UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2017 Match Threads

2017 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Gel Washington Match

They got swept by SLU last night. The first two sets were competitive, 21-23 before SLU took over in the third and won at 16. It should be another sweep for UD tomorrow with everyone getting playing time, setting up the showdown week with VCU who got 7 votes in the coaches' poll last week...but that is getting ahead of ourselves. Take care of GW first.
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2017, 01:56 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
UD took set 1 pretty easily, 25-15. I think GW only got 2 points on serves in that set.

GW started well in set 2, but UD battled back and took it 25-23.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
UD blows late lead losing set 3 22-25

Peterson not wearing sling anymore, hopefully on road to recovery
Old 10-22-2017, 02:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow not what was expected. GW gave it their all and the flyers were able to escape and avoid a 5th set.

Something we've seen earlier in the season the flyers allowing large runs by the opponents.

A W is a W not pretty but a wakeup call for sure.

4th set UD 25 - 21
Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Wow not what was expected. GW gave it their all and the flyers were able to escape and avoid a 5th set.

Something we've seen earlier in the season the flyers allowing large runs by the opponents.

A W is a W not pretty but a wakeup call for sure.

4th set UD 25 - 21
I don’t think it’s a wake up call at all. This isn’t the same team as last year. There’s no waking up to do when you’re about this good. That’s what they are: good. Not great. Certainly not yet in sync and they don’t have a lot of time to sort that out. This Dayton team can beat any in the A10 but they can also lose to any. It’s past time wondering when all cylinders will be firing, at least for me. I see the coaches dealing with the revolving door in the Trainer’s room, the players trying to find a rhythm with whoever the heck is out there next (Weaver this week - hope she stays healthy), and the team not quitting or pointing fingers when this season clearly hasn’t gone as they expected or hoped.

I’m going to enjoy watching this team and applaud the successes and support them during the inevitable missteps. From my perspective, they’ve earned that much and more. Go Flyers!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:27 PM
General of the Air Force

Sorry but I will stick with my wakeup call mantra, SLU beat this team 3-0 and we were expected to do the same. UD came out poised and should have stole GW fire, so mch so that I walked away from the streaming to make lunch, came back to be down 10-4. We let our foot off the pedal in the second set giving GW momentum which they carried throughout the match. Can't take a team with only 3 conference wins lightly, respect all opponents.

We all know this is not last years team but TH will tell you as he told me at the beginning of the season they expected this years team to be better. Then the injuries came and we still deal with them but our play after the first set was not UD vball.

Great comeback in second set when they were 8 down to close it out, but we gave GW a lot of hope going into the locker room. And it showed when they came out and took 3rd set with us leading late. We of course returned the favor in the 4th set but it was nerve wracking as we couldn't maintain a lead till the end when it counted.

To me its a wakeup call as SLU beat GW in 3 sets and SLU is a measuring stick of sorts as they are putting it together while we are winning but not that convincingly. SLU is 8-2 in confernce with their two losses to Dayton.

Next week will be the tell all. SLU vs VCU on Friday and UD vs VCU on Sunday VCU is 9 - 0 in league with giving up only 1 set in 10 matches. We cannot play next week like we did this weekend and walk away with the W.

Next weekend would be a good time to start playing UD vball and get synchronized. UD isn't bad giving up only 4 sets in 8 wins but not yet on par with VCU. Like I said next week is the tell all.

We have 6 matches remaining and two will be tough, at VCU and GW who will licking there chops to get after UD again.

VCU has 3 tough matches, SLU UD and at Duquesne. Crunch time. Go Flyers.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 10-22-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Not denying at all that this team was expected to be better. And anyone is free to stick to whatever talk track/storyline they’re comfortable with. My position remains the same as well - I don’t believe “waking up” is the problem if they are playing to their current ability level. I don’t believe Jane isn’t trying to set consistently to her revolving cast of hitters. I also don’t believe they aren’t trying to play better defense, or hit more consistently (with us once again going back to a 6-2, and the hitters having to try to get in sync with 3 setters setting this weekend v 1 setter virtually all of last year). I also see the coaches trying to insert new hitters into the back row and those hitters playing through the adjustment. Let’s be honest - they aren’t passing as well as Maggie or Laura, but apparently the thinking is that the back row offensive potential is worth the growing pains, with the hope that the setters will have options throughout the court come tourney time.
I would emphasize ‘growing pains’ and ‘sync’, however, as opposed to your ‘wake up call’. There’s a big difference in athletics between growing into a skill or comfort level with a new approach and being apathetic about that skill/approach. One is a normal occurrence every athlete or team goes through and the other requires a wake up call. I think that’s where we see this team very differently, AF. They certainly have the POTENTIAL to be better, and only time and reps will help them there, but I don’t see any evidence of them taking any team lightly. Would be interested to hear why you feel differently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Mackenzie Weaver is A10 POW.
http://www.daytonflyers.com/news/201...-the-week.aspx
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-23-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
GW game - long term planning

Am posting this thought in response to UDVBfan's post about this game.

The game statistics indicate that TH has played Weaver (note - A10 POW) and Doherty more recently. This means we should have quality starters and some depth at all 6 positions next year. It also means the same for this years A10 tournament.

Since VCU is the second game this week end, I expect to see liberal use of the depth against Davidson and a "shortening of the bench" for VCU.
Mad Props to UDSpud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDSpud View Post
Am posting this thought in response to UDVBfan's post about this game.

The game statistics indicate that TH has played Weaver (note - A10 POW) and Doherty more recently. This means we should have quality starters and some depth at all 6 positions next year. It also means the same for this years A10 tournament.

Since VCU is the second game this week end, I expect to see liberal use of the depth against Davidson and a "shortening of the bench" for VCU.
Shortening of the bench would not include Doherty and Weaver because we are playing a 6-2 system. In that system both setters play 3 backrow rotations. The advantages of that are your setters are more fresh, you have more hitters on the floor all the time, and in this case we don't have a 5'10" or shorter setter playing the front row and blocking, which many hitters can just hit over their block attempts.

The system added an extra hitter and to be specific, another Rightside hitter, who is technically Weaver, but she also hits from the left pin. And Bruins and Sloan hit from both pins even tho they are technically left side OHs.

The other change has been when Brooke got hurt, Sierra Pla has been playing her Rightside OH spot and doing a good job blocking. Her attacking is still a work in progress.

The 6-2 has 2 setters and 6 hitters - 2 MBs, 2 leftside OHs and 2 Rightside OHs. The 5-1 system has 1 setter and 5 hitters in the rotation with only 1 Rightside OH. The "odd man out" in the 6-2 is a DS. In this case that is Maggie Schutter, to no fault of her own and TH has gotten her in some when substitutions allow it. It's the system, no her play that is dictating her playing time.

I do agree the VCU match probably won't be a blowout and therefore we won't see other players down the bench, which with our injuries isn't really that many at this point. It's down to Maggie, Jordan, Brooke and Olivia and to be honest, if someone is struggling, there is plenty of experience in those four that they could see action.

Very strange year. Usually TH teams lock down a rotation and stick with it. Not this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-25-2017), Glen Clark (10-30-2017)