User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Dumb Superstitions

OK, lets hear it. I can not be the only one who found myself being a bit superstitious in the last few games, especially during the tournament. I will go first, and admit three of them.

1. I picked the same score 65 to 58 Flyers in all 4 predict the score threads during the tournament.

2. I wore the same red golf shirt all 4 days (yes it was washed between games- maybe that is where I screwed up)

3. At home watching, anytime the Flyers were on a run, I would not change seats in the house. Our opponent would go on a run, and I might even change rooms in the house and go to a different TV.
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM
1st Lieutenant

FORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of light
I wore the same blue Dayton shirt for all 4 games, (only washing it after the 'Cuse game. That was tough to do with Florida's colors and wanted to be part of the sea of red.

Sat on my nephews left during the Cuse came at his house and his left in Memphis twice. Same jeans & shoes too.

A lady behind me in Memphis at Stanford game asked if she could rub my "mostly" bald head since she did that at home when watching.
Mad Props to FORTFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 10:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, this is embarrassing. On the morning of the games I would use the soap and shampoo I lifted from the Hyatt in Maui. Figured they did good while I was there so I should do something Maui. I wore the Red Flyers shirt I wore during the Gonzaga game for each of these. And most importantly, no matter how nervous I was during the games, I waited until the end to pour my Crown on the Rocks. It was going to be a celebratory drink rather than for medicinal purposes during the game.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Fort & Smitty....at least 3 of us so far, brave enough to admit what we did.

I rarely am superstituous about anything other than my Flyers. Oh wait, and golf. If I am on a streak of pars and birdies, I will never wash my golf ball. It could be brown with mud and I keep hitting away!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:10 PM
2nd Lieutenant

OSUdaytonFAN will become famous soon enough
1. I wore the same UD shirt for all four games, but only washed it after the Stanford game (that was a huge mistake )
2. The first three games I watched on the couch at home. This weekend I was in Chicago, therefore I wasn't on my couch.

So yeah, appears it was my fault the team lost
Mad Props to OSUdaytonFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
westchesterflyer (04-01-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 PM
1st Lieutenant

TheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to all
I packed the same clothes for Memphis as I did for Buffalo.
Painted my face the same way and did my hair the same way for each game.
Told reporters repeatedly that we were going to the Final Four haha
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Wore the same t-shirt, golf shirt and sweatshirt and hat for each game and watched at my sons house. It's important to find the "sweet spot" in the house.
When you find it you stay until things go bad and it changes for each game but for a short time can be used for multiple games.

As an aside, my daughter in Missouri called to tell me my 8 year old grandson was crying when we lost...he's a Flyer for Life in training.
Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:45 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,219 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I would only drink my Miller Lites from bottles and not cans during games. ;-)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,162 Times in 2,320 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
For each game, I cheered for every score, and was ****ed off for every stupid turnover, and jumped up-and-down when the win was final.

Does that count as superstitious behavior?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-31-2014), Flyer 86 (04-01-2014), Sea Bass (04-01-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Wore my light blue "newsboy" hat and the same light blue hoodie with a "permanently-borrowed" Red Scare T-shirt underneath for all 4 games. Also wore my red Chuck Taylor hi-tops for the last 3 games, and bought a 6 of Shock Top for the Stanford game, b/c that's what I drink at The Arena. Finally, pulled-out my horn & serenaded my cul-de-sac with a double-chorus of "Victory" after the Stanford game. Forgot to take the horn with me to our friends' house for the Florida game, so the loss must be my fault.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-01-2014), UDEE79 (03-31-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 PM
2nd Lieutenant

LowesFlyer is a jewel in the roughLowesFlyer is a jewel in the roughLowesFlyer is a jewel in the roughLowesFlyer is a jewel in the rough
Its Only Weird if it Doesn't Work

So my old roommate and I watched three and a half games together this season. We lost the first three, and then both went home at half of the STL game.

After we came back to win that one, we promised we wouldn't watch the games together. Once the tournament started, that proved problematic as a large contingent of our fraternity brothers in Cincinnati organized a get together at a bar for both the OSU and Syracuse games.

I wasn't happy, but I volunteered to be the one to stay home while my buddy stayed at the bar. As a result, I'd meet up for a beer pre-game, run home real quick, and watch the game. After the victories, I'd head right back and partake in the celebration with all of our friends.

On the bright side, I was the one that got to go to Memphis.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to LowesFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-01-2014), number21 (04-01-2014), Smitty10 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
For each game, I cheered for every score, and was ****ed off for every stupid turnover, and jumped up-and-down when the win was final.

Does that count as superstitious behavior?
I was about to post something similar. I yelled at the TV when we are on defense and had lapses.

I jumped up and down on the important buckets. of which there were plenty key and big ones.

I took pee breaks every tv timeout.

I filled my wine or beer up on alternate commercial breaks.

GUILTY!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanked 2,210 Times in 975 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Sometime around Christmas/New Years, i lost my grey newsboy hat. On the morning of February 1st, I found it on the floor in my closet. Wore it for every game the remainder of the season.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
yes it was washed between games- maybe that is where I screwed up
absolutely
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
I enjoyed seeing pics of Morgan Miller ... hopefully that isn't dumb.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LowesFlyer View Post
So my old roommate and I watched three and a half games together this season. We lost the first three, and then both went home at half of the STL game.

After we came back to win that one, we promised we wouldn't watch the games together. Once the tournament started, that proved problematic as a large contingent of our fraternity brothers in Cincinnati organized a get together at a bar for both the OSU and Syracuse games.

I wasn't happy, but I volunteered to be the one to stay home while my buddy stayed at the bar. As a result, I'd meet up for a beer pre-game, run home real quick, and watch the game. After the victories, I'd head right back and partake in the celebration with all of our friends.

On the bright side, I was the one that got to go to Memphis.
Love it!!!! Now that's some extreme precautions you guys took.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 PM
1st Lieutenant

udflyer191 has a spectacular aura aboutudflyer191 has a spectacular aura about
I also predicted the same score in all 4 tournament games. 74-64. Felt like I was doing my part haha.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
exhausted

I never really thought of myself as terribly superstitious, but, the tourney run brought out the worst in me.

I did the following:

1. Wore the same UD shirt and pullover for each game. Did wash between
games.
2. Took my dog for a walk along the same route on each game day. With
each win, we "advanced" the walk a little further.
3. Drank water from the same Arby's cup for each game, and felt compelled
to refill the cup at each commercial break.
4. I live in a small house, 2 bathrooms. Made sure the toilet lid nearest the
Flyer's basket was left up, while the toilet lid nearest our opponents basket
was down. Switched at the half.
Thanks for posting. I feel slightly less crazy now.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sopaw10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Falcon7 (04-06-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-01-2014), rollo (04-01-2014), Smitty10 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

FORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of lightFORTFLYERFAN is a glorious beacon of light
During the OSU game I had both my basement & bedroom TV's on & my kitchen radio on WHIO. So even though I watched the Syracuse at my nephew's, I left both TVs and radio on at home. While I was in Memphis my wife texted me to say she had all 3 good luck charm appliances on.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
My wife and I celebrated by not having sex during the run. Now that it's over, nothing much has changed.....so the Flyers should get off to roaring start in 2014-15 season.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
My wife and I celebrated by not having sex during the run. Now that it's over, nothing much has changed.....so the Flyers should get off to roaring start in 2014-15 season.
SLUFLYER, since no one posted after this one for some while now, I cannot resist:

OUCHHH!

Last edited by forego1; 04-06-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
Same clothes, did not change or wash them. (Yea, I slept in the spare bedroom)
Popped a beer every time Kav scored. But would also switch to whiskey & ginger ale later in each game. (But would still pop a beer every time Kav scored).
Drank a shot with my kid after each win.
Would not pick us to win, I was pretty sure we would beat OSU so I made no prediction for that game.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I wore the same shirt to the Gonzaga, Ohio State, and Stanford games. Wore a blue rally towel on the left side of my belt, a red one on the right. Same pants for all NCAA games. Wore the same shirt to the Florida game that I had worn to the Syracuse game. Got the exact same concessions at Ohio State and Syracuse games, then the same for the Stanford and Florida games.

Parked in the same lot, almost the same space for both sets of games in each city. Drove the same route. However, I blame myself for the Florida loss. My wife and I had on SiriusXM college sports for the drive in to the first three games of the tournament but I put on the new 311 album (which is fantastic, btw) to listen to on the way to the Florida game. My brother texted me that they even played 311's "Five of Everything" on the TBS pregame show which I thought was good karma. But maybe I overdid it with the 311, played too much not knowing it was being played on the national show. I'm sorry, everyone.

My wife of course also wore the same outfit to Gonzaga/Ohio State/Stanford and then to Syracuse/Florida, but it didn't help. She was a big time good luck charm this year; she went to a bunch of games but I think her only losses were Baylor, USC, and Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 AM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
He's twenty two . . .

Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
. . . Drank a shot with my kid after each win . . .

Check ✓

Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Academy Doolie

Dick Dowd has a spectacular aura aboutDick Dowd has a spectacular aura about
All I know, and you can ask my neighbors in Section 305, the teams I root for, especially the Flyers, play better when I drink. The women who sit on either side of me are pushing for a "beer scholarship so the Flyers will never lose a home game again!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
Superstition

My story: When OSU went on a mini run my wife left the room. When she came back tUD was ahead. She said "it must be me". For the next 3 games she left the room when things looked bad. Worked for a while.