Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Just off the Jet

1 Flyer Fan
Winning At X

how many people really on here think we can beat X in cincy this year?

I know UD is going to have a better season this year than last year. I just dont see UD winning at X. Why? Because it dont matter what team UD puts on the floor at X they can't get the job done. I believe that UD will win 30plus games this season and make atleast the sweet 16 in the NCAA.
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Are you looking for a head count????
Count me as 1 (actually 2, my husband is also on board)

Have a little faith, my friend.
We shall kick butt this year - the "cream of the A12" and then some!

(just sayin')
Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
A12???
Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
It seems to be that last taboo item still standing. I think there is a very good possibility that it happens this year.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless of the year I never pick against the Flyers against X. So on any given year my answer is the same. An emphatic yes.

This year I don't think it's just red and blue shades that have me in the yes column. Next year is the most experienced Flyer squad in a long time. They've played a lot of basketball together ... and quite a few of those games were max pressure type games. It's as good a year as any to bring that streak to an end.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Just off the Jet

1 Flyer Fan
i always pick our flyers over x all the time. we got a big chance to win at x im just tired of our boys just coming up short. they need to break the jinx. its just everytime ud goes down to x we either have people hurt or sick and we can never put our best out on the court.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
1st Lieutenant

bp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to behold
Matt Kavanaugh doesn't lose to X.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If we stick to the script, this may be the first year we are favored to win at Cintas. That said I think this thread is bad karma.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
oops.
A10 is actually "A14", not "A12". Can't count.

Still think we will beat them ALL this year. X included.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
I hate to say it, but if UD is going to knock that monkey off their backs, they’re going to have to go to Xavier with a superior team and give a superior effort. Xavier fans and players won’t admit it but they’re as pumped up for the UD game as any game on their home schedule. They play with tremendous energy and confidence when they play UD at home. You can bank on the fact that UD isn’t going to catch X on an "off night." In addition, UD isn't going to catch any breaks either. In other words, we aren't going to get lucky at Xavier. We're going to have to go down there and just take it from them.

In the past 15 years or so there are two games at Xavier that really stand out for me. In both cases UD had a legit chance of breaking the streak. The first game that comes to mind would have been played in the late 90's. I remember UD was winning in the closing minutes when Darnell Williams made uncontested baseline layup to take the lead. Edwin Young then made a drive to the hoop and was absolutely hacked on a stick back attempt. (no call of course) In all realty the streak should have ended that night, but UD came up just one play short. The other game that comes to mind was the David West foul shot debacle. If you remember, UD jumped out to an early 12 point lead when the officials decided to make their presents know. That was one of the biggest injustices in the history of UD athletics. It ranks up there with the NCAA game in Chicago between UD vs. Illinois during the Blackburn years. UD still holds the record for the most fouls called in an NCAA tournament game. The entire starting five fouled out that night and Blackburn refused to play in the NCAA tournament ever again. (Huh, UD vs. Illinois in Chicago? There is no way anything crooked was going on that night, right? ) I digress. Anyway, UD vs. David West in my mind was almost as bad. Heck, Nate Funk thought the officiating was ridiculous, but that's what you get when you get a couple of yokels from Forest Park and West Chester officiating the game. Next time we play at Xavier we just need to get a couple of guys from Dayton's east end to officiate and we'll be in business. PEACE!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
The thing that struck me about the pre-game chatter and refusal to shake hands at half-court at Xavier last year was that you don't plan that for a team that you don't have some serious concerns with. I thought the whole thing was just strange. It felt like something was pushing Xavier's team to do something very out of character. Both teams usually pride themselves on good sportsmanship, but that seemed to be slipping a bit at X.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Talking about games at x=theunknown spurred an old memory out of my remaining braincells -

Must have been 65/66 with Hank Finkel at center - I was there with my dad - UD won the game, but the memory is when old 7-foot Hank tried to dunk the ball against their 6'10" center (What was his name? He was actually stronger and more athletic than Hank but didn't have Hank's deadly hook shot) - and their center actually blocked the dunk but was called for goaltending because his hand was over the rim. The shot never went in but UD was awarded the 2 points and I think Hank even got a freethrow out of it, which he made, of course.

The x crowd went nutz, but the Flyers eventually won and me & my dad were happy campers.

Take it to the bank this coming year, the Flyers will win at x.

(Just burn the black unis and stuff the proud red jerseys down their throats!)