User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Captain

murphy98 has a spectacular aura aboutmurphy98 has a spectacular aura about
Best Teams in Ohio this year ? Wright St UD OSU XU ?

OSU looking pretty good tonight seems to be reloaded to be pretty good but too young again to make a huge run

XU still the class of Ohio Basketball ? Would be nice to see that Holiday tourney with the Flyers, Raiders, OSU and maybe a few MAC teams and Cincy....

Where would UD and WSU finish against the MAC Ohio teams this year ?

Better then the Gem City Jam
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Well, you posted the same question in April, and nothing has changed much, so I'll just link to my answer there.

(although I heard that Miami Jacobs is trying a new offense that might shake things up)
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
I think the best team in Ohio will be Ohio St. They just have more good players than everyone else, and they have experience coming back for the first time in a few years. I actually think they were better than X at the end of the year last season, but obviously weren't good enough early to make the NCAA. BJ Mullens is a freak.

Give X the nod over UD out of respect for recent success, then you look at Kent St, Miami, and Wright St for the 4th spot.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
Well, you posted the same question in April, and nothing has changed much, so I'll just link to my answer there.

(although I heard that Miami Jacobs is trying a new offense that might shake things up)

Yes, and now that the teams are playing, transfers are in, kids have gone pro and freshman are playing with their teams things change quite a bit...
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by murphy98 View Post
Would be nice to see that Holiday tourney with the Flyers, Raiders, OSU and maybe a few MAC teams and Cincy....
It would be pretty cool to see something like, the Ohio Classic or something like that. Invite OSU, UD, Xavier, UC, Miami, Wright State, Kent State, and Toledo and have a 3 rd tourney where eveybody plays 3 games in 4 days.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Scratch WSU from the tourny...

Any school that allows fans to get in free for wearing the school's logo on any piece of clothing needs to cancel their program or drop to DIII.
bobber (11-15-2008), John R (11-14-2008), udhoopsfan (11-14-2008)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,173 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, why is there such a hatred for Wright State on here? I realize this is the University of Dayton board, and the Gem City Jam questions are hashed out beyond belief, but it seems that there is a general hatred for Wright State, and I can't seem to fathom why. I know that when I was in college at UD, we said "Right State, Wrong City." Is there anything more to it?

Figgie
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
I generally agree with all of the above, including the rather odd hatred for WSU, a team we seem to hate, play in every other sport, including woman’s basketball, they more recently went to an NCAA, are 15 minutes down the street, and yet that seemingly does not constitute a rivalry. How bizarre is that!

At any rate, I think X and TOSU are about the same, but as for the Flyers being third, well, not so fast, I hope their first, but I think it anything but clear that they are third. The Flyers could perhaps be 2nd or 3rd, or they could be 6, 7, or 8. I think the range for UD is at least that much. There is always UC (Big East) and Cleveland State (NIT last year) which you all made zero mention of. Akron has been good, Ohio Univ. has been solid the last few years. UD might not even be in the top 5. That is no knock on UD but a credit to in state college basketball.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 11-14-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Just off the Jet

Matt is on a distinguished road
Honestly the fans over on the Wright St. messageboards have the hatred. It seems like every few posts they try and get in a shot at UD instead of moving on with life.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Matt For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-14-2008), Flyergrad (11-14-2008), longtimefan (11-14-2008), Tony T 71 (11-14-2008), udhoopsfan (11-14-2008)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm note sure that 'hate' is the proper word. I kinda consider them to be that annoying little brother that wants to play football or basketball with the big kids and is always told to go away.

I think it's safe to say that they are viewed as an inferior program despite any recent success in the Horizon league. And that view is shared by many, including their own fans. Look no further than their attendance and promotions (get in free for wearing a hat??) for verification. Their own fans don't even care.

Last edited by rollo; 11-14-2008 at 12:59 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-15-2008), udhoopsfan (11-14-2008)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
I am a little jealous they made the real post season though. I think they have a heck of a coach.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Ballgame, all you need is a WSU hat and you can switch to become a WSU fan.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Colonel

Flyer1407 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Honestly the fans over on the Wright St. messageboards have the hatred. It seems like every few posts they try and get in a shot at UD instead of moving on with life.
Wright State has enough fans to make a message board?
Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM
General

Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Any school that allows fans to get in free for wearing the school's logo on any piece of clothing needs to cancel their program or drop to DIII.
Someone has to play on the road for the 1st round game.

(Actually I really don't have any strong feelings either way for WSU, the thought just came to me)
Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer1407 View Post
Wright State has enough fans to make a message board?
Yes, but only because if you wear a WSU shirt while typing, you can join the board for free!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
not much love for miami. they had a chance to beat ucla, and had they executed a little better in the second half they would have won the game. they were tied with a minute to go, and that was with one of their best players being held to just two points. i really think the redhawks could end up having a big year if they stay healthy. they got off to a great start last year. they also finished strong, but injuries hurt them in the middle of the season. i could even see them ending up like kent state and playing their way into the top 25, and into a position to receive an at-large bid. of course, a win last night would have been huge.

Last edited by xubrew; 11-14-2008 at 02:45 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Colonel

Flyer1407 is infamous around these parts
Brew, I want your opinion on Miami.

Do you think they will be better this year? I just can't see it. They have a brutal schedule. They are 1-1 right now and have 4 straight away games; @ Pitt, @ Wright St., @ Xavier, @ Temple. Beyond that they are @ West Virginia, @ Dayton.

http://muredhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-...kbl-sched.html

I have them at 5-7 going into an improved MAC.

Now could they pull an upset? Sure because their style of play sets up for it. But, if they do pull an upset they will counter it with a bad loss somewhere.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
if they stay healthy i think they'll be better this year. they were a better team last year when they were healthy. they got off to a great start, and didn't finish all that badly. they were 10-4 down the stretch with three of the losses being either in overtime, or by less than four points, one of which was to nationally ranked kent state to end the year. so, yes, i think they're a good team. it was just the middle of the year where they weren't at full strength and had a stretch where they lost five out six, or something like that. the schedule is brutal, though. they'll need to pull off a big win or two in order to establish themselves like they did early on last season.

honestly, i thought they could have played better yesterday. they execute extremely well, and that alone allows them to win a lot of games, but they made some mistakes yesterday. that should improve as they get a few more games under their belt.

having said that, they did struggle with weber state. i didn't see that game, but from what i understand it was the same deal where they made a lot of careless mistakes and their shot selection wasn't the best.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
They only beat Webber State by four and only Loss to UCLA by Five. I think on a normal Night UCLA would beat Webber State by about Thirity. Miami (OH) is to hard to judge. On a good night they can play with anybody on a bad night they can get beat by anybody.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by UDF4N4LIF3 View Post
They only beat Webber State by four and only Loss to UCLA by Five. I think on a normal Night UCLA would beat Webber State by about Thirity. Miami (OH) is to hard to judge. On a good night they can play with anybody on a bad night they can get beat by anybody.
i agree ... Miami seems to play in a solid system and makes you really work to beat them...

seemed to be the more disciplined team vs. UCLA and word is they took it to OSU in their practice game... I forgot about them...

Their fan support is sad.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Wright State Wrong school

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Okay, why is there such a hatred for Wright State on here? I realize this is the University of Dayton board, and the Gem City Jam questions are hashed out beyond belief, but it seems that there is a general hatred for Wright State, and I can't seem to fathom why. I know that when I was in college at UD, we said "Right State, Wrong City." Is there anything more to it?

Figgie
I guess the same reason the WSU fans have that hatred for Dayton,

Go check it out for yourself at Raider roundball.

They post something negative everyday about UD.

Go check it out for yourself.

Check out the post about its not roundball and the post about the UD PRIDE MESSAGE BOARD

Last edited by John R; 11-14-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone going to nutter tomorrow
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bigben7tony View Post
Anyone going to nutter tomorrow
Big D and may be tman will be there.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Captain

The Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these parts
What?

My two cents.

There is absolutely no good reason to not play WSU every season. I hope you guys realize that while I still think our team is better than them this year, they are not far behind. They have a very good shot of winning their league. They're just as good as Miami and Creighton and George Mason and Toledo and Akron, teams we play home and home with. Also, I think somebody might've mentioned, they're a 7 minute drive away.

Losing one game to Wright State in November (wouldn't happen often) every year isn't going to make or break any of our seasons.

Who cares that they're offering free tickets for people that show up in raider clothing. They want to create a larger fanbase. They have a team and a coach that deserve a good following. They haven't had a D1 program for 100 years.

We need to drop our high and mighty attitude and sack up and play them. It needs to be done and it needs to be done very soon.

I agree with some of the other posters in that I don't understand why most of the people on here absolutely hate on Wright State. I'm a UD grad and a flyer fan, but I'm also a basketball fan in general that wants to see local teams do well. Stop hatin' lets play ball.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Price is Wright For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER FANATIC 88 (11-14-2008), flyerdube (11-15-2008), UDEE79 (11-15-2008)
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM

masonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Price is Wright View Post
My two cents.

There is absolutely no good reason to not play WSU every season. I hope you guys realize that while I still think our team is better than them this year, they are not far behind. They have a very good shot of winning their league. They're just as good as Miami and Creighton and George Mason and Toledo and Akron, teams we play home and home with. Also, I think somebody might've mentioned, they're a 7 minute drive away.

Losing one game to Wright State in November (wouldn't happen often) every year isn't going to make or break any of our seasons.

Who cares that they're offering free tickets for people that show up in raider clothing. They want to create a larger fanbase. They have a team and a coach that deserve a good following. They haven't had a D1 program for 100 years.

We need to drop our high and mighty attitude and sack up and play them. It needs to be done and it needs to be done very soon.

I agree with some of the other posters in that I don't understand why most of the people on here absolutely hate on Wright State. I'm a UD grad and a flyer fan, but I'm also a basketball fan in general that wants to see local teams do well. Stop hatin' lets play ball.
Stop talking common sense with your 2 cents. That's not allowed here with regard to Wright State.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 PM

masonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by John R View Post
I guess the same reason the WSU fans have that hatred for Dayton,

Go check it out for yourself at Raider roundball.

They post something negative everyday about UD.

Go check it out for yourself.

Check out the post about its not roundball and the post about the UD PRIDE MESSAGE BOARD
And nobody says bad things about Ohio State here, right John R?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by masonflyer View Post
And nobody says bad things about Ohio State here, right John R?
I'm not sure what this has to do with WSU.

Go Illinois!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by John R View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with WSU.

Go Illinois!!!
Pretty obvious, even for you. You whine about Raider Roundball posting about us but you do the same with Ohio State. More hypocricy from John R. Tendencies, tendencies.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 PM

Thumbs down Ligten up Francine

Pretty obvious, even for you. You whine about Raider Roundball posting about us but you do the same with Ohio State. More hypocricy from John R. Tendencies, tendencies.
Who is whining I'm just stating the facts.

What did I say bad about OSU? All I said was go Illinois.

And just for you on 11/22 Go Michigan!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Price is Wright View Post
My two cents.

First, I don't believe Wright State is as good as any of those teams, save George Mason and maybe Toledo. They aren't anywhere near Creighton.

I personally don't care if we play them or not -- but let's not inflate their status.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Johnny Ridiculous, the walking contradiction.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
First, I don't believe Wright State is as good as any of those teams, save George Mason and maybe Toledo. They aren't anywhere near Creighton.

I personally don't care if we play them or not -- but let's not inflate their status.
i believe akron has nine freshmen this year. i'd say that the chances of wright state being better than akron are pretty strong given the players that wsu has coming back after a 20+ win season. i'd also say that over the past two seasons, they were at least comparable to akron.

i agree that creighton is a bad example, but i think his point was that ud does play teams home and home that are comparable to wright state, and that's true. they've had better seasons than toledo these past two years. just look at miami. both xavier and dayton play them home and home, and not only has miami's rpi and records been comparable (actually worse) than wright state's the past two years, wright state has beaten miami the past two years.

Last edited by xubrew; 11-15-2008 at 12:00 AM..
Old 11-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
One thing about playing Wright State is that once it starts, it is hard to stop. If Brownell leaves and that program goes in the tank, we are stuck with home and home vs. a real crapper IMO. I don't like the inflexibility of WSU in demanding the home and home. Right now, I just don't feel convinced that they have demonstrated the staying power to make this a long term quality match-up. I don't think many deny that over the last few years, the games would have been fairly good. These other teams that we play home and home with are easy to drop if they are going through a rough spell. And it is hard to erase the memory of how uninteresting the games eventually became between UD and Wright State when we played. WSU just wants something a little more compelling to energize and grow their fanbase, and this game would bring some clout. And I think it would be at some expense to UD's program. To me, there just are not enough compelling reasons for UD to commit to home and homes. Maybe they should explore a home and home deal with Xavier. They are only 45 minutes apart. Natural rivals. We all know how that would turn out and the reasons why. Now, UD has not had as much success as Xavier lately, but the reasons are the same, just to a different degree. And I really do not like the Nutter Center, but that is another topic.

Last edited by Fudd; 11-15-2008 at 12:25 AM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-15-2008), Fairborn Fan (11-16-2008), IAFlyer (11-15-2008), JimBo (11-15-2008), longtimefan (11-15-2008), udhoopsfan (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
One thing about playing Wright State is that once it starts, it is hard to stop. If Brownell leaves and that program goes in the tank, we are stuck with home and home vs. a real crapper IMO. I don't like the inflexibility of WSU in demanding the home and home. Right now, I just don't feel convinced that they have demonstrated the staying power to make this a long term quality match-up. I don't think many deny that over the last few years, the games would have been fairly good. These other teams that we play home and home with are easy to drop if they are going through a rough spell. And it is hard to get the memory of how uninteresting the games eventually became between UD and Wright State when we played. To me, there just are not enough compelling reasons for UD to commit to home and homes. And I really do not like the Nutter Center, but that is another topic.

Ditto
Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 AM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
One thing about playing Wright State is that once it starts, it is hard to stop...
You make a good point, I heard Kissel say that if we play them again it won't be made into a big deal like the "Gem City Jam" because you can't stop playing them if you need to.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:00 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Once Brownell leaves the Raiders will be back to where they were four years ago. They don't have the institution or the program in place to sustain success, and all of their fans know that fact down deep in their heart of hearts. Yeah, they have a big, new building but they have to openly give tickets away to get it more than 40% filled for their best games in the midst of what could be termed their golden era.

Their coach is the whole show, and their fans have got to push for a renewal of the Jem City Jam while they think they have a window of opportunity. Once coach is gone, they will fall silent again.

Meanwhile, if we've signed a home and home, we'll dearly regret it.

But, if Brownell would guarantee he'd be there for a while, I just might like to see us work something out.

Last edited by bobber; 11-15-2008 at 03:10 AM..
Old 11-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Oh!! No!!

Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 View Post
Johnny Ridiculous, the walking contradiction.
And once again a Skunkeye fan comes out of the closet.

Go Illinois !!!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 AM
1st Lieutenant

ChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to all
Think Outside the box....

Use creative thinking in the situation. Set up a 4 game contract between the two schools. Winner gets the home game the next year on the schedule. At worse, we split and it's a home/home. This could be done with ease considering how long UD takes to put a schedule together. Make the game worth something more then what it was in the past.

I'd like to see the 2 teams play, personally. It would be better then the hyphenated universities we get in here day in and day out. I agree with TPIR, and also see how a decline in their product could hurt scheduling. That being said, doesn't a decline by the bottom feeders in the A10 hurt as well?

FYI rollo, in 93 they played in the NCAA and we wre 4-26. They've had more NBA players drafted then us since 1990, and have been to the NCAA Tournament more recently then us. Please bring up the usual excuses of injuries, recruiting miscues, etc that justify lower half A10 finishes for us. Please tell me how finishing 7th in the A10 is better then finishing second in the Horizon league. Tell me how they have 2 20 win seasons in a row and we do not. Tell me how Brad Brownell s_ucks as a coach just because he runs WSU, yet he's won wherever he's been, and was arguably more prepared to run this program then BG was.

Man it's funny seeing how delusional and uppity some of you are regarding their program. TK lemmings like you aren't the answer but part of the problem. You'd rather see soccer and other sports improve to regular NCAA participants while the sport that pays the bills flounders in mediocrity with 8th and 7th place finishes in a league we have no business finishing less then third year in and out, and be happy with it. Then you say that becasue of the tradition of UD Arena and what not we should be ranked every year. I'm sorry, the product inside the building makes the building. Tradition is history, it doesn't win now.

Maybe Tim Wabler will be the fresh thinker this program needs. I'm sure Bob Grant the WSU AD is a more personable man, and would be more willing to talk stuff like this through then his predecessor Mike Cusack ever was. I bet he and Kissell sucked the life out of a room....
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisSFlyer View Post
Use creative thinking in the situation. Set up a 4 game contract between the two schools. Winner gets the home game the next year on the schedule. At worse, we split and it's a home/home. This could be done with ease considering how long UD takes to put a schedule together. Make the game worth something more then what it was in the past.

I'd like to see the 2 teams play, personally. It would be better then the hyphenated universities we get in here day in and day out. I agree with TPIR, and also see how a decline in their product could hurt scheduling. That being said, doesn't a decline by the bottom feeders in the A10 hurt as well?

FYI rollo, in 93 they played in the NCAA and we wre 4-26. They've had more NBA players drafted then us since 1990, and have been to the NCAA Tournament more recently then us. Please bring up the usual excuses of injuries, recruiting miscues, etc that justify lower half A10 finishes for us. Please tell me how finishing 7th in the A10 is better then finishing second in the Horizon league. Tell me how they have 2 20 win seasons in a row and we do not. Tell me how Brad Brownell s_ucks as a coach just because he runs WSU, yet he's won wherever he's been, and was arguably more prepared to run this program then BG was.

Man it's funny seeing how delusional and uppity some of you are regarding their program. TK lemmings like you aren't the answer but part of the problem. You'd rather see soccer and other sports improve to regular NCAA participants while the sport that pays the bills flounders in mediocrity with 8th and 7th place finishes in a league we have no business finishing less then third year in and out, and be happy with it. Then you say that becasue of the tradition of UD Arena and what not we should be ranked every year. I'm sorry, the product inside the building makes the building. Tradition is history, it doesn't win now.

Maybe Tim Wabler will be the fresh thinker this program needs. I'm sure Bob Grant the WSU AD is a more personable man, and would be more willing to talk stuff like this through then his predecessor Mike Cusack ever was. I bet he and Kissell sucked the life out of a room....

Good post and thoughts. The problem is UD has nothing to win and everything to lose by playing the University of Fairborn. A loss to them could affect recruiting, which we have a huge advantage in right now. Miami and UD have a long standing tradition. UD and UF do not in Mens BBall. I would only consider the game in a 2 for 1 home situation. We have the chips, UF does not.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 AM
1st Lieutenant

ChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to all
The only disagreement I have with your stance tony, is that UD and WSU recruit in different circles the each other. BG is a capable recruiter, I wish I had half his sales skills. Brownell recruits a different type of player. He recruits kids who fit well into his system and are somewhat limited, but solid athletes. BG recruits athletic talent, and tries to mold that talent into a team concept. Not saying either way is wrong, I just think it's a fundamental difference, and you also don't see kids considering WSU and us at the same time.

Ultimately recruiting comes down to where a kid feels comfortable. Be it here, WSU, Miami or wherever, it's their choice. I would be more concerned if WSU started getting more TV time and exposure then us, but right now it's not happening, and I would hope to God this new A10 commish gets us a new TV contract ASAP. To me, that should be Tim Wabler's #1 or1A priority for our program.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:35 AM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Please tell me how finishing 7th in the A10 is better then finishing second in the Horizon league.
Ok, I'll tell you. We finished 8th in the A-10 last year and beat the 2nd place team in the Horizon League. Also, the 9th place team in the A-10 made the NIT. The 3rd place team in the Horizon did not.

Last edited by longtimefan; 11-15-2008 at 10:44 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-16-2008), Flyergrad (11-16-2008), IAFlyer (11-15-2008), John R (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
1st Lieutenant

Big D is on a distinguished road
The only disagreement I have with your stance tony, is that UD and WSU recruit in different circles the each other. BG is a capable recruiter, I wish I had half his sales skills. Brownell recruits a different type of player. He recruits kids who fit well into his system and are somewhat limited, but solid athletes. BG recruits athletic talent, and tries to mold that talent into a team concept. Not saying either way is wrong, I just think it's a fundamental difference, and you also don't see kids considering WSU and us at the same time.
That's not true. UD and WSU have recruited many of the same players recently. So far UD hasn't lost a recruit to WSU. Mickey Perry visited WSU and UD the same weekend, before he chose UD.

If you check some of UD's recruiting websites, you will see other overlaps as well.
2009 recruits: Matt Kavanaugh, Aaron Robinson, Stephon Johnson, D'Mitri Riggs, DJ Cooper, and Bill Edwards were recruited by both schools.
2010 recruits: Griffin McKenzie, Ralph Hill, Josh Sewell, Greg Gainey, and Richaud Pack are being recruited by both schools.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Big D View Post
That's not true. UD and WSU have recruited many of the same players recently. So far UD hasn't lost a recruit to WSU. Mickey Perry visited WSU and UD the same weekend, before he chose UD.

If you check some of UD's recruiting websites, you will see other overlaps as well.
2009 recruits: Matt Kavanaugh, Aaron Robinson, Stephon Johnson, D'Mitri Riggs, DJ Cooper, and Bill Edwards were recruited by both schools.
2010 recruits: Griffin McKenzie, Ralph Hill, Josh Sewell, Greg Gainey, and Richaud Pack are being recruited by both schools.
Start talking about WSU and Big D comes out of hibernation.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Ultimately recruiting comes down to where a kid feels comfortable. Be it here, WSU, Miami or wherever, it's their choice. I would be more concerned if WSU started getting more TV time and exposure then us, but right now it's not happening, and I would hope to God this new A10 commish gets us a new TV contract ASAP. To me, that should be Tim Wabler's #1 or1A priority for our program.

Excellent point about our top priority being a new tv contract that actually gets us exposure
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 AM

Thumbs down He's back

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Start talking about WSU and Big D comes out of hibernation.
Yes he does.

Big D= Mr Ralph Raider.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Captain

SideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond reputeSideshowBob has a reputation beyond repute
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Some really crappy teams from low conferences get into the NCAA regularly by winning their conf tournaments. Do we want home and home games with them too? Does 1993 define our program? How is that relevant? And yes, a Russian guy who went to WSU in the 90's and played maybe 2 seasons as a back up thug in the NBA compells me to play these guys at their place every other year from now on. Give me a break.

Last edited by SideshowBob; 11-15-2008 at 01:04 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SideshowBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-15-2008), John R (11-16-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 PM

And let's not forget the A-10 got 3 teams in the NCAA and 4 in the NIT, while the Horizon got one and one. A team that tied for second place in the Horizon didn't even make the NIT.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM

The u of fairborn lost by 8. That drops them to 6th in the state

Last edited by Tony T 71; 11-16-2008 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: mistakes!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone with half a brain knows that the smallest percentage of fans post online; yet the wsu fans online seem to think that udpride is the single voice for all UD fans.
http://raiderroundball.yuku.com/topi...m-UDpride.html

Why don't we use their logic and conclude that based on these posts wsu doesn't want to play
UD and drop the subject

Last edited by NCkevi; 11-15-2008 at 10:52 PM..
Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
my two sense...

First of all I love UD basketball - the program, the facilities, the integrity of the coach and players, the support of the city and the fans, the tradition, the David vs Goliath possibilities for exhilarating victory against overwhelming odds - but I cannot understand why there is so much negativity against playing Wright State.

I could understand it if they were not a division one school, but come on, would you really rather see Wofford, Delaware State, Bethune-Cookman, Mercer, Troy, Coppin State, UNC Greensboro and deny Wright State a game? Couldn't the Flyers exchange one of those for a local Div I rival who has achieved at least a little bit of hard earned respect over the past few years?

I'm a fan of college basketball. I applaud the athletes and programs. There is something deeply wonderful about the skills of the players and dedication of the fans. Why not celebrate the expanded village to include the Raiders? If I still lived in Dayton my son would probably go to Wright State with my limited finances instead of my beloved UD. I'm sure a lot of UD supporters are in the same boat.

I hope Wright State wins every game this year except when they play the Flyers in the NCAA tournament.

Maybe a long-term home and home agreement would not be favorable to UD. I like the idea someone proposed of one game per year at the home of last year's winner. (1st game at UD of course.) That doesn't sound like an impossible deal to work out.

Enough - Go Flyers! I really think this year could be magic...
Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tirebiter
I could understand it if they were not a division one school, but come on, would you really rather see Wofford, Delaware State, Bethune-Cookman, Mercer, Troy, Coppin State, UNC Greensboro and deny Wright State a game? Couldn't the Flyers exchange one of those for a local Div I rival who has achieved at least a little bit of hard earned respect over the past few years?

Maybe a long-term home and home agreement would not be favorable to UD. I like the idea someone proposed of one game per year at the home of last year's winner. (1st game at UD of course.) That doesn't sound like an impossible deal to work out.
Since your new I'll assume you haven't read the 1000s of posts that have rehashed this - wsu has refused to play UD unless it's a home-home deal - something UD is NOT giving Wofford, Delaware State, Bethune-Cookman, Mercer, Troy, Coppin State, UNC Greensboro . . .

One of the reasons many people get upset discussing playing wsu is that the same people bring up the same arguements multiple times on why UD-wsu should play and it gets old rehashing it over and over and over again - You may want to try the search function next time to get the history so you don't get caught up in the cross fire.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-16-2008), John R (11-16-2008)
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
too lazy to search the past...

Sorry to seem so naive about the WS/UD continuing controversy - consider it put to rest - - all I want is to see the Flyers stay healthy and win 25+ games this year. I firmly believe UD is the best team in Ohio this year. I will not be surprised to see them in the top fifteen nationally again. GO FLYERS!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Major General

what's interesting about this thread, and there is no denying it, is that it proves how hyper-aware ud fans are of wright state's program.

the original post simply raised the question about the top teams in ohio. wsu was one of the teams that it mentioned, along with ohio state, xavier, uc and the mac conference. it didn't even come out in support of renewing the gem city jam. in fact, it was against renewing the gem city jam, and supported the idea of some sort of ohio classic instead, in which wright state would be one of eight teams included. from that, it turned into a discussion revolving almost exclusively around wright state. ud fans DO care about wright state even though they don't play them. of all the teams that were mentioned, wright state became the focal point of the thread, even though the original post was actually against the idea of playing them.

Originally Posted by murphy98 View Post
OSU looking pretty good tonight seems to be reloaded to be pretty good but too young again to make a huge run

XU still the class of Ohio Basketball ? Would be nice to see that Holiday tourney with the Flyers, Raiders, OSU and maybe a few MAC teams and Cincy....

Where would UD and WSU finish against the MAC Ohio teams this year ?

Better then the Gem City Jam
if you spend this much energy trying to convince yourself of something, then maybe you're not totally convinced of it in the first place. if you were, it would be self evident. no one talks about playing youngstonw state home and home. it's so evident that you shouldn't that it warrants no discussion. however, EVERYONE seems to talk about wsu, even in threads like this when the subject is totally unprovoked. for a program that complains about how difficult it is to complete their schedule because no one will play them, it seems luidcrious to not even consider a moderately successful mid-major that's ten minutes down the road and has a similiar issue. over the past two years, they've proven themselves to be more worthy of a home and home than miami. maybe both xu and ud should look into a home and home. in the case of ud, it seems like they're spending a lot of time and energy when it comes to making a strong effort to NOT consider it. how ironic.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
masonflyer (11-16-2008)
Old 11-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
I think Xavier should give Wright State a home-and-home. Seriously why not, xubrew. They're geographically close and the WSU and Xavier situations are about the same, aren't they? I mean by that each school is a fine institution in academics and athletics and each is at the top of their respective conferences. And each school has a young, up and coming coach.

So, what's not to like? This would be a great match up.

What do you say, xubrew? When will Xavier play WSU home and home?

Last edited by bobber; 11-16-2008 at 05:03 AM..
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-16-2008)
Old 11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Academy Doolie

XUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these partsXUFAN02 is infamous around these parts
Xavier only wants to do home and home series with BCS or high mid major programs. We can get home games with teams like Wright State. This season alone we have Toledo and OU coming to the Cintas without a return game next season. Why play Wright State in a home and home when we are getting teams like Bulter, LSU, Virginia, Kansas State, Tennessee, UC, and Wake Forest next season?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
[quote=xubrew;73864]what's interesting about this thread, and there is no denying it, is that it proves how hyper-aware ud fans are of wright state's program.

When did you convert to being a UD fan?
You have posted on this lame thread 5 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Wink Scared?

Originally Posted by XUFAN02 View Post
Xavier only wants to do home and home series with BCS or high mid major programs. We can get home games with teams like Wright State. This season alone we have Toledo and OU coming to the Cintas without a return game next season. Why play Wright State in a home and home when we are getting teams like Bulter, LSU, Virginia, Kansas State, Tennessee, UC, and Wake Forest next season?
Why not?

I thought the last time they played at the Nut House X went down.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I think Xavier should give Wright State a home-and-home. Seriously why not, xubrew. They're geographically close and the WSU and Xavier situations are about the same, aren't they? I mean by that each school is a fine institution in academics and athletics and each is at the top of their respective conferences. And each school has a young, up and coming coach.

So, what's not to like? This would be a great match up.

What do you say, xubrew? When will Xavier play WSU home and home?
xavier plays miami home and home. i'd have no issues with a home and home with wright state. we could go back to playing two exhibition games instead of one in regards to total ticket sales, and play one less guarantee game. i'd actually be in favor of that. wsu is the only team from the cincinnati/dayton area that xavier doesn't play home and home. xavier actually did try and get a series going with wright state, but xu wanted two-for-one and wsu wanted a straight up home and home.

you missed the point, though. the mere mention of wright state is a sure way to get at least thirty replies. that's not the case on the xavier site, or anyone else's site for that matter.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Captain

Xenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to behold
I actually always grew up rooting for WSU as well, and always like to see them win except for when they play UD. I've even posted over at raiderroundball some (I use the same handle as this board). I wouldn't mind seeing the GCJ renewed, but understand the reasons not to do it. As far as WSU being better than other teams to whom we give home-and homes, well the numbers don't really support that assertion. I went to kenpom.com and averaged the ratings since 1999 for some of the other home-and-homes which were brought up in this thread. Here ya go:

Creighton: 53
UD: 86.7
Miami: 96.9
George Mason: 103.1
Toledo: 115.4
Akron: 125.2
WSU: 166.3

Things have changed over the last two or three seasons to be sure, but overall the numbers seem to support Kissel's reasoning.