Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
A Long Five Weeks
A Long Five Weeks
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
09-30-2010
A Long Five Weeks

DAYTON (OH) -- The volleyball team has been on the road four straight weeks. Jessica had said more than a week ago that she was tired of living out of a hotel room and I would expect that the rest of the team and coaches feel the same way. Becky Novacek told me "It hasn't hit me yet that we aren't going on the road again, but I would feel differently if you asked me tomorrow". They have practiced at home on Wednesdays during this four weeks of travel and left town on Thursday. Megan Campbell said "they would really feel the difference when attending Friday classes for the first time in five weeks".

Traveling takes it's toll on the court and off the court. The players are responsible for discussing classroom assignments with each of their professors. In most cases they are responsible for completing scheduled exams and assignments before traveling although there are exceptions.

During the past four weeks the players have been lifting weights Monday and Wednesay. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday they have been practicing although more film time was put into monday. During these three days they have also been completing five days of classroom assignments before getting on the bus Thursday or Friday.

But, do you think this team would kick back and relax for a couple of days? On Wednesday a hard practice had ended ten minutes earlier. But there was Becky hitting some extra balls with Jessica. Rachael B, Amanda and Paige were returning some extra serves.

No matter what happens with this team nobody can ever question how hard they work. Hard work and setting the bar high rubs off on new players too so I would expect more great things in the future. Coach Sheffield and his staff have a good thing going.

A Successful Four Weeks

During this four weeks of travel UD won the Notre Dame Invitational and beat St Louis in the opening A10 match of the season. They beat UNI (Northern Iowa) and Baylor which should prove to be big wins when NCAA seeding is determined.

There were some bumps in the road as the Flyers lost to Minnesota, Nebraska and Illinois which all have top 10 talent. But, the bottom line is that the team improved each time they played one of those top 10 teams. Megan Campbell said "It was important for us to play them to find out where we need to improve". The previous losses really don't matter because the goal is to be playing at a very high level in December during the NCAA tournament.

Congrats To Coach Sheffield and Cathy

It is pretty much old news at this point but Kelly is a dad for the first time. It shouldn't affect his coaching since he told me he doesn't sleep during the season.

Free Volleyball Clinic Saturday at Noon

The players and coaches will be on hand at the Frerick's Center for a FREE one hour volleyball lesson. This is free for anyone 3-13. I would recommend being there ten minutes early.

Chalk Talk on Saturday

If anyone is interested in seeing how a great coach prepares his team for a college volleyball match you have your chance on Saturday. Meghan Winner said after Coach Sheffield had been hired that he was like a "volleyball engineer". I would expect most attendees to learn something about volleyball. The chalk talk will be in the Frericks Center room #201-B. Doors open at 4:45 with food and drinks, the event will begin at 5:15. RSVP to Val Arias at (937) 229-4568 or varias1@notes.udayton.edu if you are interested. Hope to See You There.

I hope everyone can attend this weekend and show how much their hard work is appreciated.

Weekly Awards

The volleyball team continues to rack up awards.

Amanda Cowdrey was named A10 defensive player of the week after notching 48 digs and 27 of those were all needed against St Louis.

Lindsay Fletemier was named offensive player of the week for the 2nd straight time. Lindsay had twelve kills and hit .545 against St Louis, and then had 10 kills while hitting .375 against Duquesne.
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools