UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Who shoot the FTs for Pollard?
Archie Miller is allowed to sub Sam Miller to shoot the FTs 13 50.00%
Drew is right, and his choice of Sanders is correct! 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Thorsday, 2016!!! You Make the Call (YMtC) - substitute FTs

C'mon you bunch of jock-sniffing know-it-all Royal wannabe's...it time to see how much you don't know about college basketball. We'll start with simple stuff, and work our way up from there. You'll have 24 hours to choose your answer. Google it if you want, but realize that's just an admission if ignorance...which I've grown to expect around here.

With that said, here's scenario #1 of 2016.

My Team is up 73-66 over Vanderbilt with 3:22 left and my man Kendall Pollard, playing at 98% his pre-knee injury strength just drove the lane for a dunk but on his way up, got drilled by the Commodore's center...foul called and 2 free throws awarded.

So while the teams are lining up on the FT lane, everyone notices that Pollard is still on his knees, looking carefully around the floor for a contact lens. After a couple minutes, head ref Joey DeMayo stops the search and tells Archie Miller he either needs to sub for Pollard or Pollard needs to shoot the FTs. To buy more time, Miller calls a time-out.

During the time-out, Pollard finds the contact lens and attempts to put it in, but it's torn and won't stay in his eye. With no replacement lens, Miller has no choice but to sub for Pollard, and points to Sam Miller who runs to the table and checks in for Pollard to shoot the 2 FTs.

Vanderbilt head coach Bryce Drew immediately jumps off his bench and protests that Miller can't sub Miller into the game because the choice of the FT shooting sub is the job of the opposing team's coach! Drew wants freshman Trey Sanders to COME OFF THE BENCH and shoot the FTs and in no short terms tells DeMayo that he'll protest the game if anyone but Sanders shoots for Pollard.

DeMayo looks at his rookie partners - Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin - and decides he's better off making this call on his own. So after a few seconds to review the FT substitution Rules in his shallow mind, he points to Drew and announces that .....

Last edited by rollo; 05-12-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I believe in this case that the opposing coach can select from the other four players on the floor at the time of the injury (I am calling this an injury) to shoot the free throw. The subsequent time out called by Archie Miller and Archie's subsequent substitution for the injuried player occur after the injury took place. So, Sam Miller who was not on the floor at the time of the injury cannot shoot the free throw. if Trey Landers was one of the four players on the floor at the time of the injury (event) then the opposing coach could select him to shoot the free throw. This is my guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
I believe in this case that the opposing coach can select from the other four players on the floor at the time of the injury (I am calling this an injury) to shoot the free throw. The subsequent time out called by Archie Miller and Archie's subsequent substitution for the injuried player occur after the injury took place. So, Sam Miller who was not on the floor at the time of the injury cannot shoot the free throw. if Trey Landers was one of the four players on the floor at the time of the injury (event) then the opposing coach could select him to shoot the free throw. This is my guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Since you brought it up, I changed the story to include Sanders coming off the bench. I'm surprised Clayton didn't jump my sh*t about that minor and unnecessary omission...he's a Royal expert in minutia.
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I must be missing something as i have a suspicion that Rollo has a card up his sleeve here. Bu i am a glutton for punishment. I wll take the bait. I will still say that the opposing coach can pick one of the four players on the court at the time of the injury to shoot the free throw. If the opposing coach insists that it be Landers (who was not on the court at the time) and he wants to protest the call then that is the opposing coach's perogative.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Nothing up my sleeve...cuz I always go sleeveless...brother!!!

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
My recollection on this is with Buckley - The opposing team chooses the FT shooter, but it seems wrong the opposing coach can choose a player off the bench to shoot the FTs.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,428 Times in 679 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking it would be Archie. I seem to remember Kurt getting "hurt" during a game, BG subbing in somebody to shoot the free throws, and then next dead ball Kurt was suddenly healthy enough to jog back onto the floor like a soccer star.
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:18 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,162 Times in 2,320 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
I was thinking it would be Archie. I seem to remember Kurt getting "hurt" during a game, BG subbing in somebody to shoot the free throws, and then next dead ball Kurt was suddenly healthy enough to jog back onto the floor like a soccer star.
Paul Williams took those free throws. (And Kurt came back in a few minutes later in the game.......)

I thought the rule changed shortly after that occurrence, too, and replacement foul shots were to be chosen by the coach of the team shooting the free throws, of remaining players on the court.

Now, rollo decided to throw in a time-out, so that must have something to do with it.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Now, rollo decided to throw in a time-out, so that must have something to do with it.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I say Archie makes the call. Otherwise teams would be hacking the guy with the ball (who is usually the best free throw shooter) in late, close game situations "legally" but enough to cause "injury" so that they cannot shoot. it would be up to the refs to determine intent. If a fouled player cannot shoot the free throw due to the foul causing "injury" then the coach of the injured player should decide who shoots. My 2 cents and now off to google.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM

*there won't be one...I owe...again...

I'm guessing that Sir King of faux Kings ClaytonFlyer hasn't chimed in yet because he's busy Googling, Binging and Yahooing anything and everything distantly related to this YMtC.

Despite his efforts, I'm betting the Royal tax return* that he gets it wrong.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=rollo;456461]COME OFF THE BENCH

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm guessing that Sir King of faux Kings ClaytonFlyer hasn't chimed in yet because he's busy Googling, Binging and Yahooing anything and everything distantly related to this YMtC.

Despite his efforts, I'm betting the Royal tax return* that he gets it wrong.

I read your post at 830 or so this morning before hitting the road. I decided to not waste my time answering, since you failed to provide a very important detail in your original post, which I see you now have went back and edited in in bright red letters.

Back on the road for work, then practice from 730 to 915. Although it gets more tempting everyday to give it all up, move into section 8 housing, get my obama phone and food stamps, and live happily ever after sitting on my rear end.

SIR
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-14-2016), Figgie123 (05-13-2016), rollo (05-12-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:49 AM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Since you brought it up, I changed the story to include Sanders coming off the bench. I'm surprised Clayton didn't jump my sh*t about that minor and unnecessary omission...he's a Royal expert in minutia.

Excuse me for being the last man on earth who believes in communication, and making sure all the fine details are worked out.

Lets meet at Milanos at noon and I will buy you a cold beer as an apology.

Which Milanos? Does it matter, that is a minor detail, take your chances!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-13-2016), m21eagle45 (05-13-2016), superfan99 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Details, shmetails Clayton, it matters NOT where Sanders is at the time of the substitution since this is 100% Archie's call...after all, Rule 8 Sect 2 clearly states that an issue with a contact lens in NOT considered an injury. Therefore the opposing coach has no say.

Nor does the Faux King!!

The REAL King...

...OUT!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Do your homework young man :)

Details, shmetails Clayton, it matters NOT where Sanders is at the time of the substitution since this is 100% Archie's call...after all, Rule 8 Sect 2 clearly states that an issue with a contact lens in NOT considered an injury. Therefore the opposing coach has no say.

Nor does the Faux King!!

The REAL King...

...OUT!

I think you meant to say Rule 8, Section 3, Article 2

Which clearly states "be attempted by that players substitute" and later in explanation includes for contact lens issues.

Thus, the location of Sanders (already in the game or on the bench) at the time of lost contact is a very valuable detail in this case.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/BR15.pdf

Yes, this link is a year old, but no updates were on the rule changes for 2015-2016. Thanks for making me spend 5 minutes reading the rule book to confirm I am correct, yet again.

Heading out of town for a weekend of basketball, so you have until Sunday evening to either prove me wrong (not a chance), or submit your resignation as the so called king of UD Pride.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I actually got this right and the reasoning without looking it up for once. Figured that the contact lens thing was not an "injury", thus allowing Archie the choice of shooters.

I appreciate you starting us out simple for us novices.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post

Thus, the location of Sanders (already in the game or on the bench) at the time of lost contact is a very valuable detail in this case.

Help me out here King of Faux Kings, but since the contact lens issue isn't an injury and the call belongs to Archie, why does it matter if Sanders in in the game, on the bench or in the locker room taking a dump?

If anyone else can clarify this, I'm listening.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 AM
General of the Air Force

Help me out here King of Faux Kings, but since the contact lens issue isn't an injury and the call belongs to Archie, why does it matter if Sanders in in the game, on the bench or in the locker room taking a dump?

If anyone else can clarify this, I'm listening.
Read the rule at the link I posted a few posts back. The rule includes contact lens issues, so does not matter if it an injury or not. The rule clearly says the "player who subs in for the guy with contact issues shoots the free throws". If Sanders was already in the game he could not sub in to shoot the shots.

I'm listening for you to admit I am right
Old 05-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Am i missing something? Isnt it Trey Landers?
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Am i missing something? Isnt it Trey Landers?
LMAO...can not believe I did not catch that one either, then I typed the same name. But keep in mind, Rollo said details do not matter anymore.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
LMAO...can not believe I did not catch that one either, then I typed the same name. But keep in mind, Rollo said details do not matter anymore.
I usually enjoy correcting people,making fun and clowning around. Just doesnt feel right. At all. Hearing what Steve was all about and how much he cared, especially about the kids back home, how much he enjoyed the game, including his friends,teammates and classmates isnt making this easier. Its making it harder. What good does taking this guy away so early do? I heard spatterings of things that guy had going on but sounded like everything was turning around. What a kid, what a Flyer. Between he and CWD, no one is taking it in the paint on the Flyers in heaven
Old 05-14-2016, 05:59 PM

Read the rule at the link I posted a few posts back. The rule includes contact lens issues, so does not matter if it an injury or not. The rule clearly says the "player who subs in for the guy with contact issues shoots the free throws". If Sanders was already in the game he could not sub in to shoot the shots.

But Archie wanted Sam Miller so who cares where Landers is? He was never a consideration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Rollo. Don't you have other things to worry about?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
Rollo. Don't you have other things to worry about?
Are you referring to my golf game the past 2 weeks? I think NCR is banning me until the divots can be fixed and greens repaired! Ugh!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (05-15-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 AM

After much Royal consideration and meditation, and to prove the True King of UDPride is not only benevolent, but a peace maker, I do hereby decree that Sir ClaytonFlyer is, indeed, RIGHT....
Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 AM

....handed.