Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
UD vs Campbell

Halftime score..

Dayton -0
Campbell-0
Penalties accepted-9
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2017, 04:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton is now 1-3 in league and 2-5 overall.

Maybe something good will come out of this.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
WOW! I remember when the Camels started an all-frosh team, I went to games at their new field. Their President came over to the visitor side and thanked everybody for coming to the game.

So Campbell finally beats UD and they leave for another conference. Guess there's nothing left for them to accomplish.

This forum is awfully quiet. Is anyone coming down to North Carolina next Saturday or will I be the only member there? OMG, a single tail-gater? Oh no, there's always UD tailgating here! Heck, Mike Kelly once had a canopy!

Let me hear you and I'll publish my list of important things to know for first-timers visiting Davidson.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Gramps..
Yep, I won't disagree that the forum is awfully quiet. Certainly would love to see more to get excited about.

Here is a note many of us received regarding the game a Davidson. Several of the parents were making a note to stop at the tailgate. Looking forward to the opportunity to meet you

Hello Football Parents!

The Charlotte Alumni Community is hosting a tailgate for the Davidson game next month. If you are planning on traveling to the game, we'd love for you to join in on the fun!​

Davidson Football Tailgate
Saturday, Oct. 21, 11 a.m
​.
Baker Sports Complex

Join us for a tailgate and to cheer on the UD football team as they take on Davidson. Snacks will be provided by the Alumni Association; you are encouraged to bring your own beverages. Let us know you’re coming by registering on the online community. Tickets for the 1 p.m. game can be purchased through Davidson’s ticket office.

​If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me or the Charlotte Community Leader, Leanne Downey '02 at charlotte@alumni.udayton.edu.

​Go Flyers!
Jen Clark

​--
Jen Clark '13
Alumni Engagement Officer | University of Dayton
300 College Park | Dayton OH 45469-7052
c: 937-750-8480 | w: 937-229-2223 | 1-888-UD-ALUMS
alumni.udayton.edu | linkedin.com/in/jenclark3
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (10-15-2017), PittsburghFlyer (10-17-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 01:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's quiet because we are in new territory. A possible sub 500 season looms on the horizon.

Spoke with several who attend the games and some former posters, none want to say or post what they are really thinking.

One common concern is hearing broadcasters theirs and our own marvel at how much bigger longer faster and more athletic than UD. Maybe the UD model needs to be revaluated.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:00 PM
General of the Air Force

In a discussion regarding upgrading football could UD do so to join a league like ACC. Answer would be yes they could but not likely due to costs.

Which bring up a valid question, why do schools have to have 100 players or even 62 for lower divison. Most schools are in the red yet continue the 100 student athlete modle.

Dayton gas 12k loyal bball fans, that would not be enough to pay for athletes ships not to mention other costs.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:49 PM
Colonel

[QUOTE=NEOFlyer;516640]Gramps..

Here is a note many of us received regarding the game a Davidson. Several of the parents were making a note to stop at the tailgate. Looking forward to the opportunity to meet you

Hello Football Parents!

The Charlotte Alumni Community is hosting a tailgate for the Davidson game next month. If you are planning on traveling to the game, we'd love for you to join in on the fun!​

Davidson Football Tailgate Saturday Oct. 21st 11:00am

Thank you Mr. Avon; now I know why there always are UD tailgaters at Davidson. I contacted them to see if they wanted my photos from 2008 & 2014. Hope to see you there. Just look for the Octogenarian fat guy with a camera around his neck.

For first timers at Davidson:
No bells, whistles or noisemakers
No umbrellas
Don't wear navy blue or you'll look like a Wildcat fan (they're nice people)
Get your last hot dog before 4th qtr

While in NC:
Find a Barbeque Restaurant & have Lexington Style B-Bque. Comes with slaw on it (not sauerkraut like Ohio). There is sauce in the slaw also (too much vinegar for me so I ask for white slaw), it always incl. Hushpuppies (some good, some fair) Can order plate with side bun to make sandwich or just eat that 8-hour smoked pork shoulder chopped with some of that hard black outside layer, yum-yum.

[ Next Saturday 80,000 to 100,000 will descend on Lexington, NC downtown for an afternoon of crafts, country music and pig-eating. All seven barbecues in Lexington combine to cook the pork and big stands every-other block sell the sandwiches!!!]

O.K. who's going to have a spare gate pass for Flyer Gramps.
​.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (10-18-2017), PittsburghFlyer (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Gramps...

I can cover you. Sent a PM also. I never know if they are ever received
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I have been a season ticket holder for football for 38 years now. I am not sure it is the student athletes we recruit. I think we have talented athletes, but in my opinion we do not use them the right way. For me it is the coaching that is the issue. As much as I did not like Kelly or Whilding, the offense we run now is vanilla and predictable.

Case in point is Skibinski...how fast is he...darned fast and how many balls has he caught and for decent yardage?

On defense...Lutgens is quick and seems like a player...yet he hardly blitzes.

We run the same plays over and over again. Very few pitch sweeps, no options, yet we have an option threat at QB, we don't throw screen passes, we don't throw slants with a huge TE, etc.

On defense we get no pressure, because we rarely blitz. Our adjusting to the offense is too late. I can't tell you how many times the defense is caught out of position because the signals are coming to them too late. We aren't recognizing the packages offenses are throwing at us, until it is too late. Very little safety help and our corners are good, but they are not good enough to cover most of the WR's in our league man on man every play.

Kicking is an issue. We were spoiled with William Will, but outside of Smith we are young at the Kicker spot. We never try anything different...(I have not seen every game) when was the last fake punt we tried or an onside kick when not expecting it? Why don't we squib kick more?

I missed the Campbell game due to our associate pastor at my church being ordained. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th home game I have ever missed in 38 years. I try to go to as many away games as possible as well. I drive from Columbus to Dayton for all for the home games and I have never been more frustrated with our coaching than this season.

I love Flyer Football...it has given me many opportunities to see places I would never have been able to travel to. Some were pretty cool while others were just OK, but always a good adventure. Following the Flyer football program helps relax me from a tough job I have, yet I don't blame any one of our players for the year we are having. This is all on the coaching staff and the administration for not taking this program more seriously and making it stronger instead of always threatening to take it away.

OK, will stop now. Sorry for rambling!

Go Flyers!
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-16-2017), Flyer Gramps (10-16-2017), FlyerIllini (10-16-2017), NEOFlyer (10-18-2017), PittsburghFlyer (10-17-2017), Showme Flyer (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 PM
General of the Air Force

I am with you, but picking out a player or coach has been frowned upon on this board, hence the silence by most. Know RC personally, fine man but have never been excited about his teams.

When you listen to Mike K on the stream he says what he thinks the offense or defense should run on a given play.....but it rarely happens.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Was up in Dayton for the game. Few observations. O line blocked well for the run, pass protection was iffy at best. D played the run very well. At the start of the 2nd half Campbell came out throwing. their QB Dan Smith, was a hand full all game, and he opened the game up with his passing. He was the most talented player on the field. Camels blew two other chances at TD's. one was a drop when nobody was within 10 yards of the receiver, the other was a good play by UD causing a fumble at the 2 yard line as the receiver was going in, resulted in a touchback. Flyers dodged two bullets on those plays. Offensive penalties were a killer. stopped the Flyers on multiple drives. Overall Campbell was a bit better than our Flyers but the penalties stopping drives was a big factor. Agree with previous posts, We are not who we were. Offense seems predictable and we seem a bit undersized.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-18-2017), Flyer Gramps (10-16-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
That is one thing I did not mention...Penalties...we have had our fair share of penalties and those come from being out of position, crappy officiating (several pass interference penalties) or poor discipline. I think it was the San Diego game where a lineman had two personal fouls called against him in the same series. This is a lack of focus and discipline. Yet, he stayed in the game. He may have had to pay for it in practice with running or rolling or whatever, but at that point the other guy was getting him worked up. This is the kind of stuff Dayton has never really done.

We don't turn on the ball when it is in the air. You see it in college, high school and the pros. I don't know if this is current coaching, but that is not what I was ever taught playing football growing up.

Tackling is another issue. I just don't see guys tackling like I was taught. I was taught wrap and slide. Basically, wrap on the mid section and slide down the legs. You take the legs away, you stop the play. Instead it is too much hitting high and trying to strip the ball.

OK, sorry...I said I would quit, but I am just so passionate about the Flyers and I love this program more than just about anything in life.

Go Flyers
Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (10-18-2017)