Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Schedule this.....

I know that what is posted on this board is often seen and read by many individuals within the athletic department. With that in mind, as a season ticket holder for the past 9 season, I have to say that I was disappointed with this year’s schedule.

I am fully aware of the difficulties that programs like UD face when trying to put together a non-conference schedule. The days of home and home games with likes of Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, ND and UC are sadly long gone. These programs have left UD behind for the bright lights of big time college basketball. Without big time football and a big time conference the chances of those series restarting are just slim to none. Most UD fans can understand this cold reality of big time college athletics. Having said that, UD could do a much better job of attracting more compelling match ups.

My first thought would be to tap into some of our relationships within the Pioneer Football League. I would think that Ted Kissell would have the ear of the other athletic directors within the PFL. It would seem to make some sense to schedule new home and home series with fellow PFL programs like Davidson, Butler, Valpo, Drake, or San Diego.

What about programs like Missouri State, Wichita State, Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Indiana State, Evansville, Pepperdine, Northern Iowa, St. Mary's, Western Kentucky, Tulsa, Tulane, Bradley, Nevada, Utah State, Air Force, TCU, UTEP, New Mexico State, Colorado State, or even Weber State? Bradley just makes so much sense for so many reasons it's just plain silly we haven't played them.

I am guessing that the Marshall and Troy games are the start of new home and home series. (The reason I say this is because years ago we would have never scheduled Toledo or Akron home and home, but boy have time changed.) If that is indeed the case, I'm extremely disappointed in UD. I have to believe that there were opportunities to start series with much more compelling opponents. Heck, get Bucknell, Drexel or Holy Cross on the phone!

I just have a sneaking feeling that Ted's pride is also hamstringing our scheduling efforts to an extent. The reason I say this is because it seems that UD has a strange aversion to anything from the Horizon League. I could be way off base on this but it seems UD avoids scheduling home and home games with logical programs like Butler, Detroit, and Loyola to avoid the inevitable cry of foul from the local media and Wright State fans. The truth is that UD has some history with these three programs and it would seem logical that we'd renew these relationships given the current environment of big time basketball. Maybe it's time for Kissell to swallow his pride and call Butler, Detroit and Loyola. As a season ticket holder, I'd prefer these games over home and home games with the likes of basketball challenged programs like SMU, Troy and Marshall.

As a financial supporter of UD athletics, this is my two cents.

Last edited by Gem City; 07-15-2008 at 12:53 PM..
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Athletics Department Communications Shortfall...

Gem City makes his case well. But to me the most telling element of his remarks is that he has to "guess" whether or not Troy and Marshall are new series starts. I don't believe they are. But, the truth is that neither of us know.

How can that be? The Athletics Department (Division?) came out with its usual press release discussing the `08-`09 OOC schedule. After reading such a release no one should have to "guess" which new opponents represent the first game of a new series start up. Unlike just about everything else on this board, there is hardly room for any difference of opinion re this issue. A press release discussing the up-coming schedule should not leave readers guessing about a significant issue like new series opponents.

What in the world are Ted and Doug thinking when they produce a press release so lacking in significant information of interest to the Faithful?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
Here's a marketing idea for you. How about a double header UD football and basketball game? We could play Drake in football in the afternoon and Drake's basketball team later that night. You could put some packaged deals together. It's just an idea. It could work for any of the late season PFL games. (Butler, Valpo, Morehead, San Diego, Jacksonville, etc.)
Old 07-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Bravo Gem City

Very creative thinking. I like your ideas. One other aspect of the UD home OOC portion of the schedule is playing Sunday afternoon games in the Arena. This conflicts with NFL scheduling and will result in smaller home crowds. IMHO this was a poor choice but perhaps the opponent insisted on the day.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Binnie Bombs 33 is on a distinguished road
Gem ... I totally agree with you, I actually just posted that in the other thread.

Why doesn't Teddy Boy tap into our other teams resources that some people claim to say are so much better to help the one thing that matters most to UD, bball.

That is an awesome idea. Noon Saturday game vs. Drake or Butler (just throwing out names) then over to the Arena at 7 pm Saturday night for a bball game ... HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!! And we return the favor by sending both of our teams there.

If I was the AD of a school like UD ... I would not sleep until something like this was completed ... it is to normal and smart of an idea to not do!

But then again I guess some fans on here think we would be way over our head to even think that tiny UD with no revenue could ever get a home and home series with Drake and Butler ...

... This is where Teddy uses his great work in other areas of the athletic program to get that done. UD football wants to be challenged by everyone ... get it freaking done! AD's all over the country find ways to do it for their school's why can't ours?

GEM CITY FOR AD ... TMAN FOR SPORTS INFORMATION DIRECTOR ...
Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Binnie Bombs 33 View Post
GEM CITY FOR AD ... TMAN FOR SPORTS INFORMATION DIRECTOR ...

Don't you mean 'Tman for Sports Manipulation Director"?????
Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gem City View Post
Here's a marketing idea for you. How about a double header UD football and basketball game? We could play Drake in football in the afternoon and Drake's basketball team later that night. You could put some packaged deals together. It's just an idea. It could work for any of the late season PFL games. (Butler, Valpo, Morehead, San Diego, Jacksonville, etc.)

The problem being generally there is little overlap between the football and basketball seasons. Generally only one game at most and that may be on the road.
In the past they have tried womens' basketball game double header with men's and it never took off.