User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Come All Ye Apologists

It has been mentioned here many times, but it is met with the same "how dare you criticize the blessed Flyers" reaction. Well, I beg anyone to explain to me how the Y defensive approach is acceptable (you know, the YMCA-I-got-him defensive scheme). 39 points. SLU's best player was out for several minutes. Still, 39 points. I can't help but think back to the Seinfeld episode where George decides to do the exact opposite of what he normally would do. Archie, please, follow George's idea on the defensive end. Please. Now. Whatever you think is working...well...it's not. I'm certain that I'll get the standard responses: "we need a better effort; "the coach can only coach, and the players have to make the plays"; "it's Archie's 3rd year. Do you know the last coach to be successful at UD in his 3rd year" (that's my favorite; it's somehow supposed to explain why the Flyers are putrid on defense). Don't listen to the apologists, Archie. Just please, please do the opposite of whatever you think is right on the defensive end.

While I'm on a rant that will rankle many, how about telling Oliver to quit shooting the ball when he can't come close to putting the orange round thing through the hoop. I applaud his assist to Scoochie, but let's leave keep it that way. Pass rather than shoot. If you have a nice warm up to the 2nd half and feel a little rhythm, go ahead and give it a shot. If it resembles anything like the first half, stop shooting. Period.

Still ranting...Archie, when things work, stick with them. Play Scoochie. Ride Pollard. See if Davis can stop somebody. Sit Kavs. He stunk. Tell Sanford that he'll sit the next time he shoots from 3.

I predicted a 23 point loss. I may have underestimated SLU. This one may be close to 30.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
runnerup (03-06-2014)
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
are we watching the same game? close to 30? Save the rant until the game is over...until the season is over. We're down by 2 to a #17 team.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udstevied_D87 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-05-2014), Glen Clark (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,080 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Was that rant some sort of reverse karma psychology deal? It seems to be working
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-05-2014), Justin (03-06-2014), Levelbest (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Nope. The D is terrible. Jett is hurt. And, it is admittedly a rant after all. I've seen better D on a playground in NYC.
Flyer 86 (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 PM

UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
We are getting a lot of turnovers at least.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Brigadier General

UDEE79 - I desperately hope that it has a reverse karma affect. I've tried everything. I turn games on...I turn them off. There's some sort of crazy relationship between the Flyers' fate and how closely I follow a game on my phone. I'm trying the rant approach. I would love for the Flyers to prove me wrong. But, I honestly do believe that it will take more Pollard, Davis and Smith.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 PM

Up eight with 4 minutes to go please post another rant!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Levelbest (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Hurry up - the lead is down to 5...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Brigadier General

I'm trying to come up with one. I can't sit down long enough to construct it. Please don't let it be that we lose because I failed to post another rant. The horror, the horror.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Brigadier General

Archie, what were you thinking when you left Davis in so long to run the point. He's a lock down defender but needs to have another guard on the court to run the offense. SLU exploited him. Are you blind? It was obvious to all that he was stumped by the SLU D. He needs to be on the court to provide D, but you have to balance the line up. C'mon Archie.
UDEE79 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Brigadier General

I tried.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Brigadier General

Where was the TO when Sanford was struggling? Five fingers, five seconds. Do the math.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Brigadier General

I'm still trying.
rollo (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Brigadier General

I'll be back on Saturday prepared to rant. While I'm as serious as a heart attack about the D, I'll try to arm myself with enough rants that it's not so close against Richmond.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-05-2014), Levelbest (03-06-2014), rollo (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Thanked 17,163 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone want to reel him back in?

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-05-2014), Canonball (03-05-2014), Flyer 86 (03-05-2014), Glen Clark (03-06-2014), Levelbest (03-06-2014), Tony T 71 (03-06-2014), UD Sam (03-06-2014), westchesterflyer (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
need to close the deal on Saturday
Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Brigadier General

Chris, please don't reel me back in until after Saturday. It worked tonight. I have to give it a shot Saturday IF it is necessary. I hope it isn't. Saturday is huge. Going in to the last 4, I thought it was reasonable to think that UD could finish 3-1. I also thought it was reasonable to think that they would finish 1-3. I thought there was no chance of winning at SLU. Of course, SLU was hobbled by Jett's injury. But, you don't give wins back. We don't get wins back because of injuries and freshmen who weren't prepared to step up. A win is a win!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Wasn't expecting to read this when I started this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Can this thread be erased?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Can this thread be erased?
Are you kidding? This is the thread that caused the comeback.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Hyde Park Flyer (03-05-2014), Levelbest (03-06-2014), rollo (03-06-2014), Sea Bass (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Said before but it bears repeating, "It's only wierd if it doesn't work."
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-06-2014), westchesterflyer (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:06 AM

From now on you are Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Park Flyer! Way to go. your nit-picky rants at the end just put us over the top!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Levelbest (03-06-2014), redbengal (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Are you kidding? This is the thread that caused the comeback.
And here I thought it was all the Hail Marys I said
Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Anyone want to reel him back in?
I say we let him go.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,173 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-06-2014), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-06-2014), DJ '96 (03-06-2014), Levelbest (03-06-2014), Odrab14 (03-06-2014), SC_Flyer (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Brigadier General

I'm with SC Flyer.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Brigadier General

My 12 year old played in a hockey tournament in Detroit last weekend. He insists on tight laces, so he still has a coach or me (usually me) tie them. I tied them Friday night, and he didn't play well. On Saturday, I couldn't tie them so a coach did. He had a great game. I didn't tie them again all weekend. He ended up having a great tournament, and his team made it to the Championship game. With this in mind, I'm putting rants in reserve for Saturday. If Rollo had any brass nutz, he'd at least comment in a strand that is critical of AM. Oh Rollo, oh Rollo, where art thou Rollo?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Odrab14 (03-06-2014), rollo (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
If Rollo had any brass nutz, he'd at least comment in a strand that is critical of AM. Oh Rollo, oh Rollo, where art thou Rollo?
How's this....

Hey Archie...it's about f'in time you let Robinson shoot some mf'in 3's! Where's that been all year...and Pollard...never play his lame *ss again...and oh, yeah, whatever you're not doing keep doing and whatever you want to do stop doing! Got it?

Rollo out!
Levelbest (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
And here I thought it was all the Hail Marys I said
Hail Rollos work just as well....
Levelbest (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
If Rollo had any brass nutz, he'd at least comment in a strand that is critical of AM. Oh Rollo, oh Rollo, where art thou Rollo?
Not sure we can single Rollo out because he was but one of MANY on here who gave up on AM, the team, and the season.

Glad UD decided to play the rest of the games rather than listen to the fans about another mediocre season.

One at a time!
Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Brigadier General

Better.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite part of the game - our younger kids were given a chance to play late in the game instead of relying on our senior leadership, which to put it frankly has hurt us a handful of times.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by dnutz77 View Post
Not sure we can single Rollo out because he was but one of MANY on here who gave up on AM, the team, and the season.
I never gave up on the team and have said in many posts that we have enough talent and experience to be a top 4 A10 team.

I have (had? ) given up on Archie...and won't argue that point...although in all honesty I still have major questions about his inability to coach defense, wonder why we can't play 40 minutes of good basketball and can't understand why we don't seem to play our best until we've trailed by at least 10 pts.

Go TEAM!!!
Hyde Park Flyer (03-06-2014), Levelbest (03-06-2014)