UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Red/Blue Scrimmage

Set for 7 pm on Saturday. Here's the write up.

http://www.daytonflyers.com/news/201...ll-flyers.aspx

I noticed it says 3 newcomers this year. I'm guessing that means the walkon DS Carissa Breyer from WI isn't in preseason camp??? Just the two freshmen setters and the sophomore OH transfer from Syracuse???? Beyer isn't on the roster either, but it could also be the writer overlooked the sophomore transfer and Beyer just hasn't been added yet??? Beyer's club website and her twitter still say she's a Dayton recruit??? So someone who goes to the scrimmage can verify if she reported or not. Although you can never have too many DS players, we have seniors Maggie and Laura who both got a large amount of court time last year and A10 LOY Margo so we are in good shape this year. The two freshmen setters were both good backrow players in high school. That doesn't always translate to high level D1 play, but it's a good base to start from. Next year could be a challenge.

Technically 5 setters on this roster. It's got to be a battle in camp at this position. Will we go with two setters so we have 6'2" Brooke during the 3 frontrow rotations? She's had a year working with every hitter that will play this year. Timing and placement with each hitter is critical. I would think her blocking and attack skills are better than Jane's. I believe she holds her high school assist and kill records. She has a 4" advantage over Jane that helps her in these two areas. But the most important skill for a setter is your ability to place the ball where each hitter likes it. Jane is good at that part of the job. So the competition for setter has to be intense. You also have to factor in backrow skills and serving. Checking out the setter battle at the scrimmage is more than worth the price of admission. (LOL - it's free.)

We also have a boatload of hitters on this roster. As a group I think this is the most talented hitting team we have ever had returning. I'm not sure people know that our two MBs were both ranked in the Top 10 hitting percentage in the nation last year. We have never had ONE in the top 10. Closest is Lindsay Fletmeier who finished #11 in 2010 at .405. Kendall was #2 last year at .431 and Amber #7 at .423. That is so impressive especially when you consider their (lack of) height for the MB position. It's also a testament to the backrow passing skills of this team. You have to pass well to set the MBs. Dayton has never had 4 hitters receive A10 post season recognition. We had that last year and they all return. As a group, the hitters have to get better at blocking. We saw flashes of greatness last year. We will need consistancy at a high level this year. The 2010 team was a much better blocking team. I'm hoping I can't say that at the end of this season.

And lastly, we need to ramp up our serving. I hope the A10 has a bunch of great serve receiving teams this year. When you get to the NCAA tournament, you have got to win the aggressive serve game to make the second weekend. We need to be challenged in this area every week to prepare. We also need players who serve tough every week in practice to help our backrow players prepare to handle the tough serving we will run up against in the NCAAs. I think having Alyssa D'Errico on staff will be a huge help in this area. She won FOUR National Championships as the starting Libero for Penn State (07' 08' 09' 10). She might be the only Libero to ever do that. At a minimum, it's a very short list.

If we stay healthy, this will be a great year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (08-18-2017), UDVBFan (08-18-2017)
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2017, 06:53 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
First serve coming soon. I hope we have some reports after the scrimmage from those who attended. So excited for this year to start for real in less than a week.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Laura and Jamie not participating. Jamie's arm is in sling, maybe shoulder issue?
Timing not good, but lots of potential.
Freshman middle, Olivia, looks solid to me. Quick up and range.

Sorry my vball knowledge is limited. But talent level looks deep and level to me.
Side note : 2 guys playing as part of scrimmage. Both are solid and I am sure help very much. Always in right spot and making the right play. Tallest one hits well(would love to know his height- looks maybe 6'4" ish
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by keats '91 View Post
Laura and Jamie not participating. Jamie's arm is in sling, maybe shoulder issue?
Timing not good, but lots of potential.
Freshman middle, Olivia, looks solid to me. Quick up and range.

Sorry my vball knowledge is limited. But talent level looks deep and level to me.
Side note : 2 guys playing as part of scrimmage. Both are solid and I am sure help very much. Always in right spot and making the right play. Tallest one hits well(would love to know his height- looks maybe 6'4" ish
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for notes. The team has had 2-3 practice guys for about a decade. They have played in this scrimmage the last couple years. Most teams have them.

Jamie's arm in sling isn't good. Let's hope it's not season-ending. I had heard Olivia had improved this summer. Sounds like this very well might be the case.

There was a warmup photo on twitter but nothing since then.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
A couple more thoughts...
I had to leave after second set, daughter is fighting a cold.
Returning starters won first set rather easily. Sorry nothing stood out to me with them. Solid, but also higher expectations.
Youngsters with guy players won the second tight set. Olivia and Sierra did a nice job at the net defensively. Their setter was Bridget, freshman from Kansas City. Very solid play for freshman. No risk to Jane this year, but seemed way ahead of Brooke for future setter. Brooke hit outside mostly. And never seemed to get into a groove to me.

During times of second set the guys really controlled the flow of the game. Sorry for going on about them, but they were impressive. Caught the taller guys name, Casey Peeper. And after second observation he had to be closer to 6'7. A time or two, his blocking seemed to frustrate Bruns and Jessica.

Fun to watch freshman fans show up to watch. Most went upstairs. Even heard a 'Go Dayton flyers' chant. Kind of weak, but cool to hear from the newbie fans.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to keats '91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-19-2017), UDVBFan (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 09:24 PM

Brooke might play RS OH this year. She played both hitter and setter in high school. I know she worked at setter over the summer. Another thought is if Jamie was out and the injury is very recent, they may have moved Brooke to hitter to fill the open spot without much practice time.

Good to hear the freshmen are making an impact even if that means they are pushing the starters from last year. That is so important. There are not plays off when you have talent behind you.

I hope the practice guy is 6'7". Three very good programs have female players that tall this year. We could see that in the NCAAs.

Thanks for the posts. Hope your daughter gets better soon. Summer colds are the worst.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (08-23-2017), UDVBFan (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
The starting lineup seems to be identical to last year outside of Westbeld in for Peterson due to the right arm in a sling. The second string was playing a 6-2 offense with the 2 freshman setters doing 3 rotations each.

Third set, Westbeld was the setter for the starters and Emmenecker was with the second string. Starting lineup won the third set.

Hubacek seemed to be the coach for second string, carrying a clipboard and choosing serve points at times.
Both Westbeld and Olivia Dubuy are listed as redshift freshman. I think Weaver was the extra player on the sideline but didn't play.

It's nice to see all the height on the team. Haven't had that in a while.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Any improvement in our big weakness, serving?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM

There are two systems to play a two-setter offense.

1. The setters rotate in for each other. You usually do this when one of your setters is short and/or a liability in the front row or your taller setter isn't a good backrow player. So you sub them in for each other to cover the six rotations.

2. The second way is to have a double sub every time you change setters. This is usually two Rightside OHs paired up with each setter. The Rightside OH is also called an "Opposite". That's because the play opposite the setter. So when your setter is serving, the RS/OPP is in the frontrow left outside position. They are always directly opposite as the lineup rotates around. You have a four-player sub when you switch setters every 3 rotations. Both setters play only the 3 backrow rotations. If they are good servers they can both serve in this system. Otherwise you have one of your RS/OPPs serve for a half rotation. That puts one setter in the front row for 1/2 a rotation before subbing out. It depends on your personnel if you go that way. It's more common to let both setters serve. The advantage to this option is you always have 3 hitters in the front row. You "lose" a DS in the backrow rotation. You also burn subs faster so you have to manage your subs closer and make sure if you are in a match with a lot of rotations or overtime points to win by two, you have the setter who can best play all 6 rotation on the court at the end when you can't sub in the second setter. You also have to have a very solid Libero and OHs that can cover the backrow and pass half the court. With a setter always in a backrow position, you "hide" them in serve receive. You want your setter taking the second touch (the set) not the first touch (the serve receive) so two players take the serve receive and thus need to be able to "pass half the court".

No writeup on df.com as of Sunday am. I hope they release info on Jamie. That's a big up-in-the-air factor. She played 6 rotations at the end of last year. If she is out, it affects every position except Libero.