User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 12:03 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Rhodie message board

There is some interesting reads on Rhode Islands Keaney Blue message forum. All agreed that they played with intensity from start to finish on both ends and played like their season was on the line!

One person stated, "As for the Flyers NCAA at large hopes...they are dead....in the same boat as us now!"
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting rumor from their board: at least 1 current A10 hc will be fired this year, and it is not the hc at Richmond, GW, or Fordham. George Mason? SLU? St. Joe's?
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Paulson is safe at Mason. I think Mooney is finished at Richmond. Martelli ought to be finished, but he’s a St. Joe’s institution. Canning him would be difficult, especially given the injury problems he’s had to deal with the past couple of seasons. I suspect McCall is in trouble at UMass, even though he’s only been there two years. Joseph at GW is certainly on the hot seat. Travis Ford has had troubles on and off the court, so he’s vulnerable. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of those guys axed.
Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
moville (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
You look at where things stand right now in the league and I like where we are situated with Grant. Rhoades at VCU should be rock solid every year. Schmidt is developing tenure. McKillop already has it. Dambrot made one of the youngest teams in the country a big PITA this year and the Dukes will be contenders the next 2-3 seasons.

But everyone else is either suspect or on the hots. Ford is sort of an enigma at SLU. Im not sure he was ever their primary or even secondary choice. Excellent recruiter but even at Okie State his teams never lived up to the hype. Martelli has had injuries Im not sure any coach could completely overcome this year. He can recruit and develop guys into the best players in the league. But guys 5 through 9 on his teams are always suspect. He's never really been super consistent. NCAA seasons usually follow .500 seasons or worse Rinse repeat.

As Fly said, McCall hasnt shown much at UMass. Mooney has to be out. Paulsen has done more at Mason in the last cpl seasons to make them competitive than Hewett ever did. I think they can come around some more. Neubauer, Howard, and Joseph are in dead-end jobs. Neubauer has to be gone after this year alongside Mooney. Cox at URI has one of the better jobs in the league, but Rammie fans havent been too impressed with him thus far. They can win or lose to anybody by 25.

Grant with the talent we have returning and guys we have coming in? I dont think there's a better program to bet on over the next cpl seasons. Nobody has to be the second-coming at their specific job. They just need to do their role.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (03-11-2019), moville (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
You look at where things stand right now in the league and I like where we are situated with Grant. Rhoades at VCU should be rock solid every year. Schmidt is developing tenure. McKillop already has it. Dambrot made one of the youngest teams in the country a big PITA this year and the Dukes will be contenders the next 2-3 seasons.

But everyone else is either suspect or on the hots. Ford is sort of an enigma at SLU. Im not sure he was ever their primary or even secondary choice. Excellent recruiter but even at Okie State his teams never lived up to the hype. Martelli has had injuries Im not sure any coach could completely overcome this year. He can recruit and develop guys into the best players in the league. But guys 5 through 9 on his teams are always suspect. He's never really been super consistent. NCAA seasons usually follow .500 seasons or worse Rinse repeat.

As Fly said, McCall hasnt shown much at UMass. Mooney has to be out. Paulsen has done more at Mason in the last cpl seasons to make them competitive than Hewett ever did. I think they can come around some more. Neubauer, Howard, and Joseph are in dead-end jobs. Neubauer has to be gone after this year alongside Mooney. Cox at URI has one of the better jobs in the league, but Rammie fans havent been too impressed with him thus far. They can win or lose to anybody by 25.

Grant with the talent we have returning and guys we have coming in? I dont think there's a better program to bet on over the next cpl seasons. Nobody has to be the second-coming at their specific job. They just need to do their role.
I can only speak to the SLU/Travis Ford situation. I'm pretty close to the program - which is to say I know a lot of the former players, announcers, big boosters, members of the board and attend a lot of the games. I personally have suggested/inquired why Ford isn't/wouldn't be on the hot seat if they exit Brooklyn early? Most look at me with a "Nah, he's been fine." Accepting mediocrity compared to the last few years of Jim Crews. I can't recall who SLU's got coming in next year as far as recruits, but with what they lose, it's hard to believe they can be much better in the next year or two. If they parted ways, it would surprise me, as I feel like I would have heard something in my circles.

But you never know. They canned a mediocre Brad Soderberg after just a few years, but that was with some big booster money and take no prisoners University President who went after Majerus and got him. I'm not sure that target exists out there right now. Only big fish out there I can think of is Pitino and no way this institution flirts with a Pitino.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Put Mark Schmidt at St. Louis with the resources they have in a major metro city and they could end up being scary good. That said, I only recall one time where a coach went from one A10 school to another. In that instance St. Bona lost The coach to Rhode Island. The guy whose son killed us: Jimmy Baron. Ouch.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Left his Alma Mater at that.
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Put Mark Schmidt at St. Louis with the resources they have in a major metro city and they could end up being scary good. That said, I only recall one time where a coach went from one A10 school to another. In that instance St. Bona lost The coach to Rhode Island. The guy whose son killed us: Jimmy Baron. Ouch.
Mark Schmidt might be the best coach in the A10. In a "pound for pound" scenario when you factor in resources, he's the very best IMO.

But I also think Coach Schmidt "fits well" at an underrated and somewhat obscure institution. Could he win the recruiting battles that might come with expectations of having more resources? Does he want to fight those battles?

In the end, he's getting pretty decent, consistent results right where he is. Last 4 years, they've finished 4th, 2nd, 5th, and t-1st in the A10 and if it weren't for an abysmal non-con this year, would have had 20+ wins each year.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Lived in the STL for six years. SLU is so far off the radar behind the Cards and the Blues, that no one really notices. Unless they make the wrong kind of headlines. A hundred people will ask what high school you attended before one will ask about SLU athletics.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-11-2019)