond to the adversity.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Many 32% shooters at the D1 level can make a wide open 3 like that.
After playing 34 minutes, I like Dayton's chances with that shot versus Gibbs or Alridge taking it.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Yeah, I said this last year and a few jumped on me for it. But I had a bad vibe going into the tournament and I have that same vibe now. During the season you have the ups and downs because it's difficult to keep that intensity over 5 months. But when you lose it for the final 2 of the season, and one being the first game of a conference tournament, I don't think they'll be able to turn it up again.

It's a flaw with the mentality of this team, and mental flaws are not fixed between conference tournament loss and NCAA tournament.
Smitty, this current team is starting to remind me of the 2011 Cincinnati Reds.

In 2010, the Reds gained a reputation as a "hustling" team, leading the league in going from 1st to 3rd safely, and winning a number of games in come-from-behind fashion, in the process of fInishing 91-71 and winning the NL Central. The next year, 2011, the Reds took it for granted that they'd be able to keep winning by repeatedly coming from behind. Yeah, right. They finished 79-83, in 3rd place in the NL Central, and out of the playoffs.

This team also seems to believe that they can come from behind, at will, and pull-out victories. Well, in the past week, they're 0-2 in those circumstances. It's time for them to rediscover that "scrappy" mojo, come out of the gate blasting, get ahead of their opponent, and stay there. Can they do it? I believe so. Will they do it? Ask me next Saturday morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Lieutenant General

After playing 34 minutes, I like Dayton's chances with that shot versus Gibbs or Alridge taking it.
But the point is that we are not playing very good defense lately.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 PM

But the point is that we are not playing very good defense lately.
100% agree with that, the fact that Dayton's defense has dropped from #9 in the country to #40 the past 10 games support the poor defense argument.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not insulted. Disappointed, yes.

What this team doesn't realize right now, is what they can be or could have been. And that's the challenge with any group of 18-22 year olds. The D has really dropped off. I hope for THEIR sake, they come out with intensity they have demonstrated they can have.

Otherwise, and I can't believe I'm typing this:

The winningest class in UD MBB history, will finish with three consecutive loses.

That's hard to believe.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 PM
General

Smitty, this current team is starting to remind me of the 2011 Cincinnati Reds.

In 2010, the Reds gained a reputation as a "hustling" team, leading the league in going from 1st to 3rd safely, and winning a number of games in come-from-behind fashion, in the process of fInishing 91-71 and winning the NL Central. The next year, 2011, the Reds took it for granted that they'd be able to keep winning by repeatedly coming from behind. Yeah, right. They finished 79-83, in 3rd place in the NL Central, and out of the playoffs.

This team also seems to believe that they can come from behind, at will, and pull-out victories. Well, in the past week, they're 0-2 in those circumstances. It's time for them to rediscover that "scrappy" mojo, come out of the gate blasting, get ahead of their opponent, and stay there. Can they do it? I believe so. Will they do it? Ask me next Saturday morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, kind of. You do make a great point focusing on the come from behind magic. In professional sports, one season to the next can be night and day because your opponents can fill their weaknesses much faster. In college basketball, based on not losing too many to graduation, it's not usually that drastic. However, I do think that when you're team has been blessed with digging themselves out of holes, they might tend to get mentally lazy to start games thinking they can turn that switch on at anytime and get out with a victory. This kind of thing always comes back to bite you.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
This was a really bad time to play and coach poorly...like you all I am miserable (I have even kicked my dog...more than once...and he loves me)...but all will be forgotten when they win their next game!

I suspect that they will now play with a sense of urgency. That's all we can ask for.

Go Flyers !
Old 03-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
We will no longer be the hunted. That's for sure. I'm hoping that equates into some urgency and improved defense.