UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2013 Match Threads

2013 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Western KY Match

I hoping to watch this evening. Here are a couple WKU match results this year. Some are pretty impressive. This looks like a pretty tough team. Glad to see it so we can measure how UD is progressive. After two pretty good matches at NE last weekend, I'm hoping the team continues to improve and fight for points tonight.

WKU beat #21 Purdue in 5 sets.
Lost to #13 Ohio State in 5.
Lost to #24 Ohio in 3. (common opponent)
Beat Cincy in 3. (common opponent)
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I'm looking forward to the match tonight. Matt gave them a lot of respect and I don't think he was blowing smoke.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
We did not play well tonight, unfortunately. Not an expert, but WKU had too many easy shots and we seemed to be out of sync unable to get those kills.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Don't follow VB closely, but,....

....in the recent past we were a top-tier team that rarely lost. Was the performance of this year's team expected?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought blocking was sporatic, good at times but disappear at time also. Seemed to tire towards the end. Thought there were more back row sets than earlier in the year. And was disappointed in serving.

But I am no expert.

Secondary note : What a class group. I attended with group of Miamisburg 7th grade girls vb team. UD players signed autographs, then took a team pic with 'burg girls. Classy, classy group. Proud ti be a Flyer alum...
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 PM

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Was at the match. Just my thoughts.

- Blocking was terrific for the most part. At times it was our best offense. Blocking stats weren't even close. We killed them defensively at the net.

- Our serve receive and passing was, well, terrible for 3 of 4 games. We probably gift wrapped 15-20 points in this match with poor passing. Completely on our side of the net. Not crazy balls to handle -- we couldnt even handle the easy ones at times. On most offensive possessions in serve receive, one of the three touches was always substandard. When the receive was poor and sprayed over the court, the set couldnt make up for it and the kill was almost not even winnable. When the receive was good, the set was 3-4 feet too far from the net or not high enough or not where a player was anticipating. In very very very few cases did we receive well, set well, and then botch a kill. When we got the first two right, we terminated fairly well.

In game three we got down 5-0 and had to make a sub b/c they were picking on our serve received. I think 5 of the first 6 points in that game were basically Dayton gifting points away. We made a huge rally late after being down 18-9, but its hard to claw all the way back when the damage was done.

WKU's receive and passing was clearly at a different level of polish all match. Thats what won it for them -- being consistent and not giving away easy points on their own side of the net w/o requiring the other team to hit a good kill.

Jendryk's serve tonight really hurt. She has a wicked topspin jump serve. The problem is she had 3 kills and 6 errors. I dont think the teams played more than 1 or 2 of her serves all night. It was either an ace or an error. But, if you are an ace server, you cannot give that point away on the next serve with an error and thats what happened most times. Ace/Error. Thats a wash. Not good enough. even Ace/Ball in Play that was eventually lost would have been better.

If you have a heavy hitting jump serve, you've gotta get it in the court. It cant be all or nothing. She's young and will learn.

14 service errors is way too many overall as a team. But we had 24 block assists to 8. Thats dominating defense.

What Im getting at is we coulda won this match, but I always had the feeling the biggest opponent for Dayton was Dayton. We couldnt get out of our own way at times. We gave away as many soft points on our own side of the net as WKU earned with great offense. Too many serve receives were spraying back over the net, or pinging sideways and forcing us to scramble. When we had to set, the balls were way too far from the net -- making the angle of attack on the kill unnecessarily shallow.

I think we can improve in our receive and passing though. If we even improve it moderately, I think we have a defense that can keep us in most remaining matches.

From what I see tonight, most of the reason the other team is hitting better than us is because we're giving the opposition way too many "freebies" over the net where we couldnt do anything w/the ball and had to just get it over net, allowing the opponent an easy time to set up and pounce. We dont make the opposing teams defense scramble enough. Their first touches are too easy. I think our defense stops WKU tonight and we win in 4 sets if the match was played straight up and our offense was not giving away scramble dinks to the opposing offense. Even the best defense is going to have a hard time not surrendering points like that -- and we can play defense. But they cannot perform miracles. A good offense will make our defense even better.

Digs were 63-39 WKU. Most of that difference is Dayton having to send over a soft dink to stay in the point and get it over the net. Lots of soft digs there. They had some great digs too. Not saying they didnt. But way too many soft ones that inflated this stat.

My thoughts from someone whos never played the game.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I only saw the last two sets, but for the most part I think you're right on Chris.
We did not have a good serve receive match and they had a terrific hitter that could go cross court (the easiest shot) and score at will.

Regarding blocking and the poster above -- we blocked at 3.5/set. That's very, very good. But from what I saw in sets 3-4, I agree it could have been even better. One of the reasons their hitter was scoring at will going cross court was there was a hole in our block and she could go between the blockers putting a whole lot of pressure on the back row to be in exactly the place she was sending the ball. She was very good at "snapping her wrist" on her shots and they were coming in real fast and hard. And you back those plays up a little more and you see the really good pass and the setter having lots of hitter options and our blockers having to wait that extra second to see where the ball was going -- and you get some holes in your blocks. And was the pass good because our offense didn't do much with the ball from our side of the net? (for all the reasons noted above). All that said, our block is very, very good and only going to get better. We will need it to be as good as it can be.

I didn't see the first 2 sets -- but in sets 3/4 our passing was not as good as it was at NE. It's a work in progress and it will be all year long. And it seems as the pass goes, our confidence goes and our focus goes. But Flyer Volleyball has always been about working hard and getting after it to get better. As a fan you have to like how this team almost came back in Set 4 after being down a bunch with WKU sitting at 23-24 points. I think we were down 8-9 points at the end. Then this team rose up, focused and raised their play to make it a 3 point set (22-25). In a word, consistency. This team has work to do, but I think all the pieces are there. I'm still worried about the hitting production. We are not terminating enough balls for a whole lot of reasons, not just the hitters, especially from the left side. But I know this team will get after it. I know the seniors will lead, and they don't like the losses. We need to come out of this weekend 2-1 and then tear through the A-10 schedule. We have a really tough pre-conference schedule this year, but we haven't lost to any one that won't make the NCAAs. That will not be the case in the A-10 where probably only 1 team will advance, maybe 2.

Keep learning. Keep working. Keep encouraging each other to improve. Stay together. All the pieces are there and like Chris said, it's all on our side of the net. We control how far this team goes this year.

Note on Serving: 10 Aces and 14 Errors is not a "bad" ratio for the team. But it's tough as a fan to see errors, and they usually come at the worst times. What you don't see in serving numbers are all the other serves that were tough to handle or were easy to handle. As a fan I'd like to see passing scores added to the stats. That tells you more about how your serving is being handled by the opponent. I will say however, both Alaina and Jenna's errors are high for the year and they were again last night. As Chris said, they are young. They have work to do in this area. But as a coach you gotta keep telling your players to bring it on the serve. You have to be a tough serving team in the NCAAs. Everyone at that level has good hitters and good setters. It comes down to serve/serve receive/passing. To advance past the first weekend, you have to serve tough.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-21-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, I also think your analysis was good.

We do not have a 6'5" outside hitter that we can set on the outside when the passing isn't good. This team needs to pass well to win against good teams. I don't think anyone played well from the back row last night on serve receive.

I do agree with beckystxa that the number of service errors compared to aces isn't a bad ratio. In sets two and three in particular the team had a chance to win because their serving bothered Wky. If you are disrupting the other team's passing because you are serving really well with some bad serves thrown in it is worth it. I thought that Jenna looked tired the way she hit three straight very long at the end of the match but it could have been caused by being careful also. When you hit a topspin the harder you hit it the more it drops into the court assuming you are snapping your wrist. If you take some off then it is harder to keep it in the court. We had some great serves and some not so great ones.

Matt talked about how unusual WKY was in serving flat footed floaters. Almost every team in the country is predominately jump floaters and jump topspin. When you hit a floater of any type you swing your arm fast until it contacts the ball and then you stop your arm. This makes the ball float in the air. A great jump floater is hard to return because of the speed and angle of the ball but it is much harder to hit consistently. If you watch the ball when it is served if it is spinning at all (unless topspin serve) it isn't going to move much. WKY was really consisent in that it looked like almost every serve was tough.

The first weekend I didn't think that Alaina played well but she has improved from last year and that first weekend. You had some nice smart plays both from the front court and back court.

I can see why Angel Agu is starting. She is getting better and better each week.

They are making Megan earn her points but it is creating a lot of one on one matchups for other players that they need to win.

We have young players playing in the back row and they will improve. There is a lot going on when you are playing back row. As the ball goes to the setter you are determining who she is going to set. When the ball is in the air you have to adjust your positioning based upon where you think the ball will be hit. Norris wasn't a really quick player but she was very very good at positioning herself by reading the block and the hitter. Adrienne Green was quick but she could also read the hitter quickly. They will get better at this
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Was at the match. Just my thoughts.

- Blocking was terrific for the most part. At times it was our best offense. Blocking stats weren't even close. We killed them defensively at the net.

- Our serve receive and passing was, well, terrible for 3 of 4 games. We probably gift wrapped 15-20 points in this match with poor passing. Completely on our side of the net. Not crazy balls to handle -- we couldnt even handle the easy ones at times. On most offensive possessions in serve receive, one of the three touches was always substandard. When the receive was poor and sprayed over the court, the set couldnt make up for it and the kill was almost not even winnable. When the receive was good, the set was 3-4 feet too far from the net or not high enough or not where a player was anticipating. In very very very few cases did we receive well, set well, and then botch a kill. When we got the first two right, we terminated fairly well.

In game three we got down 5-0 and had to make a sub b/c they were picking on our serve received. I think 5 of the first 6 points in that game were basically Dayton gifting points away. We made a huge rally late after being down 18-9, but its hard to claw all the way back when the damage was done.

WKU's receive and passing was clearly at a different level of polish all match. Thats what won it for them -- being consistent and not giving away easy points on their own side of the net w/o requiring the other team to hit a good kill.

Jendryk's serve tonight really hurt. She has a wicked topspin jump serve. The problem is she had 3 kills and 6 errors. I dont think the teams played more than 1 or 2 of her serves all night. It was either an ace or an error. But, if you are an ace server, you cannot give that point away on the next serve with an error and thats what happened most times. Ace/Error. Thats a wash. Not good enough. even Ace/Ball in Play that was eventually lost would have been better.

If you have a heavy hitting jump serve, you've gotta get it in the court. It cant be all or nothing. She's young and will learn.

14 service errors is way too many overall as a team. But we had 24 block assists to 8. Thats dominating defense.

What Im getting at is we coulda won this match, but I always had the feeling the biggest opponent for Dayton was Dayton. We couldnt get out of our own way at times. We gave away as many soft points on our own side of the net as WKU earned with great offense. Too many serve receives were spraying back over the net, or pinging sideways and forcing us to scramble. When we had to set, the balls were way too far from the net -- making the angle of attack on the kill unnecessarily shallow.

I think we can improve in our receive and passing though. If we even improve it moderately, I think we have a defense that can keep us in most remaining matches.

From what I see tonight, most of the reason the other team is hitting better than us is because we're giving the opposition way too many "freebies" over the net where we couldnt do anything w/the ball and had to just get it over net, allowing the opponent an easy time to set up and pounce. We dont make the opposing teams defense scramble enough. Their first touches are too easy. I think our defense stops WKU tonight and we win in 4 sets if the match was played straight up and our offense was not giving away scramble dinks to the opposing offense. Even the best defense is going to have a hard time not surrendering points like that -- and we can play defense. But they cannot perform miracles. A good offense will make our defense even better.

Digs were 63-39 WKU. Most of that difference is Dayton having to send over a soft dink to stay in the point and get it over the net. Lots of soft digs there. They had some great digs too. Not saying they didnt. But way too many soft ones that inflated this stat.

My thoughts from someone whos never played the game.
Perfect description.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:25 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
A question for those in the know -

Jendryk jumps when she sets - somewhat unusual. Is that good or bad?

Seems like it is good because it allows for a quicker set. Seems like it is bad because after one leaves the floor one has less control over where the set must go.

It has to be more difficult.

Last edited by ud69; 09-21-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Chris was pretty much spot on and described it much more accurately than I didn two weeks ago. This team has the tools, and the grit to make terrific comebacks but you can't consistently dig deep holes and expect to come out of them. Right now they are their own worse enemy. I believe Alina and Jenna had most of the serve errors, that's all on them, no one else involved.

Right now VCU is sitting at 10-2 and chomping at the bit to take on UD in the first A-10 match next week. Dayton has two matches and one week to get ready for VCU.

VCU's two losses were to #21 Ky 3-2 and Whicita 3-0

Today VCU lost to Wisconson in 5 sets 14-25, 25-15, 26-28, 25-14, 9-15.

http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/laun...&startschool=&

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 09-21-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Asking again.....

Was this year expected to be a rebuilding year?......i.e., was the current ~ 0.500 record at this stage expected, more or less?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Was this year expected to be a rebuilding year?......i.e., was the current ~ 0.500 record at this stage expected, more or less?

Thanks.
No we were pre-season #22.....but then we lost our coach and the staff that built this team. During the summer a setter transferred out, and our 2nd setter left the team for personal reasons, not related to UD or the team. We also lost a star recruit whom asked out of her LOI and followed Sheff to Wisconsin.

Losing 3 seniors who were the core of the team, Kray, Sam and Paige left some pretty big holes to fill.

So it became a building year in that their are new players and new coaching staff. Matt's staying on helped but is not the whole answer. Couple all that with the most challenging pre season schedule and we have what we have.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (09-21-2013), UACFlyer (09-21-2013), UDVBFan (09-23-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
WKU and Dayton Flyer Offense

Per Daytonflyers.com we were outhit .233 to .162. Earlier posts say this was a result of the service receiving or setting which resulted in easy over the net shots (KA) which often resulted in WKU kills.

Those of you who actually see the game action rather than me who has to rely on statistics, and others comments, may be able to answer this question -
roughly what percentage of this problem is due to our first receiving hit, versus our second setting hit versus our third returning or kill attempt hit?

Jenna, according to stats, through 9 games (last game St. Mary's) had 275 sets (set attempts?). It looked like no one else had even 15. Now most NCAA division I teams had one primary setter, but even they normally get more relief than this. Adding in her digs and serves, and I would project that she has more minutes of court playing time than anyone else on the team. The earlier posts about roster losses at setter highlight this issue.

Maybe this team does not have enough talent, and/or experience.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
A question for those in the know -

Jendryk jumps when she sets - somewhat unusual. Is that good or bad?

Seems like it is good because it allows for a quicker set. Seems like it is bad because after one leaves the floor one has less control over where the set must go.

It has to be more difficult.
If Jendryk is close to the net and she jump sets it forces the middle blocker to stay with her in case she hits the ball, when she is a legal hitter.

If the ball is passed close to the net when she is in the back row it is sometimes easier to control the ball if you contact it above the net before it gets any closer to the net.

I haven't noticed her jump setting when the ball is off the net but let me know if that is the case.

I used to play with someone who could crush a '1' ball when I jump set it to him, it was a thing of beauty to execute and see. This might be a possibility in the future

UDSPUD

This is a much less experienced team than in previous years. Alaina Turner has become the primary outside hitter this year when she was the second outside hitter last year. She is also being targeted on serve receive this year.

Last year we had a tremendous libero (Janna) and a four year starter libero/DS (paige) and a five year senior (Kray) returning just about every serve. It is going to take a while to reach that level.

On offense Alaina is very talented but on those balls that are not passed correctly she is in trouble. If the setter sets it to her side the ball is coming from behind her and the two blockers can easily read where the ball is going to. At 5'10" Alaina is at a big disadvantage in that scenario

Matt mentioned in the chalk talk that megan is getting a lot of special attention. But, when teams focus on her the other players will get one on one blocking and they have to beat that

Last edited by UDBrian; 09-21-2013 at 05:55 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-22-2013), Glen Clark (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Spud -- FYI: Dayton runs a one-setter offense. So Jenna does play all 6 rotations and does not come out of the match. Most programs do this with their setter. She would play 3 rotations in the front row and 3 in the back row, so you see her getting some digs -- but UD also "hides" her on serve receive because they don't want her taking the first touch -- but rather running up to the net so she can take the 2nd touch.

Alaina Turner -- one of our left OHs -- also plays 6 rotations -- and thus you see her stats have digs. Because of substitution rules (you can only sub in so many times per set) you have to have one of the OHs play all 6 rotations and Alaina is the best passer of the OHs, so that falls on her. 5-6 years ago teams had more subs. Then they changed the rules and took away a bunch of subs (I think it went down to 13/set.) We had 5'-nothing Rachel Broerman playig back then and in a couple long sets that year, she ended up having to play in the front row at the end of 1-2 sets that year because we ran out of subs. When teams only had 13, you usually had to have two of your OHs play all 6 rotations. Those were the years both Kray and Amanda played all the way around. I think 2 years ago they added back a couple subs - I think the number is 15 now, but not 100% sure on that and too lazy to look it up right now.

The other player who is on the court for 5.5 rotations is the Libero Janna Krafka. She can only serve once -- so she does come out while Megan Campbell serves, but comes right back in after Megan is done serving.

Everyone else basically plays 3 rotations -- either 3 across the front or 3 across the back. There are some exceptions to that -- ie if a player is having a tough time in serve receive at any given time, Matt can sub someone in. We've also seen him sub in Angle across the front the first 2-3 weeks of the year, but now she is in the starting rotation.

Hope that helps put some perspective on some of the stats.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (09-21-2013), UDVBFan (09-23-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Spud -- FYI: Dayton runs a one-setter offense. So Jenna does play all 6 rotations and does not come out of the match. Most programs do this with their setter.
And from a statistics point of view, since the 2007 season, except for the 08 and 09 seasons when we had Kacie Hausfeld and Erin Schroeder(08), and Hannah Clancy (09), we have had one player get 82-85% of the assists. So, it isn't a new occurrence with the Flyer team.

Code:

year | team_asts |    year_ldr     | plyr_asts | pct_asts 
------+-----------+-----------------+-----------+----------
 2007 |      1777 | Erin Schroeder  |      1465 |   82.44
 2008 |      1608 | Kacie Hausfeld  |       868 |   53.98
 2009 |      1627 | Kacie Hausfeld  |       803 |   49.35
 2010 |      1423 | Jessica Yanz    |      1206 |   84.75
 2011 |      1419 | Samantha Selsky |      1184 |   83.44
 2012 |      1504 | Samantha Selsky |      1273 |   84.64
 2013 |       415 | Jenna Jendryk   |       355 |   85.54
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-22-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Jenna & setter usage

Thanks to UD Brian & BeckyTXA regarding Jenna being the dominant setter.

Since UC Santa Barbara is the only other team I follow closely, I thought Jenna was possibly overworked. This, per Becky, is not the case. At UCSB, so far this year, Neilson, their primary setter, has about 60%( 316 of 522) of the assists (A) and Santi has a bit over 30% (144 of 522). The answer why is in the people. Neilson, a sophmore, was an all Big West Freshman first team and Santi, a Junior, appears to have been a highly recruited starting setter at Georgia Tech as a freshman. So while the Dayton roster is strong at MB, UCSB has two high quality and experieced setters feeding some pretty good front line personal.

Jenna (Dayton) and Neilson (UCSB) have similar digs per set numbers with both playing a significant number of top 25 teams.

In my opinion, Neilson of UCSB has, this year, more "kill" talent, all of whom are 6" 1" or bigger, to feed.