Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
I think it’s funny I said it last week....

Last week I said cut ties with X, Svoboda, Crosby, Pierce, and everyone said OH MY GOD WE CANT DO THAT, no player would ever want to come to UD, and then boom after that absolute debacle with our bench again, all the talk now is GET RID OF THEM GUYS AND GET GUYS IN HERE WHO WANT TO PLAY, just amusing I said it last week
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-12-2018), jack72 (02-11-2018)
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
Last week I said cut ties with X, Svoboda, Crosby, Pierce, and everyone said OH MY GOD WE CANT DO THAT, no player would ever want to come to UD, and then boom after that absolute debacle with our bench again, all the talk now is GET RID OF THEM GUYS AND GET GUYS IN HERE WHO WANT TO PLAY, just amusing I said it last week
Posted via Mobile Device
Just for the record; I didn't say that. I like Svoboda and hope he's here next year.

I hope the rest of the guys you mention understand what they have now and how easily they could be replaced. I have no problem with a scholarship being not renewed if the lack of playing time isn't injury related.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree on Svoboda longtime. Maybe not the most skilled but appears to be a hard worker. The others and maybe Kostas are expendable. No excuse for lack of effort and interest. Don't know if any, or all, will be gone, but it won't set the program back, and in fact will improve it with new faces, recruited by AG. At the minimum I believe X and Pierce should be afforded the opportunity to look for greener pastures. X being a senior next year may not happen but Pierce should be a sure thing.

Last edited by UD62; 02-11-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
I am willing to give Svoboda another year- as quick as he lost his shot perhaps he can find it. And he’s into the program.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I just thought it was very interesting that "some one" finally acknowledged that the talent of the players might be a contributing factor to the record this year.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-12-2018), MNFats (02-11-2018), UD62 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I'm still of the mindset that you don't "get rid of players". I'm all for being honest with them about their future with the team and letting them make their own decision. Sending them packing is a great way to scare off recruits.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
runnerup (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 05:11 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
I'm still of the mindset that you don't "get rid of players". I'm all for being honest with them about their future with the team and letting them make their own decision. Sending them packing is a great way to scare off recruits.
agreeable people can reach a mutually beneficial decision for all parties involved
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I would never run a kid off for not performing, so long as he is doing everything you ask. Working hard in practice, staying up with school work, being a good teammate, etc. I would be honest with a kid though, if he asked how much PT he was going to get and he decided to leave on his own. I don't consider that running someone off.

If someone however, is not working hard, has attitude issues, etc., and hasn't responded to continued mentoring, then I have no problems if we go our separate ways.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe AG will run anybody off. May tell it like it is and leave any decisions up to the player. Pierce may be the closest to having the scholly pulled. Would be a positive though if 2-3 decided to seek greener pastures.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Hysterical u don’t want them on the team, you don’t wanna play them, but u don’t wanna get rid of them, so let’s have them all on the bench for the next 1-3 years and just play the starters 40 mins
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
I would never run a kid off for not performing, so long as he is doing everything you ask. Working hard in practice, staying up with school work, being a good teammate, etc. I would be honest with a kid though, if he asked how much PT he was going to get and he decided to leave on his own. I don't consider that running someone off.

If someone however, is not working hard, has attitude issues, etc., and hasn't responded to continued mentoring, then I have no problems if we go our separate ways.
This.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Hysterical u don’t want them on the team, you don’t wanna play them, but u don’t wanna get rid of them, so let’s have them all on the bench for the next 1-3 years and just play the starters 40 mins
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe I am misremembering but I recall that back in my UD days (76-80), there were a number of scholarship players that came in and never saw significant minutes of playing time all 4 years. Does anyone else think that was the case back in the day. I know times have changed and that was pre shot clock.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:39 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Maybe I am misremembering but I recall that back in my UD days (76-80), there were a number of scholarship players that came in and never saw significant minutes of playing time all 4 years. Does anyone else think that was the case back in the day. I know times have changed and that was pre shot clock.
Probably, I remember it in the early 70s. I think there was a huge gap in talent back then between the best players Donoher could recruit vs the rest. I really don't thing that gap is nearly as big this year. There's things going on behind the scenes that we just don't know about and that really has turned this into a lousy season.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
1. This assumes players have zero potential to grow. This is false. Even Crosby has potential. It may be limited, but he has potential.
2. We will have two new players next year in Toppin and Cohill. I expect both will be an upgrade over current bench.
3. Mikesell returns and he is a great role player who will bring minutes off the bench
4. In order to have starters play 40 minutes three years from now, then AG must only be bringing in crap players, because Crosby and XW will be gone in one.

Given that there are 13 scholarship players, you must believe that we will have 8 bench players who are not now, and will not be able to contribute in the future. You are no UD fan. I honestly don't know what you are, but no one who is a fan of a team acts like this.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Colonel

When I said starters play 40 mins I was just using round figures, I understand we will have new players on the bench next year, what kind of fan am I ? Well let’s see I have had season tickets for almost 20 years, I have attended 2 away games this year, I’ve been to the a-10 tournament probably 15 out of the last 20 years, what kind of fan are you ? You live in Texas and watch them on tv 15 times a year ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Colonel

MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
When I said starters play 40 mins I was just using round figures, I understand we will have new players on the bench next year, what kind of fan am I ? Well let’s see I have had season tickets for almost 20 years, I have attended 2 away games this year, I’ve been to the a-10 tournament probably 15 out of the last 20 years, what kind of fan are you ? You live in Texas and watch them on tv 15 times a year ?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are willing to stream online (most of us are) then you can watch every game, from anywhere with the right TV package. Even without streaming, out of town folks will get 22 games. The vast majority of us also attend games in person - so I'm not sure what your point is...

I'm not sure moving to another state makes someone less of a fan. If so -
Scoochie moved halfway around the world. He must not like the Flyers very much...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:20 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
If you are willing to stream online (most of us are) then you can watch every game, from anywhere with the right TV package. Even without streaming, out of town folks will get 22 games. The vast majority of us also attend games in person - so I'm not sure what your point is...

I'm not sure moving to another state makes someone less of a fan. If so -
Scoochie moved halfway around the world. He must not like the Flyers very much...
BS. He had the fan card played on him. Why not attack the attacker instead of the responder.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
BS. He had the fan card played on him. Why not attack the attacker instead of the responder.
I'm just responding to the guy that basically said all out-of-towners aren't fans.

Also - when in doubt - disagree with udscott.
IAFlyer (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:24 PM
General

I'm just responding to the guy that basically said all out-of-towners aren't fans.

Also - when in doubt - disagree with udscott.
Okay, you changed my mood with that last one. LMAO.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Agree on Svoboda longtime. Maybe not the most skilled but appears to be a hard worker.
Just like Clark Griswald's father in law said, "so do washing machines" in terms of working hard. Virtually nothing to show this year so far and a yuge liability on defense. I'd rather roll the dice on a legit 4-man.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Svoboda isn't going anywhere unless he decides to. AG will not run him off. Maybe not the most skilled player but works hard and max effort all the time. Something that is lacking in a number of players this year.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Major General

Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Buster Goode; 02-12-2018 at 12:36 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Just like Clark Griswald's father in law said, "so do washing machines" in terms of working hard. Virtually nothing to show this year so far and a yuge liability on defense. I'd rather roll the dice on a legit 4-man.
Is this post from today talking about Svoboda, a year ago talking about Trey Landers who has now proven the critics wrong, or from Devin Olivers freshman season?

I expect with Svobodas work ethic being as strong as reported, we will be happy with him down the road
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (02-13-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-12-2018), MNFats (02-12-2018), OSU Flyer (02-12-2018), shocka43 (02-13-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
What's most amusing is that you went back to your post(s), to remind everyone about how smart you are. "See, I told you guys so." These types of things are so much more effective and better received when the reminder or 2nd post comes from someone OTHER than YOURSELF.

If you don't have any cohorts willing to do this on your behalf, might I suggest setting up a ghost or trolling account to leverage in these instances.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
Players can stay or go based upon what they think is best for them. As far as transferring, where could XW or Crosby go an be offered a scholarship? Kostas is a project and would be accepted at many schools but if he can't get into games with a break even team ,what kind of teams would take him. Obviously something is going on that we don't know about. I'm guessing that the coach doesn't like their practice or game attitude. In that case, good for the coach.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Is this post from today talking about Svoboda, a year ago talking about Trey Landers who has now proven the critics wrong, or from Devin Olivers freshman season?

I expect with Svobodas work ethic being as strong as reported, we will be happy with him down the road
You make a good point and bring up two great examples of players who evolved greatly at UD. There's a lot of examples of players who went the other way. I just don't see it in Svoboda. Time will tell whether he will go in the direction of Oliver & Landers or Ralph Hill and Brandon Spearman.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
You make a good point and bring up two great examples of players who evolved greatly at UD. There's a lot of examples of players who went the other way. I just don't see it in Svoboda. Time will tell whether he will go in the direction of Oliver & Landers or Ralph Hill and Brandon Spearman.
It's all going to depend on if he can start shooting like he supposedly did overseas. The guy was supposedly a knockdown 3 point shooter and has shot 21% from 3 this season. Something just doesn't seem right about that! He certainly doesn't have any other traits that will help him make up for the lack of shooting.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Svododa's shooting is all in his head right now. He has a nice stroke. Teams are leaving him open and daring him to shoot. If he stays, the shots will go down, but so will the tough defense on him, and then does he have the speed and smarts to get open?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
I don't believe AG will run anybody off. May tell it like it is and leave any decisions up to the player. Pierce may be the closest to having the scholly pulled. Would be a positive though if 2-3 decided to seek greener pastures.
You don't have to run anyone off per se. However, if guys aren't meeting expectations, or just aren't good enough, you don't have to play them. If guys don't play, they generally transfer. It takes care of itself. Grant is playing like 6 guys so...

If it's pretty clear to you and me which guys he thinks are worth investing in, then you better believe it's really clear to the guys on the team.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Some of those guys could pull themselves back from the brink I'd guess
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM
General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
If it was the coach that recruited them, I'd say that's possible, but other wise I doubt it. In this particular case I'm not attacking AG. It's just that there's less of chance for a disconnect between what was being sold and was actually being bought with original recruiting staff. AM had better motivation to be upfront with them because he needed buy-in. AG needed bodies for his first season.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 PM
General

business picking up in recruiting. I think the tea leaves are saying some folks are gone
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
So kids can pick and transfer at will but Grant can't run them off? Seems one sided.

If he doesn't materially upgrade the talent by getting out the dead wood, we won't see the NCAA's until at least 2021 and probably longer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2018, 10:55 PM
General

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
So kids can pick and transfer at will but Grant can't run them off? Seems one sided.

If he doesn't materially upgrade the talent by getting out the dead wood, we won't see the NCAA's until at least 2021 and probably longer
Posted via Mobile Device
Of course it's one sided because of the best interest of both parties. Kid doesn't feel he's getting what he expected and chooses to transfer where there are at least a few coaches willing to sign him. Clean cut and has no long lasting negative effects on anyone other than maybe the kid. Coach runs off player that chose that school he and the school get a bad reputation and his ability to recruit takes a hit.

Welcome to real life. Boss can't fire you just because you're a woman. But you can choose to quit because you don't want to work for a woman. Does that seem one sided to you also? Or do you believe an employee that doesn't want to work for a woman should face a lawsuit over it? Or do you believe an employer should be able to discriminate against you for gender purposes without repercussions?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 AM
Colonel

Posted via Mobile Device
Grant can run them off if he wants. But good luck selling future recruits on the "If you don't turn out to be as good as I think I'm going to send you packing" recruiting pitch. Those players will choose to play somewhere else.
shocka43 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
They are already staying somewhere else. They are at URI, SBU, VCU , and the other 120 or so schools ranked ahead of us. Good players don't have any worries.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I think you’re right, but the question then becomes “Will they?” And we can speculate all we want, but the answers will come from the players (in the form of better practice habits and better performances in games when they get their chances) and the coaching staff (in the form of playing time).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2018, 02:38 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Grant can run them off if he wants. But good luck selling future recruits on the "If you don't turn out to be as good as I think I'm going to send you packing" recruiting pitch. Those players will choose to play somewhere else.
And anyone who thinks "running" players off for anything other than attitude, effort, conduct, disciplinary...doesn't have a clue.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
The "So kids can pick and transfer at will"=coaches can leave and sign contracts with other teams at will. Nothing more. nothing less. Giving away athletic scholarships and kids keeping them has far more do than just how good a kid becomes and/or how much he contributes in games. In fact, that is the LEAST of the prerequisites as far as a kid getting/keeping that scholarship renewed each year.

If he's a good teammate, busting his butt in games, in practice, following team and school rules, taking care of everything academic-wise, etc. he is keeping up his end of the bargain and will keep that ship' for those 4 years. Absolute suicide by the university and BB program just to get rid of kids because they've done everything on their end except improve a whole lot at BB.

Now, if that same kid is consistently injured/hurt and gets bypassed on the depth chart by current and/or new recruits, it's certainly not out of the question that the staff puts their arm around that player and maybe "suggests" to them that finding another school might be better for him IF he still has that burning desire to play and more so if that player already has his degree in hand due to the fact that he may not see the court or see very little...
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (02-14-2018)