2nd Lieutenant

Long Island FLYER is on a distinguished road
Talking DDN on Staten

Nice piece from DDN on Staten:

Staten draws rave reviews, but sticking with UD
By Doug Harris

Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

DAYTON — Juwan Staten hasn't waffled since giving the University of Dayton a verbal commitment in March, but recruiters from other schools keep lurking just in case he does.

"I've had coaches talk to me from the Big Ten, Big East and ACC, but his verbal is definitely solid," said Bill Staten, Juwan's father. "When he made his decision, he knew this would happen. But he basically found the perfect fit in Dayton."

Staten's stock has skyrocketed this summer while pairing with Ohio State-bound Jared Sullinger to lead the All Ohio Red 16-under team to wins in 11 of 12 tournaments it entered, including a second straight AAU national crown in Orlando last week. The squad went 70-1 this season and is 134-3 over the last two years.

Rivals.com named the Thurgood Marshall High School junior-to-be the No. 1 player at the 16-and-under nationals.

John Stovall of PrepSpotlight.com lists the 5-foot-9 Staten among the top 10 point guards in the nation in the 2010 class, and the recruiting analyst said coaches from high-major schools are even asking him about Staten's availability.

"He's been fantastic, and, believe me, I've been one of his harshest critics," Stovall said. "I always thought he was more of a scoring point guard and I questioned his decision-making. But he's been playing a great floor game and still getting 17-to-20 points."

All Ohio Red has several other Division-I recruits, including Jefferson's Adreian Payne, and Staten said he's been tweaking his game to blend with them.

"On my AAU team, I'm on a team full of stars. It's like going to college," he said. "Everybody is a star from their high school team, and you're not called on to score as much as you are in high school. It lets me show more of my game, the creating side."

As for those overtures from marquee programs, Staten said: "It feels good to know you can be at any school in the country when you have all these schools talking to you and sending you letters, but I picked the University of Dayton because that's where I want to be and that's where I feel comfortable."

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2125 or at dharris@DaytonDailyNews.com.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Captain

SCFlyer will become famous soon enoughSCFlyer will become famous soon enough
I love everything about that article.

They certainly seem steadfast in his commitment. I also like when the DDN gives props to kids that sign with us. I was talking with someone close to Adreian Payne and he was saying how, to a high school kid, having an article about you in the paper is about as good as it gets. Everyone in the town is reading about you. That's one huge advantage that we have with them being in town.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Companion column

I think I like the companion column even better.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...taten1web.html

It mentions taking part of the Wright STEPP program for advanced classes in engineering, science, and math as well as attending the NCAA mentoring program

No doubt the kid can play and knows the game, but he would seem to have his act together off the court and in the classroom as well.
BG likes to have a PG who is a coach on the floor. It looks like he's getting a good one in a couple years.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,197 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, guys. Both great articles. Now, if we can get Mr. Payne to sign on the dotted line..........
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Great stuff

As for those overtures from marquee programs, Staten said: "It feels good to know you can be at any school in the country when you have all these schools talking to you and sending you letters, but I picked the University of Dayton because that's where I want to be and that's where I feel comfortable."

I think I'm going to cry. Great talent, great kid.

So nice to see the kid eye to eye with the Huggin's, Patino's, and Calipari's and reject their sorry efforts to steal his integrity.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura about
I was worried when he was quoted as saying that people have been telling him left and right that BG is leaving before he gets there. Sounds like he is really strong on BG and UD right now though. I am now confident that Staten will be a Flyer as long as BG is here.

He sounds like an absolutely great kid as well. Has his head screwed on straight, grades together, and understands the game and team atmosphere. I am just envisioning us with a starting line-up of Staten, Williams, Wright, Searcy, and Benson. Obviously that is a long way away with a lot of question marks, but if it really works out we are going to have one heck of a team.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
2nd Lieutenant

hankj22 will become famous soon enoughhankj22 will become famous soon enough
You forgot Kavanaugh, I understand he is playing great this summer
Old 08-07-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Any maybe Payne - same class as Staten.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by The Fat Tuna View Post
I was worried when he was quoted as saying that people have been telling him left and right that BG is leaving before he gets there. Sounds like he is really strong on BG and UD right now though. I am now confident that Staten will be a Flyer as long as BG is here.

It's called providing an excuse to call. Head coach calls him providing a public service of informing of a rumor that he "just heard."
The truth being he just heard it because he just said it to his assistant coach just before he called.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hankj22 View Post
You forgot Kavanaugh, I understand he is playing great this summer
Was a nice article about him in the neighbors section of the DDN today.
His coach (Jim Staley) is quoted on his play this summer "Matt has just been a monster. I haven't seen him get outplayd by anybody. He's stronger, heavier, just a better player and a better shooter