Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
CollegeHoops.net.....

Has picked Temple to win the A-10. They picked Temple 1st, Xavier 2nd, and Dayton 3rd. They have Dayton as the 42nd best team and they picked them to go to the NCAA's.
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Captain

GRFlyer will become famous soon enoughGRFlyer will become famous soon enough
I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but here's the link to their preview of UD:
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/20080...view-42-113677
Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDF4N4LIF3 View Post
Has picked Temple to win the A-10. They picked Temple 1st, Xavier 2nd, and Dayton 3rd. They have Dayton as the 42nd best team and they picked them to go to the NCAA's.
are the Temple bigs really that good to stop wright/little/KH and company???

i think they are an underdog pick, but hey i haven't fully analyzed them yet.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post

I agree, if you ask me I think we are by far the most athletic team in the Conference. And I think we have the best talent level in the A-10. Wright, Johnson, Little, Thats a vary skilled line-up when they are on the floor.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

...They have Dayton as the 42nd best team and they picked them to go to the NCAA's...
Recent history would tell me that being 42nd will not get us an NCAA bid. Its good enough for a BCS team but not for a non-BCS team.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
Recent history would tell me that being 42nd will not get us an NCAA bid. Its good enough for a BCS team but not for a non-BCS team.
Normally an RPI of 42 would get us in - if we had a winning conference record. A non-BCS team won't normally get in with a .500 conference record even with an excellent RPI, as we found out last year. But in 03-04 we got in with an RPI of 40, and Richmond got in with 47. Last year St Joe's had a 44 RPI and got in.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Normally an RPI of 42 would get us in - if we had a winning conference record. A non-BCS team won't normally get in with a .500 conference record even with an excellent RPI, as we found out last year. But in 03-04 we got in with an RPI of 40, and Richmond got in with 47. Last year St Joe's had a 44 RPI and got in.
You are probably right, I don't think that is the way it should be. I say win is a win, the committee should not discriminate against a team because they won their game in the non-con schedule vs the conference schedule.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:41 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
You are probably right, I don't think that is the way it should be. I say win is a win, the committee should not discriminate against a team because they won their game in the non-con schedule vs the conference schedule.
True. On the one hand they say they look at the "total body of work," but on the other hand they say they look at the last 10 or 12 games. If you are a non-BCS conference team, you better have a good total body of work AND a good last 12 games AND a good RPI AND some quality wins AND no bad losses.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Major

True. On the one hand they say they look at the "total body of work," but on the other hand they say they look at the last 10 or 12 games. If you are a non-BCS conference team, you better have a good total body of work AND a good last 12 games AND a good RPI AND some quality wins AND no bad losses.
Ummmm I don't think so. South Alabama got in last year and they didn't excatly play any quality teams. They had two losses to Middile Tennessee State. And They lost to Miami (OH). Their biggest win was against San Diego. The only reason they got in was because of how many (WINS) they had. Dayton has a MUCH better schedule this year then South Alabama did last year. If we get 25 wins with our schedule we will be in.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these parts
Ummmm I don't think so. South Alabama got in last year and they didn't excatly play any quality teams. They had two losses to Middile Tennessee State. And They lost to Miami (OH). Their biggest win was against San Diego. The only reason they got in was because of how many (WINS) they had. Dayton has a MUCH better schedule this year then South Alabama did last year. If we get 25 wins with our schedule we will be in.
South Alabama played quality teams. The lost a close game to Vandy and they beat NCAA team Miss. State. They also beat Western Kentucky (a sweet 16 team) twice. The reason they went and we didn't is because they did not fall apart during their conference play like we did.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM

They were 3-2 against the Top 50 so they played (and beat) somebody. They lost to Vanderbilt (12) in double OT. They beat Mississippi State (40) and lost to Mississippi (48) by 3 points. Middle Tennessee State had an RPI of 110 - not that bad. Miami's RPI was 73. They were 8-2 in their last 10 games. They were 9-5 in road/neutral games. They had no losses to anybody with an RPI of 200+. They were 16-2 in their conference and had an overall RPI of 37. I would say they met all the criteria I outlined. One could argue we had a better overall "body of work," but 8-8 in conference and 5-5 in the last 10 just doesn't hack it.

Last edited by longtimefan; 10-20-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post

Well, Wright isn't a true big. We have two true bigs, Huelsman and Searcy. Temple has Lavoy Allen, who is going to be a star in this league. I'd give the edge to Temple.

Temple is good, but I certainly wouldn't have them ahead of Xavier. I question Temple's defense. I don't know that it's good enough to win 12 or more league games. Losing Tyndale will hurt them. They can score with anyone, but offense takes games off no matter how much effort is there. Good defense will always be there with effort.

And I think we're going to be better than Temple. The team I'm most worried about (other than X, we know they'll be up there) is St Joes. I think people are overlooking them. Don't.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I think that one could consider Wright a true big, the way I use the term. (PF and Center) He is extremely versatile, and I think we will see him in a variety of roles this year. I think we will see him used as a 4 a decent amount because we have a lot of guards and wings we will want to get on the floor. I think Fabrizius will play as a 3 when he is in there, but that is just my guess.

Last edited by Fudd; 10-20-2008 at 08:51 PM..
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
One could argue we had a better overall "body of work," but 8-8 in conference and 5-5 in the last 10 just doesn't hack it.
That's the main point right there. As fans we believe the "body of work" establishes that the teams that have had adversity early or late are able to say that "overall" we were something.

In a world driven by money, the NCAA could give a rats A if you balled out at the beginning of the year. They want the most money which usually translates to who is the most competitive at the end of the year and who is bringing the most to the table come tourney time.

But, IMO, the end should count and not the overall. If your team has been able to battle adversity that is thrown at you throughout the season, then you are the tougher team. I don't care that you didn't have a loss versus the sisters of the poor before January and beat two quality teams. When a team doesn't win against mediocre teams in their conference, they aren't going to be what the NCAA is looking for come March. In our case, if we had overcome adversity and pulled out games we should have won even with our problems, we wouldn't be having this conversation due to the fact we would have been in the 64.

Lets all hope that the crap from last season is a thing of the past and that this time next year we are still excited that we had a strong finish to our upcoming season.

This team has talent. See you all Saturday.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:01 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I think that one could consider Wright a true big, the way I use the term. (PF and Center) He is extremely versatile, and I think we will see him in a variety of roles this year. I think we will see him used as a 4 a decent amount because we have a lot of guards and wings we will want to get on the floor. I think Fabrizius will play as a 3 when he is in there, but that is just my guess.
That's a good point, but my version of a "big" is playing on the block. That's not and never will be CW's game. His versatility makes him more than that.

He's a better player than Allen, but Allen will be better on the block.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not so sure that we will never see him on the block as a good part of his game. He looks to be developing the kind of body that you can put down there when the situation calls for it. And he plays bigger than his stature with the leaping ability and long arms. We won't be using him there exclusively, but I think he is going to do damage from the block this season and future seasons. By the time he leaves UD, I think he is going to have it all.