User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas Invited to NBA Draft Combine

I thought it was interesting that Kostas received an invitation to attend the upcoming NBA Draft combine in Chicago (May 16-20).

https://sports.yahoo.com/complete-20...211843026.html

Though the circumstances surrounding his UD career were unusual to say the least, in my opinion, it's a positive if he performs well and gets drafted. UD has not had a player drafted since Negele Knight.

This is kind of a separate discussion, but I have thought that one of the proverbial "next steps" we can take as a program is to get guys drafted and playing real roles in the NBA. That's the goal for pretty much any big-time player (NBA). It's been fun to follow Chris Wright, Chris Johnson, Brian Roberts, and Charles Cooke. But it would be more fun, and better for the program, for recruiting, etc. It's cool we can point to BRob and how he was a solid backup PG for a few years, and Chris Wright guarded Kobe for a couple possessions one game, but it would be sooo much better for us if we could point to a guy who was a successful first round pick. I'm not even asking for a 2-time MVP like Steph Curry out of Davidson. I'd be happy with a solid performer like Kenneth Faried out of Morehead State. Coach Kane helped to recruit and develop Cam Payne and Isaiah Canaan, maybe he can help us land someone who will be good enough to be drafted in the next couple years.

Anyway, I figure if Kostas does well and someone takes a *cough* flyer on him in the second round, he has a chance to bring some positive press to the program that we can use going forward. I wish he'd had a better career here at UD, and I wish he'd wanted to stay at least another year, but now that he's a former Flyer, I hope he does well.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-05-2018), OSU Flyer (05-05-2018), ud2 (05-06-2018), wes (05-05-2018)
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Younger brother?

Dosen't he have a brother still in high school, who is suppose to be better than all the brothers? Are we recruiting him?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
Dosen't he have a brother still in high school, who is suppose to be better than all the brothers? Are we recruiting him?
He does have a younger brother. I don't think AG would want to recruit him unless he carries a 4.0 GPA and emphatically states that he'd like to become a UD Flyer.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
And if he gets drafted, can we technically say we have accepted one and done players? (Play one year and leave for the draft.)
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:23 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
THirt agreed.

Just having someone stage in the first round is invaluable free marketing and more importantly program validation for recruiting. The program would get more validity with recruits and an NBA guy out there on a nightly basis is just grows the brand so to speak

I'd be happy with someone who stuck around for a while with the career of a Kyle Korver. Play for a decade and on some high profile teams.

I know that Xavier, Creighton and Butler really hit home their NBA guys in recruiting. They can sell that as validation that their program's player development works and of the program itself.

It's one thing to say you can get to the NBA from Dayton, it's another thing if AG has a guy who's more widely known that he can point to

I'm not sure how much but I've always thought that lack of a visible NBA guy like Korver, David West, etc hurt us in recruiting versus the programs that have been considered peers

Someone like Coach Cal sitting in the green room with a Kentucky kid on draft night is priceless. I'd guess a large % of recruits are watching the draft on tv. Hopefully AG can get in that position
Old 05-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
How can a kid who couldn't even start or get it done for a bad A10 team make it in the NBA? Well he can't. He had a whole year to prepare for college and appeared to waste it. He does not shoot, handle the ball or rebound well. So what is his role? Defender? Too weak. I don't think he has one at the next level. Think he could have become a pretty good college player, but nothing more. Perhaps he will mature( skill and attitude) in several years, but I doubt it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by maddog07; 05-05-2018 at 04:53 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-05-2018), Gazoo (05-07-2018), rollo (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:38 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
How can a kid who couldn't even start or get it done for a bad A10 team make it in the NBA?
Posted via Mobile Device
The NBA drafts on potential
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (05-05-2018), MNFats (05-05-2018), ruechalgrin (05-07-2018), WarriorPride (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
re: Jonathan Bender,Stromile Swift,Eddy Curry.Kwame Brown,Tyrus Thomas,Sebastian Telfair and on and on and on and on. For every decent gamble on potential there are ten of the above guys.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:23 AM
General

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
re: Jonathan Bender,Stromile Swift,Eddy Curry.Kwame Brown,Tyrus Thomas,Sebastian Telfair and on and on and on and on. For every decent gamble on potential there are ten of the above guys.
It's like Philadelphia and the "The Process". You swing and miss a lot in the NBA Draft.

Giannis wasn't a polished guy coming into the NBA
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
The NFL definitely drafts on potential. It's why some no-name from Bowling Green or Wayne State who shows up at the combine and runs a 4.35 40 yd dash, has a 39" vertical and 30+ Wonderlic score gets picked.

The NBA drafts on results and considers potential...the greater your perceived potential, the more of a risk they'll take on you, but don't kid yourself believing for one minute that Kostas will get drafted on potential. The NBA has plenty of All-Stars taken in the 2nd round...it's not always a wasted pick.

IF an NBA team decides to throw away their 2nd round pick and choses Kostas, it'll be for his name and nothing else. Face it, if his name were Josh Benson, we'd all know and admit the truth.
BeckysTXA (05-06-2018), BRob2Perryman3 (05-06-2018), Gazoo (05-07-2018), ruechalgrin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bingo! A few posters might be eating some serious crow before the draft is over.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Bingo! A few posters might be eating some serious crow before the draft is over.
More than a few IIRC...
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
More than a few IIRC...
The Browns drafted Tim Couch, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, and Brady Quinn. . . in the first round. Since 1999.

Sure, hypothetically, someone might draft him. Then what? We shall see.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
How can a kid who couldn't even start or get it done for a bad A10 team make it in the NBA? Well he can't. He had a whole year to prepare for college and appeared to waste it. He does not shoot, handle the ball or rebound well. So what is his roll? Defender? Too weak. I don't think he has one at the next level. Think he could have become a pretty good college player, but nothing more. Perhaps he will mature( skill and attitude) in several years, but I doubt it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm with you. I just don't see it but will be delighted if he roves me wrong. Will some team take a chance and send him to the G League? Maybe. But I'm more inclined to say he'll crash and burn. Hopefully he pulls it all together and can play overseas so he a least has a career.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
He needs to mature. physically and mentally, to have any chance.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe be it's only me but I get no joy from Kostas being invited to the combine.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Maybe be it's only me but I get no joy from Kostas being invited to the combine.
I don't get this. You don't have to be happy that he left, but he's a Flyer. It's best for him and our program that he succeeds. The only thing that is going to raise his stock is his athleticism and measurables. The combine is a great opportunity for him, and our program.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (05-07-2018), jack72 (05-06-2018), ruechalgrin (05-07-2018), San Diego Flyer (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
I don't get this. You don't have to be happy that he left, but he's a Flyer. It's best for him and our program that he succeeds. The only thing that is going to raise his stock is his athleticism and measurables. The combine is a great opportunity for him, and our program.
Agreed. If a kid or coach damages the program or the university by attending, I'm out. Looking at you dumb and dumber.

I will never understand holding a grudge against anyone else for leaving. It is in the best interest of the program for a coach or player with an NBA invite that leaves to do well.

Kostas may not be ready for the NBA and may never be. But he clearly was not cut out for school so the G League may be what he needs. Why root against a kid?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I think he'll be drafted in the second round or signed as a priority free agent. Here has lottery pick level measurables and will blow somebody's mind at the combine. He's not anywhere near polished enough offensively or strength wise to be a regular rotation player, but his energy, speed, and lift, and ability to make splash plays, will get him on a roster as a 13th man to develop, or a two-way contract in the G league (more likely).

His devotion and passion will determine whether he becomes a star, or even a starter, in the Association. But he's got the body for it.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it’s only me.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jack D (05-06-2018), TerryK_67 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it’s only me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would much rather watch him develope into a great player while wearing a Dayton uniform, but I can kinda see the benefit of having a former player drafted. I just wish it was after he made a bigger impact, instead a proving how quickly he can get two fouls.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
I guess it’s only me.
Posted via Mobile Device
whatever
Old 05-06-2018, 08:50 AM
General

There's not many 6'11 guys in the world with his athletic ability. Donovan Mitchell who will be the rookie of the year or runner up wasn't on any all ACC team at Lousiville
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:31 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas better hope they draft 'on potential' because that's all he's got...and even that is subjective.
BeckysTXA (05-06-2018), longtimefan67 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
No need to rake CE80 over the coals. Kostas at the end of the day was an overall negative. He worshipped at the altar of Xeyrius,didn't cut it academically and depending on who you talk too wasnt exactly a team guy. Regardless of whether he makes the show and helps our recruiting is irrelevant to me. I wish him the best in his entire future, on and off the court. But don't expect ALL of us to be sad he's gone, we are better off without him and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-06-2018), Flyer 86 (05-08-2018), longtimefan67 (05-08-2018), rollo (05-06-2018), UDGutter2 (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Colonel

MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
No need to rake CE80 over the coals. Kostas at the end of the day was an overall negative. He worshipped at the altar of Xeyrius,didn't cut it academically and depending on who you talk too wasnt exactly a team guy. Regardless of whether he makes the show and helps our recruiting is irrelevant to me. I wish him the best in his entire future, on and off the court. But don't expect ALL of us to be sad he's gone, we are better off without him and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
Who raked CE80 over the coals? I said I "didn't get" his position. And he doesn't have to get mine. It's a conversation.

I think you are saying what most of us are thinking too. He didn't achieve what we hoped he would here. And we all wish him the best. We agree on that.

I think the disagreement comes from how his success (or lack thereof) can impact our program. If he succeeds (big if) there could be a positive impact to our recruiting abilities. You say you don't care about that impact, and that's fine, but most of us would like to see better players wearing the Flyer uniform. If this helps in any way, then it's a good thing.

I'm not betting on him getting drafted. But, a combine invite is a positive step for him. I guess I'm surprised that there are Flyer fans who don't care if he succeeds or not (not saying that includes you).
Old 05-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Colonel

we are better off without him and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
I would also disagree with the statement that we are better off without him. Only Landers and Cunningham had a better FG% and nobody was even close in blocks.

Yes, he had a ton of fouls. But that is common for a Freshman big. Here is how Kostas compares to some previous Freshman (I didn't look at everyone)

Average minutes per fouls as a Freshman:

Landers: 3
Little: 5.9
Big Steve: 6.4
Kostas: 6.6
Oliver: 7.8
Wright: 9.3

Landers isn't a traditional big and we don't know what would have happened with Big Steve, but everyone on this list improved on their fouls as they got older. Kostas would have as well. Regardless, his fouls were not out of line with what we have seen from our big guys before. Only difference is that we had high expectations for him - which isn't his fault. He still projected as an elite A10 player as an upperclassman - so my opinion is that we would be much better off with him.

Getting him to care about school would have been the issue...
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:14 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see UD getting much positive publicity out of Kostas. One scout has already wondered why UD didn't play him more to develop him. If he does well the line will probably be something like, "In spite of limited playing time at UD, Kostas has developed into a great player" or "In spite of not being given much of an opportunity at UD, Kostas has developed into a great player." They will ignore (or simply be ignorant of) the reasons he didn't get more playing time.

Last edited by longtimefan; 05-06-2018 at 01:17 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-07-2018), Flyer 86 (05-08-2018), Lowd&ProUD (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 03:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I don't see UD getting much positive publicity out of Kostas. One scout has already wondered why UD didn't play him more to develop him. If he does well the line will probably be something like, "In spite of limited playing time at UD, Kostas has developed into a great player" or "In spite of not being given much of an opportunity at UD, Kostas has developed into a great player." They will ignore (or simply be ignorant of) the reasons he didn't get more playing time.
I don’t feel raked by anyone. I feel the same as longtimefan if somehow Kostas makes it. However, for me it starts with my feeling that Kostas never bought into being a Flyer. That is why nothing he ever does will bring me joy. I don’t wish bad things for him. Just feel indifferent.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-07-2018), longtimefan67 (05-08-2018), MNFats (05-07-2018), UDGutter2 (05-06-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
LoL. Records on the court only count in this game and we are a much better team with Kostas on the floor than him coming off the bench in the G-League.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post

I think you are looking at deeper than the recruits. The publicity comes from watching a game and during intros hearing Player X from School or hearing the announcers discuss it.

The secondary impact is mentioning it in a kid's living room when recruiting him. There are plenty of players in the NBA that mirrored Kostas' apparent attitude toward their education. It sometimes is mentioned as a negative toward the NCAA in general but not toward the actual school.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-07-2018), ruechalgrin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:41 PM
General

Zach Collins of Gonzaga was the 10th pick in draft last year and he average 10ppg off of the bench. There's a bunch of examples of teams drafting of potential, just look at virtually every high school that was drafted.

Giannas averaged 9&5 for a Greek 2nd division team when he was drafted.

His athletic ability is unreal for a guy who's his size. That is a very rare trait and why he's going to the combine.

Duke and Kentucky can't find those guys let alone Dayton.

From the 60 Minutes interview with Giannis, the family grew up in poverty and considering Giannis was working at young age I'd think its reasonable to assume Kostas didn't grow up going to school. He comes to America as a junior in high school and goes to college not having English be his primary language. I can have some sympathy that he didn't like the school part of college basketball. Even with academic support I'm sure it's not easy trying to go college when English isn't something you grew up speaking. That's a tougher transition than I think many realize
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (05-07-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-06-2018), ruechalgrin (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Zach Collins of Gonzaga was the 10th pick in draft last year and he average 10ppg off of the bench. There's a bunch of examples of teams drafting of potential, just look at virtually every high school that was drafted.

Giannas averaged 9&5 for a Greek 2nd division team when he was drafted.

His athletic ability is unreal for a guy who's his size. That is a very rare trait and why he's going to the combine.
Then why doesn't Manchester United own his rights? "His athletic ability is unreal." Yes, but his skill is s**t.

Guys in the NBA can shoot. Really, really, really well. KA shot 57% from the floor (layups), but 51% from the FT line and 2/15 from 3 (0.133). He can't shoot.

Collins shot 65% from the field, 48% from 3, and 74% from the line in his 1 year of college. THAT'S potential.

Smart NBA executives don't just say "he's tall and fast, draft him." There's only 2 rounds, right? In the NFL there are . . . what . . . 74 rounds and 18,000 players drafted? Sure they'll throw a draft pick at someone just to see how it pans out.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Then why doesn't Manchester United own his rights? "His athletic ability is unreal." Yes, but his skill is s**t.

Guys in the NBA can shoot. Really, really, really well. KA shot 57% from the floor (layups), but 51% from the FT line and 2/15 from 3 (0.133). He can't shoot.

Collins shot 65% from the field, 48% from 3, and 74% from the line in his 1 year of college. THAT'S potential.

Smart NBA executives don't just say "he's tall and fast, draft him." There's only 2 rounds, right? In the NFL there are . . . what . . . 74 rounds and 18,000 players drafted? Sure they'll throw a draft pick at someone just to see how it pans out.
There's almost ZERO difference between the Greek Freak and Kostas from the 60 minutes feature when they showed Greek Freak as an 18 year old...In fact, I thought I was watching Giannis with the very lean body, incredibly high dribble, getting picked by the defender and then trailing the play and making a spectacular block at the other end which Kostas did more than a few times at UD. That, in and of itself, is enough to peak the eyes and ears of NBA GM's and toss an invite to him. NBA GM's would be stupid not to take a special look at Kostas. After all, who wants to be THAT team that passed on what could possibly be Greek freak 2. High chance? Absolutely not but what risk is there in drafting that kid in round 2 where few of these guys make it anyways or being at his front door 3 seconds after the draft is over and signing him as a FA should he not get drafted?

Whoever was/is trying to compare Collins to Kostas, well, that's a bad comparison. Collins showed great footwork in the NCAA where he was show-cased quite a bit and played excellent all the way to the finals.....Once could watch him and say THAT guy is NBA ready and within a couple years can be a solid NBA contributor..

Last edited by steve; 05-07-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 AM
General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
There's almost ZERO difference between the Greek Freak and Giannis from the 60 minutes feature when they showed Greek Freak as an 18 year old...In fact, I thought I was watching Giannis with the very lean body, incredibly high dribble, getting picked by the defender and then trailing the play and making a spectacular block at the other end which Giannis did more than a few times at UD. That, in and of itself, is enough to peak the eyes and ears of NBA GM's and toss an invite to him. NBA GM's would be stupid not to take a special look at Giannis. After all, who wants to be THAT team that passed on what could possibly be Greek freak 2. High chance? Absolutely not but what risk is there in drafting that kid in round 2 where few of these guys make it anyways or being at his front door 3 seconds after the draft is over and signing him as a FA should he not get drafted?

Whoever was/is trying to compare Collins to Giannis, well, that's a bad comparison. Collins showed great footwork in the NCAA where he was show-cased quite a bit and played excellent all the way to the finals.....Once could watch him and say THAT guy is NBA ready and within a couple years can be a solid NBA contributor..
Much truth there, in that I think there is relatively little difference between 100 guys not getting drafted and the guys playing in the NBA except for desire and attitude. So, Giannis having the right work ethic and attitude makes him NBA first team, while another 6'10" guy with the same physical ability who is too much of a headcase to work hard is an assistant coach at a DIII school somewhere in Iowa.

But still, Giannis has a nice stroke. Kostas can't hit water from a boat.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-07-2018), MNFats (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Much truth there, in that I think there is relatively little difference between 100 guys not getting drafted and the guys playing in the NBA except for desire and attitude. So, Giannis having the right work ethic and attitude makes him NBA first team, while another 6'10" guy with the same physical ability who is too much of a headcase to work hard is an assistant coach at a DIII school somewhere in Iowa.

But still, Giannis has a nice stroke. Kostas can't hit water from a boat.
I actually meant "Kostas" in my post so substitute/insert Kostas for Giannis....Stupid me..Still. I believe you probably know what I meant...

Just not sure what kind of stroke Giannis had at 18, though. The skinny body and high dribble were there just like Kostas. Still, there are plenty of guys who don't get drafted that aren't much different than those who are drafted/even playing with the big difference being the investment in that player by "said" team....Most of us can see a kid for the first time and see that barring injury he's either got the GAME to play professionally or at least the body/athleticism that projects down the road.....Watch that same player control a game defensively whether in the post or guarding the top players and along with the athleticism/ frame/length and he'll be 1st/2nd round pick or even watch a player handle/shoot/get to the rim along with the athleticism/frame/length and he'll also be a pick..

Being very young, being 6'10" with huge length and pretty darn good athleticism, and having a brother a top 3-4 player in the NBA allows the gene pool to have a say in being drafted..
Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Colonel

There are lots of guys in the NBA that can't shoot. There are guys shooting free throws at under 50% getting playing time. Andre Drummond shot over 42% this year for the first time in 6 seasons. Clint Capela shot 17% his rookie year. This years rookie of the year (Ben Simmons) shot 56%, but he went #1 overall based on athletic ability and skill.

Each of these guys, despite being bad shooters, are in the NBA because they bring a specific skill.

Kostas can play in the NBA without being a good shooter, but he will have to improve on defense.

The good thing about the current g-league structure and the introduction of 2-way contracts, he doesn't have to be ready today to get drafted late. Someone can use a late pick on him and stash him in the G-League for a couple of years. It may end up being a risk someone is willing to take.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:33 PM
General

There are lots of guys in the NBA that can't shoot. There are guys shooting free throws at under 50% getting playing time. Andre Drummond shot over 42% this year for the first time in 6 seasons. Clint Capela shot 17% his rookie year. This years rookie of the year (Ben Simmons) shot 56%, but he went #1 overall based on athletic ability and skill.

Each of these guys, despite being bad shooters, are in the NBA because they bring a specific skill.

Kostas can play in the NBA without being a good shooter, but he will have to improve on defense.

The good thing about the current g-league structure and the introduction of 2-way contracts, he doesn't have to be ready today to get drafted late. Someone can use a late pick on him and stash him in the G-League for a couple of years. It may end up being a risk someone is willing to take.
Ah yes, the old "I know this one guy" theory.

Don't play the lottery, it's just the bad math tax.
"I know this one guy, he won $10M."

Go to college and get an education.
"I know this one guy, he makes $10M per year playing video games."

You need to be a good shooter to play in the NBA.
"I know this one guy, he makes $10M per year and can't make FT's."

Ben Simmons CAN shoot. He will not finish his career as a 56% FT shooter. He shot 199 / 297 in college, which is a pedestrian 67%. But not bad. Since the rims and FT lines are the same in the NBA I will assume the FT defense is not the reason he stunk this year.

There are 109 NBA players with a qualifying number of FT's to be ranked on the ESPN site. Only 5 of them shoot worse than 60% from the FT line. Center, center, center, center, and Ben Simmons. The next 5? Center, center, center, power forward, and rookie guard Josh Jackson.

There are NOT "lots" of guys in the NBA who can't shoot. There are a few who are so crazy gifted at something else the team tolerates their lack of shooting.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Colonel

Ah yes, the old "I know this one guy" theory.
I used FT's as an example. How about the 24 forwards in the league that:

-Played at least 1,000 minutes this season
-made fewer than 30% of their 3pt shots

If I'm allowed to look at all players (instead of just forwards) it jumps to 57 players. That's 20% of the guys with 1000+ minutes shooting in the 20%'s or lower. If 20% of people won the lottery, I would play it too.

Two follow ups:
- Kostas is 20. He has time to develop a mid-range jumper and his FT% will improve.
- No, Ben Simmons can't shoot. He has elite skills at getting to the basket and finding open players. He is incredible at those two things. Dude was 0-11 from 3 this year and sub 60% FTs. He will get better.

So now it's the "I know these 57 guys" theory.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM

you forgot strength, toughness, quickness, anticipation, patience, footwork, post moves,...

So I guess all of us have the potential to play in the NBA! That's good!
Gazoo (05-07-2018), TA111 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
And exactly what "specify skill" does Kostas have? And why didn't we get to see it???
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-07-2018), jack72 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Colonel

And exactly what "specify skill" does Kostas have? And why didn't we get to see it???
Posted via Mobile Device
He doesn't have to have it yet, NBA teams just need to see the potential for that skill.

It's his size/athleticism. I'm not saying he is NBA ready. He's not. Just saying being a bad shooter doesn't always keep you out of the NBA.

He needs to work on his D (which is why I mentioned the couple of years in the G-League). If he wants to work at it (which may be the problem) he has the tools to be a great defender.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
I wish him well, but Kostas isn't getting drafted, unless the Bucks take him with a pick deep in the 2nd round to please Giannis and then plant him in the G League. Kostas will have a solid 8-10 year career in some Euro-league if he can get bigger and stronger.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post
I wish him well, but Kostas isn't getting drafted, unless the Bucks take him with a pick deep in the 2nd round to please Giannis and then plant him in the G League. Kostas will have a solid 8-10 year career in some Euro-league if he can get bigger and stronger.
It's likely that Kostas' agent already knows which NBA team he will be going to camp with as an undrafted free agent.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Enough of this silly speculation about Kostas going in the draft. Where do you all think Matej Svoboda will be drafted?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (05-07-2018), SLUFLYER (05-14-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:10 PM
General

Skal Labissiere at Kentucky averaged 6 points & 3 boards and was a 1st round pick

Hamidou Diallo at Kentucky was a borderline first round pick last year despite having just redshirted his first year at UK

Skal got drafted all on potential
Old 05-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Major

I really don't see Kostas getting drafted although I would be happy if he did.

I'm not sure that he won't based solely on seeing "highlights" of some of the European stashes the Sixers have taken over the years. Some of them are downright Kostasesque.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:13 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Slightly different perspective here: I realize there’s a saying about “no such thing as bad publicity”, but I’m not sure how I feel about Kostas becoming a poster child for former UD players in the NBA. In addition to the backhanded digs mentioned earlier (“Despite playing only ‘x’ minutes a game in his 1 season at Dayton University...”), I don’t want the narrative to be “See, kids? If you come to UD, eff-off in the classroom for 2 years, and fail to mature until 3/4 of the way through your only season in a Flyer uniform, you too could have a future in the NBA!”

All that said, I have a feeling that he would not have gotten this opportunity if his last name wasn’t Antetokounmpo and Giannis wasn’t Exhibit A. It’s now up to him to do something with this opportunity. But yes, I can see the Bucks or some other team in the latter stages of the 2nd Round drafting him and assigning him to their G-League affiliate. And no, he is not ready for the NBA at this point in his life. But best of luck to him, and I hope he figures it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Major General

Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Hot take: Kostas will get drafted in the late 2nd round. Too many people will think that pedigree will come around close to Giannis
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-08-2018), Justin (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Hot take: Kostas will get drafted in the late 2nd round. Too many people will think that pedigree will come around close to Giannis
There is another Antetokounmpo professional basketball data point - Thanasis. He was drafted in the second round by the Knicks and eventually did get one - 10 day NBA contract. I believe he was more skilled going into the draft than Kostas.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Unfortunately for Kostas most of them were the UD fans at the start of last season. Reality has hit for the NBA scouts.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Colonel

Kostas was in Toronto for a pre-draft workout with the Raptors yesterday.

.@Raptors will be holding a pre-draft workout this afternoon with the following players; Giddy Potts (Middle Tennessee State), Joe Chealey (Charleston), Kostas Antetokounmpo (Dayton) and Alan Herndon (Wyoming).

7:22 AM - 9 May 2018
OSU Flyer (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
pre work out write up
https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2018...icial-session/
Old 05-10-2018, 02:17 PM

I realize highlight reels are just that. But Kostas is amazing with the number of ways he could catch and attack. Even though he is still the player we saw all year that did improve substantially, mainly be staying in the game by fewer fouls, there are a number of teams out there who could do a lot worse with a non-guaranteed 2nd round pick for him.

What it comes down to is where is the best place to mature and improve, and still mix in some game minutes? It will be interesting to follow his progress.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (05-21-2018), steve (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
pre work out write up
https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2018...icial-session/
Until I read this in the article:

“He’s still incredibly raw and doesn’t even hit 200 pounds on the scale. Jonathan Givony of ESPN noted that Antetokounmpo is “testing the waters” in the process, though he’s said he intends to go pro and was among 69 players invited to the draft combine. It’s possible if teams give him feedback to that effect that he returns to Dayton again.

I hadn’t thought that coming back to UD was part of anybody’s calculus.

This is interesting to say the least.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post

Nothing more than musings of a clueless writer. Kostas left in the middle of the semester - to the chagrin of Grant. Forgetaboutit.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-11-2018), rollo (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
If he returned to UD he likely would be ineligible to play. Didn't he drop out of school right after last season?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sid Louick For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-11-2018), rollo (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:26 PM
General

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Until I read this in the article:

“He’s still incredibly raw and doesn’t even hit 200 pounds on the scale. Jonathan Givony of ESPN noted that Antetokounmpo is “testing the waters” in the process, though he’s said he intends to go pro and was among 69 players invited to the draft combine. It’s possible if teams give him feedback to that effect that he returns to Dayton again.

This is interesting to say the least.
I think that is a mistake by the author
Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Major

I think that is a mistake by the author
Exactly. The people running those sites will do some homework on the basketball ability. They're not going to research the academic standing of each kid. They don't care nor do the readers. Just a generality based upon an option available to kids in the process.

NBA fans could not care less about the academic matriculation of the players on their team. The mention of the school is just free advertising whether it is on website or other medium.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
I'm rooting that Kostas will strike it big, but has there ever been an example of a 20 year old who only played a handful of games at a D-1 skill level then go on to become an NBA solid contributor?

Wouldn't someone with an NBA future by now show some signs of serious dominance? Will Kostas ever achieve an NBA body? He spent 2 years at UD's conditioning program and still weighs well under 200 pounds.

I wish him the best but am not as optimistic as others might be.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
I'm rooting that Kostas will strike it big, but has there ever been an example of a 20 year old who only played a handful of games at a D-1 skill level then go on to become an NBA solid contributor?
Freshman 1-and-dones who came off the bench at UK and Duke have done well but they aren't in the same category as our beloved Kostas so I'll twist your question around and answer it this way:

Plenty of 20+ year olds who played a boatload of games at the D1 skill level and scored well over 1000 pts have flopped in the NBA. Tyler Hansbrough was the ACC's leading scorer and couldn't hold a job outside of his original contract...he's one obvious example. There are plenty of others. Just check the G-League rosters for more examples of studs who can't make it big.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Ask Ricky Ledo, former McDonald's AA, how it worked out for him. Non-qualifer as a frosh at Providence and then declared before his soph year having never played a game of college basketball. Got drafted late in 2nd round and played a total of 28 NBA games in his career. He has continued to bounce around in the G League and different international leagues since.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:47 PM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Ask Ricky Ledo, former McDonald's AA, how it worked out for him. Non-qualifer as a frosh at Providence and then declared before his soph year having never played a game of college basketball. Got drafted late in 2nd round and played a total of 28 NBA games in his career. He has continued to bounce around in the G League and different international leagues since.

It's almost like. . . colleges are providing some sort of invaluable service or experience that goes even beyond the value of the scholarship. . . is this real, or am I dreaming?

Nah, IT'S MODERN SLAVERY. Pay the players. They're all victims.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-12-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Major General

Wouldn't someone with an NBA future by now show some signs of serious dominance? Will Kostas ever achieve an NBA body? He spent 2 years at UD's conditioning program and still weighs well under 200 pounds.

I wish him the best but am not as optimistic as others might be.
Yes. There's been kids who bypassed college altogether prior to the current rule who were solid contributors. Kyrie Irving only played around 8 games as an 18 year old.

If you go back at look at Giannis as an 18-19 year old he looked identical to Kostas in body. Even dribbled up to his waste and got balls stolen. Where it matters right now for Kostas is what he's going to do going forward with his body, skill-set, commitment. That may be very hard for him with him possibly able to ride the coat-tails of his brother's 100 mm contract.

Teams will work 24/7 with this kid....Get him on a real high-protein diet and carb him up...
Old 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Professional sports teams are not in the business of doing people favors. It's one of the few professions where you have to earn your spot every day and where diversity and other PC BS isn't a factor for employment.
Flyer 86 (06-23-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 AM
General

@RobDauster
Follow Follow @RobDauster
More
Last year there was just a single college player drafted that didn't get:

A) A guaranteed contract
B) A two-way contract and an NBA call-up
C) A lucrative overseas deal

The idea you need to be a 1st rounder to get good money or play in the NBA is untrue.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-14-2018), MNFats (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Colonel

It's behind a paywall, but ESPN has Kostas as their #75 prospect. Ahead of some names you may recognize (Allonzo Trier, Udoka Azubuike, Bonzie Colson, and Isaac Haas).

Still not counting on him getting drafted, but with 60 selections, #75 getting drafted isn't as crazy as it sounded a month ago.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-14-2018), FLYER5 (05-14-2018), Justin (05-14-2018), OSU Flyer (05-14-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM
Colonel

It's behind a paywall, but ESPN has Kostas as their #75 prospect. Ahead of some names you may recognize (Allonzo Trier, Udoka Azubuike, Bonzie Colson, and Isaac Haas).

Still not counting on him getting drafted, but with 60 selections, #75 getting drafted isn't as crazy as it sounded a month ago.
ESPN has update their top 100. Kostas has moved from #75 up to #62.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Colonel

ESPN released a new mock today (also behind a paywall). They have Kostas going #56 to the 76ers.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-14-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-14-2018), ud2 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Colonel

ESPN released a new mock today (also behind a paywall). They have Kostas going #56 to the 76ers.
ESPN's new mock from last night has him going #57 to the Thunder.
rollo (05-31-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 PM
Colonel

ESPN's new mock from last night has him going #57 to the Thunder.
ESPN updated again today. They moved Kostas to #59 to the Suns. Still projected to get drafted....barely.

I'm excited to watch and see how it plays out. Should be fun. I'm also weird like that.
Justin (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM
General of the Air Force

ESPN updated again today. They moved Kostas to #59 to the Suns. Still projected to get drafted....barely.

I'm excited to watch and see how it plays out. Should be fun. I'm also weird like that.
We're all a little weird, one way or another.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be willing to bet a 16 ounce Old Milwaukee that kostas gets drafted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Widget For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I will raise you .... 1 Rolling Rock! Lol
Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Here's the question every NBA GM needs to ask themselves about Kostas:

Is he raw, talented and in need of time in order to be NBA ready?

Is he just the brother of an NBA stud?

Personally, I think he's a royal headcase and wouldn't waste a roster spot on my G-League team for someone who appears unmotivated and entitled. But the G-League needs bodies, too. Which begs the question as to whether Kostas would rather have his weaknesses exposed in the NBA minor league or in Europe.

Time will tell.
BeckysTXA (05-15-2018), FLYER5 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Players invited to the NBA Combine

Arizona G Rawle Alkins
Duke G Grayson Allen
Dayton F Kostas Antetokounmpo
Kansas C Udoka Azubuike
Duke F Marvin Bagley III
Texas F Mohamed Bamba
Arkansas G Jaylen Barford
Ohio State F Keita Bates-Diop
Syracuse G Tyus Battle
South Carolina F Brian Bowen II
Villanova G/F Mikal Bridges
Michigan State F Miles Bridges
Miami G Bruce Brown Jr.
Oregon F Troy Brown Jr.
Villanova G Jalen Brunson
Penn State G Tony Carr
West Virginia G Jevon Carter
Duke F Wendell Carter
Kentucky G Hamidou Diallo
Villanova G Donte DiVincenzo
Duke G Trevon Duval
Cincinnati G Jacob Evans
Maryland F Bruno Fernando
Tulane G Melvin Frazier Jr.
Kentucky G Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Kansas G Devonte Graham
Virginia G Devon Hall
UCLA G Jaylen Hands
UT Arlington F Kevin Hervey
UCLA G Aaron Holiday
Maryland G Kevin Huerter
Boise State F Chandler Hutchison
Michigan State F Jaren Jackson Jr.
Maryland F Justin Jackson
Missouri State F Alize Johnson
Colorado G George King
Kentucky F Kevin Knox
West Virginia F Sagaba Konate
Nevada F Caleb Martin
Nevada F Cody Martin
Georgia F Yante Maten
UNLV F Brandon McCoy
USC G De'Anthony Melton
USC F Chimezie Metu
SMU G Shake Milton
Kansas F Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Kansas G Malik Newman
Georgia Tech G Josh Okogie
Missouri F Jontay Porter
Missouri F Michael Porter Jr.
Igokea (Bosnia) F Billy Preston
Boston College G Jerome Robinson
Chalmette HS C Mitchell Robinson
Alabama G Collin Sexton
Wichita State G Landry Shamet
IMG Academy G Anfernee Simons
Texas Tech G Zhaire Smith
Villanova F Omari Spellman
Creighton G Khyri Thomas
Duke G Gary Trent Jr.
Arizona G Allonzo Trier
Kentucky F Jarred Vanderbilt
Michigan F Moritz Wagner
Miami G Lonnie Walker
Kentucky F PJ Washington
Auburn C Austin Wiley
UCLA G Kris Wilkes
TCU G Kenrich Williams
Oklahoma G Trae Young

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ayers-to-watch
FLYER5 (05-16-2018), Gazoo (05-17-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Widget For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (06-22-2018), superfan99 (06-22-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Major

Teams clearly have taken flyers on European stash players that were years away from the NBA. But they didn't take a cap hit. Basically, they bet on a longshot that they would likely never have to pay but had upside rather than draft a player that may have been ready to be the 12th man but who's ceiling was viewed as not much more.

The question I have is does anyone know the cap implications of G-League stash and 2-way contracts?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 PM
General

two way players don't count against the cap last I heard
Old 05-15-2018, 03:26 PM

So your telling me the likes of Brian Roberts, Chris Wright, Chris Johnson, Sibert, Scoochie and Cooke never got drafted and a guy who barely saw the floor is going to?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM
General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
So your telling me the likes of Brian Roberts, Chris Wright, Chris Johnson, Sibert, Scoochie and Cooke never got drafted and a guy who barely saw the floor is going to?
Better chance, yes. Kostas is all about potential (I have no idea what he does in future). He was the only guy in the entire Atlantic 10 conference to be invited to the combine
Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Colonel

If my memory serves me right, Only B-Rob got a combine invite from that list. So we can say all we want that the other guys were better players, Kostas got a combine invite and they didn't. That is an indication that the NBA believes he is a more draftable player than the players on your list.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:09 PM

2nd Round mock drafts...

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/mock-draft/2018/round2/ No Kostas.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2018-2nd-round.html #60...Mr. Insignificant?!

http://www.mynbadraft.com/2018-draft...draft-round-2/ No Kostas.

https://www.draftsite.com/mydraftsit...ck-draft/2018/ No Kostas

My Royal prediction: Undrafted and headed to Europe. Why? He's talented but too raw and not hungry enough to put in the time/effort necessary to maximize his potential.
BeckysTXA (05-17-2018), UD62 (05-16-2018), wes (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
2nd Round mock drafts...

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/mock-draft/2018/round2/ No Kostas.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/2018-draft...draft-round-2/ No Kostas.

My Royal prediction: Undrafted and headed to Europe. Why? He's talented but too raw and not hungry enough to put in the time/effort necessary to maximize his potential.

The latest ESPN mock draft (updated after the lottery drawing last night) still has Kostas at 56 to the 76ers. This is behind a paywall.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/stor...-young-lottery
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:33 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
A bunch of people on here have been dogging Kostas about how he has no chance at all to get drafted. The ESPN and nbadraftroom.com mocks have proven all of those people to be wrong.

He might not get drafted, but there is at least a possible, quantifiable chance that he does get drafted, according to some draft experts.

And most/all of those people that are dogging him are just p*ssed that he left after only 1 year. It's just sour grapes.

Last edited by ud2; 05-16-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:46 PM
General of the Air Force

A bunch of people on here have been dogging Kostas about how he has no chance at all to get drafted. The ESPN and nbadraftroom.com mocks have proven all of those people to be wrong.

He might not get drafted, but there is at least a possible, quantifiable chance that he does get drafted, according to some draft experts.

And most/all of those people that are dogging him are just p*ssed that he left after only 1 year. It's just sour grapes.
I’ve said it before - I’m not a hater. Just indifferent. That said, at least wait for the combine to be completed before making any predictions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by CE80; 05-16-2018 at 06:07 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (05-16-2018), Radar (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

Neither those dogging him nor ESPN and nbadraftroom.com have proven a thing. Unless the draft has occurred and the results are in.

You might want to wait and play MMQB before declaring victory on behalf of ESPN et al.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM

I for one will always be thrilled the day any Flyer in any sport gets drafted into professional sports. However, I want it to be for how the player represented UD during their time as a student-athlete. Thus Kostas falls short. I’m sure he’s a likeable young man. But he also showed an embarrassing amount of immaturity during his time on the court at UD. And, apparently even more immaturity in his effort to attend class and do what’s required to maintain the PRIVLEDGE of being a Flyer. So I have two comments.

1. How many of these authors of pre-draft articles have ever seen Kostas play or looked into anything he did at UD or called up CAG and asked about his talents?

2. How many of you will be proud of the PR for UD if Kostas continues his embarrassing antics on the court as a pro player every time he fouls and gets called for it? For this reason alone I hope he starts in Europe.

I strongly believe college students have the right to fail. For me the title of “student” is all about figuring life out including the hard lesson of failing. I hope the two years Kostas spent at UD has taught him some life lessons. Unfortunately his ACTIONS, including those that resulted in him leaving UD (academic requirements) makes it hard for me to buy into he will be a good embassador for UD. I hope he proves me wrong for the benefit of all parties.

It’s a shame Kostas didn’t stay at UD one more year. I believe it would have made a world of difference for him as a young man 1) preparing to face what the world will throw at him. 2) as a basketball player preparing for a pro career. 3) As an embassador for UD. 4) solidifying true life-Long friendships with his UD teammates. And finally 5) It would have helped UDs program. And yes, the programs benefit is really fifth on my list.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:23 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If my memory serves me right, Only B-Rob got a combine invite from that list. So we can say all we want that the other guys were better players, Kostas got a combine invite and they didn't. That is an indication that the NBA believes he is a more draftable player than the players on your list.
Not so, if his name wasn't Kostas would he even got a sniff, doubt it.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
wes (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Might be true. We can debate the reasons all we want, but the invite to the combine means the NBA sees him as a more draftable player than the guys not invited. That was my point.

Is it because of his last name? It's part of it. If he had the same name, but was 6'3" he would not have been invited. There are a combination of factors (none of which being college production) that lead him to be our most draftable player in a decade.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:10 PM

I dunno Avid. If his name was LaBron Antetokounmpo with the same assets, there would be some interest as well.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM
Brigadier General

Agreed, but it ain't the first name getting the attention. If his name is Kostas Jones the NBA wouldn't even know of him.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 AM
General

Is it because of his last name? It's part of it.
Hank Aaron and I combined to hit over 750 major league home runs. He had more, but I was part of it.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Major General

Old 05-15-2018, 03:33 PM

So 69 combine participants. 60 players get drafted minus about 15-20 foreign players. So about 25 guys from the combine will not.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM

Ok class, let's review what the NBA seeks. And we might as well review the article below:

http://www.stack.com/a/meet-kostas-a...unger-brothers

This is the kind of potential and physical projection that lights up scouts, coaches, fans, and GM's. The only question is whether some team, above all others, that would like him in the second round is willing to gamble that Kostas will be willing to join that team if he is NOT drafted.

------------------------------------------

Giannis is continually encouraging Kostas to play position-less basketball to take full advantage of his dynamic skill set. "He goes and passes it to the point guard. I'm, like, Kostas, 'Why are you passing? Take it yourself!' But he's, like, 'I'm the 3 man.' I'm, like, 'Kostas, in basketball right now, there is no such thing as a position; it's all about your skill set. If you can bring the ball down, bring the ball down; it's simple. But you've got to take care of the ball.'," Giannis told NBPA.com.

It's impossible not to see shades of Giannis when watching Kostas's highlight tape.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-16-2018), Justin (05-15-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-15-2018), ud2 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute

Giannis is continually encouraging Kostas to play position-less basketball to take full advantage of his dynamic skill set. "He goes and passes it to the point guard. I'm, like, Kostas, 'Why are you passing? Take it yourself!' But he's, like, 'I'm the 3 man.' I'm, like, 'Kostas, in basketball right now, there is no such thing as a position; it's all about your skill set. If you can bring the ball down, bring the ball down; it's simple. But you've got to take care of the ball.'," Giannis told NBPA.com.

It's impossible not to see shades of Giannis when watching Kostas's highlight tape.
That kind of whispering in Kostas' ear tells me a lot about the dynamics of UD's team last year. AG was trying to win games. Kostas was trying to please his brother. While they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, I'm guessing AG remained frustrated with Kostas as the season progressed. I'd bet that Old Milwaukee offered earlier that XW was hearing whispers as well about how he should play. It is still a team sport...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-16-2018), Gazoo (05-17-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I feel XW came into the season feeling he was gonna be the man. AM was high on him. New coach and staff and everyone was starting over. Mist likely X wasn't feeling the love AM was giving him and he faded instead of stepping up his game.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I feel XW came into the season feeling he was gonna be the man. AM was high on him. New coach and staff and everyone was starting over. Mist likely X wasn't feeling the love AM was giving him and he faded instead of stepping up his game.
And with new coach/starting over...Trey Landers said: "thank you very much!"

And to THirt's point: No doubt there is the potential for some nice PR should Kostas succeed. I, on the other hand, will never consider him an ambassador for our program and doubt he will accept that role anyway. He had no interest post-Archie and carried himself as such most of his brief time here.

Last edited by Radar; 05-16-2018 at 07:59 AM..
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
That kind of whispering in Kostas' ear tells me a lot about the dynamics of UD's team last year. AG was trying to win games. Kostas was trying to please his brother. While they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, I'm guessing AG remained frustrated with Kostas as the season progressed. I'd bet that Old Milwaukee offered earlier that XW was hearing whispers as well about how he should play. It is still a team sport...
Think your correct with the above. But rarely do the planets line up like they did for Kostas. He has a brother who is only 3 years older than Kostas who sees himself in Kostas body 3 years prior, and now as an NBA all star. Kostas could not care less about college except that it was a stepping stone to get to where Giannis is. Dayton would have only had him for 2 years max, even if he could have kept from being a fouling machine as it was. Possibly if he could have stayed in the game he would have developed more. He will be right at home on a pro team of some sort with nothing more to study than a playbook.