UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
What to expect next season

I’m among those whose expectation is an NCAA bid next year. I like what we have coming back and look forward to seeing what the transfers bring to the table. But we have some issues to resolve and several big challenges.

1) I feel pretty confident Obi will be back. We NEED him back. But if for any reason he’s MIA next year, everything changes. It’s not overstating things to say he’s our mojo, and the team will be built around him.

2) With the exception of Chatman, the transfers (and a healthy Matos) have to be better — not as good, but BETTER — than advertised. Rodney was productive at Chattanooga, but none of the others saw enough court action to really prove anything other than in spurts (for example, Jordy against Kansas ... once). Yes, they add sorely needed depth, but we need more than warm bodies. We need rebounds, blocks, steals, defensive intensity, etc.

3) We need much better perimeter shooting, either in the form of a Sean McNeill, a rejuvenated Jordan Davis or, again, a transfer to step up and surprise us with superior three-point efficiency.

4) We need to treat the A-10 like the beast it will be. We sometimes act as if Dayton is the only team that will be better. The reality is VCU returns everyone but Gilmore, a non-starter. Davidson returns Gundmundsson, Brady and several others. Rhody has Dowtin, Langevine and Russell back. Foreman and French will be seniors at St. Louis. This will not be the cakewalk some envision.

5) We need a fast start in the non-con, meaning some success in Maui. We let opportunities slip away this year. We need to find a signature win or two outside the conference.

6) Anthony Grant needs to set the bar high and deliver. There won’t be any room for excuses next season, perhaps barring a looooong injury list, God forbid. Trey and Ryan aside, this is HIS team. He’s had two go-rounds in the A-10 and knows the territory. I saw some smart coaching and some head-scratching stuff to boot, so the jury is still out. But in my opinion, his recruiting has been first-rate. Many disagree, but I also think he got about as much out of this year’s team as he could.

7) Finally, we have the chance to be much improved next year if all things click. I’m expecting not just an NCAA bid in 2019-2020 but, based on who will return the following season, a repeat in 2020-2021. It’s called sustainability. That will be the true test for the Flyers and for AG.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-23-2019), BeckysTXA (03-22-2019), ChrisInVenice (03-22-2019), Cityengr (03-23-2019), Flyer 86 (03-22-2019), John C. (03-22-2019), NorthwestFlyer (03-22-2019), OSU Flyer (03-24-2019), PalmBeachFlyer (03-22-2019), Swampy Meadows (03-22-2019), TX Flyer (03-22-2019)
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think you hit all the points...close thread.
Mad Props to TX Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Duquesne should be very good next year as well.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-23-2019), Viperstick (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
With Obi, I would expect the floor to be an NCAA bid even with an unexpected injury or two. If we can escape without the serious unexpected, I believe this team should find it’s way in to the top 25 and stay in or just outside for most of the conference season. There is too much talent and too many of the issues that plagued us in years 1-2 should be removed.

I do expect AG to have to deal with the team first attitude team wide, since there should be competition at each position and friends can become rivals overnight.

I personally don’t think any of the red shirts have to be better than advertised as most have been hyped or over-hyped already. We need 2-3 of them to be very solid, consistent contributors for this to be doable. To me that means being flexible, able to play different positions without a drop off in production- I.e. Anthony’s guys. If 2 or more are able to live up to their press clippings, watch out as something special may begin next year.

Without Obi we should still be expecting an NCAA bid from this squad. I say this based on what AG has been able to do offensively (his supposed area of weakness) in years 1-2 where most nights we had at most 3 offensive threats on the court at the same time and often only 2, I’m excited to see what he can do with a lot more options and talent on the team next year.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Marysville Flyer; 03-22-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Marysville. Larry Hansgen has already gone on record calling Ibi the best player currently on the team. If you add in Jordy, who was offered by Arizona, Baylor and LSU before going to Nebraska, and Chase you see talent that we’ve never had at one time at UD. I suspect that the transfer group more than held their own in practices against this year’s team.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 AM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I hope they become a top 100 type team next year as it will only help the A10.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Agree with most of what The Fly said.

The A10 is certainly on track to be alot better next year. Should be a multi at large bid league. Lots of teams returning their core players. Nobody brings in anywhere near what Dayton is bringing in, while also (hopefully) bringing back our core that just finished 3rd.

Also, SLU loses Foreman to graduation (along with Bess and Isabel). French will be a junior. He's a load and Goodwin is good but they will need to hit some homeruns with recruiting this spring or they should regress from this year. This was SLUs year.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:46 AM

The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Agree. Just wasn’t going to do a team-by-team analysis. I see the Dukes as top three next year. They return everybody and had tons of size sitting out this season.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wallage View Post
Also, SLU loses Foreman to graduation (along with Bess and Isabel). French will be a junior. He's a load and Goodwin is good but they will need to hit some homeruns with recruiting this spring or they should regress from this year. This was SLUs year.
My bad. I meant Goodwin but typed Foreman.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
I’m among those whose expectation is an NCAA bid next year. I like what we have coming back and look forward to seeing what the transfers bring to the table. But we have some issues to resolve and several big challenges.

1) I feel pretty confident Obi will be back. We NEED him back. But if for any reason he’s MIA next year, everything changes. It’s not overstating things to say he’s our mojo, and the team will be built around him.

2) With the exception of Chatman, the transfers (and a healthy Matos) have to be better — not as good, but BETTER — than advertised. Rodney was productive at Chattanooga, but none of the others saw enough court action to really prove anything other than in spurts (for example, Jordy against Kansas ... once). Yes, they add sorely needed depth, but we need more than warm bodies. We need rebounds, blocks, steals, defensive intensity, etc.

3) We need much better perimeter shooting, either in the form of a Sean McNeill, a rejuvenated Jordan Davis or, again, a transfer to step up and surprise us with superior three-point efficiency.

4) We need to treat the A-10 like the beast it will be. We sometimes act as if Dayton is the only team that will be better. The reality is VCU returns everyone but Gilmore, a non-starter. Davidson returns Gundmundsson, Brady and several others. Rhody has Dowtin, Langevine and Russell back. Foreman and French will be seniors at St. Louis. This will not be the cakewalk some envision.

5) We need a fast start in the non-con, meaning some success in Maui. We let opportunities slip away this year. We need to find a signature win or two outside the conference.

6) Anthony Grant needs to set the bar high and deliver. There won’t be any room for excuses next season, perhaps barring a looooong injury list, God forbid. Trey and Ryan aside, this is HIS team. He’s had two go-rounds in the A-10 and knows the territory. I saw some smart coaching and some head-scratching stuff to boot, so the jury is still out. But in my opinion, his recruiting has been first-rate. Many disagree, but I also think he got about as much out of this year’s team as he could.

7) Finally, we have the chance to be much improved next year if all things click. I’m expecting not just an NCAA bid in 2019-2020 but, based on who will return the following season, a repeat in 2020-2021. It’s called sustainability. That will be the true test for the Flyers and for AG.
French will be a junior and Foreman is gone. Goodwin will be a junior for St Louis

otherwise on point and I agree

I think Duquesne could have it's best team in the A10 era too.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Wallage View Post
Agree with most of what The Fly said.

The A10 is certainly on track to be alot better next year. Should be a multi at large bid league. Lots of teams returning their core players. Nobody brings in anywhere near what Dayton is bringing in, while also (hopefully) bringing back our core that just finished 3rd.

I'd assume Ford would be active on the grad transfer market again this year

They've got a top 10 JUCO coming on the guard/wing.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
I'm excited to see a more up tempo style of play hopefully. I also have a feeling Jordan Davis is going to put it all together next year, he has the potential.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Browns View Post
I'm excited to see a more up tempo style of play hopefully. I also have a feeling Jordan Davis is going to put it all together next year, he has the potential.
Jordan’s role should be interesting because Watson is likely to be the starting 2 guard. I hope he proves because he regressed a bit this year.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:57 PM
General

Originally Posted by Browns View Post
AG has been consistently slow tempo wise according to KenPom

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Jordan’s role should be interesting because Watson is likely to be the starting 2 guard. I hope he proves because he regressed a bit this year.
Chatman didn't come here to be a bench player. I don't think AG would have taken him if he didn't think if he could't play alongside Crutcher

If Chatman earns they could start PGs
Old 03-22-2019, 03:03 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I would not be surprised to see Chatman beat out Crutcher for point guard. He is a better on-ball defender than Jalen. I see Ibi starting at the two-guard. Either Davis or Cohill will be odd man out.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Nice post, Fly. Here is how Jablonski sees things:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...HPPS6ffwQhsXK/

I'm confident Obi will be back, FWIW. He still has a bit of work to do to be NBA-ready.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (03-22-2019), The Fly (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
AG has been consistently slow tempo wise according to KenPom

Chatman didn't come here to be a bench player. I don't think AG would have taken him if he didn't think if he could't play alongside Crutcher

If Chatman earns they could start PGs
I like Chatman as well, but Watson is a really good player and probably the best guard on the team.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM
General

I like Chatman as well, but Watson is a really good player and probably the best guard on the team.
I think we could see Crutcher, Chatman and Watson starting
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM
General

TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Watson could definitely play the three.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-22-2019), OSU Flyer (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
What the past two years teams have missed is a double threat underneath. That was surprising this year once Obi came on because it was as if Cunningham regressed. Perhaps he was playing with an injury which never was revealed. At the beginning of the year Cunningham was being double teamed each time he got the ball but with Obi's arrival the double team should have eased off. Part of the offensive falloff by Cunningham can be assigned to the failure of the two guard to make open shots and force the defense to play honest. But this should not have affected Cunningham's rebounding which also fell off.

I would expect that a bigger center could help relieve pressure on Obi. In the Duquesne game in Pittsburgh he was being tripled teamed each time he got the ball down low. With an honest second option down low this will be difficult to do next year. Jordy need not be all world he just needs to be a presence underneath and able to make a layup to keep the defense honest when it tries to guard Obi.

If the Flyers must go short to defend a quicker team then yes I could see a three guard offense but otherwise I would believe a two guard offense is the best designed to allow Obi to strut his stuff. If you have a potential pro on your team you highlight him and let him carry your team.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 PM
General

Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
What the past two years teams have missed is a double threat underneath. That was surprising this year once Obi came on because it was as if Cunningham regressed. Perhaps he was playing with an injury which never was revealed. At the beginning of the year Cunningham was being double teamed each time he got the ball but with Obi's arrival the double team should have eased off. Part of the offensive falloff by Cunningham can be assigned to the failure of the two guard to make open shots and force the defense to play honest. But this should not have affected Cunningham's rebounding which also fell off.

I would expect that a bigger center could help relieve pressure on Obi. In the Duquesne game in Pittsburgh he was being tripled teamed each time he got the ball down low. With an honest second option down low this will be difficult to do next year. Jordy need not be all world he just needs to be a presence underneath and able to make a layup to keep the defense honest when it tries to guard Obi.

If the Flyers must go short to defend a quicker team then yes I could see a three guard offense but otherwise I would believe a two guard offense is the best designed to allow Obi to strut his stuff. If you have a potential pro on your team you highlight him and let him carry your team.
More outside shooting certainly would take pressure off

if Jordy/Obi can have a better dynamic than Josh/Obi for me at least is one of the interesting question marks going into next year
Old 03-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Brigadier General

Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I would not be surprised to see Chatman beat out Crutcher for point guard. He is a better on-ball defender than Jalen. I see Ibi starting at the two-guard. Either Davis or Cohill will be odd man out.
This very well may be true but I’m still not convinced we’ve really seen what Jalen can do defensively. There were a couple of games where things were a bit desperate late where he played very good D getting steals, forcing TOs etc.

Time will tell. Personally if RC earns the starting PG spot that is only good news for expectations - unless your monicker is udscott.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2019, 05:21 PM
General

Crutcher is a good PG but right now he's the best perimeter guy at attacking the basket and shooting

I could see him getting minutes off the ball to take advantage of his offensive abilities.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Crutcher is a good PG but right now he's the best perimeter guy at attacking the basket and shooting

I could see him getting minutes off the ball to take advantage of his offensive abilities.
Maybe the best of this year’s team, but I don’t think he will be the best on next year’s team.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Brigadier General

Since we are dancing around it - my ‘way too soon to have an opinion’ opinion is

Crutch
Ibi
Ryan
Obi
Jordy

I’m gonna enjoy golf for awhile though before I worry any more about this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:23 PM
General

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Since we are dancing around it - my ‘way too soon to have an opinion’ opinion is

Crutch
Ibi
Ryan
Obi
Jordy

I’m gonna enjoy golf for awhile though before I worry any more about this.
Posted via Mobile Device
This looks like a very competitive lineup to me. I like the two bigs in there together, especially given how we have been schooled on offensive rebounds lately. There is one other caveat - the kid from Sinclair Community College, Sean McNeil, would be hard to keep out of the starting lineup if we are so fortunate to woo him to UD.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
What am I looking forward to next year? Let me count the ways:

1) There will be far fewer “bad matchups” next year, simply because we’ll have 12-13 players available, at a vast range of heights and weights, with a vast range of skills. The other team plays a 4-guard lineup? No problem. Ibi or Jhery plays the 3, Chip or Trey plays the 4, and Obi or Chase plays the 5. Big lineup? No problem. Jordy at Center, Obi or Chase at the 4, Chip or Trey at the 3, Ibi or Jhery at the 2, and Jalen and Rodney at the point. We can play fast or slow, depending on the matchup.

2) If a player is having an off night, we won’t need to play him just because “he’s all we got”. Jalen doesn’t have it? Put Rodney in. Obi’s struggling? Depending on the opponent, we can use anyone from Jordy on the big side to Trey on the small side. As I see it, the way the roster is currently made up, we’ll have 3 guys who can play Center, 5 who can play PF, at least 5 who can play SF, 5 who can play SG, and 2 guys with extensive experience at PG with 2 more who can play there in a pinch. Yes, it’s good to have options.

3) In 2018-19, we were possibly the least foul-prone team in D-I, simply because we didn’t have a deep enough bench to have fouls to give. Our opponents knew that, so many of them knew they could be more aggressive against us because they could go 9-10 deep, and we couldn’t. That led to more easy baskets for the opposition. Next year, we’ll go anywhere from 11-13 deep, with mostly proven D-I talent. That should mean more aggressive defense, which should mean more opponent turnovers, which should mean more easy baskets.

I could go on all night, but I’ll stop here. Suffice to say, if we won 21 with the short bench and relative lack of frontline muscle we had last year, then I’ll be very surprised and disappointed if we have less than 24 wins by the start of A10 Tourney play next March.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Graphicsguy (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
I think it’s probably unrealistic to think we go 11,12,13 deep in games (unless AG plans to implement 40 minutes of hell and press all game)

Will probably shake out a little “naturally” (transfers, academics, injuries,etc).

But I really wonder how AG will manage it. Does he prefer to go:

1) eight best? That seems how most teams play. Gives them a chance to get a good feel for each other.

2). Use a hockey like “two lines” approach (two “starting fives)

3). Or use a true deep rotation. Mixing and matching dependent on opposition/hot hands/etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2019, 11:32 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I’ve never played the game, and I’ve never coached it, but I have over 30 years of experience at managing people. All things equal, I think my preferred approach would be to play guys based on a combination of (a) the situational matchups that give us the greatest overall advantage, (b) the players who are most dedicated to helping the team win, and (c) the players who are playing best (fewest turnovers, best defense, best shooting, etc.). In no particular order.

Here’s a f’rinstance. We won the St. Joe’s game in part because of Cohill’s defense on Brown. But Brown is a player who relies on skill and finesse, so that was a good matchup for Cohill. By contrast, I suspect Cohill would have had a much tougher task trying to contain Bess of SLU, because strength is so much of Bess’s game. Matchups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2019, 03:18 AM

Thanked 3,138 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty simple. Havoc.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
Pretty simple. Havoc.
Issue here is how the game is called.

Aggressive 1-2-1-1 works. Unfortunately we don't have the personnel (yet) to run that. We also haven't had the depth.

If the game is called how they have been, on the wings with hand checks and contact, the havoc principles are dangerous. It is basically foul all the time and play aggressive because we know the refs aren't going to call one every trip down. If they are whistle happy...you are screwed.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
So many good ideas on how the Flyers should play. But most show a mid major mentality of having the other team dictate how the game is played and how the Flyers respond or can adapt to the various schemes thrown at them. There is a touch of an inferiority complex in the ideas. The Flyers are responding to , rather than creating the game environment.

But a great team does not let the other team dictate the rules of engagement. They do the dictating. This does not mean that in every game we should expect the Flyers to have their way but we would hope that in most games that the game is played the way the Flyers want.

So just because the Flyers may have the Players to go small and also the players to go big and the players to run and the players to play solid half court does not mean they do all these things equally. They can concentrate on one primary system and style of play and become extra proficient at it. While they also develop the secondary styles for those situations where the primary style of play is being stymied.

My preference is to go big, particularly in a mid major conference where bigs are such a premium. The opportunity to dominate the conference seems to be most likely if Flyers can force the other A-10 teams to play to a Flyer strength for which they lack an adequate response.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FrisbeeFlyer (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
I'm looking forward to next years use of the entire bench. Why?

- keep the team together, to keep the "the guys like each other", "chemistry", everyone is happy
- we have a large group of tested, "starting" players, players that have played tournaments
- so we can create our will on people, to play tough, non stop defense, to play "havoc" defense

I recommend we come up with a new name for "Havoc" ... this word means it is VCU's ... what is our own havoc? Lets call it "dogfight"? next year? Is there a better Flyer term to be used. There may be a more creative word, lets us it. But we need to stop giving homage to VCU ... lets stop calling our full tempo, man to man, "havoc".

Just a thought. Any other words, to use next year, for our tough defense?

Last edited by marco red eagle; 03-23-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 PM
General

Arkansas once referred to their defense as "40 minutes of hell." I thought that was quite telling!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by marco red eagle View Post

- keep the team together, to keep the "the guys like each other", "chemistry", everyone is happy
- we have a large group of tested, "starting" players, players that have played tournaments
- so we can create our will on people, to play tough, non stop defense, to play "havoc" defense

I recommend we come up with a new name for "Havoc" ... this word means it is VCU's ... what is our own havoc? Lets call it "dogflight"? next year? Is there a better Flyer term to be used. There may be a more creative word, lets us it. But we need to stop giving homage to VCU ... lets stop calling our full tempo, man to man, "havoc".

Shock and awe
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
marco red eagle (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 01:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Shock and awe
Posted via Mobile Device
How about Shocka and Awe? ;-)

Or, we could have a theme that plays off the Cradle of Powered Flight angle:
- Top Gun (no, the anti-firearm lobby wouldn’t allow it);
- Carpet Bombers (just so Buddy doesn’t become our spokesman);
- Aerial Assault (maybe too close to Flight Club?);

Something else? Just a few thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2019, 02:43 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend we come up with a new name for "Havoc" ... this word means it is VCU's ... what is our own havoc? Lets call it "dogfight"? next year? Is there a better Flyer term to be used. There may be a more creative word, lets us it. But we need to stop giving homage to VCU ... lets stop calling our full tempo, man to man, "havoc".

Rolling Thunder
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-23-2019), wes (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Here is what I am hoping for:

I thought we were too much of a "finesse team" this year. I want more of our guys shoving their guys around next year. I hope that our physically larger post players provide that next year. This goes hand-in-hand with better rebounding hopes that I have. Jordy is a big dude. That is the kind of size we we lacked this year.

I want a more aggressive defense. My theory is that we did not foul often because Grant was asking guys to sit back and conserve energy and precious fouls with our short bench.

I believe the Ibi hype because it is coming from Larry. He sees lots and lots of the practices, etc. He is not often misleading on calls like this. My bet is that Ibi is really good.

Last edited by Fudd; 03-23-2019 at 04:02 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-24-2019), redbengal (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Issue here is how the game is called.

Aggressive 1-2-1-1 works. Unfortunately we don't have the personnel (yet) to run that. We also haven't had the depth.

If the game is called how they have been, on the wings with hand checks and contact, the havoc principles are dangerous. It is basically foul all the time and play aggressive because we know the refs aren't going to call one every trip down. If they are whistle happy...you are screwed.
VCU didn't even really run the old school HAVOC at the end of the Shaka era

The change in rules to put an emphasis on handing checking by the defense changed their approach

Good article on the subject, talking about how the NCAA rule changes effected pressure defense

Pearl says rules dictate he can't press full-time anymore

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...more/98817194/
Old 03-23-2019, 04:43 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
This years team did not execute well at the end of games. Most of our players can not create their own shot off the dribble. When the ball is 20 feet from basket with less than 10 secs. on the clock, not much good happens. Since six of our players return, I would expect more of the same next year, if these same players start and play the most minutes. But unlike the last few years, next year we have some options coming on board. Next year I hope we find 1. better rebounding,2. improved three point shooting and 3. fewer unforced turnovers.

Obviously, Obi and Crutcher will play significant minutes. Mikesell is solid but not exceptional. Davis does not penetrate and three point shooting is erratic. I believe that Cohill and Trey are complimentary role players. Therefore I think two spots are open for the taking by the new players. Whose those two are I don't know. I' glad we at least have options for next year.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Crutch
Ibi
Ryan
Obi
Jordy

Posted via Mobile Device
I favor this lineup as well. But I hope fans don't expect for Jordy to replace Josh's production. We need intimidation, rebounds , and defense from him. That would help. Josh presented us with a ton of easy buckets that will be a challenge to replicate.

AG needs to set the bar high. Our A10 showing in this year's NCAA's validated how much we drank our own bathwater in the A10. The top 4 seeds really showed nothing. Making some noise in the 2020 NCAA's is going to take someone to be head and shoulders above the rest next A10 season. We looked this year like a one and done league.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (03-23-2019), The Fly (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:19 PM
General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I favor this lineup as well. But I hope fans don't expect for Jordy to replace Josh's production. We need intimidation, rebounds , and defense from him. That would help. Josh presented us with a ton of easy buckets that will be a challenge to replicate.

AG needs to set the bar high. Our A10 showing in this year's NCAA's validated how much we drank our own bathwater in the A10. The top 4 seeds really showed nothing. Making some noise in the 2020 NCAA's is going to take someone to be head and shoulders above the rest next A10 season. We looked this year like a one and done league.
Jordy is going to be interesting. Unless, I'm forgetting some one he should be the biggest guy on the floor by a good bit in the A10
Old 03-23-2019, 05:29 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Jordy is going to be interesting. Unless, I'm forgetting some one he should be the biggest guy on the floor by a good bit in the A10
I hope the biggest and "most productive" guy on the floor in the A10.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Jordy, Ibi, Rodney and Chase will get substantial minutes next year. Add in Matos and you have what could be a very good starting five.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:51 PM

Maybe the best of this year’s team, but I don’t think he will be the best on next year’s team.
Whether it is him or another, for us to be better, one of them has to be better.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Jordy, Ibi, Rodney and Chase will get substantial minutes next year. Add in Matos and you have what could be a very good starting five.
So Obi wouldn’t start over any of those guys? I call troll alert...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
So Obi wouldn’t start over any of those guys? I call troll alert...
Posted via Mobile Device
I never said that. Just reiterating what Obi stated. We have two starting fives. I think Obi will start but we could start any of these guys and do well.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 PM
General

With Coach Grant's emphasis on defense Matos will get some major minutes I think
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-23-2019), The Fly (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:50 PM
General of the Air Force

With Coach Grant's emphasis on defense Matos will get some major minutes I think
I’ve also heard that Chatman is an aggressive defender. With Davis and Cohill already being solid defenders, I can foresee a lot of ball pressure on the opposing PG, and a lot of overplaying the passing lanes, trying to get some fast break opportunities. And with extra fouls to give at every position next year, our guys won’t need to play nearly as cautiously as they have in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device
OSU Flyer (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
I never said that. Just reiterating what Obi stated. We have two starting fives. I think Obi will start but we could start any of these guys and do well.

Obi playing the 4 would give teams all kinds of problems. If we have a 5 that can clean up offensive rebounds... Josh and Obi never really sinked well to dominate.

Obi has shown the ability to have touch outside of around the rim.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (03-24-2019), NorthwestFlyer (03-25-2019), OSU Flyer (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:11 PM
Brigadier General

I love Josh and will miss him but I had always thought he was going to be very difficult to replace. I don’t feel that way anymore as I really feel like his was mostly ordinary for most of the conference season for whatever reason.

Jordy played in the BIG so A10 size should not be an issue. He brings things to the table that Josh couldn’t so I see no reason he can’t ‘replace’ Josh in the middle in his way and provide as much as Josh to the total effort. I guess the only reason I have some reservation is that I’ve heard nothing about his progress since he’s been here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 AM
General of the Air Force

From the DDN this morning “any of the four transfers who sat out this season...are capable of earning a starting role”.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Let’s face it a lack of effort or consistency will get you moved off the starting 5 . Next year will probably be to most competitive roster we have had in quite a few years as far as depth goes ,and besides Obi I would not pencil anyone into the starting 5 because the results in practice and games will iron that out !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanked 1,170 Times in 508 Posts
MD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Bunker Busters!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shwag33 View Post
Obi playing the 4 would give teams all kinds of problems. If we have a 5 that can clean up offensive rebounds... Josh and Obi never really sinked well to dominate.

Obi has shown the ability to have touch outside of around the rim.
I agree that Obi and Josh were for some reason not very complimentary players. I think it was because Josh was undersized as a center and did not really eat space in the middle. He was not a threat in the paint against a legit quality big man. Obi, this year, was a bit light in the britches to be a dominating back to the basket guy. That might change as he develops.

I think Jordy is exactly the kind of player that will compliment Obi. I think he is going to draw the most physical big defender on the other team and take-on the back to the basket role for the team. He does not have huge hops. He is a wide-body with a pretty good post game. I think that the physical capitol that the other team will spend defending Jordy in the post will open things up for Obi.

Ibi looks like a nice 3pt shooter. Does anyone have any insight on that aspect of his game?

Last edited by Fudd; 03-24-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 01:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by soccergod View Post
Let’s face it a lack of effort or consistency will get you moved off the starting 5 . Next year will probably be to most competitive roster we have had in quite a few years as far as depth goes ,and besides Obi I would not pencil anyone into the starting 5 because the results in practice and games will iron that out !
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep. Next year, we’ll probably have our most competitive roster since the Elite Eight season, when we were 2-deep at every position by Tournament time. Hopefully, next year’s end result will be similar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glen Clark (03-24-2019)