User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 11:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
Lets, examine your response and Buster's original question of " Not sure how we go from on the list of 'Next Four Out' to completely off the grid after a road win."?????

It is annoying that UD was in next four out, beat decent Duquesne in road game, but then falls off the chart. But remember, Belmont and Lipscomb played tournament games this week,, and both made it to the championship game, and UD was still playing regular season; thus Flyers still have chances to move back on to that list. If UD were to win games against SLU and Davidson, you can pretty much assume they will leap frog several of the below listed teams, especially the ones that are now done.

There are 12 teams below, and four of them are projected in the field (using current ESPN Bracketology) I assume if flyers win said games they automatically overtake Belmont, Furman, and Lipscomb...automatically because those schools are done playing. That leaves 9 schools from below list. If Saint Mary's goes down to zags, then Dayton would likely jumped Saint Mary's. That brings the list to eight; last four in and first four out; therefore, Dayton is hypothetically in the number five spot (or first team listed in next four out).

Two of the projected last four in teams, play each other in ACC Tournament, one is out, that moves UD to the fourth spot on below list (last team in the First Four Out). Another matchup of one team in the last four in and first four out is IU v. Ohio state, and one is likely out, that moves UD up to the third team out of the field. Again, thus far, assuming that wins against SLU and Davidson only move Flyers up one spot with each other variable occurring. But in reality, they might move up two or three spots just from a victory over Davidson. That could make the Flyers the first or second team out of the field.

TCU goes down to dog meat Oklahoma State, okay not likely, but possible

Creighton is also on the below list, and they play XU, who can easily beat them.

Alabama is on the below list, and they face Ole Miss, who has better record and can beat them.
Georgetown plays Seaton Hall, who has similar record, and can beat them.

I just accounted for all 12 teams on below bubble list, and you only need to over take nine of them. Three are already done, one plays the top ranked Gonzaga, four play each other in two separate games, and the winner of those two games gets Virginia and Mich. State respectively.

All things considered a potential win against Davidson would be a fairly significant win. You never know folks!

Last Four In:

NC State
TCU
Clemson
Ohio State

First Four Out:

Indiana
Belmont
Creighton
Alabama

Next Four Out:

Lipscomb
Georgetown
Saint Mary's
Furman
Stars align perfectly theory. St. Mary’s just busted that to pieces. Brooklyn or bust boys.......unless you’re rooting for an NIT game against X.

Last edited by SLUFLYER; 03-13-2019 at 12:07 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-13-2019), CT Flyer (03-13-2019)
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
IMO it's an absolute joke that sub 0.500 teams in league play are being considered. This will kill college basketball. Nobody outside of their respective fan bases wants to watch a garbage Indiana/OU/Texas/Alabama/etc squad lose in the first round. Meanwhile they will all pay lip service to the 'Cinderella's' while excluding teams that actually went out and achieved something in their respective leagues. People watch the tournament for the upsets, it makes for a fantastic tournament and great TV.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
This NC State Clemson contest is probably an elimination game.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
IMO it's an absolute joke that sub 0.500 teams in league play are being considered. This will kill college basketball. Nobody outside of their respective fan bases wants to watch a garbage Indiana/OU/Texas/Alabama/etc squad lose in the first round. Meanwhile they will all pay lip service to the 'Cinderella's' while excluding teams that actually went out and achieved something in their respective leagues. People watch the tournament for the upsets, it makes for a fantastic tournament and great TV.
I agree with and love your last sentence re: the upsets, the tournament and the TV aspect.

I just don't think it's as reasonable and fair as it used to be to draw a hardline from P5 at below .500 anymore. Those conferences are bigger now and when you may have to play 12-15 games against top 25 teams in your conference, you can be a worthy candidate with enough quality wins to merit inclusion if you're 8-10 or 9-11. I think if you have enough quality wins, you could even justify 8-12 or 7-11. I also think you can find plenty of those teams that made Sweet 16 runs, surprisingly. It's more exciting when it's a smaller school and not UCLA or Syracuse.

I feel like Indiana has a solid case. Teams like Clemson and TCU, even NC State, less of a case. I hate that a P5 can go 4-10 in Q1 games and that gets a higher "eval grade" than a small con team who goes 2-1 or 2-2. I'd like to see that changed/implemented.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:37 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
I just don't think it's as reasonable and fair as it used to be to draw a hardline from P5 at below .500 anymore. Those conferences are bigger now and when you may have to play 12-15 games against top 25 teams in your conference, you can be a worthy candidate with enough quality wins to merit inclusion if you're 8-10 or 9-11. I think if you have enough quality wins, you could even justify 8-12 or 7-11.
The problem as I see it, is that you've proven over the course of the season that you're not good enough to beat NCAA tournament teams. If you are sub-.500, that means you can't win half the games in your own league, that should translate to the fact you can't win half the games in the NCAA.

I also think you can find plenty of those teams that made Sweet 16 runs, surprisingly. It's more exciting when it's a smaller school and not UCLA or Syracuse.
This is only anecdotal. Just because some of these teams made it into the second weekend when most people didn't think they should be in the field is because of matchups. Some games are good matchups for a team, some are not.

I feel like Indiana has a solid case. Teams like Clemson and TCU, even NC State, less of a case. I hate that a P5 can go 4-10 in Q1 games and that gets a higher "eval grade" than a small con team who goes 2-1 or 2-2. I'd like to see that changed/implemented.
If it's all about good wins, then they should define what a "good win", and totally get rid of win-loss record.

The underlying question is, "What defines a NCAA tournament berth worthy team?" The answer usually seems to be, "the eye test".
Old 03-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
The problem as I see it, is that you've proven over the course of the season that you're not good enough to beat NCAA tournament teams. If you are sub-.500, that means you can't win half the games in your own league, that should translate to the fact you can't win half the games in the NCAA.

This is only anecdotal. Just because some of these teams made it into the second weekend when most people didn't think they should be in the field is because of matchups. Some games are good matchups for a team, some are not.

If it's all about good wins, then they should define what a "good win", and totally get rid of win-loss record.

The underlying question is, "What defines a NCAA tournament berth worthy team?" The answer usually seems to be, "the eye test".
Let's use Indiana as an example. They're what, 8-12 in conference? But I certainly feel like they've proven themselves as good enough to beat NCAA tournament teams. I feel like they've beaten 6 or 7 of them.

Agree that it's somewhat anecdotal. Reading your post, you seem to suggest that those teams ONLY made the 2nd weekend because of good matchups. That's not always the case and may not even be the majority of cases. Same can be said for a 12-seed from the SoCon or MAC. And because said P5 team made the Sweet 16 doesn't validate that they belonged in the tourney. I simply used that as an example to Cannonball's post that suggested the "garbage" P5 team that loses in the first round. Those "garbage" P5 teams don't always lose in the first round.

Not a big fan of the "eye test". IMO, it devalues winning/losing. But per my "eye test", I would vote OUT tOSU.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
When a P5 team that has a suspect, at best, resume and gets in and then advances far it only proves to me that they underachieved during the regular season. It should be based on actual results not what the talent on the team says they should be doing. If we wanted that we'd just have KenPom predict who won the tournament and crown them national champions because on paper they should win it.

The thing I am sick of hearing from P5 schills is that it is not their responsibility to give games, especially away games, to non-P5 schools. And when the non-P5 don't have enough opportunities and therefore not enough Q1/Q2 wins its on resume it's their own fault for not getting enough "good" games. BUT then they can't have their cake and eat it too. Actually winning games needs to become more important and when a P5 flounders through their league schedule it should be the same argument that you chose to be in your conference and play all of those "good" games so if you lose a lot of them then so be it it is on you. No one is holding a gun to their head saying they need to be in the conference they are in.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-13-2019), Canonball (03-14-2019), flyerfanatic86 (03-13-2019), UDGutter2 (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Brigadier General

Clemson, completely sh!ts the bed down the stretch, blows a huge lead and loses to the bubbly NCState. They're now 1-10 and Q1 games. If they get a bid over someone like Lipscomb or UNC-Greensboro, I may blow a gasket.

Not sure NCState belongs in either, but they live to pick another quality win or two this week.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-14-2019), CT Flyer (03-13-2019), Flyer 86 (03-13-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Was looking at teams safely in and on the bubble...

See if you can guess the teams here... or even rank them at this point.
This is based on http://www.seed-madness.com/

Team A:
6-12 vs Quad 1&2
5-6 away
17-14 overall
Non con SOS 93

Team B:
3-8 vs Quad 1&2
7-3 road
21-10 overall
Non con SOS 76

Team C:
8-12 vs Quad 1&2
5-7 away
18-13 overall
Non con SOS 155

Team D:
10-12 vs Quad 1&2
2-8 away
19-12 overall
Non con SOS 152

Team E:
4-5 vs Quad 1&2
9-4 away
24-6 overall
Non con SOS 131
Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
Just off of their records

A =
B = Flyers
C = Ohio State
D =
E = Buffalo
Mad Props to chicago92 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Brigadier General

CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chicago92 View Post
Just off of their records

A =
B = Flyers
C = Ohio State
D =
E = Buffalo
Flyers and OSU are correct. How would you rank these?
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
A probably the Hoosiers
Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Clemson, completely sh!ts the bed down the stretch, blows a huge lead and loses to the bubbly NCState. They're now 1-10 and Q1 games. If they get a bid over someone like Lipscomb or UNC-Greensboro, I may blow a gasket.

Not sure NCState belongs in either, but they live to pick another quality win or two this week.
This selection Sunday could get really ugly. So much ambiguity. This will be an all time record of wtf's on selection Sunday.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
A probably the Hoosiers
I thought it was either them or the Eggsheads. Then, I cheated and peeked. Had no clue on D, either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
Flyers and OSU are correct. How would you rank these?
If E isn’t Buffalo, then I’m guessing it’s VCU (and that is a “no-peek” guess).

Ranking is a struggle. If you base it on Quad 1/2 rankings, then D & E are the clear winners and A & B are at the bottom. However, if you look at the record away from home, then our Flyers and Team E (VCU?) have a pretty strong argument. And then, there’s the non-con. You can play the strongest teams in the land, but if you can’t beat them, then what’s the point? Similarly, if you go 11-0 against the worst teams in the land, what’s the point?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
D is TCU, Minnesota, Clemson, or Indiana.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Brigadier General

Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
From my perspective, unless something dramatic happens tonight, I still believe 2-4 NCAA spots are open.

Washington, TCU, Indiana, Clemson, NC State, Creighton, all bubble clubs that have lost on first or second day of conference tournament. Good chance OSU goes down tomorrow.
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Brigadier General

A – Florida

B – Dayton

C – Ohio St

D – Minnesota

E- Utah State

And Utah State is solidly in, not even on the bubble. I mean, it is a good resume, but is there THAT much separation from them and us here?
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Academy Doolie

434 is just really nice434 is just really nice434 is just really nice434 is just really nice
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
A – Florida

B – Dayton

C – Ohio St

D – Minnesota

E- Utah State

And Utah State is solidly in, not even on the bubble. I mean, it is a good resume, but is there THAT much separation from them and us here?
Well to start Utah State's Non Conf SOS isn't 131, it's 25. That is stronger than UD's 77. By any measure Utah St is better than UD. Compare Utah St's Net/RPI/KenPom rankings of 30/33/37 to UD's of 65/69/58.

All measures show Utah St is a better team. And you were a bit disingenuous of combining Quad 1 and 2 records. That makes UD look good, because what is the Flyer's resume lacking... a good win. 1 Quad 1 win, which after Friday may no longer be a Quad 1 win. Utah State has 2 solid Quad 1 wins, including a top 20 signature win. Had the Flyers snagged any of those close games against VCU, Miss St etc, then the resumes would be the same, and then UD likely be a legitimate at large selection. Alas, that didn't happen. So it's win in Brooklyn. No whining about the selection committee.

Last edited by 434; 03-14-2019 at 08:49 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Brigadier General

Yes there is, because UD has a 55 spot advantage in Non Conference SOS.

And Minnesota is a projected 9 seed by Lunardi; and there are losing to Penn state in second half.

Bubbles Toledo just went down to Northern Illinois in MAC Tournament; and Heavily favored Buffalo is still alive.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Brigadier General

434, no one was whinning, except yourself. And respectfully, Utah State doesn't have some incredible non-conference schedule...miss valley state and the like . Counting a 2019 PAC 12 team will hardly impress anyone, I could easily go on.

No one said Utah State shouldn't or wouldn't get in. That's your errenous interpretation of the discussion.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 PM
Academy Doolie

434 is just really nice434 is just really nice434 is just really nice434 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
434, no one was whinning, except yourself. And respectfully, Utah State doesn't have some incredible non-conference schedule...miss valley state and the like . Counting a 2019 PAC 12 team will hardly impress anyone, I could easily go on.

No one said Utah State shouldn't or wouldn't get in. That's your errenous interpretation of the discussion.
I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. First, I am not making any comments on Utah St non-conf schedule other than to point out that CoffeCan had posted an incorrect number.

Second, I was not saying Utah St wasn't deserving to get in or anyone claimed they shouldn't get in.

My point was, that in my mind CoffeeCan set up that blind resume to make UD look like a worthy discussion point for an at large selection. By combining Quad 1 and 2 wins and mis-stating Utah St non-conf SOS, it does look like UD is equal to Utah St (a deserving tourney team). What CoffeeCan was asking was there really any difference between the two. In my mind he was implying the two aren't very different. However, when you consider Utah St's actual non-conf SOS and consider only Quad 1 wins, along with multiple other rating systems, Utah St and UD are not that close. Maybe I was mis-interpreting him. I would say on the court the difference between the teams is actually pretty close, but UD didn't win those close games that would have given the Flyers an resume on par with Utah St.

The only reason I even responded was initially to correct the erroneous SOS number, but my frustration with some on this board that believe the Flyers should be part of the last 4 in/last 4 out discussion caused me to further expand on the Utah St resume. When you consider UD has only 1 Quad 1 win currently, and come Sunday may not even have that (Davidson needs to lose either tomorrow or Sat for UD to be in the final and they are near the cut line for the Flyer win at Davidson to count as Quad 1...they may fall below that cut line), I just don't know how you can consider them over any team with multiple Quad 1 wins.

As an aside, the New Mexico/Utah St game was fun to watch. Amazingly the Aggies won even though they had nearly 30 turnovers. It was like watching the Flyers trying to break a full-court press...nervewracking.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Brigadier General

Bubbles Texas jus went down. Lots of bubbles going at-least poof today, if not a total pop.

Because most of those teams have resumes littered with bad loss after bad loss; and many of us do not believe a school from a football conference deserves continual NCAA tournament opportunities just because they managed to pull their stinky pants up and win a few of the two dozen quad 1 game chances they have been given, just to turn around and drop games to Illinois, or anybody in the Pacific 12.

No one is guaranteeing that UD or any other school will get an at large bid to NCAA. Many NCAA at-large selections are real head scratchers.
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 AM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is 3pts from being an NCAA lock: the 2pt loss to URI and 1pt loss to VCU at home. If we're 15-3 we're probably A10 regular season champs, we're 23-8, and probably looking at a #9/#10 seed. That's the long and short of it.

But no sour grapes. We could have easily lost the Bonnie OT game on the road, the GW game on the road after the 28-6 start to the game, the SLU game at home, the SJU game at home, the Duquesne game at home, and the UMass game at home. Even the Ga Southern game was iffy.

This team could easily be 16-15.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Dayton is 3pts from being an NCAA lock: the 2pt loss to URI and 1pt loss to VCU at home. If we're 15-3 we're probably A10 regular season champs, we're 23-8, and probably looking at a #9/#10 seed. That's the long and short of it.

But no sour grapes. We could have easily lost the Bonnie OT game on the road, the GW game on the road after the 28-6 start to the game, the SLU game at home, the SJU game at home, the Duquesne game at home, and the UMass game at home. Even the Ga Southern game was iffy.

This team could easily be 16-15.
Don’t forget a one point win at Davidson that could have gone the other way as well.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Jerry Palm

In this article, Palm indicates that neither NC State, nor Indiana would even be in a discussion last year, but the NET favors them greatly, even though NC States non-con SOS was 352 (out of 353 teams).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ference-teams/
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by 434 View Post
I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. First, I am not making any comments on Utah St non-conf schedule other than to point out that CoffeCan had posted an incorrect number.

Second, I was not saying Utah St wasn't deserving to get in or anyone claimed they shouldn't get in.

My point was, that in my mind CoffeeCan set up that blind resume to make UD look like a worthy discussion point for an at large selection. By combining Quad 1 and 2 wins and mis-stating Utah St non-conf SOS, it does look like UD is equal to Utah St (a deserving tourney team). What CoffeeCan was asking was there really any difference between the two. In my mind he was implying the two aren't very different. However, when you consider Utah St's actual non-conf SOS and consider only Quad 1 wins, along with multiple other rating systems, Utah St and UD are not that close. Maybe I was mis-interpreting him. I would say on the court the difference between the teams is actually pretty close, but UD didn't win those close games that would have given the Flyers an resume on par with Utah St.

The only reason I even responded was initially to correct the erroneous SOS number, but my frustration with some on this board that believe the Flyers should be part of the last 4 in/last 4 out discussion caused me to further expand on the Utah St resume. When you consider UD has only 1 Quad 1 win currently, and come Sunday may not even have that (Davidson needs to lose either tomorrow or Sat for UD to be in the final and they are near the cut line for the Flyer win at Davidson to count as Quad 1...they may fall below that cut line), I just don't know how you can consider them over any team with multiple Quad 1 wins.

As an aside, the New Mexico/Utah St game was fun to watch. Amazingly the Aggies won even though they had nearly 30 turnovers. It was like watching the Flyers trying to break a full-court press...nervewracking.
I had no idea my dad was on this message board. I will be sure to do the dishes. Can I borrow the car this weekend, as long as I promise not to mix up any SOS numbers? Thanks, Dad. You are the best.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:41 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Don't look now -- Memphis coming on STRONG. Before beating UCF today they are 54 in the NET. If they make the final they could have a shot at an at-large.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of surprise selections this year from the committee. No one knows exactly how exactly how the NET is going to be used as its rankings compared to others is significantly different.
Mad Props to bigred For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of surprise selections this year from the committee. No one knows exactly how the NET is going to be used as its rankings compared to others is significantly different.

It probably will be used to put 19-14 P-5 teams in ahead of 27-5 mid-majors.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (03-15-2019), Runnin' Rebel (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
X and Nova in OT
Old 03-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
X and Nova in OT
Nova up 6 with 2:21
Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Captain

rasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to beholdrasta man is a splendid one to behold
Virginia down 9 with 1:39 left to Fla St. If this holds, who gets the #1 overall seed?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
It probably will be used to put 19-14 P-5 teams in ahead of 27-5 mid-majors.
Sad but true.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Duke NC game is awesome. Taking my mind off our train wreck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 PM

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
The NIT selection show will air live on ESPNU at 8:30pm on Sunday.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019...tic_qualifiers
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Browns (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post

Yawn...the equivalent of kissing your sister.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be the least bit surprised when we draw Indiana in the first game. I'm betting my portion of UDScotts pizza on it.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Don't be the least bit surprised when we draw Indiana in the first game. I'm betting my portion of UDScotts pizza on it.
IU will be a 1 or 2 seed so there's no chance we see them. Same with _avier.

I'll be my portion of udscott's pizza on it, too!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Still have Oho State in at 19 -14 and conference record of 8-12???? If they don't make it...there could be a match-up of Ohio State, Indiana, Xavier or Wright State. Wouldn't mind seeing a first round match with any of the first three.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy we are all hopin for an NIT invite!

The slogan for the NIT should be 'Not ready for PRIME TIME'
Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Brigadier General

Here is what it boils down to in my opinion.

We just went on "Deal or No Deal"

We ended up with the case with $25,000.
While it is nice to have that $25,000 it is hard to be happy when you leave that $1,000,000 case on the board.

What could have been.
SLUFLYER (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
Boy we are all hopin for an NIT invite!

The slogan for the NIT should be 'Not ready for PRIME TIME'
Nobody is "hoping" for an NIT invite. EVERYBODY wanted the NCAA bid. It was there for the taking, we lost, to a team who was simply tougher than us.

Knowing that the NIT is our only landing spot now, folks are looking forward to what might be some fun and interesting matchups. That's all. Don't take it out of context.

My wife has several degrees from SLU and I have a litany of Billiken friends and colleagues. Few Flyer fans are more disappointed than me with last night's result. But I can say that as down as I am this morning about it, I too would get reenergized and reengaged with the thought of an NIT matchup (probably second round) against a _avier or Indiana.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:36 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
No Gem City Jam this year unless it is in the 2nd round of the NIT or something.

A 1st round NIT match-up with Xavier, Ohio State, or Indiana would not surprise me at all.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:15 PM

We drop down to a 6 seed. We are only 2 spots from the cutoff line. We are the 2nd to last team in. Providence is the last at-large team.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/
Old 03-16-2019, 09:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Looks Like

Dayton @ Indiana to me.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
We drop down to a 6 seed. We are only 2 spots from the cutoff line. We are the 2nd to last team in. Providence is the last at-large team.

I don’t care what the agreement between us and the NIT is. Of course we will be a six seed. Why give us a home game unless it is absolutely necessary? They drop Dayton to a five or six, their tournament can go on as scheduled. No interruptions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Dayton @ Indiana to me.
I’m guessing Dayton at Norwood Tech, so they can play-up the whole Jimmy Carter, “snubbed by the Big East” angle. And, if that happens, then our guys need to be more ready than they were on Friday against SLU.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 AM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

That says we're a 5 seed. We're also ahead of Wichita State and San Francisco. If St Louis loses today they could get in. Let's hope they win. It sucks that there are nine automatic bids.

Last edited by longtimefan; 03-17-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
If we play at Norwood or Bloomington, we get smoked.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:59 AM

According to this, we could also play at Toledo.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Brigadier General

Sorry to divert from the NIT posts, as I am interested in what/where the Flyers land. I'm confident (90%) we'll be playing in the NIT somewhere.

Re: the NCAA bracket, I am kind of liking Lunardi's updated bracket this morning. He's leaving out teams like - NCState, Texas, Alabama, Indiana and Clemson. His last team in is TCU. Not sure if there's another bid stealer conference championship out there or not. Either way, I'd love to see TCU replaced with a Belmont, UNC-Greensboro or Lipscomb. I could get on board with just about all of Joey Brackets' picks then.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
That says we're a 5 seed. We're also ahead of Wichita State and San Francisco. If St Louis loses today they could get in. Let's hope they win. It sucks that there are nine automatic bids.
Actually 11 - 2 more autobids were above us. Liscomb and Belmont. I guess you could say that they would get at large though (so not really bid stealers).
Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by UD90 View Post
Actually 11 - 2 more autobids were above us. Liscomb and Belmont. I guess you could say that they would get at large though (so not really bid stealers).

Right. I should have said 9 bid stealers. The last 9 teams in the field are auto bids.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
IU will be a 1 or 2 seed so there's no chance we see them. Same with _avier.

I'll be my portion of udscott's pizza on it, too!
So in other words you’re putting no money on it. It’s OK, sometimes it’s hard to make bets when those that lose never pay...
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Yeah, last night's update had us a couple spots worse, this morning's update had us a couple spots better.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Brigadier General

Sorry to divert from the NIT posts, as I am interested in what/where the Flyers land. I'm confident (90%) we'll be playing in the NIT somewhere.

Re: the NCAA bracket, I am kind of liking Lunardi's updated bracket this morning. He's leaving out teams like - NCState, Texas, Alabama, Indiana and Clemson. His last team in is TCU. Not sure if there's another bid stealer conference championship out there or not. Either way, I'd love to see TCU replaced with a Belmont, UNC-Greensboro or Lipscomb. I could get on board with just about all of Joey Brackets' picks then.
Thank you NCAA Selection Committee for taking my advice.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Lieutenant General

At first blush, it looks like the committee did a pretty good job.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD90 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Brigadier General

UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree - lots of emphasis on quad 1 wins. St Johns Net 72 last team in. I'm assuming they had several quad one wins.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:32 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
amazing to me that Oklahoma got a 9 seed despite being 7-11 in conference
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Agree - lots of emphasis on quad 1 wins. St Johns Net 72 last team in. I'm assuming they had several quad one wins.
Nova, VCU on a neutral court and Marquette twice
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD90 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 PM

Surprised UC got only a 7 and somewhat surprised OSU avoided the First Four.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
NIT bracket reveal at 8:30 on ESPN you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Nova, VCU on a neutral court and Marquette twice
I said at the beginning of the year we need two wins in Atlantis and 1 of the 2 SEC games. Win two of any of these games and we are in. It's about quad 1 wins not inidvidual NET ranking. Dayton 69 / St Johns 73.

Virginia
Oklahoma
VCU(2)
Miss State
Auburn
0-6 against that group.
Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:54 PM
General

I said at the beginning of the year we need two wins in Atlantis and 1 of the 2 SEC games. Win two of any of these games and we are in. It's about quad 1 wins not inidvidual NET ranking. Dayton 69 / St Johns 73.

Virginia
Oklahoma
VCU(2)
Miss State
Auburn
0-6 against that group.
Yeah, completely agree. Those high quality wins are what does it

Oklahoma went 7-11 in conference and still got a 9 seed.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Virginia
Oklahoma
VCU(2)
Miss State
Auburn
0-6 against that group.
Good call, and good point. It’s not enough to simply play good teams; you need to beat them. We didn’t; St. John’s did. Not commenting on whether or not St. John’s deserved an invite. This season, we did not.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (03-18-2019), NJFlyr71 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 PM
General

Gotta deliver in those exempt tourneys. Almost have to go 2-1 or better in those
Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 PM
Brigadier General

Perhaps, but since basically none of the four teams playing in the First Four are strong NCAA TOURNAMENT Bids, then, I would much rather see UD make it, and not deserve it, as opposed to any other school. I have no concern as to if my team deserves it or not, as that's not the issue.
I doubt that Ohio State really deserves it, but being in is all that matters.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 PM

Surprised UC got only a 7 and somewhat surprised OSU avoided the First Four.
UC's ooc sos is not that great. It is the same problem year after year.

See? I am not just picking on UD, lol.

UC still thinks that they are in the old Big East/Conference USA and don't have to go out on the road and play people/play more tough road/neutral ooc games. They need to wake up and get with reality already.

Last edited by ud2; 03-17-2019 at 10:48 PM..
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
UC's ooc sos is not that great. It is the same problem year after year.

See? I am not just picking on UD, lol.

UC still thinks that they are in the old Big East/Conference USA and don't have to go out on the road and play people/play more tough road/neutral ooc games. They need to wake up and get with reality already.
How many good/great teams would you like them to go play on the road? They played at UNLV and at Miss St this past year.You only have so many OOC games and only so many are on the road.

How many other perennial top 20 teams go out on the road and play tough OOC games especially when they have an athletic dept. to pay for? Not to mention they played X, OSU, Ole Miss, GM. and UCLA which was a home and away scheduled four years ago.

UC got hosed. Should have been a 6 at the very worst......They play in a darn good conference and if the usual top programs in WSU and SMU get back to normal, which they will along with Memphis, then it becomes an excellent conference.

Last edited by steve; 03-18-2019 at 08:39 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-18-2019), rollo (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Brigadier General

This is the first year that I can remember not having a bunch of complaints about who was left out. The only swap I would make is UNCG for Ohio State. Leaving out NC State sent a message. You play the worst non-con in the nation you are going to pay for it.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant General

Agree hawk, the committee did a pretty good job. there may(will) be complaints about seeding but they pretty much nailed the at large teams. No NCSU, Indiana, OSU was iffy and UNCG probably was the only questionable ommision.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
This is the first year that I can remember not having a bunch of complaints about who was left out. The only swap I would make is UNCG for Ohio State. Leaving out NC State sent a message. You play the worst non-con in the nation you are going to pay for it.
Totally agree. With NCState's non-con schedule, they needed to perform above average in a tough ACC. They didn't. They went 3-9 in Q1 games.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by steve View Post
How many good/great teams would you like them to go play on the road? They played at UNLV and at Miss St this past year.You only have so many OOC games and only so many are on the road.

How many other perennial top 20 teams go out on the road and play tough OOC games especially when they have an athletic dept. to pay for? Not to mention they played X, OSU, Ole Miss, GM. and UCLA which was a home and away scheduled four years ago.

UC got hosed. Should have been a 6 at the very worst......They play in a darn good conference and if the usual top programs in WSU and SMU get back to normal, which they will along with Memphis, then it becomes an excellent conference.
Every year they play a weaker ooc schedule and then whine about their seed. Man up and play more people. Their league is not great. Our league is even worse. If they want better than a 7 seed, they are going to have to upgrade their ooc schedule, and of course, that means going to a 15/15 or better. Things are changing, you have to be willing to leave home more, otherwise, don't complain.

Last edited by ud2; 03-18-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
SMU? Aside from when they cheat, when has SMU been any good in the last 50 years? (answer: never)
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Every year they play a weaker ooc schedule and then whine about their seed. Man up and play more people. Their league is not great. Our league is even worse. If they want better than a 7 seed, they are going to have to upgrade their ooc schedule, and of course, that means going to a 15/15 or better. Things are changing, you have to be willing to leave home more.
Again, you're talking out of the left side of your ass which happens to be the right side of your face with that rationale. That's strictly your incorrect opinion. I listed 6-7 OOC teams they played and the reason why they play more home games and you can't even counter that.

Their league is a **** good league. Watch Memphis next year.SMU (lost star players) and Wichita (lost star players) and both were top 10 teams a year ago. Watch them come back to life next year. And their middle-of-the-pack team, Tulsa, whipped up on UD. Houston, UC, UCF all hit top 20-25 this year with Houston a top 5. And Temple, who use to own the A10, is in the tourney again.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Again, you're talking out of the left side of your ass which happens to be the right side of your face with that rationale. That's strictly your incorrect opinion. I listed 6-7 OOC teams they played and the reason why they play more home games and you can't even counter that.

Their league is a **** good league. Watch Memphis next year.SMU (lost star players) and Wichita (lost star players) and both were top 10 teams a year ago. Watch them come back to life next year. And their middle-of-the-pack team, Tulsa, whipped up on UD. Houston, UC, UCF all hit top 20-25 this year with Houston a top 5. And Temple, who use to own the A10, is in the tourney again.
They played 18 home games and only 13 road/neutral and are whining about their seed. Boohoo, cry me a river. They chose to sit home and take the easy way out.

They only played 2 Kenpom tier A ooc games, that is not good enough, we played 4.

Their 44 sos is good though.

They pull the same garbage UD does every year, refusing to leave home more often and then whining about their seed.

I will concede that the AAC was better than I thought this year.

Last edited by ud2; 03-18-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Brigadier General

They pull the same garbage UD does every year, refusing to leave home more often and then whining about their seed.
Umm, the last time UD was in the tourney, we got a 7-seed. And I didn't hear too many folks complaining about that - other than having to play an under-seeded Wichita St. team.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-18-2019), UD62 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Umm, the last time UD was in the tourney, we got a 7-seed. And I didn't hear too many folks complaining about that - other than having to play an under-seeded Wichita St. team.
Umm, IINM, I am pretty sure that people on here were shocked in 2015 when we got put in the First 4...I will have to go back and read the reactions to the 11, 11, 7, and 7 seeds under Archie.

IINM, there was also griping about having to play Wichita State in 2016, can not remember if the griping was about the 7 seed or WSU supposedly being incorrectly seeded.

Last edited by ud2; 03-18-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Old 03-18-2019, 06:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Umm, IINM, I am pretty sure that people on here were shocked in 2015 when we got put in the First 4...I will have to go back and read the reactions to the 11, 11, 7, and 7 seeds under Archie.

IINM, there was griping about having to play Wichita State, can not remember if the griping was about the 7 seed or WSU supposedly being incorrectly seeded.
IIRC, the griping had to do with WSU being a 10-Seed and, thus, our opponent. I think their RPI at the time was in the mid-to-low 20s (and maybe even better), which should have qualified them for a seed no worse than our own. Plus, the fact that The Committee pitted two strong non-P5 teams against each other, to help increase the probability of more P5 teams making it farther in The Dance also pi$$ed some people off (myself included).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Brigadier General

IINM, there was also griping about having to play Wichita State in 2016, can not remember if the griping was about the 7 seed or WSU supposedly being incorrectly seeded.
The griping wasn’t about the seed. Some/most were suggesting we should have been the 10-seed, not WSU. Most projections had us in the 8/9 seed line.

And that was 2017, not 2016.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Has there ever been a day in NCAA Tournament history with a higher percentage of blowouts than today? “Nova, Murray State, Minnesota, and Florida all look like they’re going to be 15+ point losses, and that’s half of today’s games. And Baylor lost to Gonzaga by only 12, but I think they were down by double-digits for most of the game, so it wasn’t really that close. 5/8 blowouts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Auburn/Kansas may be another blowout candidate if the first 12 minutes are any indication.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Captain

EliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud ofEliteEight has much to be proud of
Auburn is shooting lights out vs Kansas. Bryce Brown is lighting them up (just like he did us). They live and die by the three. Right now, they are thriving
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 AM
General of the Air Force

Yep. The first 2 games of the day were worth watching. The rest drove me to watch reruns of action movies like Speed and National Treasure. March Madness turned into March Badness. Hopefully, the Sunday contests are more competitive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 01:33 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
If all goes according to plan tomorrow, I will have won all 16 second round games. Just need an upset win by Buffalo. The rest can be top seed wins (have Oregon defeating UC Irvine). Of course, I have FSU winning the whole enchilada so not really a chance to win the whole thing but my bracket is currently sitting in the top 98% of all brackets in ESPN.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
If all goes according to plan tomorrow, I will have won all 16 second round games. Just need an upset win by Buffalo. The rest can be top seed wins (have Oregon defeating UC Irvine). Of course, I have FSU winning the whole enchilada so not really a chance to win the whole thing but my bracket is currently sitting in the top 98% of all brackets in ESPN.
Good luck. Awesome start.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Auburn/Kansas may be another blowout candidate if the first 12 minutes are any indication.
Add Tennessee/Iowa to that list. 49-28 Vols at the half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Add Tennessee/Iowa to that list. 49-28 Vols at the half.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tennessee now up by one. They have turned into a turnover machine.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Tennessee wins in OT. Iowa looked like UD in a couple of our comebacks from +20 down. Stay the course, continue your game and play tough D. TBF though, that call against Tennessee on the 3pt attempt was as horrible.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:34 PM

Watching many of the games, there's one thing that sticks out to me. Many of the guards on these teams, in addition to shooting the 3 and driving the lane, have the ability to pull up and shoot a 2. So they'll drive part way, then stop and shoot, maybe foul line, maybe a bit closer or further back. That seems to be something our guards rarely do. We either drove it all the way to the basket (or tried to pass it to a big), or took the 3. The ability to create this 2 point shot and be good at it is something I think is important and that we are missing.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-24-2019), OSU Flyer (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Watching many of the games, there's one thing that sticks out to me. Many of the guards on these teams, in addition to shooting the 3 and driving the lane, have the ability to pull up and shoot a 2. So they'll drive part way, then stop and shoot, maybe foul line, maybe a bit closer or further back. That seems to be something our guards rarely do. We either drove it all the way to the basket (or tried to pass it to a big), or took the 3. The ability to create this 2 point shot and be good at it is something I think is important and that we are missing.
I said this in another thread that we need a guard who can create his own shot, whether it be a step back shot, dribble drive pull up for a shot or up fake go by for a jump shot.

One other thing I notice as I watch is that all in all even though we are disappointed in no NCAA tourneys the last two years things are not that bad in Flyer land. I have heard this about P5 teams this tournament:
First NCAA win in 14 years
First NCAA win since 2010
First NCAA appearance since 2011
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
This is an absolutely superb comment! We really don't have anyone who can shoot the ball off the dribble at any position. This is what the high quality guards and shooting forwards are able to do. In fact, of our three guards who played, two of them are decent at shooting the three ball, and all three are mediocre in dribble penetration. But none of the three have the ability to shoot the ball off the dribble. I am so glad someone recognized this. Good job TXFlyer! Quite frankly, and to our three guards' credit, shooting off the dribble is a bit of a dying art...only the very good or great guards are able to do it. I think that is a byproduct of 30 years of the three-point shot. Why shoot off the dribble when you can try to "square up for a three?"
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM
General

Good observation TX and others. Jordan Davis hit some pull up jump shots his freshman year but that seems like it disappeared this year.

The other thing is other than maybe Crutcher, none of the guards/wings can make that tough, contested shot when the defense is draped all over you. In these late game situations you're not getting easy looks

as an aside Aubrey Dawkins was a close miss for Archie but he looked dynamite today for UCF
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Good observation TX and others. Jordan Davis hit some pull up jump shots his freshman year but that seems like it disappeared this year.

The other thing is other than maybe Crutcher, none of the guards/wings can make that tough, contested shot when the defense is draped all over you. In these late game situations you're not getting easy looks

as an aside Aubrey Dawkins was a close miss for Archie but he looked dynamite today for UCF

Vee Sanford had a real nice shot from the elbow.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Things I noticed was that when the guards took the 3 most times ( or at least it seemed) it went in, then rebounding was a team sport event, and lastly most everyone could make a FT.

Kept saying to myself .... " that's why their there and we're here".

Last edited by NJFlyr71; 03-25-2019 at 06:57 AM..
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-25-2019)