UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
UD sign/tower at I75 and Edwin C. Moses interchange

The video/lighting portion of the UD sign atop the brick tower at the I75/Edwin C. Moses interchange near the UD baseball field does not work, seems like this has not worked for at least a couple of years now.

IMO, this looks really tacky. You've got millions of cars driving by that sign every year, and that sign and tower might be those people's only knowledge/sight of UD. A broken/inoperable sign does not leave a good impression.

Why can't UD fix the darn sign?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...2d9b424112fe9a

Last edited by ud2; 01-15-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
...and while they are at it they can fix the "end zone" signs in the Arena. They use to post scores (especially conference game scores) on those, now its just dead space and has been for many years.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
and get TOM BLACKBURN COURT on the playing floor.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-03-2016), Justin (01-15-2016), UD Rugby (01-15-2016), ud2 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Bill202 View Post
...and while they are at it they can fix the "end zone" signs in the Arena. They use to post scores (especially conference game scores) on those, now its just dead space and has been for many years.
I always expected them to install ribbon boards there... my guess is that they do not work with the new Daktronics system that was put in place with the corner video boards.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
ChrisR has discussed the Light Brite boards many times...they are outdated and shuttered...
Old 01-15-2016, 05:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
The video/lighting portion of the UD sign atop the brick tower at the I75/Edwin C. Moses interchange near the UD baseball field does not work, seems like this has not worked for at least a couple of years now.

Why can't UD fix the darn sign?

Well I did not like this sign when it went up. Way too small of writing on it for when / if I-75 is ever moving more than 35 mph. At the time I was criticized on this board (do not have time to find the thread but a few were a bit nasty- I remember well) and told that bigger and brighter message would be a disctraction for drivers. I pointed out the few other boards already up around town or in the planning stages. Fast forward a couple years, and even if it did work, very very out dated now. This sign is what, maybe 10% the size of a few others along the highway? But yes, at least fixing it would be a start I guess.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
UD2 you are dead on as the digital board has never worked correctly and is an embarrassment. I hope the U is planning to replace that thing soon.
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Is there someone on this board who has influence and can contact the right people to effect positive change?

If I tried they would identify me as a deadbeat contributor and delete immediately .
Old 01-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
ChrisR has discussed the Light Brite boards many times...they are outdated and shuttered...
So that space is useless until the arena is torn down? Aren't the 2 boards on both sides of the dead space relatively new?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
while we are discussing signs that do not work

About half of the overhead directional signs coming from I-75 telling you which lane to be in for each parking lot have not been working for at least the last couple of games. Sure would have helped the idiot ahead of me tonight that twice about sideswiped a car beside him, confused on where to go.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

NYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really niceNYCFLYER is just really nice
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Well I did not like this sign when it went up. Way too small of writing on it for when / if I-75 is ever moving more than 35 mph. At the time I was criticized on this board (do not have time to find the thread but a few were a bit nasty- I remember well) and told that bigger and brighter message would be a disctraction for drivers. I pointed out the few other boards already up around town or in the planning stages. Fast forward a couple years, and even if it did work, very very out dated now. This sign is what, maybe 10% the size of a few others along the highway? But yes, at least fixing it would be a start I guess.
I agree completely. We have an interstate presence. Make the most of it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NYCFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-15-2016), ud2 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 11:56 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
I thought this thread was about a really tall recruit . . .

Viperstick (02-14-2017)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:34 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
and get TOM BLACKBURN COURT on the playing floor.
Blackburn Court is on the side line by press row.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:14 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Also, the old UD logo is still on the sign, the new logo should be on the sign.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
Blackburn Court is on the side line by press row.
I watched the game on tv tonight, the camera is on the side of the court that Blackburn Court is written on, thus, on tv you never see the words Blackburn Court.

Blackburn Court should be written on the court where it is clearly visible on tv, not on the sideline.

Last edited by ud2; 01-16-2016 at 01:20 AM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I watched the game on tv tonight, the camera is on the side of the court that Blackburn Court is written on, thus, on tv you never see the words Blackburn Court.

Blackburn Court should be written on the court where it is clearly visible on tv, not on the sideline.
Clearly, PNC has contributed more to UD Athletics than Tom Blackburn ever did.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
So that space is useless until the arena is torn down? Aren't the 2 boards on both sides of the dead space relatively new?
Don't know what the plans are...but given that UD invested a bunch of money on the newer corner boards, I would imagine that like any other business, it needs to be part of a well executed budget and within constraints...

We have read articles about Arena upgrades, maybe they were holding off...who knows...but I imagine if you made a sizeable donation they may put Bill202 on them!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
While on that subject, I know the new big screens are real nice, but I seem to get less information that I want from them than I did from the old light brights. Simple stuff like what are the teams shooting from 3 point land? The new boards tell me 60%.... well is that 3 of 5, 6 of 10, etc..... The new screens (or I guess not so new anymore) look like a toy they are playing with. Wowing us with the technology. I'd like to see more rounded info than replays of the last play.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Wish we'd fix Daytonflyers.com. Scroll scores from weeks, sometime months ago on the ticker at bottom. Have ticket stubs displayed on the entry page that are stale.

Also, check out the press guide published on the Wbb archives. Shows on page four, labeled page 71 of what appears to be a media guide -1000 pt scores, Ann Meyers averaging 26.3 for her career. Two pages down she's shown as averaging 21.2. I found other errors. Who does the math?? What a player by the way.

Perhaps the U needs a quality control person for all the little touches a first class organization should fix.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
While on that subject, I know the new big screens are real nice, but I seem to get less information that I want from them than I did from the old light brights. Simple stuff like what are the teams shooting from 3 point land? The new boards tell me 60%.... well is that 3 of 5, 6 of 10, etc..... The new screens (or I guess not so new anymore) look like a toy they are playing with. Wowing us with the technology. I'd like to see more rounded info than replays of the last play.
Gotta remember that they were put there because the NCAA needed them for tournaments...not because UD felt the need to arbitrarily drop the money on them. I agree that the stats aren't convenient...but I would hope as stated above that ribbon boards are part of the Arena upgrades...they all need to be dual purpose...as not just a place for information, but to make that money from advertising...
Old 01-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know what the plans are...but given that UD invested a bunch of money on the newer corner boards, I would imagine that like any other business, it needs to be part of a well executed budget and within constraints...

We have read articles about Arena upgrades, maybe they were holding off...who knows...but I imagine if you made a sizeable donation they may put Bill202 on them!!!
About 2 years ago someone from UD told me that they would like to put "ribbon boards" above the base lines to replace the old boards. The the issue was priorities/money. At that point, they still owed roughly $600k on the corner boards. I would guess that ribbon boards would be considered as part of any upgrade to the arena. I would also love to see one of those banners that covers the bottom of the center scoreboard with a big rendering of Rudy's head . . . That is, if Title IX allows something like that.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
While on that subject, I know the new big screens are real nice...
While the information is nice though perhaps not as informative as before, the biggest issue I have with the screens is that, due to the gigantic low function scoreboard at center court, I cannot see the entire screen diagonal from my seats. I can only see about one half of the screen, so to get a complete picture of what it's showing I have to look at two screens: the one straight across and then one of the two kind of facing me, but angling away. It's pretty annoying.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:24 AM

I imagine that UD Athletics would welcome sizeable donations to carry out the requests to take care of an aging scoreboard and faulty light brite boards. Who's in?
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 08:26 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I imagine that UD Athletics would welcome sizeable donations to carry out the requests to take care of an aging scoreboard and faulty light brite boards. Who's in?
I won't go so far as a $ donation but I will agree to at no charge to add/remove the pegs in the lite brite board as scores change.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Brigadier General

The problem/issue with the center scoreboard is weight. Remember the roof collapsing during construction? Putting HD boards on all four sides would have weighed too much. BUT, technology may save the day. The new OLED screens (1/8 inch thick and extremely light and bendable) may be the answer! We could sell the old corner boards to Zavier for twice what we paid for them and use the money for a new center mega jumbo information score-board-a-tron!

Last edited by N2663R; 01-18-2016 at 12:06 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-20-2016), shocka43 (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TrueTeam will become famous soon enoughTrueTeam will become famous soon enough
Yeah that is annoying. Also, a huge complaint of mine is timeouts left doesn't seem to show anywhere in the arena. Am I just missing it? It's really annoying at the end of games to not know how many each team has.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TrueTeam For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (02-13-2017), flyerfanatic86 (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Major

Fan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TrueTeam View Post
Yeah that is annoying. Also, a huge complaint of mine is timeouts left doesn't seem to show anywhere in the arena. Am I just missing it? It's really annoying at the end of games to not know how many each team has.
The only time they are shown is on the video board during a time out. Even then it is when they are cycling through the stats.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I won't go so far as a $ donation but I will agree to at no charge to add/remove the pegs in the lite brite board as scores change.
They pay you in free beer!!!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
They pay you in free beer!!!
They can pay me with a free Coke Zero. Oh....wait....
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
They can pay me with a free Coke Zero. Oh....wait....
Diet Dew...
Old 08-02-2016, 05:01 PM

I drove by the other day...the sign has 3 light/display panels, only 1 of the 3 is working...the panel that is facing UD Arena works and is displaying the new UD logo, and that panel looks great...however, the panel facing I75 North and the panel facing I75 South are not working, and it just doesn't look good.

I know that this is a small thing, but this sign is very visible IMO when you are traveling on I75 North or I75 South at the Edwin C. Moses interchange, and I think it would be good to have this sign be operational since millions of people on I75 drive by this sign every year.

Last edited by ud2; 08-02-2016 at 05:04 PM..
jack72 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

UncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to beholdUncleFester is a splendid one to behold
I was in on the preliminary detailing of this albatross, and was disappointed in the design at that time. I am hoping the university will punt and come up with a replacement that is at least 2x the diameter and height, to make it a true beacon for the arena and university.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UncleFester For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (08-02-2016), Justin (08-03-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Pictures...older picture showing the old UD logo, the new logo is being used now.

Flyer 86 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
If they update it I would like to see something flashing GAMEDAY when UD men or women are playing. Something similar to the lights on stewart street bridge would be nice, the lights look good on gameday
Old 08-03-2016, 02:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Have a "Bat-signal" come out of the tower on game day with the UD logo. Won't work on a cloudless day.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:15 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
The are some pretty strict restrictions on size and display within the city limits. If you go south on I-75 out of the city, there are several large and fairly new video billboards. My guess is that the restrictions are a bit more lax outside the city of Dayton.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
The are some pretty strict restrictions on size and display within the city limits. If you go south on I-75 out of the city, there are several large and fairly new video billboards. My guess is that the restrictions are a bit more lax outside the city of Dayton.
Check out the video billboard on 35 by Smithville. Very large and within city limits (just like it was when the original debate on this POS UD put up was erected.)

Furthermore, even if the city has regulations, if UD wants a bigger board the city sure as heck better work with UD to find the loop hole, variance, or whatever is needed to accomodate UD. Other than Premier Health, name one company in the Dayton area who has invested anywhere near what UD has invested into driving the local economy over the last 15 years.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I suggest pouring every resource available into keeping Archie happy. Mbball drives the bus that is the Athletic Department. Archie's happy? We get in the Big East and get in on the Fox Sports TV contract, volleyball improves,football improves,tennis improves, tiddlywinks improves........
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyhi524 (08-04-2016), rollo (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Captain

UD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really nice
I think it would be appropriate if it looked like an airport control tower.

Of course, it would also have to display something. And given the number of planes in the area, it could be a bad idea.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
It's all about perception. Be big time all the way. With the sign being nonfictional for this long does not project a big time program. As I said before a 100,000+ vehicles pass the sign a day. What missed opportunities..http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...r-early/nqtpB/
Bat'71 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
I suggest pouring every resource available into keeping Archie happy...
What he said!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Colonel

Now that some ad company has just brought online a huge new digital billboard along I-75 in the city limits just two blocks away from UD's non functioning billboard, I hope UD either put up a larger digital functioning display or just cover the screens with large banners.
ud2 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Now that some ad company has just brought online a huge new digital billboard along I-75 in the city limits just two blocks away from UD's non functioning billboard, I hope UD either put up a larger digital functioning display or just cover the screens with large banners.
Be careful wishing for a larger video display, at least on this message board, or you will be told you are an idiot as a larger video display would be a distraction to people driving by on I-75. Been there, done it, and still remember quite well the choice of words used and by whom.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:14 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
There's a bigger point here.

If the University puts up a electronic sign, it should work, period. To see it sit without use for years (based on what is said in the thread) is inexcusable. It sends a message of disinterest, and a lack of commitment to be a top flight organization. It's a direct reflection of the leadership of the university regarding their image in the community. I seriously doubt it impacts any recruiting, but if you were a recruit and pulled up to the arena, and saw your name on the sign, wouldn't that be cool?

It's no different than a business that will not invest in its equipment or facilities. The point is, is the day the sign was put up, it has to be understood that there's a commitment to maintain it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-13-2017), ud2 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:29 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
There's a bigger point here.

If the University puts up a electronic sign, it should work, period. To see it sit without use for years (based on what is said in the thread) is inexcusable. It sends a message of disinterest, and a lack of commitment to be a top flight organization. It's a direct reflection of the leadership of the university regarding their image in the community. I seriously doubt it impacts any recruiting, but if you were a recruit and pulled up to the arena, and saw your name on the sign, wouldn't that be cool?
You mean like the 2 video boards under the flight deck and suites that haven't worked in years? Those could have easily been fixed or replaced. And unlike what UD would like to make you think, small ribbon boards to replace what they already have up there isn't really expensive compared to some of the other costs that UD's Athletic Department has. Instead, they choose to go with blank screens.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill202 (02-14-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-14-2017), flyerfanatic86 (02-14-2017), Jeff (02-14-2017), shocka43 (02-14-2017), springborofan (02-13-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
You mean like the 2 video boards under the flight deck and suites that haven't worked in years? Those could have easily been fixed or replaced. And unlike what UD would like to make you think, small ribbon boards to replace what they already have up there isn't really expensive compared to some of the other costs that UD's Athletic Department has. Instead, they choose to go with blank screens.
Yup....take care of the small things like this and it rounds out the professional appearance that you want to have. First impressions go a long way and what you see off the highway is the sign...then a beautiful Arena in the background. Go inside...that's the only eyesore in the building.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (02-14-2017), Ready Action (02-14-2017)