UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,428 Times in 829 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Is AG building something special?

So the thumbnail pic below shows the five guys sitting out this season. Imagine that’s your starting five right now. I think you could make the case that those players also would be in the hunt for a top three A-10 finish.

Now think of what we have coming back next year to join those five plus a chiseled 6-10 freshman. It’s hard not to be Kool-Ade drunk on the potential for something truly special next season. So while there may be reasonable debate about Anthony Grant’s in-game coaching, it’s pretty clear to me this guy knows how to build a program.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... it’s all speculation. But not even Debbie Downer could look at the roster we’ll have next year and not be excited for what the future holds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11E06ABA-1607-4716-9296-86E6B20165E1.jpg (29.1 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by The Fly; 02-27-2019 at 04:38 PM..
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (02-27-2019), Fairborn Fan (02-28-2019), Flyer14 (02-28-2019), Flyer69ers (02-28-2019), frisco flyer (02-27-2019), fuz_forward (02-28-2019), jack72 (02-28-2019), MNFats (02-27-2019), rollo (02-28-2019), Sarge (02-28-2019)
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2019, 04:52 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully, I've said many times thru the course of this season that my personal hope was that this team could make the NIT (Hey I'll take an NCAA bid if you give it to me), but that next year is the true litmus test to see if CAG can bring it all together. This sentiment got even stronger when Chase was added to the roster mid season.

Add these 5 to the players currently scheduled to return, and its hard to envision the Flyers as anything but preseason favorites. However, I'll douse the flames a bit just to give pause:

Jordy's size will be nice, but if you look at his stats at Nebraska, they were largely pedestrian. The area I'd would hope he could help the most is as a rim protector, yet his block numbers were nothing to get excited about. poor free throw shooter, shooting % under 45% despite what I will assume is mostly close to the rim shots.

Iba Watson... was a high level recruit out of HS, but he's numbers are even more pedestrian than Jordy's.

Chatman... average shooter, too many turnovers...

Chase... high level recruit, but he's played exactly 45 min of college basketball, there is no proof of anything beyond high school highlight tapes.

Matos... I see a lot of people speak highly of him, but he played in all of 6 games, some of which were vs the likes of Coppin state.

Frosh recruit.... I've tried to find stats, but have seen very little that gives me any insight to how he's doing.

So throw in either questionable stats or unproven stats at their prior stop into a mix of players that are accustomed to playing a lot of minutes the last 2 years, and the combustibility level is very high. Its going to take a master stroke on CAG's part to keep everyone happy and accepting of their role.

Since I'm a glass half full kind of guy, I get excited about the reports I seen on practices from this kids. I think Watson can have a Jordan Siebert type contribution (remember he didn't start right away fwiw) the next 2 years. I hope Jordy is the rim protector down low that will cover the Crutch's defensive short comings. I hope Chase is healthy and able to contribute, that Chatam, Crutch and Davis are accepting of whatever level of minutes they get, but its going to be less than this season for Crutch and Davis, and less than Chatam saw his last year playing. I hope Obi forgoes any professional possibilities, Mikesell and Landers continue to be glue guys and flash in spots, if not star, etc...

I'm hopeful, but I think there are a lot of question marks to be answered when next season's bell rings. Its going to be tough to keep everyone happy next year, even worse the season beyond next. We've seen how bad chemistry and wreck a season, and we've seen how a band of brothers playing and fighting for each other can lift them to heights greater than the sum of their individual talents. I'm hopeful, but not ready to declare anything special until I see some proof.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-27-2019), Jeff (02-27-2019), JoeFlyer (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:56 PM

Thanked 3,160 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I believe Hawaii will be our coming out party next year. The big names won't know what hit them.

I really like Anthony. He has always been a straight up guy and you know what you are getting. Everyone has their detractors, but anyone that still thinks he was the wrong choice just doesn't understand college basketball. We have had some good coaches over the years, but I really believe he has the potential to truly take us to near P5 status.

Miller, for all of his success here, may have not been sustainable. So much of his winning was tied to a single class. Was that a fluke or not? We will never know. I was happy with him while he was here but he is no longer part of UD and those pining for him should just give it up. We were not good enough for what he wanted to do. We now have someone that will not dump us at the prom for the prettier girl.
18 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (02-27-2019), Alberto Strasse (02-28-2019), Donniex3Era (02-27-2019), Fairborn Fan (02-28-2019), Flyer14 (02-28-2019), frisco flyer (02-27-2019), Glen Clark (02-27-2019), JimBo (02-27-2019), JoeFlyer (02-28-2019), Lowd&ProUD (02-27-2019), MikeFlyer (02-28-2019), NYCFLYER (02-27-2019), Radar (02-27-2019), rollo (02-28-2019), SLUFLYER (02-27-2019), The Fly (02-27-2019), UD62 (02-27-2019), Wallage (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,629 Times in 765 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
I believe Hawaii will be our coming out party next year. The big names won't know what hit them.

I really like Anthony. He has always been a straight up guy and you know what you are getting. Everyone has their detractors, but anyone that still thinks he was the wrong choice just doesn't understand college basketball. We have had some good coaches over the years, but I really believe he has the potential to truly take us to near P5 status.

Miller, for all of his success here, may have not been sustainable. So much of his winning was tied to a single class. Was that a fluke or not? We will never know. I was happy with him while he was here but he is no longer part of UD and those pining for him should just give it up. We were not good enough for what he wanted to do. We now have someone that will not dump us at the prom for the prettier girl.
This is well said. I want us to be good enough to compete and make the tourney every year. But if that happens, will we lose our coach again and have to start over? If Grant really likes it at UD AND can be successful, this could be the start of something great.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
I figure Coach Grant recruited these guys because he sees his vision of an uber-successful program in them. Some may take time, others will pan out as exceptional from the first game. Either way, the future indeed looks bright!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
A couple months ago someone on here posted they went to one of his coach's shows. When it was over they were about to leave -- but not before someone put a big paw on their shoulder before they were about to get up out of their chair and take off. When they turned their head to see who it was, it was Anthony. He just want to introduce himself and thank them for coming out and supporting him and the team.

That's a total Donoher move. That's a Brian Gregory move. I'm not sure our last coach would have ever done that.

Fans are fickle. Six weeks ago AG was just the dumb coach that can't win close ones and was a VCU/Bama reject UD had to settle for. Now he's suddenly taking an undermanned team and getting them to peak at the most important time of the year. Those emotional rollercoasters from the peanut gallery will never stop and Im sure the next loss will circle the wagons once again. I said from the beginning to hold off evaluations for 4 seasons. Im sticking to that. But from what Ive seen so far we are on pace or ahead of schedule.

The man was left with almost nothing. Now he's on the verge of something. Lets see if he can take that something and turn it into something more. Evaluate from 30,000ft and not at a macro level after each pass, shot, or rebound.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
26 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (02-27-2019), Alberto Strasse (02-28-2019), Canonball (02-28-2019), ChampCar (02-28-2019), Cityengr (02-27-2019), Clear Prop (02-27-2019), cobra8u (02-27-2019), EliteEight (02-27-2019), Fairborn Fan (02-28-2019), Flyer14 (02-28-2019), fuz_forward (02-28-2019), JimBo (02-27-2019), JoeFlyer (02-28-2019), Larymike (02-28-2019), LIBob (02-27-2019), MikeFlyer (02-28-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (02-28-2019), NJFlyr71 (02-27-2019), NYCFLYER (02-27-2019), Radar (02-27-2019), Rita 1 (02-27-2019), rollo (02-28-2019), Runnin' Rebel (02-27-2019), The Fly (02-27-2019), TXFlyerFan (02-27-2019), Wallage (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
The entire season, I have said that physical presence and depth will ultimately prove our limiting factors. I am very optimistic that we will make large strides in healing those weaknesses with our additions next year.

We will have options to play physical when match-ups dictate. It will make a difference in a few critical games against top level teams, IMO. And we don't have to be sucking wind in the last 10 minutes against VCU.

Both of these factors are most important at tournament time. If you are a finesse team, like I believe that we are this year, you will get roughed up in the conference and NCAA tournaments, when the refs let teams get extremely physical.

Last edited by Fudd; 02-27-2019 at 06:29 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 06:42 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
I've never been one to hype up expectations for any of my teams leading into the next season. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. (I'm looking at you Bengals.)

With that said, I've stated for weeks that I think UD can be a Top 15 team next year.

The one caveat to that is Obi returns.

My biggest fear for next year right now is that 2019-2020 turns into "the year that coulda been if Obi had stayed."

Fear #2 is that we have another "girlfriend" (or similar) situation that turns us into Team Turmoil. That's never good.

If they stay a tight team that enjoys being together and playing together ... next year should be a whole lotta fun!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
<<Jordy's size will be nice, but if you look at his stats at Nebraska, they were largely pedestrian.>>

what? dig deeper, research and look closer at the stats when he was on the court his freshman year, while he averaged only 12 minutes a game...

He made significant strides throughout the freshman season and played his best basketball during conference play, averaging 5.7 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, despite playing more than 20 minutes once in Big Ten play. He led the Huskers in field goals percentage (.481) in conference play and was fourth on the team in rebounding. He scored a career-high 15 points and grabbed 9 rebounds in just 24 minutes in Nebraska's 72-61 loss against Michigan State on February 2, 2017.

didn't he have a double double vs Kansas his freshman year....
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (02-28-2019), jack72 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Brigadier General

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
I've never been one to hype up expectations for any of my teams leading into the next season. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. (I'm looking at you Bengals.)

With that said, I've stated for weeks that I think UD can be a Top 15 team next year.

The one caveat to that is Obi returns.

My biggest fear for next year right now is that 2019-2020 turns into "the year that coulda been if Obi had stayed."

Fear #2 is that we have another "girlfriend" (or similar) situation that turns us into Team Turmoil. That's never good.

If they stay a tight team that enjoys being together and playing together ... next year should be a whole lotta fun!
Lord, we do not ever need a repeat of Fear 2.. that just tore through the team..
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Hopefully, I've said many times thru the course of this season that my personal hope was that this team could make the NIT (Hey I'll take an NCAA bid if you give it to me), but that next year is the true litmus test to see if CAG can bring it all together. This sentiment got even stronger when Chase was added to the roster mid season.

Add these 5 to the players currently scheduled to return, and its hard to envision the Flyers as anything but preseason favorites. However, I'll douse the flames a bit just to give pause:

Jordy's size will be nice, but if you look at his stats at Nebraska, they were largely pedestrian. The area I'd would hope he could help the most is as a rim protector, yet his block numbers were nothing to get excited about. poor free throw shooter, shooting % under 45% despite what I will assume is mostly close to the rim shots.

Iba Watson... was a high level recruit out of HS, but he's numbers are even more pedestrian than Jordy's.

Chase... high level recruit, but he's played exactly 45 min of college basketball, there is no proof of anything beyond high school highlight tapes.

Matos... I see a lot of people speak highly of him, but he played in all of 6 games, some of which were vs the likes of Coppin state.

Frosh recruit.... I've tried to find stats, but have seen very little that gives me any insight to how he's doing.

So throw in either questionable stats or unproven stats at their prior stop into a mix of players that are accustomed to playing a lot of minutes the last 2 years, and the combustibility level is very high. Its going to take a master stroke on CAG's part to keep everyone happy and accepting of their role.

Since I'm a glass half full kind of guy, I get excited about the reports I seen on practices from this kids. I think Watson can have a Jordan Siebert type contribution (remember he didn't start right away fwiw) the next 2 years. I hope Jordy is the rim protector down low that will cover the Crutch's defensive short comings. I hope Chase is healthy and able to contribute, that Chatam, Crutch and Davis are accepting of whatever level of minutes they get, but its going to be less than this season for Crutch and Davis, and less than Chatam saw his last year playing. I hope Obi forgoes any professional possibilities, Mikesell and Landers continue to be glue guys and flash in spots, if not star, etc...

I'm hopeful, but I think there are a lot of question marks to be answered when next season's bell rings. Its going to be tough to keep everyone happy next year, even worse the season beyond next. We've seen how bad chemistry and wreck a season, and we've seen how a band of brothers playing and fighting for each other can lift them to heights greater than the sum of their individual talents. I'm hopeful, but not ready to declare anything special until I see some proof.
You’re pretty far out there when you make me look like a red/blue koolaide drinker
Old 02-27-2019, 07:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
How important is chemistry?

I'm still fully invested in this season ... but I'm as excited about next year as I was for the senior season for Scooch, Kyle, Kendall and Charles. Still, I do wonder about chemistry for next year.

Look at the Boston Celtics last year. They were looked at as overachievers because they made the conference finals without Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward. And Brad Stevens was regarded as a genius.

This year with a full roster, big things were expected. While they're still one of the top teams in the conference, they've never really clicked. So, how will the pieces fit together for the Flyers next year? But you know what? I think having too many talented, healthy bodies is a burden I'm willing to bear.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
We’re a little early here. Let’s see how the recruiting turns out in the next couple of years. Historically about half the transfers work out. To assume these four will be impact players day one is slightly aggressive thinking. The team will be deeper, that should help.

When we are consistently in the top 2-3 of the league and getting in the NCAA tournament, then we can discuss special.

To me, the program needs to sustain success before we can get to special.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Deeper bench does not always translate into increased success. Typically yes, but not necessarily.

With that, you read it here, Dayton Flyers make serious NCAA Tournament run in 2020. Regional Title game or final four. I'm not kidding! I believe it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-28-2019), Wallage (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
If we can get the Sinclair kid, watch out. I still think the missing
ingredient is a sharp-shooter guard. We have the makings of a great
team, but a consistent high scoring, game to game shooter would really put us in top
25 territory for the next few years imho.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (02-28-2019), Radar (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:11 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
"Girlfriend" situation?
Fill me in.
Thx
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
"Girlfriend" situation?
Fill me in.
Thx
Cooke/scoochie issue
Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
Cooke/scoochie issue
When skirts are involved things can go bad real fast
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TommyGola (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
Lord, we do not ever need a repeat of Fear 2.. that just tore through the team..
Yep. Was never the same team after that, for a season and a half through the end of 2016-17.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 03:04 AM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of

To be fair.... Sibert didn't start the first 2 games of his UD career. He did hit a game winning 3 pointer in the season opener against IPFW that season. You make it sound like he had little to no impact out of the gate..

I believe your assessment of the transfers and their potential impact on next seasons team are pessimistic at best. We have already seen AG is ONLY willing to work with players that are all in on UD and the program. He wouldn't of brought any of these guys in if he didn't think that they would be a good fit on and off the court. Character seems to matter to AG and personally I am thankful for that.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (02-28-2019), EliteEight (03-01-2019), Glen Clark (02-28-2019), MikeFlyer (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:01 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,411 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
The next couple years is stacking up to be exciting with great success on the court. That success will feed the future recruiting cycles. And just as importantly, I hope AG and the program are building a powerful resume that the top transfers in the country can’t ignore. If the program is Top 25 caliber AND sitting out a year working in the program takes a players game and professional prospect to a whole new level, UD will be on every top transfers list.

I think we need 3 huge “sit out a year” success stories from the current players. We have one right now - Obi. We have 5 really good candidates on the team right now. Two more superstar stories from that group and AG will have a powerful back-story for every transfer candidate starting next year. I’ve become convinced landing high level transfers and managing red shirt options is a fine art that can take UD to the next level (Sweet 16s and beyond). I’m seeing it over in the volleyball program, and it sure looks like AG is using these tools to build the men’s b-ball program. Also, Vball just signedit’s first Russian player after having a Canadian player a couple years ago. AG has also tapped players with foriegn backgrounds. It’s another piece of the puzzle on how to challenge the P5 programs.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
A couple months ago someone on here posted they went to one of his coach's shows. When it was over they were about to leave -- but not before someone put a big paw on their shoulder before they were about to get up out of their chair and take off. When they turned their head to see who it was, it was Anthony. He just want to introduce himself and thank them for coming out and supporting him and the team.
Found it...

Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post
Do you want to meet AG?

If so go to the Monday Coaches Show at Frickers Woodman.

This week ... I was minding my own business ... sitting down talking to a buddy and drinking a beer after the show ... and some big guy got into my space ... I looked up shocked ... it was AG ... thanking me for coming to the show.

I have been going to the show 20+years ... and have NEVER been surprised by ANY UD COACH coming to me ... at my table ... to say thanks.
BeckysTXA (02-28-2019), Clear Prop (02-28-2019), CT Flyer (02-28-2019), JoeFlyer (02-28-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-28-2019), The Fly (02-28-2019), Widget (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

That's a total Donoher move. That's a Brian Gregory move. I'm not sure our last coach would have ever done that.

Fans are fickle. Six weeks ago AG was just the dumb coach that can't win close ones and was a VCU/Bama reject UD had to settle for. Now he's suddenly taking an undermanned team and getting them to peak at the most important time of the year. Those emotional rollercoasters from the peanut gallery will never stop and Im sure the next loss will circle the wagons once again. I said from the beginning to hold off evaluations for 4 seasons. Im sticking to that. But from what Ive seen so far we are on pace or ahead of schedule.

The man was left with almost nothing. Now he's on the verge of something. Lets see if he can take that something and turn it into something more. Evaluate from 30,000ft and not at a macro level after each pass, shot, or rebound.

I'm sure he never would have done it. Great coach, but CAG is the better ambassador. Which is more valuable in the long run? Probably coaching, but I'd like to think CAG is pretty good in that department too. The personal affect he has is icing on the cake.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM
General

Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
To be fair.... Sibert didn't start the first 2 games of his UD career. He did hit a game winning 3 pointer in the season opener against IPFW that season. You make it sound like he had little to no impact out of the gate..

I believe your assessment of the transfers and their potential impact on next seasons team are pessimistic at best. We have already seen AG is ONLY willing to work with players that are all in on UD and the program. He wouldn't of brought any of these guys in if he didn't think that they would be a good fit on and off the court. Character seems to matter to AG and personally I am thankful for that.

I was being overly pessimistic, but with a purpose.

Personally, I think Chatman is going to be a great backup, actually a perfect backup, my only fear is that he won't be satisfied with 10-12 minutes a night. Or if he's even better, that Crutcher won't be satisfied coming off the bench, or Jordan Davis losing minutes, etc... In an ideal world, him giving UD a solid 10-12 minutes a night will also serve to make Crutcher a more effective player.

Personally, the similarities b/w Watson's story and Siebert's story have me giddy with excitement. Both were big time recruits, neither played a ton, nor were overly productive, both were given great reviews by those who watched them in practice during their transfer season. If comes anywhere close to Jordan's production over his two years here...wow.

Personally, I think Jordy's size will give this team the back end defender that it needs and bulk to man up against players with size. Right now, there is no real rim protector, nobody that makes opponents have to think twice about driving the lane. I think Obi can get there with another offseason, but that is a learned skill and Obi hasn't spent near as much time in the post as most kids his size, remember it was only a few years ago that he was 6-5 or whatever. His block numbers were nothing special at Nebraska, and assuming most of his shots will come from within 3 feet of the rim, he needs to shot above 50% to be efficient.

Chase is obviously a great athlete, but with only 45 minutes of play under his belt, and the concussion issues, I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully he's the stud everyone thought he'd be coming out of HS, but there is 0 proof that he can due at the collegiate proof (and 0 proof that he can't)

It was a few years ago, during Travis Ford's 1st year at SLU when they were struggling on the court but TV commentators would look at their group of transfers sitting on the bench and talk about the future. I think they had 3 guys sitting out that year, Bess a highly rated recruit from columbus who played sparingly 2 years at Michigan St, Foreman who was somewhat productive at Rutgers, and I forget the other. How's that worked out for them?

Adding transfers to the mix, especially this many creates an instant log jam. Guys who transferred in may only see 10-15 minutes next year, guys who are playing 20-35 this year, might only see 10-15 next year. That is my fear, how is CAG going to keep everyone on the same page, working towards the same goal. If all 4 of these guys have a similar impact as Vee Sanford had here, UD will be really good the next 2 years. If even 2 of them have a similar impact as Siebert, while the other 2 have an impact similar to Derenbecker (RIP) the next 2 years, this team could be great, could be beyond special.

But until I actually see how these guys impact the team next year, and how the returning players work with the infusion of talent, I'll be cautiously optimistic. I think they could be special, but I fear chemistry could be the thorn that keeps them from being memorable.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Having so many good players to fit into 200 minutes per game is a first world problem. Give me that problem every year I'll suffer thru it.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-28-2019), CJ2etc (02-28-2019), Medford (02-28-2019), Wallage (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,341 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I think Chatman is going to be a great backup, actually a perfect backup, my only fear is that he won't be satisfied with 10-12 minutes a night. Or if he's even better, that Crutcher won't be satisfied coming off the bench, or Jordan Davis losing minutes, etc... In an ideal world, him giving UD a solid 10-12 minutes a night will also serve to make Crutcher a more effective player.
I think you are too stuck on the fact that Chatman is a POINT GUARD. I believe there will be many times when both Crutcher and Chatman are on the floor together. Maybe even Crutcher, Chatman and Davis together. So when you say 10-12 minutes per game you may be right that he gets that at the point but he will almost certainly log minutes off the point as well. I'm guessing Chatman will be in the upper 20's for mpg next year.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Wallage (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM

John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
These guys will have known each and played together for over a year by the time that the season starts. I would imagine that there is already a level of comradery created with their almost daily practices/games. Playing time will work its way out. I am sure there have been times when the current team would have given anything to have a few more minutes on the bench so they would be fresh when needed.

Certainly there will be some guys that think they deserve more time, but three of them already came from situations where they became best friends with other guys sitting on the bench. It is highly likely that their playing time will increase. One thing that we have seen from Grant is that he will play the hot hand even if that includes taking a captain out of the starting lineup. Play well and you will play more.

Don't forget they get to make a trip to Hawaii to start the season. Can't be all bad.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I think you are too stuck on the fact that Chatman is a POINT GUARD. I believe there will be many times when both Crutcher and Chatman are on the floor together. Maybe even Crutcher, Chatman and Davis together. So when you say 10-12 minutes per game you may be right that he gets that at the point but he will almost certainly log minutes off the point as well. I'm guessing Chatman will be in the upper 20's for mpg next year.

OK, so Chatman plays PG, Crutch SG or vice versa at times, doesn't that reduce the min of Watson, Cohill, Davis, Mikesell and/or Landers? As mentioned above, having too much talent to fill 200 minutes is a first world problem, wish UD had that problem this season, but there will likely be 1-2 players getting less time than they thought. That could be a challenge.

anyhoo, I'll worry more about that come October next year; I'm hoping this year's team can still become memorable over the next month +
Old 02-28-2019, 10:25 AM

If we go through next season without some injuries I would be very surprised. We will be glad that we are 12 or 13 deep.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-28-2019), JoeFlyer (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Since this is an AG thread I just want to say that I believe there are many of us who are not "fickle fans"
I was hoping for AG to be the coach even earlier than it (finally) happened . . .
I have been behind him and rooting for him all the way.
There is no better representative for our program than this well-spoken class act, who brings a ton of varied coaching experience and is in addition, a Flyer Faithful.
Go get 'em AG!
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (02-28-2019), BeckysTXA (02-28-2019), CJ2etc (02-28-2019), Clear Prop (02-28-2019), frisco flyer (02-28-2019), Graphicsguy (03-01-2019), TA111 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,346 Times in 1,341 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
OK, so Chatman plays PG, Crutch SG or vice versa at times, doesn't that reduce the min of Watson, Cohill, Davis, Mikesell and/or Landers? As mentioned above, having too much talent to fill 200 minutes is a first world problem, wish UD had that problem this season, but there will likely be 1-2 players getting less time than they thought. That could be a challenge.

anyhoo, I'll worry more about that come October next year; I'm hoping this year's team can still become memorable over the next month +
I never said minutes won't be reduced for others involved, including Crutcher (although I think he'll still lead the team in minutes played), but you are putting too much into Chatman being a PG so his only minutes can come from that position so it is split evenly between him and Crutcher (in your eyes Crutcher 28-30 and Chatman 10-12).
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly! Many of us hoped UD would hire Anthony Grant 10-16 years ago. Some of you acted like Grant had fallen completely on his face at VCU and Alabama. That's not the case; and everything else about his hire made 100% strategical, business, marketing, social, and basketball sense. It was a "No Brainer"; and regardless of what happens, it was a good judgment decision at the time Miller left. GO ANTHONY GRANT AND GO DAYTON FLYERS! I can't wait to see how this transitional year number two ends.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-28-2019), CT Flyer (02-28-2019), Flyer69ers (02-28-2019), Graphicsguy (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I never said minutes won't be reduced for others involved, including Crutcher (although I think he'll still lead the team in minutes played), but you are putting too much into Chatman being a PG so his only minutes can come from that position so it is split evenly between him and Crutcher (in your eyes Crutcher 28-30 and Chatman 10-12).

Actually I expect Obi and Crutch to lead the way in minutes around 30-35 a game next year. And I fully expect to see both Crutch and Chatman in the lineup together at some point each game. I never once said Chatman's 10-12 (pulled out of my backside cause it could be way higher) would come exclusively at the loss of minutes for Crutch; you're the only one reading into that.

I do think a slight reduction in PG responsibilities will be a good thing for Crutch next season. I also hope that if the improvement of Obi and the addition of Jordy give UD a better rim protector, UD's peremeter defense will be much better next season.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:21 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Medford's critique up in post #2 represents basically a worst case scenario. I don't think that will be the case. But let's just say for a second it is. We only lose Josh from this years team, and while that's a big loss I think its survivable. Even if all the new comers are nothing more than role players they would still provide size and depth for a group that's currently sitting in 2nd place in the A10 and is being mentioned in bubble chatter. Lots of things can wrong, but I think its fairly safe to say next years floor is what we're seeing this year in terms of results. I hope for more, but that's not terrible.

Next year gets significantly more exciting if any of the new comers really pan out into high end contributors instead of role players. I have trouble keeping track of where I've heard what, and what info was obtained on Pride Plus or behind a paywall on other sites, so I won't go into details. But the general feeling from those that should know is that is that the newcomers aren't role players.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (02-28-2019), Medford (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:27 PM
General

^^^

that is what I'm hearing as well, and I sure hope its true. Yes, that was basically worst case scenario.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:35 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
When Archie left the Flyers and the announcement came on that Saturday, I did some research over that weekend on who would be the best coach for the Flyers. The following Monday I sent an email to Neil Sullivan indicating that Anthony Grant would be the right choice. Lo and behold, it turned out to be Anthony. As he was as a player, he is as classy as they come and you can tell he loves UD and he loves his job. He has selected some very good assistant coaches and endured last year with a thin roster. This year, another year with a thin roster, he has the Flyers on the cusp of a 20-win season. Beyond that, he has amassed a young, talented team with the potential of an All-American in Obi Toppin. Above that, he has a cadre of talented players in the barn for next year. I am not disappointed at all. He has two young guards who have certainly had their moments, but the team in general is no doubt trending in the right direction. One other point, it is pretty clear that the Flyers have to nearly win out to get a tournament bid, but if they do, I could see this team doing some real damage in the NCAA, especially if we defend as we have in recent games. Anthony Grant was indeed the right man for the job!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (02-28-2019), UDGutter2 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Interestingly, there are a few posters who have been relatively silent since the Flyers have started playing really well recently.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (02-28-2019), Glen Clark (02-28-2019), SeasonTicketFan (02-28-2019), The Fly (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wallage View Post
Medford's critique up in post #2 represents basically a worst case scenario. I don't think that will be the case. But let's just say for a second it is. We only lose Josh from this years team, and while that's a big loss I think its survivable. Even if all the new comers are nothing more than role players they would still provide size and depth for a group that's currently sitting in 2nd place in the A10 and is being mentioned in bubble chatter. Lots of things can wrong, but I think its fairly safe to say next years floor is what we're seeing this year in terms of results. I hope for more, but that's not terrible.

Next year gets significantly more exciting if any of the new comers really pan out into high end contributors instead of role players. I have trouble keeping track of where I've heard what, and what info was obtained on Pride Plus or behind a paywall on other sites, so I won't go into details. But the general feeling from those that should know is that is that the newcomers aren't role players.
A couple of weeks ago Larry Hansgen stated that Ibi Watson was the best player on the team based upon all the practices he’s witnessed. That’s a pretty strong statement and I don’t think he’d make it without being pretty confident. I expect Watson to put up Sibert type numbers next year.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Wallage (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that Chase Johnson is a big muscular dude. Hopefully like super Mikesell.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Javon Bess was a 3 star guy from the eastern Columbus suburbs who didn’t put up much number wise. Pretty similar to situation Watson and he blossomed in the A10

Jordy seems like the forgotten transfer but he good games against Kansas and Michigan State as a freshman. It sounds like he had some trouble with the coaches and staying out of foul trouble.

AG someone posted on here had a rep as guy good at developing bigs at Florida. Great work with Obi here. I have no idea how good Chase and Jordy are but if JT can get a double double against Kansas and Michigan State as a freshman he’s got something to work with
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
A couple of weeks ago Larry Hansgen stated that Ibi Watson was the best player on the team based upon all the practices he’s witnessed. That’s a pretty strong statement and I don’t think he’d make it without being pretty confident. I expect Watson to put up Sibert type numbers next year.
That is high praise considering what kind of players Obi and Crutcher have become.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM
General

Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,261 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Here’s what I hope to hear from an announcer next year (and the next):

“Wow, those Flyers just keep coming at you, like wave after wave”
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-01-2019), CE80 (03-01-2019), steverino015 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Here’s what I hope to hear from an announcer next year (and the next):

“Wow, those Flyers just keep coming at you, like wave after wave”
and they are like Noah's ark with 2 of everything.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-01-2019), Radar (03-01-2019), steverino015 (03-01-2019), TA111 (03-01-2019), Viperstick (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Interestingly, there are a few posters who have been relatively silent since the Flyers have started playing really well recently.
Ha, I have an ego. So, do not mind if I include myself in your grouping.
I put the 'THERE' in the 'there' !

But see to it, that no excuses are permitted. No between 'purple' pill. It's 'THERE,' so bring it!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
The biggest benefit of having a deep bench is insulation from injury. We’d be severely damaged by the loss of any one of several key guys this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-01-2019), jack72 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
The biggest benefit of having a deep bench is insulation from injury. We’d be severely damaged by the loss of any one of several key guys this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, and that’s why this season has been better than expected. Add to that foul trouble. There have very few games where we’ve had any foul trouble.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Commander in Chief

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Agreed, and that’s why this season has been better than expected. Add to that foul trouble. There have very few games where we’ve had any foul trouble.
We foul less often than almost every team in the country. That might be by design due to our depth. You can be more aggressive defensively if you have depth.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
We foul less often than almost every team in the country. That might be by design due to our depth. You can be more aggressive defensively if you have depth.
I've never seen a team like UD that so many times this year there's 8-9 minutes left in the half and they have 2-3 fouls maximum...
Old 03-01-2019, 02:15 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
The biggest benefit of having a deep bench is insulation from injury. We’d be severely damaged by the loss of any one of several key guys this year. Posted via Mobile Device

I thought injuries were just an excuse.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Or you foul so often refs can't possibly call them all (see VCU)!
Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Transfers Focused on this Year
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...kfguqhZq5sDOL/
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (03-01-2019), CT Flyer (03-01-2019), frisco flyer (03-01-2019), jack72 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I thought injuries were just an excuse.
Exactly. NObody cares. That’s why we need a bench. It’s wins and loses. Or perhaps you expect that the committee will shine on us because we lost “ the great” Jehry Matos.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by forego1 View Post
Ha, I have an ego. So, do not mind if I include myself in your grouping.
I put the 'THERE' in the 'there' !

But see to it, that no excuses are permitted. No between 'purple' pill. It's 'THERE,' so bring it!
I saw what you did they're....)
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
forego1 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
That loss was in no way material. Comprehend that Dayton would likely have been the only 'at large' not to have won against a single team in the NCAAT field (was not happening).

So, Dayton always needed to beat VCU once or/and win the championship. This clears up any misconception what needs doing.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (03-01-2019), jack72 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,629 Times in 765 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
That loss was in no way material. Comprehend that Dayton would likely have been the only 'at large' not to have won against a single team in the NCAAT field (was not happening).

So, Dayton always needed to beat VCU once or/and win the championship. This clears up any misconception what needs doing.
True. But the way we played tonight leaves a lot to be desired. This was not a good outcome despite the fact that our at large bid percentage went from 2% to 0%
Old 03-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Brigadier General

Well CoffeeCan, I said that game was not material, yet that's incorrect.
Winning that game would actually have hurt our chances. Hanging hopes on a 2% chance, by winning out to the finals, is not a strong mindset for certain.
Steverino015, I have not decided if AG has enough heart... any ideas here? (rather than there) Stick around.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
You cannot have 19 turnovers and expect to be in ANY game, irrespective of the opponent. This team does not value the ball; they are snoozing on their passes; and the guards have more confidence in their games than reality dictates. I hope I am wrong, but I have grudgingly accepted the fact that this is a mediocre team that will probably lose its first game in the A-10 tournament and then proceed to play a game or two in the NIT. I know I will be despised for saying this, but I welcome about three transfers out of the program.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Tommy, I don’t despise you, but I’d rather see those 3 guys (whoever they are) improve ala Mikesell and Toppin. Those 2 guys tonight were the only ones with the court sense, basketball IQ, and cojones to beat URI. The rest of the team played either timid, loose, unfocused, hurt, or some combination of all of the above. Mikesell was able to drive, backcut, box out, block shots, and do everything that was needed to win. Obi had the “gimme the d@mn ball!” attitude that we needed in order to punch the Rams in the mouth. Everybody else needed to step up...and did not.

I think it was instructive that Coach Grant spent roughly 20 minutes in the postgame locker room before coming out for his postgame radio interview. I have a feeling that a new coat of paint may be needed in that locker room, and I also have a feeling that may be the last “flat” game we’ll see out of several players this year. Regarding the latter point: that had better be the case.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (03-02-2019), Radar (03-03-2019), Runnin' Rebel (03-02-2019), shocka43 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
You cannot have 19 turnovers and expect to be in ANY game, irrespective of the opponent. This team does not value the ball; they are snoozing on their passes; and the guards have more confidence in their games than reality dictates. I hope I am wrong, but I have grudgingly accepted the fact that this is a mediocre team that will probably lose its first game in the A-10 tournament and then proceed to play a game or two in the NIT. I know I will be despised for saying this, but I welcome about three transfers out of the program.
You can always get some to despise you for having anything less than r&b glasses. Tonight was an abomination. A full house, ESPN, our season somewhat on the line, and some of our guys couldn’t sack up. Crutcher shooting well past nba range 3’s from his chest and making none. Davis never attacking, even when Langevine was in foul trouble. Landers who showed no offensive ability whatsoever. I don’t even know what to say about Josh. He got destroyed by CL who admittedly is a handful, But one freaking basket in a game+ OT?? Some of it is our guard’s inability to penetrate and dish. But he needed to man up, maybe get fouled, maybe get a rebound. RM (minus his woeful 3pt shooting) and Obi played their asses off.

Oh, I’ll take a shot at your question. Frankie, bye bye. If he can’t play now, not next year. Beyond him I really don’t see a clear transfer. Cohill has skills and should keep his role but with his shot he’s not going to be the man anywhere that matters. TL may not see much pt but he seems all in for UD. Will go down as impactful as Yuante Holland. Maybe Davis if he see himself limited by Chatman and Watson.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Commander in Chief

I wondered this evening if we play zone for extended periods because of our depth. That is my theory. I think it hurts us tremendously. We are not good in that zone, IMO. Rhode Island was supposed to be a bad outside shooting team. They lit it up in the first half.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree whole heartedly! I was at the game tonight and you cannot expect to win any game when you have 19 turnovers. Anthony Grant should set a goal of single digits (9 or less) for turnovers and the team would run in practice if that goal is not met!

We weren't going to get an at large bid anyway but some players on this team are going to be replaced in the starting lineup next season or at the very least get their minutes cut back if they play with a lackadaisical attitude that they displayed tonight. The fact is they have the talent to win out and go clear to the A-10 final in Brooklyn and even with a loss in the finals they would have had an outside chance. With this loss tonight the handwriting is on the wall! Win the conference championship or settle for the NIT!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Pretty strong comment for the guy who got AG hired.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I agree whole heartedly! I was at the game tonight and you cannot expect to win any game when you have 19 turnovers. Anthony Grant should set a goal of single digits (9 or less) for turnovers and the team would run in practice if that goal is not met!

We weren't going to get an at large bid anyway but some players on this team are going to be replaced in the starting lineup next season or at the very least get their minutes cut back if they play with a lackadaisical attitude that they displayed tonight. The fact is they have the talent to win out and go clear to the A-10 final in Brooklyn and even with a loss in the finals they would have had an outside chance. With this loss tonight the handwriting is on the wall! Win the conference championship or settle for the NIT!

And you don't think Grant does have some kind of goals? Setting a goal and meeting xpectations are 2 different things. Jalen crutcher is a very nice player but he is not a great true point guard. He has a chance but there are innate traits he lacks. Trey Landers is a very nice piece for a team but he just does not fit in on the offensive and defensive end for real good teams and getting many touches. Jordan Davis is only an adequate player at best. He has real deficiencies and that is putting the ball on the floor and his ability not to commit himself up in the air with nowhere to go. Combine those three things and you have several turnovers per game. That doesn't count the turnovers that a fairly inexperienced player Obi has.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Brigadier General

Cool

Well CoffeeCan, I said that game was not material, yet that's incorrect.
Winning that game would actually have hurt our chances. Hanging hopes on a 2% chance, by winning out to the finals, is not a strong mindset for certain.
Steverino015, I have not decided if AG has enough heart... any ideas here? (rather than there) Stick around.
For me, this season is a bit better than I expected.. they are not their yet, but AG has heart and is building something IMO.... he took a while after the game, sure he had some thoughts for the team....

I would love for Obi to stay for at least 2 more seasons....

hit a bump in the road here, but really the situation is the same... we need to win the tournament to get it.... we know what we have to do, so back to the mantra:
one game at a time....

I predicted this team will win the tournament, I'll stand by it...
in 2 years, I'll predict sweet 16 minimum.. if Obi stays, I'll predict elite 8...yes, I thoroughly enjoy Kool Aid....
Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Always entertaining to read the posts after a loss.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-03-2019), Flyer14 (03-02-2019), Glen Clark (03-02-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2019), steverino015 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Win the next 2 games and UD is still a 2 or 3 seed in the A10 - bit better than the predicted 6th
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-03-2019), steverino015 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Brigadier General

Thumbs up

For me... AG has heart and is building something IMO....

I predicted this team will win the tournament, I'll stand by it...
I thoroughly enjoy....

"For me.. IMO" > no need for bashfulness, heh?

Concerning finer points of basketball, I can say with authority I don't know my a** from a hole in the ground. But why are Dayton's guys so glaringly out of position at critical times (that has little to do with caliber; so, is that what's going to continue going forward?).

I could not quite hook on to your effort (here or there). I would be a cheap sl*t to be sold on AG's heart. If only he had yours

Try again, steverino015............ .....
Old 03-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Brigadier General

Why would Dayton not make the finals?

..and win
Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Brigadier General

"For me.. IMO" > no need for bashfulness, heh?

Concerning finer points of basketball, I can say with authority I don't know my a** from a hole in the ground. But why are Dayton's guys so glaringly out of position at critical times (that has little to do with caliber; so, is that what's going to continue going forward?).

I could not quite hook on to your effort (here or there). I would be a cheap sl*t to be sold on AG's heart. If only he had yours

Try again, steverino015............ .....
I truly feel he is building something here.. forming it on a potter's wheel...he began with a big globby gob of ooey, hooey, gooey clay, and you can better believe he is working it into something...no need to try again, he is taking care of all that...patience

I'm on record here predicting:
next year NCAA bid

if Obi stays for 2 more years...we get to the Elite Eight

if he leaves, we still get to the sweet 16
Old 03-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Why would Dayton not make the finals?

..and win
Several reasons.
1. VCU has shown to pretty good and has beaten UD twice this year. Still possible to meet VCU before the finals.
2. Other teams are good too, Davidson. George Mason, St. Bonaventure and Duquesne
3. UD is not deep and might be more banged up than we realize. Trey, more??? Their players especially our point guard has played a lot of minutes
4. The team is far from perfect and every team in the A10 knows their strengths and weaknesses very well.
5. Every conference tournament is a crap shoot. Anything can happen.

Why could UD win the conference tournament?

1. They proved they can play with anyone/ everyone
2. Josh and Obi are the best inside combo in the league. Josh's offensive numbers are down because other teams are trying to focus on him a lot more. Obi is getting points that Josh probably would have gotten. They are still tough to beat. I look at the output together, not individually. You have to give up something against them. You can't stop both.
3. If the perimeter players hit 3s, they are as good as anyone in the league on offense. You can't sag on Josh and Obi at all. (See the point above)
4. They have played better on the road this year than at home
5. UD is due to beat VCU. Two close games that were undecided after 39 minutes.
6. Every conference tournament is a crap shoot. Anything can happen.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Brigadier General

"...patience...

I'm on record here predicting:
next year NCAA bid
Next year? What happened to now?

"predicted this team will win the tournament, I'll stand by it..."

Okay, SeasonTicketFan, I know you have knowledge of the game. So let me just present this slant:

You acknowledge our competitiveness with our early tourney foes, and that we CAN play well. As to depletion, I would remind you Dayton went to an elite 8 with six, including a walk-on and no player over 6' 6" - I understand their maturity as a difference. Still, excuses are not valid in the context of THIS opportunity.
You established we are good enough when we DO play. The A-10 is woefully weak [The A-10 is markedly below the MAC conference NET ranking].

I have cobbled out internal agreement to higher expectations next year, but ****... tomorrow's success does not come from out of nowhere.
It would be a failure not getting to the finals THIS year. If it happens VCU is the team there too, and UD can show competitiveness, then I'll be fine.

C'mon & buck up, steverino015, do not hedge!

See what you did there?
NO, I won't be fine if they were to lose to VCU!!

Last edited by forego1; 03-03-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, SeasonTicketFan, I know you have knowledge of the game. So let me just present this slant:

You acknowledge our competitiveness with our early tourney foes, and that we CAN play well. As to depletion, I would remind you Dayton went to an elite 8 with six, including a walk-on and no player over 6' 6" - I understand their maturity as a difference. Still, excuses are not valid in the context of THIS opportunity.
You established we are good enough when we DO play. The A-10 is woefully weak [The A-10 is markedly below the MAC conference NET ranking].

I have cobbled out internal agreement to higher expectations next year, but ****... tomorrow's success does not come from out of nowhere.
It would be a failure not getting to the finals THIS year. If it happens VCU is the team there too, and UD can show competitiveness, then I'll be fine.

See what you did there?
The argument about winning with only 6 players has several flaws.
1. That team did not go to the Elite 8. They team the year before with more players did. That team won the Stanford game by playing 3 centers against the Stanford Bigs. They needed all of them to win.
2. The team with only 6 players did not win the A10 tourney. They lost to VCU in the final game of the tourney 3 games in three days. They played that season well, but they lost in the tourney.
3. That team was able to compete with only six because it had some very unique skill sets that this team does not possess. It was also very lucky to stay injury free.
4. Just because it happens once, does not mean it can happen every time. That is like saying I should win the lottery because I got lucky once. EVERY D1 coach in America wants more players not less. If they play 6-7, it is out necessity, not because of preference. Today's players spend as much time in the weight room as they do on the court. The game is physical and players get tired from all the banging. Yes, their legs tired, but the rest of the pounding is what causes more fatigue. That is why they want more healthy bodies.

I don't buy the argument that you can win long term with 6-7 players. I place more stock in what D1 coaches do than what fans say.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-03-2019), JimBo (03-03-2019), springborofan (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 PM
Brigadier General

See what you did there?
I stand by that, I predicted very early this season that we would finish in the top 4 of the A10, and win the conference tournament to make the NCAA... I stand by that...but we are a work in progress...

what I meant by next year, is they will be improved, just as this team is much improved from last year... so this year we win the tournament to go in... and advance to the NCAA, possible one and done... where, depends if Obi is with us...next year we get a mid seed ranking and win in the NCAA, how many games will depend on Obi..

what happens if we don't go this year, Steverino? well, I'll go check outside then, but my guess is the world keeps turning and it is not a signal of the Tribulation... we still make the NIT, and showed much improvement from last year...

epilogue: we only win the A10 tournament if all players on the court play the way we know they can... we have seen great performance from each of them.. yes AG is the coach and motivates... but it is still up to the players...

this was posted earlier as a suggestion, not sure by who: why not consider, if you are AG, of starting Cohill and Frankie if only for the first minute or two minutes... I have seen this done by coaches through the years, good hall of fame coaches... I am interested to see what the starting lineup is in they're next game....)

Last edited by steverino015; 03-03-2019 at 03:46 PM..
Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
The argument about winning with only 6 players has several flaws.
1. That team did not go to the Elite 8. They team the year before with more players did. That team won the Stanford game by playing 3 centers against the Stanford Bigs. They needed all of them to win.
2. The team with only 6 players did not win the A10 tourney. They lost to VCU in the final game of the tourney 3 games in three days. They played that season well, but they lost in the tourney.
3. That team was able to compete with only six because it had some very unique skill sets that this team does not possess. It was also very lucky to stay injury free.
4. Just because it happens once, does not mean it can happen every time. That is like saying I should win the lottery because I got lucky once. EVERY D1 coach in America wants more players not less. If they play 6-7, it is out necessity, not because of preference. Today's players spend as much time in the weight room as they do on the court. The game is physical and players get tired from all the banging. Yes, their legs tired, but the rest of the pounding is what causes more fatigue. That is why they want more healthy bodies.

I don't buy the argument that you can win long term with 6-7 players. I place more stock in what D1 coaches do than what fans say.
Thank You! Amazing what facts will do impede a false argument. Unfortunately, my guess is that he will not FOREGO some bizarre (and I suspect alcohol fueled) response.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Brigadier General

Alternative 'facts' in the Trump world apparently have alternative realities too (Smiles)

My livelihood focused on snatching out rare opportunities I saw.
I am engaging because I see Dayton's chances here are alive, and riding that.

I would give you a medal for analysis and heavy lifting, but don't have one to offer
Old 03-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Thank You! ... Unfortunately, my guess is that he will not FOREGO some bizarre (and I suspect alcohol fueled) response.
I don't think FOREGO's response will be out of line here.

You are so insecure in your own skin that you need to belittle someone on a forum?

Okay, so speak to me here of your high ground, springborofan.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Brigadier General

Oh, by the way, springborofan

....your affront on a forum may seem like harmless thrash (to you)

...but is it?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Yes,
We all hope that UD advances to the A10 championship game and wins. That is what UD fans want. The chances of getting to the A10 championship game are not too bad, but everything has to go right. To win it all, everything has to go perfectly.

It has happened before and could happen. It will just be a tall order and an amazing end to the regular season if either happens.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 03-03-2019 at 06:52 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-03-2019), CvilleFlyer (03-03-2019)