User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Relax AF, all he said was the high price seats sell out, which is true, and that it would be worth to him to have tickets at twice the price. As far as I can tell he made no reference to lifestyle, resources, or life priorities.
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Relax AF, all he said was the high price seats sell out, which is true, and that it would be worth to him to have tickets at twice the price. As far as I can tell he made no reference to lifestyle, resources, or life priorities.
It's inferred, read between the lines
Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
"Inferred" is a really interesting word. It relies on the reader interpreting what isn't stated. By definition 1. 'to conclude by reasoning from premises or evidence" 2. "to guess or surmise" Very subjective process. Case in point you interpreted his post one way and saw inferred meaning. I really didn't see that at all. doesn't mean you are wrong in your analysis, also doesn't mean your right. Like I said, very subjective.

Last edited by UD62; 03-22-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
"Inferred" is a really interesting word. It relies on the reader interpreting what isn't stated. By definition 1. 'to conclude by reasoning from premises or evidence" 2. "to guess or surmise" Very subjective process. Case in point you interpreted his post one way and saw inferred meaning. I really didn't see that at all. doesn't mean you are wrong in your analysis, also doesn't mean your right. Like I said, very subjective.
I know definitions and don't need you to give a lecture. He stated in several post that he would/could pay and that if people watched on Tv they were missing the game experience. That is a huge jump in assumption that if you don't attend the game like him then you miss the game experience. I know people who attend a few games a year, ones of interest to them but don't but buy nor intend to buy season tickets. One does not have to attend every game to get the experience. apparently you are one of those who don't have other more important issues in life and can go to all the games, that is great but I nor any other flyer fan is not less of a fan because they don't buy season tickets.

Speaking of inferred you are interpreting your own version of what I said and meant. Didn't realize I would have to pass your test, get over yourself. You don't know me and what I meant. It was a quick replay, in the future I will run everything past you first to see it that is what I really meant to say.

I suppose you will attack the poster who said they would not sell their kidney for season tickets as well.

Just like I didn't mean flyerhoops nor udpride+ but someone interpreted it they way they wanted. Never mentioned either website and as a member of both don't know any elitist on either one. Just leave priders posts alone and stop trying to analyzing everything, just as you did for the poster you defended he knew what he said and can speak for himself.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Come on Earl you're now sounding a little smug, glad you are in a position to pay double but you don't have to rub it in others faces who can't.

Perhaps you need to join another flyer board with elitist members
You should relax. I was respectful. You've crossed the line. If you read through, I stated my seat license if $450 per seat. I am 53 years old. At this point in life I can afford another $450 times 2. No big deal. Look, we are all Flyer fans. There is no need get personal.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of

While I grew up on the poor side of life I lived around old money families and believe me they never gloat about their wealth, in fact if you didn't know them you'd have no idea of their wealth. New money as they call it is where the braggadocio come from.
I stated that I would pay an extra $900 for 2 seats and you state this? Read what you typed. How do you go from $900 for a 53 year man to that?

And as an aside, maybe you never heard it from the old money people because they inherited and never had to work for it. Perhaps many new money people grew up like you and I.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UD_Earl View Post
I stated that I would pay an extra $900 for 2 seats and you state this? Read what you typed. How do you go from $900 for a 53 year man to that?

And as an aside, maybe you never heard it from the old money people because they inherited and never had to work for it. Perhaps many new money people grew up like you and I.
Nope you posted over and over your willingness to pay extra and rubbed in faces of those who didn't they wouldn't put the money out for the UD experience.

For the record I attend every home and away game I can when in the Dayton area and when games are in my project areas. UD mens home games are harder to get into at least for a decent seat and not in 2nd row from top (too many steps). But more often than not away games have extra seats available.

As for old money, didn't think you'd understand (Have to live and work around them) they don't have to impress anyone, new money people feel they do.

And actually I can relate to that. When I was going through a rough period financially I seemed to feel a need to have the latest equipment so when my friends would come over they were impressed. When got back to my financial level I passed over those thing that I thought I needed before. And now at my age none of that really matters.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Lieutenant General

You are off the rails again AF, seen it before and will probably see it again. I'm done. Have a good one.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
This is a ridiculous argument. $900 isn't indicative of old or new money. It may be readily available for some and not for others, but it's not a wealth indicator. Please retire the commentary on this item. There are so many more interesting things to be discussing right now than whether PSL costs are indicative of wealth.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-23-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-23-2017), longtimefan (03-22-2017), SacramentoFlyer (03-23-2017), shocka43 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
All I know is that all this talk about money is making me jealous. I retired at 56 (to early) and I am now 70 so I would appreciate any donations to support my lifestyle. Give early and often!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-23-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:18 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
This is a ridiculous argument. $900 isn't indicative of old or new money. It may be readily available for some and not for others, but it's not a wealth indicator. Please retire the commentary on this item. There are so many more interesting things to be discussing right now than whether PSL costs are indicative of wealth.
But here you are keeping going. Don't like a post or thread then ignore it. Quite simple really. BTW the old vs new money had nothing to do with 900 so pay attention
Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
You don't get it do you it has nothing to do with priority and everything to do with resources.

I feel that it was and is a cheap shot against the rest of flyers fans when he keeps stating over and over again he would be willing to pay what ever the asking price is.

And I wasn't referring to flyerhoops or UDPride not sure where he got that impression as I belong to both, just saying that not everyone is in a position to pay whatever the asking price is and to gloat in the face of those who can't is over the top. My reference to another board had nothing to do with either boards but possibly their is a board of the super elite where they can relate their wealth to others.

As stated above a person is not going to sell their body parts just to buy UD tickets. For those who can and are willing, great but don't make the rest of us fell like we aren't true loyal flyer fans.
I assumed it was flyerhoops since it is "elitist" in the fact you have to pay. Didn't consider pride+ since most users here who are on + also post on free board. You're point was people spend money on UD when it's a want, not a need.

Second point is some people will go to the moon to spend their cash on UD. That is their #1 priority in life and maybe it's not yours. The university needs people like that. However, if enough people don't spend then UD can't continue to raise prices. But to ridicule someone because they will pay whatever it takes, within their budget, is not appropriate. I'm not rich but understand there are people doing better than me in an economic sense and do things I can't.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
As ticket prices/seat licenses increase, the opportunity to split season tickets with friends will increase. Talk to your lower arena friends...good chance to move down, although it may mean attending 1/2 the games.
cj (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 AM
1st Lieutenant

Now on to something more positive and uplifting: To compete at the highest levels the Arena renovation is necessary. It is approaching 50 years old. The choice has always been to renovate or build new. I believe the choice was made to renovate because of two factors: One cost (it will be much cheaper) and two because we all love the Arena, it has become Iconic. It is Iconic, but dated.

I have travelled to most of the NCAA games over the last 4 years. There are two things that strike me about the venues. First, there are new and very nice. All of the amenities you would want or need. I always say when I am there that wow, it would be cool to play here all of the time. But what I also have notices is that the venues in general are all the same. There are indistinguishable from each other.

That is why I am so excited that the university has chosen to renovate. A renovated UD Arena will still be iconic, but new. It will not feel like all of the others. UD Arena is special, and I cannot wait to here exactly what final decisions have been made. What the time line is. I hope they install web cams that allow us to watch the progress. These are great times. Enjoy it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-23-2017), FrankStreetFlyer (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
I assumed it was flyerhoops since it is "elitist" in the fact you have to pay. Didn't consider pride+ since most users here who are on + also post on free board. You're point was people spend money on UD when it's a want, not a need.

Second point is some people will go to the moon to spend their cash on UD. That is their #1 priority in life and maybe it's not yours. The university needs people like that. However, if enough people don't spend then UD can't continue to raise prices. But to ridicule someone because they will pay whatever it takes, within their budget, is not appropriate. I'm not rich but understand there are people doing better than me in an economic sense and do things I can't.
Didn't ridicule him for that reason, but rather his multi post stating it and the claim that some just didn't have the same love or priority for UD. I can tell you I will match my love passion for an thing UD in all sports with anyone. Just because one has the love duty to elderly family takes top priority.

I am self employed and together with my partner do quite well financially but as said in an earlier post contributing to needs of family members need stretches that income to the max. If I didn't care or feel the responsibility to those I love then I could do as I like. Of course not living in Dayton eliminates the games I can and do attend.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana spent a bunch of money renovating Assembly Hall, rather than building a new arena...the cost of both options might have been comparable.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM
General of the Air Force

When I came back from service in 68 I had a physical and never went to a doctor again nor had any illinesses till I turned 70. Cancer is a ***** as Rollo will tell you. It took me out of commission for months due to treatment. My point is that while many of you are still much younger one does not know when their health or the health of loved ones will change how and where you prioritize your spending.

I took his mullltiple post stating he could and would pay whatever the asking price was as a slam on those of us who were not in an equal position. If I mistook his multi post (got it the first time he posted) then I apologize as it seemed a slam on those who were not able or willing to pay that price.

The statement regarding having higher priorities got in my crawl since no one knows the others position in regards to priorities and the financial position and responsibilities.

I don't just support and follow mens basketball but all sports and both men and women. I make an annual contribution when they phone for $$$, albeit not what some may do but what I can do without taking anything away from my families needs. Had my family died off in their 60's I'd be sitting pretty right now, but most are in their late 80's to 90's and still living. I try to give them the quality and dignity of life as best I can and pray like hell I don't become a burden too.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Now on to something more positive and uplifting: To compete at the highest levels the Arena renovation is necessary. It is approaching 50 years old. The choice has always been to renovate or build new. I believe the choice was made to renovate because of two factors: One cost (it will be much cheaper) and two because we all love the Arena, it has become Iconic. It is Iconic, but dated.

I have travelled to most of the NCAA games over the last 4 years. There are two things that strike me about the venues. First, there are new and very nice. All of the amenities you would want or need. I always say when I am there that wow, it would be cool to play here all of the time. But what I also have notices is that the venues in general are all the same. There are indistinguishable from each other.

That is why I am so excited that the university has chosen to renovate. A renovated UD Arena will still be iconic, but new. It will not feel like all of the others. UD Arena is special, and I cannot wait to here exactly what final decisions have been made. What the time line is. I hope they install web cams that allow us to watch the progress. These are great times. Enjoy it.
UD Earl I am not against renovating the arena at all as I am sure it needs it at least in the infrastructure. My quandary is conflicting since I would like to see seats added up into the 17500 area as on one end I feel we could fill it with the right conference and non con opponents; then there is the part where I worried (past tense here as its been addressed) that the sweatervests would be moving on one way or another. Its inevitable we don't live forever.

Heres hoping what ever the U decides to do whether it be renovating or new or a new conference it has the support of flyer fans of all ages and is successful.....and that I may live long enough to see and experience it, as I do attend games when in the area.

Like I said above, if I misread your posts and/or its intents I apologize, we are all flyers
Old 03-23-2017, 11:06 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
As ticket prices/seat licenses increase, the opportunity to split season tickets with friends will increase. Talk to your lower arena friends...good chance to move down, although it may mean attending 1/2 the games.
We did that for a few years but those who bought the tickets we weren't going to use didn't want to pay their share of the license fee, just the tickets for the game. At that rate it was a loss that fell upon us and didn't feel it was right, so grudgingly we gave up our lower bowl seats we held from 1969 onward. Fortunately the past couple years most mens bball games are on national tv or at least where I can sling it. The other sports are generally streamed and for the few that are not I pony up the 99 fee to A-10 streaming rights.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM
2nd Lieutenant

FrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the roughFrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the roughFrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the rough
I do not post often but I want to thank UD_Earl for his insight.

I acknowledge that even a doubling of seat licenses would be a value compared to other top 25 basketball programs. My initial concerns were less that I would be priced out of attendance but that many of the people around me would. I want to make sure that the arena is filled with rabid fans including multi-generational fans and those who were around at the beginning of the arena.

I was concerned that if we lose these fans they may get replaced by corporations who will bring casual fans that would detract from the Arena. UD _Earl has diminished my concerns. To those that are afraid they will be priced out, let’s hold our outrage to till we learn more. It sounds like their will be a place for all of us.

The updated Arena sounds great and I can’t wait to be a part of it.
Mad Props to FrankStreetFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Nashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to allNashville_Flyer is a name known to all
This is my main reason for supporting a renovation over a new arena. There are a lot of very nice arenas out there with better sight lines and amenities, but most of these are not on "top basketball arena" lists. UD Arena is on these lists and will continue to be on these lists with a renovation. And there is no way UD would build a brand new arena without it being a multi-purpose arena rather than a basketball only arena.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
My 2 cents...

I love my Flyers...between myself and my family there are 12 seats that we have access to in a variety of ways...some are subbed out (tickets that I have had for over a decade but are in a large corporations name), some used by family, some owned by family but subbed out...

Anywho...that's not the point..the point is that we are all loyal fans and will find a way to figure out the cost...I have Bengals tickets that I still own but sub out the whole season because I don't see myself getting value. UD knows that people will pay. And they will.

My only beef, is that while I agree there should be some shared expense passed on to all...the majority of the arena renovation cost will be to incorporate suites...that 90% of us either won't pay for or can't pay for and most likely will never step foot in. I don't like to subsidize others endeavors that I will see no benefit from. Concessions and access will benefit all fans. The arena gets suites...then pass on that cost entirely to the suite users over time...not to the general ticket holder.

Renovations are needed for certain reasons. My hope is that the increases are reasonable and that existing season ticket holders aren't negatively impacted. One of my family members have great seats that are in the back row of 200 at almost center court...if their seats are impacted negatively as ticket holders since the Arena opened, that would be a raw deal when over time they could have moved way down and possibly avoided any interference with a remodel.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
This Season Ticket Holder

has paid top dollar for tickets for 47 years and has loved every minute of it. But all good things come to an end and we may be close. I am certain of one thing. There will be a line to buy my seats.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post

My only beef, is that while I agree there should be some shared expense passed on to all...the majority of the arena renovation cost will be to incorporate suites...that 90% of us either won't pay for or can't pay for and most likely will never step foot in. I don't like to subsidize others endeavors that I will see no benefit from. Concessions and access will benefit all fans. The arena gets suites...then pass on that cost entirely to the suite users over time...not to the general ticket holder.
Sullivan is sensitive to this issue and probably feels much the same. Whatever cost the suites/loge seats are, they will be paid for by the owners (or future owners) -- and those payments may even go beyond just that and further fund the general Arena reno.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Sullivan is sensitive to this issue and probably feels much the same. Whatever cost the suites/loge seats are, they will be paid for by the owners (or future owners) -- and those payments may even go beyond just that and further fund the general Arena reno.
Oh Chris....I wish I could believe that.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FrankStreetFlyer View Post
I do not post often but I want to thank UD_Earl for his insight.

I acknowledge that even a doubling of seat licenses would be a value compared to other top 25 basketball programs. My initial concerns were less that I would be priced out of attendance but that many of the people around me would. I want to make sure that the arena is filled with rabid fans including multi-generational fans and those who were around at the beginning of the arena.

I was concerned that if we lose these fans they may get replaced by corporations who will bring casual fans that would detract from the Arena. UD _Earl has diminished my concerns. To those that are afraid they will be priced out, let’s hold our outrage to till we learn more. It sounds like their will be a place for all of us.

The updated Arena sounds great and I can’t wait to be a part of it.
We are not a top 25 program.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:23 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
That was kind of what I was hearing, but wasn't too sure about it. They have been really receptive, and I would imagine that this conversation would not be overlooked.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

Shawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of light
Shocka43 did you see my message regarding your Father I think we have some connections?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Can't we just have Clay Mathile pay for the renovation. He can spare some of his 3.8 Billion.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...Gmt6SmcqU3WSO/
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnee2 View Post
Shocka43 did you see my message regarding your Father I think we have some connections?
PM me...may have missed it.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Can't we just have Clay Mathile pay for the renovation. He can spare some of his 3.8 Billion.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...Gmt6SmcqU3WSO/
Clay was on the board of trustees about 15+ years ago. I think he got into a bit of trouble for making a car loan to the father of a recruit? Anyone else remember this???

So, let me ask everyone this - would you be willing to change the name of UD Arena to The Clay Mathile Arena if he stroked a check for the entire renovation?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Oh Chris....I wish I could believe that.
Believe it or not, UD does value the opinions of the regular joes as much as the big guys.

Posts above indicate "we aren't a top 25 program"....and with that UD takes what people have to say a little more than a perennial top 25 program.

There are certain things that we all have commented on that we haven't been pleased with, many of which were under the former reign...there are some good things and people in place to oversee this.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Clay was on the board of trustees about 15+ years ago. I think he got into a bit of trouble for making a car loan to the father of a recruit? Anyone else remember this???

So, let me ask everyone this - would you be willing to change the name of UD Arena to The Clay Mathile Arena if he stroked a check for the entire renovation?
It involved Brooks Hall from what I remember.

And yes I would be perfectly happy if they called it UD Clay Mathile Arena if he paid for everything.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
It's was a loan on a house
Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
And yes I would be perfectly happy if they called it UD Clay Mathile Arena if he paid for everything.
No, not " UD Clay Mathile Arena," THE Clay Mathile Arena?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
No, not " UD Clay Mathile Arena," THE Clay Mathile Arena?
I'm in favor of whatever gets the place renovated.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

Shawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of light
My cousin hired your Father, I believe in 76?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 AM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udfanatic View Post
After flow issues we need a new sound system. The current sound has no bass and sounds terrible. It's hard on your ears and hard to get pumped without the bass.
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Because, you know, it's all about that bass. 'Bout that bass. No treble!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk

Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Believe it or not, UD does value the opinions of the regular joes as much as the big guys.

Posts above indicate "we aren't a top 25 program"....and with that UD takes what people have to say a little more than a perennial top 25 program.

There are certain things that we all have commented on that we haven't been pleased with, many of which were under the former reign...there are some good things and people in place to oversee this.
I have been to a couple of Dr Spina's strategic visioning sessions and came away very impressed. He faced several questions about not only the Fairgrounds purchase, but the Arena and athletics in general. I believe there will be more transparency with the fan base as the arena project moves forward than it would have been under Curran. Just my opinion.

What resonated most with me is Dr Spina emphasizing on making the University of Dayton a presence on the NATIONAL stage. Taking nothing away from the job DC did during his tenure and the boost in enrollment, endowments, China Institute, Flyer games broadcast in Mandarin, and the lasting impact it will have on the university, the perception of some is that recognition nationally took a hit.

And yeah, let's leave Clay Mathile out of it. He cozied up to Brooks Hall's dad, Chuck, during Brooks' recruitment...and vice versa.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 AM

I have been to a couple of Dr Spina's strategic visioning sessions and came away very impressed. He faced several questions about not only the Fairgrounds purchase, but the Arena and athletics in general. I believe there will be more transparency with the fan base as the arena project moves forward than it would have been under Curran. Just my opinion.

What resonated most with me is Dr Spina emphasizing on making the University of Dayton a presence on the NATIONAL stage.
He and Neil have been impressive.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Curran's tenure

What resonated most with me is Dr Spina emphasizing on making the University of Dayton a presence on the NATIONAL stage. Taking nothing away from the job DC did during his tenure and the boost in enrollment, endowments, China Institute, Flyer games broadcast in Mandarin, and the lasting impact it will have on the university, the perception of some is that recognition nationally took a hit.

And yeah, let's leave Clay Mathile out of it. He cozied up to Brooks Hall's dad, Chuck, during Brooks' recruitment...and vice versa.
When Dan Curran arrived at UD the place was falling apart....and no one seemed to care. Run down tennis courts in the heart of campus? The transformation (and expansion) of UD's physical plant during Curran's tenure has been nothing less than remarkable.

Spina starts from an entirely different position than Curran...and is well positioned to concentrate on academics, national recognition, etc. UD has a long way to go in those areas....and coming from Prineton and Syracuse Spina is well position to lead us to and through the next phase.