UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Errors

I wanted to go back and look at some things in the Cincy match before I commented on it but I couldn’t get to it before Sat. We won the stat battle in this match at a level you usually win the match. The teams were even in service errors and blocking. We were actually ahead in the service errors stat going into the 5th set, but then committed 3 and you can’t do that in a 5 th set. So that contributed when it counted most.

They won the Aces stat 11-4, and 11 is a big number. Of that 11, 5 were balls that hit the tape. If a team has one of those in a match, it’s usually one, maybe two. It’s not 4-5. It’s a lucky contributing factor. And they were a good serving team. Thompson is tall AND has extra long arms. She can get up on top of her serves at contact and it appeared she put side spin on them so they could cross the net right-center and then spin hard right to skim the right sideline, spinning out of bounds at a low angle. Her Aces per set stat before this match were solid, but exceptional. So looking at stats they didn’t stand out. But the team knew this was coming because they moved Margo to the back right side to receive her serve. She is usually on the left.

Cincy also won hitting percentage, but the numbers here are typical of two good teams going at it in a competitive match. Most national championship matches get these lower hitting percentages between the teams. Evenly matched with talent on both sides, going after each other.

We won kills, assists, digs and points. Points were 84.5 vs 83. The others we won by more than 10% better and you usually win a match when you have more kills and digs by that margin.

So this match came down to errors as I “feel” our 3/5 set losses and our VCU loss have without looking at the “error run” details. I looked at this for Cincy and here’s what I found.

Set 1: UD was up 14-12. Over the next 10 points played we give commit 6 errors and never recover. We are behind 15-21 and Cincy wins 22-25.

Set 2: We start the match 2-8 ( first 10 points played) committing 5 errors (so we give Cincy 5 of their 8 points.) We did something similar in the G Mason match earlier in the year, but we had more talent and won the match. We did not however win that set against GM. We were basically playing in a daze this set. TH called a TO after we committed 3 errors in a row and went down 12-20. It was a pretty animated TO for Tim. He didn’t even let the team sit down. That TO plus whatever he said to them at half time, which I’m guessing was more of the same, kept us in this match.

Set 3: we never had a 10 pt error melt down in the 3rd set. We were up 12-11 and over the next 6 pats we committed 4 errors to go down 14-15. There were 25 points played the rest of the way and we only committed 4 errors during the last 25 points and won 28-26 including fighting off 2 match points by Cincy. Plus we were out of subs so we ended the match with Olivia serving and our front row of Left OH Jordan, MB Allie and setter Bridget. None of those three players have played those spots this year.

Set 4: We had another 10 pt error melt down. UD was up 11-9. Over the next 10 points we commit 6 errors and are down 14-16. UD wins the set 25-22. So how did we do it? Cincy gets a kill on the next point to go up 14-17. Then UD strings together 4 straight points on 3 kills and an ace to go back up 18-17. There are 12 points left in the set and we only commit 1 error the rest of the way.

Set 5: 27 total points were played in the 5th. Dayton commuted 4 errors - 3 were service errors. 4 errors in 27 points isn’t that bad, but in a 5th set every error is critical when you play to 15. You don’t have time to recover and momentum is so much more impactful. And our 4 errors came at critical times. We went up 2-1. Then we committed 2 errors. Now we are down 2-3. They didn’t score to take the lead...we gave it to them. We never got it back. We tied it twice. Once at 7-7. Next play we commit an error and give the the lead back. We tied it again 8-8. Next play we commit an error and give the lead back to them 8-9. We never had it tied again. The go up 11-13 and feed the last 4 balls/points to Thompson who was swinging from the left side. She scores on 3 of the 4 swings and Cincy wins 12-15.

What does all this mean... we are 2-3 in 5 set matches against Top 50 teams this year. How do we improve that? We clean up our errors. We clean up our side of the net. This is a small sample, but when we commit 50%+ errors in a 10 point run it takes a 4 point offensive run immediately to overcome it. You can’t bank on that against any team let allow top 50 teams. We have to get better at containing and managing these “ error runs”. Every team makes errors. You are going to have errors. The ball hits the tape and gets a lucky drop. I would think a good goal would be to keep errors to 3 or less in any 10 point rolling segment of a match. We have plenty of talent to score. We scored more points that Cincy. We just gave away too many points to win the match. And giving them away in any 10 point rolling segment of a set swings the momentum to your opponent.

I’ve watched a lot of different sports all my life. Momentum is important in all of them. But it’s my opinion momentum in volleyball is even bigger. It’s because your opponent scores every time you make a mistake. You turn the ball over in football or basketball the other team still has to make a play to score.

We stop giving away 4-5+ points in any 10 point segment of a match and I think we start knocking people off. There is plenty of time to fix this, starting next Friday against VCU. We have talent to win at an elite level.
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2018, 01:15 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Good recap. I felt and saw the same thing. I also noticed that every time UC called a timeout, they seemed to go on a run after every stoppage. We did not respond well coming out of timeouts. When the UC coaching staff saw or felt something they didnt like, coached it in the huddle, and put the team back out on the court, they seemed to respond to it and we had trouble keeping whatever momentum we had going that forced the UC timeout to begin with.

We need to be cleaner and stop giving these freebie points away. I realize the opponent helps force some difficult receives etc, but even with those taken into consideration we botch too many routine receives, sets, and kills that cost us points. I think some of it is youth and inexperience. As you said, you take these 3-4 point swings a set and turn them around, and we probably have another 2-3 wins under our belt -- perhaps UC, Kansas, and Washington. Were that the case, we're nationally ranked right now.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 10-24-2018, 10:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Browsing the A10 site for A10 stats, I noticed we lead the league in hitting but are second to worst in the league in aces per set and are on the heels of Fordham for finishing last in this category.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".