UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Red face I feel for DD

The poor guy tries so hard, but he just can't get out of his own way. He missed 3 of the easiest layups that he tailor made for himself. He shot a 3pt that went half way down and out. Tried a mid-range jumper that for all the world looked good until it missed everything.
Got yanked by Coach for a silly needless foul. No matter how hard he tries, he becomes a mistake waiting to happen.

Made two nice free throws near the end.

And his teammates are his best fan base through all that. True Team. Sigh.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-07-2017), JimBo (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), TommyGola (01-07-2017), Whacker (01-07-2017)
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't give up on Baby D!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (01-07-2017), cobra8u (01-07-2017), NYCFLYER (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), TommyGola (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:19 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I've been defending this guy for the past 2 seasons. I can continue to wait for him to shoot more consistently. I can come to terms that he's going to have at least one traveling call per game to stop the Flyers' momentum. I can come to terms that he's going to have one or two totally unnecessary fouls to again stop our momentum. But when it comes to stupid, lazy bounce passes at the end of games while holding desperately to a small lead, in the most important game of the year mind you, I cannot defend him any longer. It's like he's not trying to correct his mistakes, bad habits nor his brainfarts. I'm very frustrated with him.

And seriously, I've been his biggest supporter on this site. I've about run out of all patience.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-07-2017), jack72 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Interesting that most if not all of his struggles have come offensively. He is a MUCH better defender this season. I was actually very impressed with his on ball and off the ball effort and performance tonight.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-07-2017), Cityengr (01-07-2017), cobra8u (01-07-2017), Gazoo (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), Tony T 71 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:23 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Rhode Island news summary--Ha Ha Hurley !

Oh boy, some of you Hurley fans are going to love this one, as he throws his stars under the bus:

http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...ally-past-rams

Classy move Coach.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:23 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
He seems to have a pretty fragile psyche. That's why I try to build the guy up when I can, to the degree that I can. He seems to have worked really hard on his defense, because you can see him fight through screens like a man possessed, and when an opponent sets up to take him 1-on-1, you can see that "Oh, no, you don't!" look in his eyes. But on offense, it's as if he doesn't know his role. Hope he can regain his mojo between now & next year. IMHO, we're going to need 8-10 a game from him.

Keep the faith, Baby D!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
Interesting that most if not all of his struggles have come offensively. He is a MUCH better defender this season. I was actually very impressed with his on ball and off the ball effort and performance tonight.
All except that stupid foul he gets with the shot clock running out, but yes, he's certainly improving on D. But he's a flippin junior now, he needs to produce on both ends of the court.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:30 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
None of the three layups were even close to going in. He is Charmin soft trying to finish.

I do feel for him, because if he would finish the layups he would be having a decent year. He is defending much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
DD has turned himself in to a VERY good defender and is giving max effort. Yes, it sucks that he cant get anything going on offense, but he is earning his minutes on defense. Also had 2 big free throws last night.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 AM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I said coming into the year that he was our worst defender by a long shot. He probably is still our weakest all-around defender (Mikesell is not great on-ball but makes up for it with great positioning and team defense) but he's clearly dedicated himself to getting better. I give him credit for the improvement.

Now why can't he put the dang ball through the hoop??

He's totally in his own head right now. Dumb plays, missed layups, airballed close up shots. I'll bet he's a terror in open gym but he's thinking too much.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
If you think he is our weakest all around defender you arent watching the games.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:45 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
If you think he is our weakest all around defender you arent watching the games.
And there it is, it's officially a message board.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM
General

IF YOU THINK DD ISN'T OUR WORST DEFENDER, YOU'RE NOT WATCHING THE GAMES!

There, I said it louder and underlined it, so my logic and facts are better.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Miller loves DD's defense, but he has to be real close to putting Crosby ahead of him. The fact he has to relief Scooch may be the only thing holding that move back.

Sometimes DD muffs the ball, slowing the offense. He makes some passes that are just head shakers. He is as bad or worse than Kurt on layups, and on and on. We were playing 4 on 5 on offense, at times last night. The guy has great skills and size, but just flat out goes brain dead at random times. Hard to give up on that, but some guys never overcome their yips.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (01-07-2017), Smitty10 (01-07-2017), UDTradition (01-10-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:40 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Archie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really nice
Whatever you want to say. He usually has more turnovers than made shots these days. His fouls are rally killers. His defensive effort has gotten better, but he still misses cuts and slips.

He is pretty worthless these days, cannot wait for Cooke to return. This guy should not be on the floor in the final 10 minutes ever.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I still feel Mikesell is the worst defender on the team. His weaknesses are being hidden a bit by playing him at the four spot. Whenever the opponent stretches the floor and isolates him, they race around him to the basket. He is also weak on pick and rolls. When he can stay around and defend near the paint he is OK( as long as he does not give up too much height).
UD is hiding his weakness really well night

DD is a much better defender than Crosby right now. He has long arms and is intense. His lack body strength hurts him hen he has to fight through picks. I have seen DD affect passing lanes and create steals this year.

If his shot ever starts to fall, things would really look up for him.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (01-07-2017), m21eagle45 (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
The phantom fouls that were called on Pollard and (forget the other) that wiped out Darrell's 3 and a 2 were the calls that upset me the most last night. He should have had 7 points last night, instead he gets 5 points waved off by bad,bad calls. Of all the players on the court it could have happened to, it had to be him...I'm still upset.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-07-2017), Chris R (01-07-2017), cobra8u (01-07-2017), fuz_forward (01-09-2017), Glen Clark (01-07-2017), MrFlyerFanatic (01-09-2017), NYCFLYER (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 AM
General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I still feel Mikesell is the worst defender on the team. His weaknesses are being hidden a bit by playing him at the four spot. Whenever the opponent stretches the floor and isolates him, they race around him to the basket. He is also weak on pick and rolls. When he can stay around and defend near the paint he is OK( as long as he does not give up too much height).

DD is a much better defender than Crosby right now. He has long arms and is intense. His lack body strength hurts him hen he has to fight through picks. I have seen DD affect passing lanes and create steals this year.

What I see is the other team looking around and saying "Mikesell is guarding (insert player), take him 1 on 1!" Then when they do Mikesell is doing an admirable job. He's seriously retreating and making people shoot over him. Unlike a Cooke or a KD who is right up in the grill. Long arms are saving him on the jumper. Then on team defense he's doing a very good job. But the pick and roll he is not defending well at all.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Major

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
IF YOU THINK DD ISN'T OUR WORST DEFENDER, YOU'RE NOT WATCHING THE GAMES!

There, I said it louder and underlined it, so my logic and facts are better.
Great job man! Brilliant post. 👎 My bad, I thought message boards were for interjecting your opinion.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:21 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Great job man! Brilliant post. �� My bad, I thought message boards were for interjecting your opinion.
If you bold and underline your opinion it becomes fact.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
One positive thing I have noticed that DD is now doing is that when a call doesn't go his way he flashes a big grin and claps rather than pouting like he used to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyhi524 (01-07-2017), fuz_forward (01-09-2017), SeasonTicketFan (01-07-2017), TommyGola (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:27 AM

I guess the above is an opinion, but disguised as an attack on the poster? I'm ok reading either one on here, but call it like it is.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
One positive thing I have noticed that DD is now doing is that when a call doesn't go his way he flashes a big grin and claps rather than pouting like he used to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
He still looks at the bench looking for validation. Not a good idea with Archie at that moment.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:31 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post

I agree 100% with your take on Mikesell. He still looks like he is playing on skates when his man post him up. He also still struggles keeping faster players in front of him off the dribble. The only this that is really saving him on defense so far is his high basketball IQ and his effort. He always seems to at least be in the right position. He just needs to get stronger in the post to not give up so much ground, and work on moving his feet when guarding faster players on the perimeter.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Want to see crappy team D look no further than Sam. Guy had three straight defensive possessions where he wasn't in position to help on easy layups. His minutes are coming because he can hit a 3 ball consistently.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-07-2017), Gazoo (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:48 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Want to see crappy team D look no further than Sam. Guy had three straight defensive possessions where he wasn't in position to help on easy layups. His minutes are coming because he can hit a 3 ball consistently.
Bingo. Sam's minutes have fallen off because he gets exposed on D. Mikesell has a lot of work to do. Baby D's defense seems to have improved as the season has gone. Hopefully that will help his confidence and the O.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-07-2017), shocka43 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
He's a train wreck. Lowest fg % on team. Lowest 3pt % on team. Made 6, 2 point baskets all year. Unable to finish at the rim, a spot u shooter who lost his touch two years ago. He plays soft, timed SCARED. Never seen anything like it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Archie MillerLite (01-07-2017), Flyer 86 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
He's a train wreck. Lowest fg % on team. Lowest 3pt % on team. Made 6, 2 point baskets all year. Unable to finish at the rim, a spot u shooter who lost his touch two years ago. He plays soft, timed SCARED. Never seen anything like it.
Well, the worst 3 point shooter on the team is shooting better than Scoochie and KD and is only .004% from being better than Mikesell and Cooke. But let's not get facts in the way of a good story, right?

Last edited by m21eagle45; 01-07-2017 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:31 PM
General

The one good thing is that the defense still has respect for him. If they were leaving him wide open and he wasn't hitting 3s, this team would be in big trouble when he's in there.

But honestly, if we as fans can see that he looks scared out there, timid I guess, isn't it a foregone conclusion that his opponents pick up on it?

It drives me nuts, this guy had as soft and smooth as shot I've seen, from outside and in his high school highlights his touch on floaters was magnificent, Vee Sanford like. Where has it all gone? I think his body build up might have messed up his touch.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,598 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
What I dont get is when SM gets beat defensively (which is all too common), AM is quick to pull. DD takes a bad shot, makes a bad TO, or is just all around cold and AM leaves him in. I realize this may be due to CC not healthy and we are short at guard...
Old 01-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Darrell is quick on his feet on defense. He has gotten the message that if he keeps up the defensive intensity, he will get minutes in spite of all the other crap that goes on with him near the ball on offense. Sam just isn't capable of defensive intensity. He looks like a center and he is tall. Got that going for him.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 PM
General

Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
What I dont get is when SM gets beat defensively (which is all too common), AM is quick to pull. DD takes a bad shot, makes a bad TO, or is just all around cold and AM leaves him in. I realize this may be due to CC not healthy and we are short at guard...
Coaches feel, rightly so imo, that if a player is messing up on offense, it's not because they aren't hustling or giving 100 percent, and there's nothing to be gained by sitting them, but when they mess up on D, it is lack of both and they need to be pulled.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
This is a defense first team....which it should be and has to be.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I've been hard on DD all year. He is way too soft mentally and physically on offense. That said, I think the turnaround for him has begun. I'm impressed with his defensive effort which is the beginning of his mental toughness growth. He needs to transfer the toughness he has shown fighting through screens to taking the ball strong to the bucket.

As vocal as I've been about his deficiencies, I've also said we need him. He needs to take the ball to the hole strong a couple times and draw some FT's. Nothing can get a shooter going better than hitting some FT's. Playing at UMass and Duquesne are a perfect laboratory for DD to gain confidence. I'm pulling for him
Old 01-07-2017, 07:00 PM

I sure can't argue with the three moves he made to get to the rim. He just needs to flush it.
And his one 3pt shot did everything but go in.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I sure can't argue with the three moves he made to get to the rim. He just needs to flush it.
And his one 3pt shot did everything but go in.
His second one was waved off when the ref made a very questionable call for an illegal pick against Kendall.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Archie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really nice
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Spot on, I see a headcase and it's basically 4 on 5 when he is on the floor. When he dribble at the top of the key I almost pass out.

Can't wait till someone passes the Poor Man's Jimmy Binnie on the depth chart.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Some of you all will call me crazy for this idea but I think DD needs to see a Sports Psychologist to work on some visualization for his offensive game. He appears to be so scared and timid to finish at the rim it seems like its a mental block for him. At this point it couldn't hurt because it's obvious that his struggles have gotten into his head and normal coaching techniques haven't worked.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:46 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Effort & Hustle

I saw a guy contribute last night - part of a total team effort.
UD Pride posters sitting on their a$$e$ at the keyboard? Not so much . . .

Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buick-Flyer (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
I saw a guy contribute last night - part of a total team effort.
UD Pride posters sitting on their a$$e$ at the keyboard? Not so much . . .[/I]
I don't think anyone is questioning his effort or defense, but it is obvious that his offensive game has not been good. Everyone here wants to see the DD from his freshman year on the offensive end of the court. I'm pretty sure he is probably as frustrated as everyone here is.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Archie MillerLite View Post
Spot on, I see a headcase and it's basically 4 on 5 when he is on the floor. When he dribble at the top of the key I almost pass out.

Can't wait till someone passes the Poor Man's Jimmy Binnie on the depth chart.
Jimmy Binnie couldnt guard anyone. DD is a good defender and turning in to a great defender.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe he will get it going on the road. Last night you could hear the crowd every time he would shoot, and I am sure DD hears it, and it is in his head.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
If I recall DD was instrumental in the win @ Dukes last year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Buick-Flyer will become famous soon enoughBuick-Flyer will become famous soon enough
I like DD and I expect him to be a major part of any success the team has this season.
Mad Props to Buick-Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Bingo. Sam's minutes have fallen off because he gets exposed on D. Mikesell has a lot of work to do. Baby D's defense seems to have improved as the season has gone. Hopefully that will help his confidence and the O.
It's Chip Hare all over again.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't DD make like 19 three point shots in a row his freshman year? (or did I dream that?)

19 three point makes IN A ROW. That's not "luck." That's not a fluke. That's talent. It's in there somewhere...
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
We saw Darrell as a dam good spot up shooter his Freshman year. Why? Because that was his job...he knew it.

Over the last two seasons, he's been trying to change his game. He wants to be an all around basketball player, not just a shooter. His defense has gotten better, and as far as offense, you can see that he has the right idea in his mind. It's just the execution that is lacking.

Some fans want to see freshman Darrell. I think Archie is seeing the development he is looking for because if Archie wanted Darrell to be only a spot up shooter...he would be.

I don't know what Darrell needs to get everything to click, but if it does, we're all going to be in for a show.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udflyerhoops2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (01-07-2017), Gazoo (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buick-Flyer View Post
I like DD and I expect him to be a major part of any success the team has this season.

I tend to agree. I think DD will be an integral part of this team by season's end. #trueteam
Old 01-08-2017, 10:23 AM

It's not hard to see what could be with DD. As pointed out his Freshman shooting was out of this galaxy. He has good length, great hops, quick reflexes.

Somewhere in that 4 star body is a good basketball player. Maybe the point of Arch looking for a more rounded player is where the disconnect in his shooting psych happened. Instead of adding versatility to his 3pt shooting, DD lost the 3pt formula and has made pedestrian progress in other facets, but also lost confidence. I dunno, there still is time. The most important part of this year's schedule is ahead of us. Just finishing those 3 deftly carved out layups against URI would have really helped forget the turnovers and silly fouls. The 3 ball that went in and out would have been icing.

So basically he has mucho opportunities this year and next, to still be the player he and Arch and we fans hope he will be.

I'll say this about Archie Miller. When he commits development to a recruit, that commitment means 110% until the kid graduates and walks out the door. Let's face it, few of us have that resolve when the recruit turns out to be less than advertised. Now we all know there are a few players who have given up on themselves and quit, but Archie did not. Who else would have stuck with a player who went 0-4 with 3 TO's and 4 personal fouls in maybe the biggest game of the year-to-date.

True Team.
FlyerGuyer (01-08-2017), Gazoo (01-08-2017), jack72 (01-08-2017), shocka43 (01-08-2017), Whacker (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 AM
2nd Lieutenant

GET him out of the rotation, give him a week off, do something. Because as of right now it is worthless to put him on the floor. It creates a 4-5 situation on offense every time. I admit his effort was better this week on the defensive end but that was not the case the first 6 weeks of the season. We will see if he can keep that defensive effort up in the coming weeks or it was just a headcase fluke of him hustling.

It's really sad to watch, no confidence at all. I'm saying it like it is, he is helping us zero when he's on the floor. You guys can pick out one instance here or there to make you feel good about yourselves for defending him but at the end of the day we all long for freshman DD, not this has been DD.

I hope he returns to form, but eventually you have to move on the sample size is larger towards the negative than positive. Cut his minutes, give him some time off and let him figure it out when he doesn't hurt us during a game. If they can win without Cc and Jc they can surely give BABY (and I stress BABY) D a breather.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Staff Writer

With Charles still out who do you propose Archie gives DD's minutes to while he sits for a week?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 11:53 AM
2nd Lieutenant

UD B8BEE has a spectacular aura aboutUD B8BEE has a spectacular aura aboutUD B8BEE has a spectacular aura about
As strong and aggressive as CC is when he goes to the basket, DD is just the opposite.
He does not keep his chin focused on the rim and ignore the defenders. He is worried about the contact and how he is going to land. Granted CC is now paying the price for his aggressiveness but that is how the game is played now days.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=springborofan;478459]I've been hard on DD all year. He is way too soft mentally and physically on offense. That said, I think the turnaround for him has begun. I'm impressed with his defensive effort which is the beginning of his mental toughness growth. He needs to transfer the toughness he has shown fighting through screens to taking the ball strong to the bucket.

As vocal as I've been about his deficiencies, I've also said we need him. He needs to take the ball to the hole strong a couple times and draw some FT's. Nothing can get a shooter going better than hitting some FT's. Playing at UMass and Duquesne are a perfect laboratory for DD to gain confidence. I'm pulling for him.

I concur with Springborofan. I concur with CTime about the sports psychologist. The body drives the brain. The brain drives the body. In the short term, Archie needs to motivate and instill confidence in baby "D". Clearly, he is having trouble with building confidence inside himself. You can't coach every player the same. Some guys, you can be rough on and it helps to push them. Others, criticism makes them shrink. Trust goes to Archie and staff to help him. We're all pulling for him. Life goes in cycles. He's in a cycle where a little fatherly guidance can change everything.

In the long term, his skinny body is driving his mind. In the off season, he needs to become a better player at the dinner table. He needs to go on the "Team Buckley" diet plan. Pizza, spaghetti, capocolo, prosciutto, tiramisu, gelato and BEER. Look what its done for me! I'm at 200 pounds. It'll do the same for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I am confident that Baby D is doing all the right things in practice.... effort wise and skill wise .... or Archie would not be giving him the minutes that he is getting. I also think he is close to making serious progress.....
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;478534]
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post

In the long term, his skinny body is driving his mind. In the off season, he needs to become a better player at the dinner table. He needs to go on the "Team Buckley" diet plan. Pizza, spaghetti, capocolo, prosciutto, tiramisu, gelato and BEER. Look what its done for me! I'm at 200 pounds. It'll do the same for him.

Posted via Mobile Device
Trying to picture that diet. You must be 5'6" tall and wide.

Swampy's point is well taken. Arch is in a rock-and-hard place situation. I would lean toward giving X more minutes. Everyone would have to play a few minutes longer.

I'm betting DD gets a long dose of game review each week. It's actually not punishment , but rather a great learning tool to be able to breakdown the game in slo mo.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
San Diego Flyer: I think you caught that I was joking a little bit about the diet plan. No joking about being over 200 pounds (I am fat, now). Sports medicine and sports psychology aside. Darrell Davis is very skinny and I think that he looks like he needs a good meal inside of him. If he was around me much, I'd be inviting him to dinner and that would surely fatten him up. He looks like Frank Sinatra. A skinny kid with lots of talent, who just needs a good meal.

But, we protest to much. Let's get to the lighter side. Hallelujah, we're 12-3 and 3-0 in the A10. Here is a clip from Jeff Buckley singing "Hallelujah". We should all be thankful.

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=ha...t=comsearch-t7
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Baby D is doing just fine. He's played very very good defense this year. He was better last year, and has improved a lot this year too. I'm about as big a Kyle Davis fan as there is, and Darrell played better defense than Kyle against Northwestern.

Yeah, he's got the yips about his shooting, but his overall game has improved a ton.

By the way, he is shooting a better % from three than Scoochie, who has made the most threes on the team this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-10-2017), jpk4ud (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,598 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I just don't know. Since this football game is out of hand, I did some digging to see if there were any stats to see how DD is doing on both ends of the court

Number of pts allowed per 100 possessions:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...l#per_poss::25

Number of pts scored per 100 possessions:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...l#per_poss::24

We all watch the games. We all want him to do well. I just dont think he is doing well, and the stats seem to back that up.

Thoughts?

Last edited by CoffeeCan; 01-09-2017 at 10:42 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Archie MillerLite (01-08-2017), FLYER5 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:49 PM
2nd Lieutenant

With Charles still out who do you propose Archie gives DD's minutes to while he sits for a week?
Posted via Mobile Device
A wet towel or Gruden
Old 01-08-2017, 04:14 PM
1st Lieutenant

mook has a spectacular aura aboutmook has a spectacular aura aboutmook has a spectacular aura about
Some of you are silly. Is he great on offense? No not right now. I think he's making the right decisions, just not finishing. As for defense, it is much improved. Some of the struggles numbers show I think could be because he tends to pick up the more difficult defensive assignment when he is in. If the other teams dude is 6 inches taller than Kyle it seems DD and CC will pick up the guy at least some of the time. DD may give up more bucket than CC and KD, but that doesn't mean he's out there whiffing.

He's got things to improve on, but Archie isn't playing him because he's a nice guy. Archie plays him as much as he does because he has to see something there. I give Archie the benefit of the doubt he knows what he is doing considering he's got a good chance of leading this team to 4th straight NCAA tourney and we are upset about being 12-3 after losing to solid teams (not that they are all world beaters).
Mad Props to mook For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 04:50 PM
General

I was really befuddled trying to figure out what coach told him to chase the high screen around 40 feet from the rim. What is he thinking out there on defense?? But, it wouldn't really matter any, the last couple of games have been horrible matchups, he's not playing big minutes against those teams.

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I think his body build up might have messed up his touch.
If adding 6 pounds is "body build" (168 last year, 174 this year) and messes up his touch, then he's already too much of a snowflake to ever play at this level. He needs to add 10 more pounds and won't be able to hit water from a boat if that's what the first 6 pounds did.

Originally Posted by Archie MillerLite View Post
Because as of right now it is worthless to put him on the floor.
You just simply can't give up on players, both for those players and for what it does to the psyche of the remaining players. I will forever be grateful that real coaches like our staff don't think this way or we would be playing 2 on 5 by the midpoint of every season since everyone would be benched for some reason.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 PM
General

If adding 6 pounds is "body build" (168 last year, 174 this year) and messes up his touch, then he's already too much of a snowflake to ever play at this level. He needs to add 10 more pounds and won't be able to hit water from a boat if that's what the first 6 pounds did.

Umm, maybe you missed last season, he was as frustrating then too. I'm talking about since his freshman season(since that's when we all loved him) If he was 168 last season, he was barely 150 the year before, now you're talking 24 lbs.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 AM

I was really befuddled trying to figure out what coach told him to chase the high screen around 40 feet from the rim. What is he thinking out there on defense?? But, it wouldn't really matter any, the last couple of games have been horrible matchups, he's not playing big minutes against those teams.
I am not even referring to getting hung up on the hedge. I am referring to when his guy was in a position as to where he was the first help defender that needed to rotate and he just stood there and watched from 8 feet away.

If you watch every other player, they hedge the screen until the ball handler is flattened out. Once that happens there is defensive rotation to pick up the hedge and they recover on the back end. Watch Ryan and X. They hedge and recover well and there isn't an issue. Sam flat out refuses to help in the paint when his guy is on the backside block and a guy drives from the wing. That is basic. But I also don't expect Archie to teach a defensive system that works for every player on the floor except Sam...and coach him to not do something that is expected of everyone else. Either you play defense like a team and everyone is on the same program, or you sit the bench. It's that simple. No coach in the history of basketball teaches team defense in a fashion that rules don't apply to certain players because of their effort. I guarantee that he can hedge and recover as well as all of the other guys, it's just a matter of doing it. You can't run drills all day in practice and not expect one player to do what is expected of all of the other guys. It doesn't work that way.

As you said, Sam's minutes are due to matchups. He is getting time on the floor because he can keep the D honest by being able to shoot from the perimeter. He isn't getting them because of his ability to matchup against offenses that move. In terms of defensive matchups, he gets minutes when they have a big that is ineffective offensively on the perimeter.

Sam has his moments, but there needs to be more of them at this point.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-11-2017), jack72 (01-09-2017), UDBaby (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Baby D is doing just fine. He's played very very good defense this year. He was better last year, and has improved a lot this year too. I'm about as big a Kyle Davis fan as there is, and Darrell played better defense than Kyle against Northwestern.

Yeah, he's got the yips about his shooting, but his overall game has improved a ton.

By the way, he is shooting a better % from three than Scoochie, who has made the most threes on the team this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Usually agree with your assessments THirt, but not this one. He's a junior and has had ample opportunities but is not trending anywhere near to even "just fine." And I'm just going by the eye test. Plenty of others on this board have run the sabre metrics to back it up. Can't single out one game (Northwestern) to make a point about his defense either, especially compared to KD.

A bad defensive game by KD shines like the star in the east, whereas the same can be said for DD's GOOD games.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:15 AM
General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Umm, maybe you missed last season, he was as frustrating then too. I'm talking about since his freshman season(since that's when we all loved him) If he was 168 last season, he was barely 150 the year before, now you're talking 24 lbs.
Um, maybe your Google is broken, but he was 168 as a freshman too.

http://daytonflyers.com/roster.aspx?...ball&roster=51

I am not even referring to getting hung up on the hedge. I am referring to when his guy was in a position as to where he was the first help defender that needed to rotate and he just stood there and watched from 8 feet away.

If you watch every other player, they hedge the screen until the ball handler is flattened out. Once that happens there is defensive rotation to pick up the hedge and they recover on the back end. Watch Ryan and X. They hedge and recover well and there isn't an issue. Sam flat out refuses to help in the paint when his guy is on the backside block and a guy drives from the wing. That is basic. But I also don't expect Archie to teach a defensive system that works for every player on the floor except Sam...and coach him to not do something that is expected of everyone else. Either you play defense like a team and everyone is on the same program, or you sit the bench. It's that simple. No coach in the history of basketball teaches team defense in a fashion that rules don't apply to certain players because of their effort. I guarantee that he can hedge and recover as well as all of the other guys, it's just a matter of doing it. You can't run drills all day in practice and not expect one player to do what is expected of all of the other guys. It doesn't work that way.

As you said, Sam's minutes are due to matchups. He is getting time on the floor because he can keep the D honest by being able to shoot from the perimeter. He isn't getting them because of his ability to matchup against offenses that move. In terms of defensive matchups, he gets minutes when they have a big that is ineffective offensively on the perimeter.

Sam has his moments, but there needs to be more of them at this point.
I'm in agreement with you, I was just pointing out a different defensive lapse I noticed. Against RI there were 2 times that the offensive man flattened out and Sam continued to chase him around the perimeter. He was clear out at half court and the rest of the team had to pick up his slack.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
While I agree with most of what you say I would not say he's fine....They are really going to need him going forward especially, again, when this team gets zoned up........A couple doses of quick 3's by DD gets them back into a man-to-man quickly..

He is taking the ball to the rim alot better, albeit he needs to finish, and he did hit a couple hoops friday that did not count but those fouls that waived off his buckets had zero to do with DD hitting those shots so he can take that out of the game as a positive...

He does get blasted on this board for each of his mistakes like a lazy pass or a travel but who the hell doesn't makes mistakes game in and game out on this team? As soon as he can get that 3 ball to drop again while also being aggressive taking the ball to the hole those mistakes will be forgotten. Silly for anybody to give up on the kid with probably close to 55-60 games left in his career..

Last edited by steve; 01-09-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Darryl is still facing the expectations we laid upon him as a frosh when he caught fire for a 6 game stretch and nailed 17 or 19 three pointers. Take away that stretch, and he was roughly a 35% shooter from long range his frosh season. After slumping horribly his sophomore season, while also dealing with a off the court family issues, he's back to shooting roughly 35% from long range again this year.

I think many of us envision that skinny kid who nailed everything during a certain stretch, then later nailed a bunch of threes against Oklahoma in the NCAA tournament, and just naturally assumed/hoped that further development would push him up to a consistent 40%+ long range shooter. For whatever reason, that just hasn't happened yet. I think its in him, and outwardly it appears that he lacks the confidence needed to get there. I see it every time he drives to the basket, he appears to be scared of contact, he releases the ball early, before the contact comes, rather than fighting thru the contact the way Kyle Davis does.

Outside of shooting, he's become a better defender, and while not a great rebounder, he's improved. All 3 seasons he's been roughly a 1:1 A:TO ratio guy. Ideally he has a Devin Oliver type jump in confidence his senior season, learns to attack the rim tougher and helps transition this squad after the 4 current seniors depart.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
LIBob (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 AM

I hope it clicks for him, because at the start of next year, without Kyle and Charles, we will be sending freshmen to the wars. With our need to win our OOC games DD's progress is our future.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Usually agree with your assessments THirt, but not this one. He's a junior and has had ample opportunities but is not trending anywhere near to even "just fine." And I'm just going by the eye test. Plenty of others on this board have run the sabre metrics to back it up. Can't single out one game (Northwestern) to make a point about his defense either, especially compared to KD.

A bad defensive game by KD shines like the star in the east, whereas the same can be said for DD's GOOD games.
Yeah, some of it is semantics... what does "just fine" mean? Probably different things to different folks. To me, it means he's somewhere between so-so and decent overall. I wouldn't say it means "good" but I'd say he's been decent this year, all things considered.

I mention the NW game because that was kind of a turning point in the season for him. He wasn't good in the St. Joe game and didn't get much time. But his defense in Chicago helped to spark us in our second half comeback. Since that game, he has played very well on defense, and earned his minutes. He's pretty quick and does a good job keeping his man in front of him. He's not quite as good as Kyle and Scoochie at digging in to help (those two are other-worldly at this), but he is good at it.

So for what we ask him to do, what we need him to do, I think he's just fine.

All that said, the guy needs to take it strong to the rack and finish some G D layups.

But again, he is shooting a better % from 3 on the season than Scoochie. That's just fine with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM
1st Lieutenant

bhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to behold
I've tried to be an optimist about DD for so long and I will continue to hope for the best, obviously. However, plain and simple, he's a liability. He lacks focus it seems and makes some very questionable decisions at least once or twice a game that result in a TO or two. People have already mentioned the missed bunnies...
Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
Quote today from Archie on DD:

“Darrell may not be shooting the ball as much or scoring, but he is as impactful as a player we have in his role. If you remember back to his freshman year, we could hardly keep him out here on defense. Now I look at Darrell and trust him as much as any guy on the team on defense. That’s a credit to who he is. I think he’ll start to get back into shooting the ball again as conference play keeps going, and I think he’s really going to be a guy who’s extra valuable to what we’re doing.”
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-10-2017), Flyer 86 (01-11-2017), Gazoo (01-11-2017), Glen Clark (01-10-2017), jack72 (01-10-2017), Smitty10 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 PM

After digesting all the comments about DD on this thread, including my own, I decided to go back today and replay the URI game with total focus on DD.

Conclusion--he really did more good things than I realized.

What he is lacking is instinctive moves while in possession of the ball. There is one possession late in the game where Scoochie came across mid-court looking to pass as he was being hounded. There in front of him was an open DD. Scoochie waived him off as if to say, "not at this point--rotate". And Darrell rotated clear to the opposite back corner so as to spot up and stay out of all the Seniors' way.

I took it as a mutual understanding that neither player wanted him to handle the ball in that critical situation. We have all observed how shaky he can be in those instances.

Now offsetting that, were numerous instances where he dove for the ball on the floor without hesitation, trying to make a play on defense. And constantly harassed his man.

It has also been mentioned that he fails to finish on drives. No argument there, but he really did put a nice stroke on the 3pt shot that went down and out. And he did make nice moves on 3 drives at good points in the game, only to panic and screw them up at the rim. He can fix that. They were all taken at moments that caught URI off guard and were good drives.

He made one nice pass for an assist, another that could have led to a bucket by the receiver chose not to shoot, and finally a great pass to Ryan who was fouled and went to the line. It would have been another assist.

One play Darrell made that was a head scratching moment was a foul on a URi inbounds play where he held the intended receiver from advancing toward the inbound
thrower clear down at OUR end of the floor. That one caught the wrath of Arch.

My point here is that everyone on the floor gets judged on the total body of work for whatever minutes they are on the court. Do the pluses outweigh the minuses?

My leanings are that he would have had a good game if he had just made the layups. The attaboys would have cancelled out the awsh*ts.

His effort was constant throughout his minutes on the court--particularly on defense.

True Team.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-10-2017), CvilleFlyer (01-10-2017), shocka43 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 PM
General

After digesting all the comments about DD on this thread, including my own, I decided to go back today and replay the URI game with total focus on DD.

Conclusion--he really did more good things than I realized.

What he is lacking is instinctive moves while in possession of the ball. There is one possession late in the game where Scoochie came across mid-court looking to pass as he was being hounded. There in front of him was an open DD. Scoochie waived him off as if to say, "not at this point--rotate". And Darrell rotated clear to the opposite back corner so as to spot up and stay out of all the Seniors' way.

I took it as a mutual understanding that neither player wanted him to handle the ball in that critical situation. We have all observed how shaky he can be in those instances.

Now offsetting that, were numerous instances where he dove for the ball on the floor without hesitation, trying to make a play on defense. And constantly harassed his man.

It has also been mentioned that he fails to finish on drives. No argument there, but he really did put a nice stroke on the 3pt shot that went down and out. And he did make nice moves on 3 drives at good points in the game, only to panic and screw them up at the rim. He can fix that. They were all taken at moments that caught URI off guard and were good drives.

He made one nice pass for an assist, another that could have led to a bucket by the receiver chose not to shoot, and finally a great pass to Ryan who was fouled and went to the line. It would have been another assist.

One play Darrell made that was a head scratching moment was a foul on a URi inbounds play where he held the intended receiver from advancing toward the inbound
thrower clear down at OUR end of the floor. That one caught the wrath of Arch.

My point here is that everyone on the floor gets judged on the total body of work for whatever minutes they are on the court. Do the pluses outweigh the minuses?

My leanings are that he would have had a good game if he had just made the layups. The attaboys would have cancelled out the awsh*ts.

His effort was constant throughout his minutes on the court--particularly on defense.

True Team.
Good post and for the record, as much as I vented earlier, I still believe. That lazy bounce pass at the end of the game sent me through the roof. And will again if he does it again. But yeah, maybe he's really only a tweak here and a tweak there from being the player we all thought we were getting.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute

Conclusion--he really did more good things than I realized . . .

I thought it instructive that Archie kept DD in the game when he picked up his fourth foul late.

Flyer 86 (01-11-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 PM

I totally support that move to leave some players in with 4 fouls. It's similar to letting your kids (grandkids), live and learn from their mistakes. Can't bail them out all the time.

I never fouled out much in a game as a pg, but when I did there was no worse feeling than I had let the team down.

Thought that move was great on Coach's part with Darrell.

Have a feeling we are going to have this discussion throughout the remainder of this season. Hopefully it will be positive when viewed as a whole body of work for DD.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This short video catches the Archie/Darrell interaction at the end of RI game.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs...F#configurator
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-11-2017), fuz_forward (01-11-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-11-2017), The Fly (01-11-2017), TommyGola (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post

We don't know all what goes on behind the scenes and we don't need to know. I trust the coach and wish the best for the player.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:59 PM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post

It appears that Archie is doing everything he can to bring Darrell along and elevate his game. That was genuine!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Thumbs up Progress is apparent

Here's to another Baby D step forward last night. Overall he was an asset and just may be having an epiphany in his play.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-01-2017), jack72 (02-01-2017), UDBaby (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Here's to another Baby D step forward last night. Overall he was an asset and just may be having an epiphany in his play.

And did you notice who played the point for a minute with 4 minutes remaining while Scoochie got his last bit of rest?
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 AM
General of the Air Force

Notice who Archie had playing the point at the end of the game when Scooch had 4 fouls and Archie was doing offensive/defensive substitution?
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 AM
General

Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
And did you notice who played the point for a minute with 4 minutes remaining while Scoochie got his last bit of rest?
Yes. Did you notice that he dribbled it off his knee into Cooke's hands, who waited too long to make the pass to Pollard, who mishandled a dunk-and-1 that went in anyway? Textbook.

DD cannot play point. But he's playing pretty darn well in his defined role.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Yes. Did you notice that he dribbled it off his knee into Cooke's hands, who waited too long to make the pass to Pollard, who mishandled a dunk-and-1 that went in anyway? Textbook.

DD cannot play point. But he's playing pretty darn well in his defined role.
I did. I think it spoke more of Archie's lack of faith in Crosby than it did of DD's ability to play the point. Anyway, I do think DD is turning the corner.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Lieutenant General

So you're saying he did the same things Crosby does when he goes in? If so at least he plays defense so I'd say that's a net positive. At this point I'm in favor of anybody spelling Scoochie other than Crosby. Heck give Kyle a shot too.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
While an out-of-position DD lacks the ability to create offense as a playmaking PG should, it's not a guaranteed turnover like Crosby is at this point so it's not the worst option though to be frank, all options not named Scoochie are not good.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 AM

I thought DD played a darn good game last night. Even the threes he missed were with good form and confidence.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2017), UDBaby (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Archie baffled me last night.
DD knocks down back to back 3s from the corner to scorch the Fordham zone and Archie immediately calls a TO.
DD then goes 10+ minutes without ever getting the ball in a good shooting position and goes scoreless the rest of the game.
Maybe Archie caught some bad TO calling virus from the Fordham coach.
Gazoo (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
DD knocks down back to back 3s from the corner to scorch the Fordham zone and Archie immediately calls a TO.
DD then goes 10+ minutes without ever getting the ball in a good shooting position and goes scoreless the rest of the game.
I was equally baffled by the same things you point out.

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
While an out-of-position DD lacks the ability to create offense as a playmaking PG should, it's not a guaranteed turnover like Crosby is at this point so it's not the worst option though to be frank, all options not named Scoochie are not good.
It's just as much of a "guaranteed" turnover as with Crosby. That's why I pointed out that the 1 trip where he played point was a dribble off his knee after an adventurous trip across the timeline. It was no better, just more lucky.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM

I believe Archie called the timeout because of our defensive problems at that point, as FU had scored two easy baskets coming out of the locker room.

After DD made two straight, he then missed two after about ten minutes went by. He was not in the game for about 6 of those minutes.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Three things Get a Player to Archie's Bench

1. Fouls
2. Turnovers
3. Poor Defense

UD's defense did not travel well last night. They gave up 66 to a team that should have scored about 62. DD played matador defense at times.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Need to put some responsibility on DD to create his own shot or get himself open. He's a junior, he needs to take more responsibility for his offense and do something other than shoot 3s that others create for him. This isn't on Archie regardless of a good TO or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
I was at the game last night...along with loyal, vocal, Flyer Faithful (you can't image how much it pizzes them off that we turn this into a virtual home game every visit to Rose Hill CYO)....

The biggest takeaway about DD's game of late - IMHO - is the fire in his eye and enthusiasm on the court and on the bench. Last night, and in recent games, I see a kid playing his arse off on D, not sulking over missed shots, supporting his teammates, talking to young guys on the bench, and competing as hard as he can.

His entire demeanor is a sea change from that of just a short time ago, and I think it will pay huge dividends for him and the Flyers as the season wears on. He's playing with more confidence, not fretting over every stumble, and looking for his shot or an open teammate.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one love what I saw from him last night....which, at Fordham, is about as close as you can possibly get to a player in the A10.

DD has turned the corner!
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (02-01-2017), Cityengr (02-01-2017), CvilleFlyer (02-01-2017), Flyer 86 (02-02-2017), Gazoo (02-01-2017), Glen Clark (02-06-2017), LI Flyer (02-01-2017), NJFlyr71 (02-02-2017), ruechalgrin (02-01-2017), TerryK_67 (02-01-2017), tirebiter (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:09 PM
General

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
DD played matador defense at times.
As did KP. And SS. Certainly XW and RM got reamed for the defense at times.

This intense desire to attribute poor defense to DD based on a single play or 2 plays baffles me. DD played every bit as good of defense as anyone else last night. I wouldn't call it stellar, I would call it "acutely average." Which is a massive improvement from his first 2 years at UD where he played defense like he was allergic to it.

And he went 3 for 6 from outside the arc.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
As did KP. And SS. Certainly XW and RM got reamed for the defense at times.

This intense desire to attribute poor defense to DD based on a single play or 2 plays baffles me. DD played every bit as good of defense as anyone else last night. I wouldn't call it stellar, I would call it "acutely average." Which is a massive improvement from his first 2 years at UD where he played defense like he was allergic to it.

And he went 3 for 6 from outside the arc.
Maybe that's the issue. We should probably be talking about the collective inability to defend the ball by everyone. That speaks more to off-season preparation and demand from the coach. When it's everyone you gotta look at the man with the paycheck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM

All I know is that I have never been more confident of our team's collective ability to shut down the opposition in the last 4/5 minutes of a tight game. DD is now part of that, where once he was not. We have guys that do make mistakes, but they make fewer bad plays than good plays in the last 5 minutes.

You never know who is going to tip the scales on defense, but we have about 7 that are capable of it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (02-02-2017), Gazoo (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Admittedly we did not play great defense at FU, bit on the whole this year our defense has been tremendous. Even in the VCU loss we played great defense, albeit we couldn't finish it off with a good defensive rebound. Suddenly this thread makes us sound like we play swiss cheese defense and that the world is coming to an end. Not overly concerned about one less than stellar defensive performance, which for what it's worth was not terrible in the 2nd half of the Fu game either.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (02-02-2017), Gazoo (02-02-2017), San Diego Flyer (02-02-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Instead of "I feel for DD", it's now "I'm feeling DD". I said above that somewhere in that 4 star body is a player, and I don't know for sure what brought it out in one short month, but we should be lovin' it. My guess it was the coaching and patience of Archie that put DD's mind in a good place.

If he keeps improving at this rate, it casts a whole new light on next years team.
66flyer (02-08-2017), jack72 (02-08-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-08-2017), NYCFLYER (02-08-2017), Wallage (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
Thank You, SDF! I don't know what it is with so many people on this site that expect instant and constant perfection. Not going to happen! They're kids and they're human. There will always be ups and downs and we must go with the flow and keep on saying the Serenity Prayer. Yes, it is aggravating to see them falter at times, but uplifting to see them prevail, sometimes in spite of the faltering. You have to know that both conditions and everything in between will always be there.
Go Flyers! We love you!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 66flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-08-2017), Glen Clark (02-08-2017), m21eagle45 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:15 PM

I get that they are all different, I've raised and coached a gaggle of them. But not sure I have ever seen one go from bright to dark and as a mid-season Junior go back to bright.
I applaud DD and it's great for all concerned.

Darrell is now up to 1.6 A/TO ratio which is better than anyone else not named Kyle or Scoochie . And getting better.