UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Ugly ugly ugly

Where to begin...26 turnovers, including the final one that led to Miss St winning the game! I'll give UD credit for not quitting, but Miss St was nearly as bad as UD, chucking up 3's and turnovers. Against a quality opponent, UD loses this game by 30+.

That was about as bad a first half of basketball as I've seen.

Kostas just can't keep out of foul trouble.

Pierce has got to be red-shirting.

Williams a no-show again, back must be worse than reported.

Missed FTs hurt. Not sure how many total were missed. DD missed at least 3 that I saw.

We had timeouts at the end of the game. When we got the rebound, why did Grant not signal to call TO to set up a play? I thought well, at least we'll get OT, then another dribble-drive TO. Way way too many of those.

Despite only losing by 2, I find nothing redeeming about this game, Flyers are now 3-4, and showing no signs of improvement. At this rate, 15 wins may be a pipe dream but you never know. By the time A-10 play starts, the freshmen will have played so many minutes they'll be more like sophomores.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-03-2017)
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Great post, u spoke the truth and all the red and blue glasses on here don't wanna hear it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Pierce played
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Pierce has got to be red-shirting.
He played 3 minutes in the first half. His redshirt is gone.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I would hope so. Even if he's not ready we need bodies
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Willy418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of light
Wow! The sky is not falling! Seriously folks where did you expect my beloved Flyers to be be at this point? Not a fan of Jim O'Brian but distinctly remember sitting in in the car in the UD parking lot listening to his post game comments after a big win(X?) and he calmly recalled what his father told him as a young man. He said, " Jim, when its really going good it may not be all that good, and when it is really going bad it may not be all that bad."
Relax everbody!! Blessed to be a Flyer!
Mad Props to Willy418 For This Totally Excellent Post:
skip69 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, Pierce can’t redshirt now, unless he gets hurt within the next few games to the point he’d be out for the season.

I can find a few redeeming points from this game:
-Great determination and effort to completely erase a 21 point deficit.
-Much better ball movement and rotation in the 2nd half led to higher percentage scoring opportunities.
-We actually outrebounded MSU 30-27. A lot of that came from hustle and determination.

And one other that should become a “See?” moment. 26 turnovers is double what a good team would have. 16 in a half is putrid. But they took better care of the ball in the 2nd half (not “good”, just “better”), and that’s part of what led to them being 13 points better than MSU in the 2nd half. So, see what happens when you take better care of the ball?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2017, 10:56 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Somehow I missed Pierce in the first half. Maybe when I went to the bathroom, because I never saw him in the game. Well, for better or worse, he's in it now.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Good takeaway was the defensive effort in the second half and the fact that you had a senior, 11 games from last year, and three freshman that did it.

Yes...frustrating loss as -9.5 dogs going into the game. I don't like the offensive system as it is being executed as of right now.

The redeeming fact is we didn't go down there and get beat by 30...that writing was on the wall at halftime.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-04-2017), Flyer 86 (12-04-2017), ruechalgrin (12-04-2017), San Diego Flyer (12-04-2017), SeasonTicketFan (12-04-2017), TXFlyerFan (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Somehow I missed Pierce in the first half. Maybe when I went to the bathroom, because I never saw him in the game. Well, for better or worse, he's in it now.
You can't pause that thing to go get a beer or hit the can?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (12-03-2017), rollo (12-04-2017), TXFlyerFan (12-03-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
We should expect a lot of this during the year.

Kostas will be sitting on the bench in foul trouble a lot this year. Remember all the foul trouble for Big Steve. Play that tune again. I hope Kostas can learn, but he is thin, will be pushed a round a lot and reaches in. Referees in D1 reward stronger, more physical players.

They missed Williams a lot last night, especially when the two bigs were in foul trouble.

The team has been super erratic so far. Long scoring droughts with periods of runs. A lot will depend on the shooting of the 3 ball which this team seems to love. Some of that might be because of the challenges of the inside game right now. Their best hope for scoring is stepping up their defense.

I agree with Shocka, the offense lacks a good flow especially in and out of the paint and post. At times, they can execute the offense. Other times are: Throw it around the perimeter, followed by a hurried 3.

The comeback was awesome. Do remember that MSU helped. They got careless, started throwing up 3s and threw the ball away like it was a hot potato. MSU helped the comeback.

On the bright side, this team still has potential, but the clean up needs to happen a lot faster. Not sure how you do that with so many freshman.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM

On the offense, everyone knows we are coming to set a screen, the defender hedges out and our ball handler just keeps moving further out to the side. We have no penetration off the screen, no reversal of the dribbler, no cutting from the screener, etc.

The other thing is I can't get a handle on all the ball screen fouls this year. They keep saying "point of emphasis" but what are they emphasizing? That you have to get the screen set x amount of time before the guy with ball runs past? A moving screen was always a moving screen. I'm not sure I get the change.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Last night, Josh did a much better job of staying stationary while setting high picks. In the Auburn game, he leaning and leaving early quite often. He was lucky that he was not whistled more in that game.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-04-2017), San Diego Flyer (12-04-2017), shocka43 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:39 AM
1st Lieutenant

st marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of lightst marys is a glorious beacon of light
Can someone please explain this offense to me? All I see is passing around the 3 point line and on occasion trying to drive into the lane.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 AM
1st Lieutenant

DaytonInsider is a jewel in the roughDaytonInsider is a jewel in the roughDaytonInsider is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
He played 3 minutes in the first half. His redshirt is gone.
Tells me they have no long term plans for him. Would not be surprised if he leaves after the season is over.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Cracks me up when when we take the ball out under out under our own basket and get a pass at or inside the foul line, and then the next two passes take us out to mid court. Cracks me up, as in crying in pain.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-04-2017), rollo (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DaytonInsider View Post
Tells me they have no long term plans for him. Would not be surprised if he leaves after the season is over.
To go where? To a DIII school. He will be a decent player in two years, hopefully he has more patience than we do.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
My thoughts exactly

So far, in the very brief time I've seen him on the floor in the exhibition and last night, I can't remember when I've seen less future potential. I'm guessing the staff has decided to get what they can out of him this season and move on.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
So far, in the very brief time I've seen him on the floor in the exhibition and last night, I can't remember when I've seen less future potential. I'm guessing the staff has decided to get what they can out of him this season and move on.
Ralph Hill says hello.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:49 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, and no longterm plans for Kostas, Crutcher, Davis and Svaboda because they too have played this season.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,692 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
On the offense, everyone knows we are coming to set a screen, the defender hedges out and our ball handler just keeps moving further out to the side. We have no penetration off the screen, no reversal of the dribbler, no cutting from the screener, etc.

The other thing is I can't get a handle on all the ball screen fouls this year. They keep saying "point of emphasis" but what are they emphasizing? That you have to get the screen set x amount of time before the guy with ball runs past? A moving screen was always a moving screen. I'm not sure I get the change.
"Point of emphasis" merely means they are going to call it a lot more now. The screener merely needs to be set, there is no time requirement. The refs are still having a tough time with the block/charge call. That call against Jordan late in the game was atrocious.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 PM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Cracks me up when when we take the ball out under out under our own basket and get a pass at or inside the foul line, and then the next two passes take us out to mid court. Cracks me up, as in crying in pain.
Actually, I believe the play is for the receiver to look to go to the hoop if the lane isn't clogged. If there is no gap to drive then the pass is made. We ran this play last year, mainly for Cooke with some limited success. Unfortunately the only player even remotely capable of really getting to the hoop in that situation is DD and frankly that is a 50/50 proposition.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by st marys View Post
Can someone please explain this offense to me? All I see is passing around the 3 point line and on occasion trying to drive into the lane.
OK, I'll try-it's more of a Pro set where you have a lot of high ball screens. You saw in the second half several dishes to Josh of the roll action. Problem in the first half our bigs couldn't catch the darn ball without turning it over.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
st marys (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
"Point of emphasis" merely means they are going to call it a lot more now. The screener merely needs to be set, there is no time requirement. The refs are still having a tough time with the block/charge call. That call against Jordan late in the game was atrocious.
Thanks. I think I understand now when they were saying the dribbler needs to be patient and not hit the screen too early, they didn't mean the screen had to be set a certain amount of time, just that the needed to make sure the screener was set and not still moving.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
I think too many of you are panicking. CAG is not the player/game coach that Archie is, but who is? He's an excellent recruiter, earns respect of the kids and their parents, and will represent the university at an extremely high level.

Let's get X back, let the kids get some playing time and let's see what happens at the A-10T. This season is just about having fun and watching a young team get their legs. With CAG's recruting ability and our facilities I think we'll be just fine.
Mad Props to FlyerBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerBob View Post
I think too many of you are panicking. CAG is not the player/game coach that Archie is, but who is? He's an excellent recruiter, earns respect of the kids and their parents, and will represent the university at an extremely high level.

Let's get X back, let the kids get some playing time and let's see what happens at the A-10T. This season is just about having fun and watching a young team get their legs. With CAG's recruting ability and our facilities I think we'll be just fine.
I agree.

Face the facts. This is a very young team. DD & XW are the only players with any significant returning minutes. Josh missed most of the year. XW had a bad few games and has been out. The freshman will have a good game, and then disappear. That's part of being a freshman.

Reducing turnovers and ball movement will improve. I'm afraid it will be "two steps forward, one step back" for a while.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-05-2017), FLYER5 (12-05-2017), LI Flyer (12-05-2017), m21eagle45 (12-05-2017)