UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Which scheduling philosophy would you prefer?
Bring it Temple style, half our games against top 25 competition, all on the road 3 3.95%
Sacrifice 3 home games for 3 MORE road games against top 40 competition, raise ticket prices 8 10.53%
We're basically there, we just need 1 more top 25 team in the preconference schedule 63 82.89%
Creampuffs, gaudy preconference record, 1 big name, let the conference chips fall where they may 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Scheduling philosophy

OK folks, put aside your emotion from the current schedule release for a second. Here's the deal: what would you prefer of the following scenarios?
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
OK folks, put aside your emotion from the current schedule release for a second. Here's the deal: what would you prefer of the following scenarios?
Great Poll!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I think we'd be good if we had one more top 40 sort of game against a name team, even if it's a buy game on the road...

AND...

if the no-name teams on our schedule from lesser conferences were at least projected to finish top 4 in their conference. We don't have much of either of that going on here.

As you said gazoo, we have one more home game in the noncon than we did last year. We could have passed on that and travelled to play a meaningful game somewhere.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
dont they usually raise ticket prices every year, at least the PSL's for the good season tickets
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I shouldn't have voted since I don't have the opportunity to buy season passes so the ticket price is inconsequential to me.

But to add to the improbability of door #2, let's say we add the three road games and when we are good enough to attract those teams to the Arena, TK rolls back prices to the 2008 level? (As long as we are dreaming)

Both the above have an equal chance of happening me thinks.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A bit unusual...

Last season we had 7 series opponents (not counting Miami) and three of them were in the first year of the series. This year we have only 4 series opponents and only one, Creighton, is a start-up.

The series NC opponents are the better teams on the OOC schedule; and are necessary. So, with only one carry over for next year TK will have to come up with at least three series start ups, perhaps more. If his "revised" scheduling philosophy is credible, the start ups will have to come from conferences like the MVC, WAC, etc., that add beef to the schedule with the opportunity for road wins, which are so important from an RPI standpoint.

TK's stated goal, like ours, is to get the Flyers into the post season, with focus on the Dance. We have no choice but to rely on his judgment.

The thing that's a bit puzzling to me is that there are other top programs like Dayton that are in exactly the same boat, i.e., in need of solid series opponents for the same reasons. It seems that it should be relatively easy to connect with schools that are just as anxious to play a series with Dayton as we are with them. Apparently Creighton fits that bill, since after just one year off they are back on our schedule,....(possibly for a four year series?)

Bradley seems like a natural fit, as well as a few other MVC schools.

We got Pitt to come to Dayton;....there are 16 teams in the Big East, some are Catholic schools very similar to UD. Are we to believe that not one of the other 15 will agree to a series with Dayton,...not a single one? Gonzaga will not agree to a series with Dayton?

Even the Ohio State folks would freely admit that the game with Dayton was not "just another game" with an ordinary non-BCS opponent;...it was special. Ohio State is an opponent I would agree to play a two-games-for-one series with because of the intense interest.

And now Anthony Grant is at ND, an insider,.....ND is another opponent I would go the 2-for-1 route with.

The post season counts, money from home games counts, something else counts,....the Flyer Faithful that fill the seats at the Arena. The ~ 9-10 game NC home schedule should have at least a few games that provide real interest and entertainment for fans. I suppose that's where the importance of choosing good series opponents comes in. Unless/until the A10 schedule provides the thrills of a typical Big East home schedule, it is especially important for Dayton to schedule at least three NC home games that the fans can get excited about,....in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
More on scheduling....

..got my "Anthonys" mixed up....Solomon is at ND, not Grant. But, speaking of Grant reminds me of VCU, another more-than-decent opponent for a series.

And, would series with PFL schools be so bad? Take a look at the RPIs of Butler and Davidson!....and Valpo and San Diego were not half bad. Isn't SD the team that knocked off UConn in NCAA round 1. These schools would not agree to series with Dayton! I don't believe it.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
So far the returns say TK didn't screw up that badly, he just "missed it by that much". Should have added that 1 extra road game. And I agree with that.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

Spuds will become famous soon enoughSpuds will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

Gotta bring it Temple style. If we are wanting to play in the post-season, we must play teams of post-season quality. Coppin State, Mercer, Bethun-Cookman, are not quality post-season opponents. Playing Top 25 oponents on the road would give us National TV coverage, than stupid CSTV and better prepare this team for conference play and the post-season.

Last edited by Spuds; 07-10-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Gotta bring it Temple style. If we are wanting to play in the post-season, we must play teams of post-season quality. Coppin State, Mercer, Bethun-Cookman, are not quality post-season opponents. Playing Top 25 oponents on the road would give us National TV coverage, than stupid CSTV and better prepare this team for conference play and the post-season.
No way, not temple style. That doing any good for them? no. We need to replace those coppin state and mercer teams with more games like george mason, depaul, ect. Quality teams with an rpi under 100. And why dont we schedule games with wright st. and Ohio st?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Brigadier General

Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Exclamation aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghghgh!

Oh god. Did he really just type that last sentence??
Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Lieutenant

Spuds will become famous soon enoughSpuds will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
Oh god. Did he really just type that last sentence??
I THINK HE JUST DID!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Colonel

what am i missin?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Let's pretend it didn't happen.

But seriously, no, the Big East does not want a home and home with Dayton. Gonzaga isn't playing home and home with Dayton - they can play bigger name opponents on a neutral court, and although the quality of their conference has gotten better, even if they stink out of conference, they have an excellent shot at their auto bid. Better than UD's shot in any given year.

San Diego doesn't want to travel all the way across the country to play at UD, and I'm guessing UD feels the same way. That's an expensive trip.

Ohio State has NO interest in playing other Ohio schools, ever.

That said, I think the CAA, MVC, Mountain West, MAC, and *possibly* SOME Horizon League teams make some sense for home and homes since the big boys are not that interested. I'm not upset with the Akron and Toledo games; that gives us a decent chance for a couple of solid road victories.

I think the schedule sets up very very well for us. We have a lot of relatively inexperienced players; it makes sense to start a little slow, then expect that we'd improve as the season goes on.

I know that hasn't been the norm, but last year, the team certainly got better from the first few games to the last few before Chris Wright was hurt. Then Little was hurt, BRob was sick, and the freaking wheels more or less came off.

I'm optimistic. Wright has a half year under his belt and should be a stud. Searcy had surgery before the year started and ought to be better. If Kurt's weight loss helps him, he ought to be solid. Marcus really came on at the end of the year, and he has the competitive fire that has been lacking around these parts. Who knows about the freshmen, or London, or Lowery? I think Little *could* be fantastic, but he probably will just be good/very good again, and that ain't bad.

Is it October yet?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thirt - I am catching the fever already myself. I am seeing the same thing with this team, it is going to be a different squad this year and they look to have a lot of potential. I am most excited to see Lowery and Williams play.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Lieutenant

ChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to all
The funny thing is you people would rather schedule a home/home with Coppin State or Troy then Wright State, even though WSU is a higher (much higher) quality opponent then either of the above.

What gives? I think it is too much of the old guard. The exact same people who think we have the better program then Xavier and that TK is a savant at scheduling.

What's next, debating why SC Upstate is a great home/away series?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChrisSFlyer View Post
The funny thing is you people would rather schedule a home/home with Coppin State or Troy then Wright State, even though WSU is a higher (much higher) quality opponent then either of the above.
I hate to even respond to this, but we do NOT play Coppin State or Troy home-and-home. It amazes me that some people still do not understand the difference between a home-and-home and a buy game.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
1st Lieutenant

ChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to all
Before you wax poetic about what I don't or do know, you might want to ask a little first. I've been following this program for over 20 years now and know well the difference.

That being said, you must not know what sarcasm is. You just assume stupidity by saying we don't play CSU or Troy home/away, of course I know that. What I said was you people would RATHER schedule a home/home with one of those schools then WSU.

My point is, we could have used a good team like WSU on this home schedule. Who is honestly fired up about a GMU team who is a shadow of the Final 4 team and Miami?? Can you honestly be fired up for UNC-medium sized city college, Wofford, etc? We could have at least put a Valpo, Western Kentucky, or someone like that on the slate.

Who are we kidding, may as well join the MAC since we play 1/4 of that league home/away.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChrisSFlyer View Post
Before you wax poetic about what I don't or do know, you might want to ask a little first. I've been following this program for over 20 years now and know well the difference.

That being said, you must not know what sarcasm is. You just assume stupidity by saying we don't play CSU or Troy home/away, of course I know that. What I said was you people would RATHER schedule a home/home with one of those schools then WSU.

My point is, we could have used a good team like WSU on this home schedule. Who is honestly fired up about a GMU team who is a shadow of the Final 4 team and Miami?? Can you honestly be fired up for UNC-medium sized city college, Wofford, etc? We could have at least put a Valpo, Western Kentucky, or someone like that on the slate.

Who are we kidding, may as well join the MAC since we play 1/4 of that league home/away.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM
1st Lieutenant

Now that's funny.

But I don't wear wingtips......
Old 07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChrisSFlyer
I don't think that's true - I believe most here would take a home game with wsu over Troy; however, we would take a home game with a Troy before a home-home with wsu - but they won't play us withour a return
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Captain

UDFLYERS2K is on a distinguished road
I have been very happy with how TK and UD have handled the WSU issue for the last decade or so. The other team in town has not won enough to warrant a home/home series. However, we need to give them credit that they have improved their program over the last couple of season (as much as it pains me to admit it). I would even say that they are on the same level as most MAC programs. If UD can justify playing home/home series against Toledo and Akron then why not WSU? Personally I would much rather play more series against the MVC and the CAA.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The reference about Catholic Schools can be put into another catagory, many of these are Jesuit schools and they thinkith differently. Jesuits pretty much stick together and shun the others.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure follow the logic of not playing San Diego due to cost of travel, as it seems to me an incoming producing program like mens basketball could well afford the expense if the non income producing program like football can find a way to do it. And thats like 15 players vs 60 plus.

Also we usually played two schools on a trip out west, Pepperdine would usually be one then another west coast school. San Diego would be a natural considering our existing relationship.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Getting back to the scheduling philosopy and the possibility of bringing BCS/big name teams to the Arena - since 99-00 there have been only THREE such teams come to the Arena (other than Marquette, DePaul, and UC, who were required to come because of the Great Midwest breakup, but won't come anymore, and weren't BCS teams initially anyway). THREE - Villanova, Vanderbilt, and Pitt. So it is not like we used to get all these BCS teams coming to the Arena and have stopped. As soon as DePaul, Notre Dame, UC, and Marquette got in the Big East, they wouldn't come to the Arena anymore. On the other hand, I think we should have had one less buy game this year and replaced it with a road-only game with a big time team, or with a series starting at home with a good MVC type team. That would have balanced the schedule quite well.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the MAC teams were a bad call to sign and these are the back end of the home/home series with two of them (Miami will go indefinitely hopefully). We signed onto one new Home/Home series this year with Creighton (MVC). This is a good get for both programs. Next year, three of our Home/Home commitments are gone 2 MAC and 1 CAA. So we will see a mix up next year which will probably depend a lot on this years performance. Hopefully we will see another MVC signing then, but 4 home/home series and one tournament is pretty good. Akron and Toledo were both very exciting games last year, if we can win at their houses, that is a very good challenge for us and makes a statement. If we don't show up for those games, why travel to a top 25 school only to be shown we don't belong in the top 25. I don't think that helps our cause.

If we do well in Chicago, then our hunger for stiffer competition will be justified, let's hope they pull another Maui for us this year and make the dance, then things will get better for OOC scheduling.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
I don't like the choices. Giving up 3 home games is too radical. I think we should bag a total of two scrub games and schedule a much-better home game and go on the road in place for the other with a marquee team.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Brigadier General

I agree with dirty. I would love to see an option for 1 more road game at a bcs school AND replacing some of the home cupcakes with contenders from smaller conferences at the very least.

I think the akron home and home was ok. The toledo, not so much. Akron was a skilled mac team that was a real contender. Regarding toledo, we didnt' need a third home and home with the mac. I could see, maybe, if it were to give BR a game in his home town. But that didn't really happen. A home and home with the mountain west, cusa, or valley team would have been much better instead.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb is on a distinguished road
John the Bomb

I think the schedule we have could have had one more tough non-conference opponent more than just Marquette and Creighton. We need more tough competition so we can get back into the NCAAs. Last year's schedule I think was better playing at Louisville and hosting Pitt(2 Big East schools) because we were able to beat both of them. The more tough teams we play, the more success we can have beating them. That's why we had a real high RPI(29th) at year's end. At Holy Cross and Miami were good wins, too, since they were in the NCAAs the year before as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Colonel

Toledo wasn't that great of a series to sign since their RPI was in the high 100s, but playing them on the road this year should be a tough game and will give us a boast if we can win. They certainly came prepared to play last year at the Arena.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb is on a distinguished road
John the Bomb

I agree with you Nortwest Flyer that Toledo on the road could be a tough contest and that we probably shouldn't have scheduled them home and home. We're going to have to beat Marquette on neutral court and/or beat the Blue Jays at Creighton to have a respectable non-conference slate. We need to schedule more non-conference games on the road so we are prepared for the 8 road games in conference play. That is the only way(by beating at least 4 out of 8 of the conference road teams) that we will be able to get into the NCAAs.