User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
The next time I hear a coach say he is happy and has no reason to leave I won't believe it is the entire truth
You and the rest of the civilized world.
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
From Andy Katz (though I hope not true): http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...925468921040-4
The bad news is Groce is far from the best choice in my opinion. The good news is Groce is far from the worst choice in my opinion. But it really seems like Katz is literally just throwing out a name "that might be viable" without any indication that either side is even interested in the other. Like he thought he should file an update on the Dayton job, but didn't actually have an update so he just made up the most vaguest of reports.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), C-time (03-28-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-28-2017), UDGutter2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
BTW I have decided that there are two people you are allowed to tweet during the coaching search.

1. President Spina. So if a name like Groce or Paulus pops up on the radar feel free to tweet him and tell him you think that guy would be awful.
https://twitter.com/DaytonPrezSpina

2. Ray Harper so you can express your hopes that he is the next Dayton coach and that you fully support him.
https://twitter.com/CoachRHarper

But as always: Don't tweet the recruits!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (03-28-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Andy Katz throwing out John Groce's name - great idea to hire a coach who failed "big league" at Illinois.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 679 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
BTW I have decided that there are two people you are allowed to tweet during the coaching search.

1. President Spina. So if a name like Groce or Paulus pops up on the radar feel free to tweet him and tell him you think that guy would be awful.
https://twitter.com/DaytonPrezSpina

2. Ray Harper so you can express your hopes that he is the next Dayton coach and that you fully support him.
https://twitter.com/CoachRHarper

But as always: Don't tweet the recruits!
And of course, feel free to tweet President Spina and let him know that he should hire Ray Harper. He's the only real choice.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Tweet from BlackburnReview:
UD has allegedly interviewed both assistants, reached out to Grant and Whitford.

No idea the credibility of the info that they received, but at least it's an actual report unlike that completely worthless report from Andy Katz.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,479 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
UD has allegedly interviewed both assistants, reached out to Grant and Whitford.

No idea the credibility of the info that they received, but at least it's an actual report unlike that completely worthless report from Andy Katz.
And I don't think anyone would question this is a real possibility. It seems very logical and rational. As well as probably a couple more name they don't know about.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,166 Times in 4,198 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
This!

I fear he would use the Izzo system and I can't handle watching that. BG 2.0 would be awful.
Kind of sounds like Crean would also be BG 2.0. We do not need to go down that road again.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute

BlackburnReview has more than once come up with news before its public, they don't spread rumor just to spread rumor, though they offer a big dose of humor and irreverence. Anyhoo, I'd trust that what they tweeted comes from good sources.

Whitford would be interesting, he coached Jesse Berry during his senior season at Ball St, so we could come full circle on that once committed recruit
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Kind of sounds like Crean would also be BG 2.0. We do not need to go down that road again.
Crean has at least been away from Izzo for a while and was able to adapt on his own and develop his own style. BG and Fife would have come straight from coaching under Izzo. So it is a little different.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:09 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there 3 assistants?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Aren't there 3 assistants?
I really haven't heard that Griffin is being considered so that's probably why they said "both assistants"
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Whitford would be interesting, he coached Jesse Berry during his senior season at Ball St, so we could come full circle on that once committed recruit
Yeah, I'd like a guy that's got more on his resume than a couple of CIT appearances. Fife, Paulus and Whitford all sound terrible to me.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), DaytonDecibelDungeon (03-28-2017), flyer016 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
After 24 hours of thought, a few hours of sleep, and a bottle of happy juice last night next to my bon fire, I have come to the conclusion this is the best option.

Hire Kuwik, and announce it by this time tomorrow

As part of the deal, make Ostrom one of the highest paid assistant coaches in all of basketball. (Assuming Kuwik likes my idea on Ostrom)

Good coaching duo moving forward, and by all accounts two great recruiters. Hopefully most of our incoming class would stay.
The smartest guy I know posted this on here 48 hours ago. What are you waiting on Flyers? Get with it!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-28-2017), IndianaFlyer (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:00 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about
The smartest guy I know posted this on here 48 hours ago. What are you waiting on Flyers? Get with it!
This!!!!!!

Hence the thread mentioning of Kuwik vs Ostrom vs Both!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Beers are on me if it happens.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-28-2017), UDGutter2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
All well and good. But Grant also coached at Alabama. You cannot evaluate his resume' by throwing out half the body of work. Evaluation must be on the totality. Its like evaluating Brian Gregory and completely dismissing his tenure at Georgia Tech as irrelevant. Its all relevant.
Fair that I might be too positive on Grant. I probably skewed too much that way. But his Alabama resume in terms of kenpom rankings pretty similar to Archie's. With two huge exceptions, NCAA appearances/wins. Also Archie much higher success versus A teams. I would have to dig much deeper to have a real view on this lack of success versus A teams. My hypothesis is worse overall versus A teams than Archie, but not as bad at raw numbers indicate as exponentially more difficult to win @KY or @FL versus @Rhody. All 3 are A games. But @KY, a team ranked 50 (like Dayton, VCU, or Bama) would be like 5-10% to win whereas a team ranked 50 would be like 35-40% to win @Rhody. Both A wins, but materially different in level of difficulty. Don't have time to do this analysis.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Fair that I might be too positive on Grant. I probably skewed too much that way. But his Alabama resume in terms of kenpom rankings pretty similar to Archie's. With two huge exceptions, NCAA appearances/wins. Also Archie much higher success versus A teams. I would have to dig much deeper to have a real view on this lack of success versus A teams. My hypothesis is worse overall versus A teams than Archie, but not as bad at raw numbers indicate as exponentially more difficult to win @KY or @FL versus @Rhody. All 3 are A games. But @KY, a team ranked 50 (like Dayton, VCU, or Bama) would be like 5-10% to win whereas a team ranked 50 would be like 35-40% to win @Rhody. Both A wins, but materially different in level of difficulty. Don't have time to do this analysis.
So what you are saying is Grant is gathering steam. I think I know a job where your sharp analysis may be valued.
BRob2Perryman3 (03-28-2017), ud2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Trust the process.

Indiana AD knew weeks before he would fire Crean. It still took him 9 days post Crean dismissal as well as 8 days post Archie's NCAA loss to announce it.

Neil Sullivan has had only 72 hours since the announcement. Give him some time. He is bright, hard-working, and very thoughtful.

This is a 5+ year decision, a couple extra days of thoughtful deliberation is the right pace. Time is off the essence, but getting it right more important.

#TRusttheprocess
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-28-2017), jumpin' joe (03-28-2017), UD_Earl (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
So what you are saying is Grant is gathering steam. I think I know a job where your sharp analysis may be valued.
Do not know the status of Grant. I focused on Grant as a lot a people were down on Grant in the thread Statistically he was pretty good at Alabama and VCU, much much better than I thought. But consistently bad in luck factor (which could be unlucky or could be bad late game coaching). Could have done the same analysis on the others rumored.

Easier to analyze Groce, Weber, Grant, Whitford, and other rumored head coaches as they have a statistical record to analyze. Assistant Coaches are more of a crapshoot. Neil Sullivan, Dan Curran, Dave Harper, and Tim Wabler did a great job with Archie but who really knew that a 31/32 year old guy was going to become a top 15 coach in the nation. BG had the same reputation when Dayton hired him and I think he flatlined at about a top 75 coach.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM
General

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anthony Grant is a Flyer and I respect but there's no way he would be considered if he wasn't an alum. He did worse than Mark Gottfried the guy he took over for at Bama. Gottfried made 5 straight tourneys and elite 8. Grant played in a weak SEC and made the tourney once in six years. He finished 5 games over .500 for his career at Alabama in a conference where the consensus was it was down

A good comparison for Anthony is Dennis Felton who was just hired at Cleveland St. Felton is 53 and Grant is 50 and they both had a similar career trajectory.

Anthony got his start at VCU and had three good seasons there. Felton took over a similar program at Western Kentucky and rebuilt it vs inheriting an NBA player in Eric Maynor and a good situation like Grant. Felton took Western the NCAA's three years in a row and accepted the Georgia after the 02-03 season.

Both Anthony Grant and Felton spent six seasons in the SEC and each had a NCAA tourney appearance. Felton had 2 NIT trips and Grant 2 & was let go before his 3rd.

Felton like Grant went to the NBA after getting fired from the SEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis...oaching_record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon...oaching_record

I'm not sure how anyone could like at Grant's track record and think he'd continue an upward trajectory for the program
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (03-28-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-28-2017), ud2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:53 PM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 827 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Here's another guy spewing Groce "sources." Gotta believe this is nonsense: https://mobile.twitter.com/RydquistS...rousel-29.html

Too horrible to contemplate.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Here's another guy spewing Groce "sources." Gotta believe this is nonsense: https://mobile.twitter.com/RydquistS...rousel-29.html

Too horrible to contemplate.
I am sure his "source" is Andy Katz article. I doubt this guy has any real connections to the Dayton search.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:59 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
I understand the obsession over this topic, as it's a massive decision. But I certainly hope that the AD isn't making a decision using similar analysis as a lot of posters on this board.

Context is everything. This season was one for the ages by Archie because he coaxed a 7 seed out of a team who's only true big man passed away and best frouncourt player (yeah I said it, healthy Cunningham > Pollard) missed 2.5 months. Brian Gregory missing the NCAA with a senior Brian Roberts was completely understandable, as Chris Wright was injured for all of conference play after that RI game. On the other side, it was not acceptable when the NIT championship team missed the NCAA.

So for everyone throwing out results of different coaches - did you honestly follow situations carefully enough to make sweeping conclusions about any of them? Maybe a few of you know a lot about specific candidates, but I find it difficult to believe that any of you could detail each candidate's coaching philosophy, let alone why one season would have ended up poorly or gone better than expected.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Trust the process.

Indiana AD knew weeks before he would fire Crean. It still took him 9 days post Crean dismissal as well as 8 days post Archie's NCAA loss to announce it.

Neil Sullivan has had only 72 hours since the announcement. Give him some time. He is bright, hard-working, and very thoughtful.

This is a 5+ year decision, a couple extra days of thoughtful deliberation is the right pace. Time is off the essence, but getting it right more important.

#TRusttheprocess
you're right...i just wish it would hurry the **** up!!!! ;-)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), ruechalgrin (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Regarding Groce/Illinois.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/n...ge-in-chicago/:

Illinois’ inability to recruit the Chicago area isn’t about Chicago Public League coaches feeling ignored and disrespected by previous Illini coaches, a common complaint in the past. Players these days are more likely to listen to their AAU coaches and their AAU teammates than their high school coaches when pondering college options. Thanks to social media and travel teams, these kids are connected to a much bigger world than the players who came before them.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,527 Times in 779 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Did we miss on Baker Dunleavy or would UD have been over his head. Seems to have a great assistant coach resume and a solid pedigree. Just curious?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,339 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Did we miss on Baker Dunleavy or would UD have been over his head. Seems to have a great assistant coach resume and a solid pedigree. Just curious?
Like I said earlier if he was in the running and hired for Quinnipiac then he was not ready for UD. Either that or Quinnipiac got a huge steal.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,341 Times in 450 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Kuwik vs Ostrom...

Wondering what you all have observed, but while watching UD's games this year I noticed Ostrom being much more of a bench coach than Kuwik.

Seems like I'd see Ostrom jump off the bench and yell what play to run to Archie multiple times.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Kuwik vs Ostrom...

Wondering what you all have observed, but while watching UD's games this year I noticed Ostrom being much more of a bench coach than Kuwik.

Seems like I'd see Ostrom jump off the bench and yell what play to run to Archie multiple times.
If it truly comes down to the two of them - Archie would have the best POV on who is more qualified. Of course - it is to his benefit to make sure that person didn't get the job so that he can bring him to IU.

Crap.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Kuwik vs Ostrom...

You may be right, but you need to remember that each assistant is responsible for scouting different teams. So if the scout is Ostrom's for that game he will be more active. If the scout is Kuwik's he would be more active that night.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2017), m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), Runnin' Rebel (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Major General

Kuwik vs Ostrom...

That's kind of the opposite of what perception I think is. Ostrom's calling card has been recruiting, but I have no doubt he's learned a thing or two about the Xs and Os. SI article about Ostrom that's worth a read if you haven't read it before:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...south-regional

"Ostrom established himself as a player in the high-stakes world of college basketball recruiting. His journey offers a window in the high-wire existence of a college basketball coach. Ostrom has a national championship ring for a team he didn't coach, recruited a perennial NBA All-Star and has been hired, fired and demoted everywhere from the Sun Belt to the SEC. Every staff in America has a coach like Ostrom on their bench, a guy whose main job is recruiting top talent, genuflecting to the AAU dons and maintaining relationships one text message at a time."
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
If it truly comes down to the two of them - Archie would have the best POV on who is more qualified. Of course - it is to his benefit to make sure that person didn't get the job so that he can bring him to IU.

Crap.
No. We pull the ol switcheroo.

So if Archie says he thinks Ostrom is best for UD job (but knowing Kuwik is the better one) we take Kuwik.

But if Archie knows we know the switcheroo he may say Kuwik thinking we will take Ostom.

So we..

Crap
Old 03-28-2017, 04:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about

So if Archie says he thinks Ostrom is best for UD job (but knowing Kuwik is the better one) we take Kuwik.

But if Archie knows we know the switcheroo he may say Kuwik thinking we will take Ostom.

So we..

Crap
take both.....
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant General

I'm beginning to wonder if this board is going to make it until Sunday or even next Tuesday for a coaching announcement. I'm hoping for an announcement by Friday, but I have a feeling Sullivan is going to use the Final 4/Coaches Convention to do interviewing. Archie was announced on Sunday of Final 4 weekend when he was hired.

Are you all going to be okay if you don't get a coach by Friday?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute

So we..

Crap
Do you have any iocane powder?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (03-28-2017), CT Flyer (03-29-2017), Whacker (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm beginning to wonder if this board is going to make it until Sunday or even next Tuesday for a coaching announcement. I'm hoping for an announcement by Friday, but I have a feeling Sullivan is going to use the Final 4/Coaches Convention to do interviewing. Archie was announced on Sunday of Final 4 weekend when he was hired.

Totally fine with me. Better to explore all options and get it right than to pull a quick trigger and regret it later. We're going to have to live with this decision for likely several years.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 PM
General of the Air Force

You think we are waiting for Mark Few?
C-time (03-28-2017), Whacker (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:53 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute

So we..

Crap
Archie might pull the double switcheroo also. I think the best thing is to not make a decision until one of Ostrom or Kuwik come in and tell us they are taking assistant job at IU. At this point, make him the Coach on the spot.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-28-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Major General

Per @highmajorscoop which bills itself as a College Basketball Lobbyist for 200+ Men's Hoops Programs

Emerging Name for the Dayton Basketball Job (In no order)
Anthony Grant
Internally (Kuwik or Ostrom)
John Brannen
James Whitford
John Groce
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,219 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Or, maybe we immune ourselves to iocane powder and take them both. . .
. . .wait, that would make them the poison. . .
. . .I'm confused now. Tell me when this is over.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
I did not realize that he is from the famous Dunleavy family...his dad was, maybe still is?, a NBA hc...his brother, Mike, played at Duke a few years ago.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Major General

That's kind of the opposite of what perception I think is. Ostrom's calling card has been recruiting, but I have no doubt he's learned a thing or two about the Xs and Os. SI article about Ostrom that's worth a read if you haven't read it before:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...south-regional

"Ostrom established himself as a player in the high-stakes world of college basketball recruiting. His journey offers a window in the high-wire existence of a college basketball coach. Ostrom has a national championship ring for a team he didn't coach, recruited a perennial NBA All-Star and has been hired, fired and demoted everywhere from the Sun Belt to the SEC. Every staff in America has a coach like Ostrom on their bench, a guy whose main job is recruiting top talent, genuflecting to the AAU dons and maintaining relationships one text message at a time."
Every assistant scouts the other teams, whether their main job is recruiting or not. It is one of the duties for assistants at every school. Ostrom may be known for his recruiting, but each assistant scouts opponents. That is SOP in basketball.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 PM
Lieutenant General

From Jeff Goodman ESPN: Names in mix at Dayton, per source: Assistant Tom Ostrom, John Groce, Northern KY's John Brannen, ex-Flyer and OKC assistant Anthony Grant. There may be one or two more.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...298030741214-4

If that's the list just promote Ostrom and get this charade over with.
flyerfan4life (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Major General

I think it's going to be Grant. No sources. Gut feeling. Announcement tomorrow maybe?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM

Thanked 1,319 Times in 686 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I would think twice about Grant. If he doesn't work out, will there be reticence to let him go due his UD past? And, has he really shown that he is the right guy for the job based on his past experience? Is he a good recruiter/salesman? I don't know the answers to these things. I suspect there won't be an announcement until the Final 4, either Saturday or Monday.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Lieutenant General

My biggest issue with Grant is that he has been hanging out as an NBA assistant for 2 years and I fear that being out of the recruiting loop is going to cause him problems especially this year. All of the other guys have been out recruiting and will be able to fill out the roster with players they have relationships with already. Grant would be starting from below square one.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,113 Times in 2,610 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
John Bedell‏Verified account @JBedellWHIO 37m37 minutes ago

John Bedell Retweeted Jeff Goodman

FWIW: a source told me today former Flyer Anthony Grant is a "definite candidate". @whiotv @WHIORadio
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Townie View Post
Didn't Archie get the job before X lost.
Yes...the AM to IU news broke on the morning of March 25th...X lost that night to Gonzaga.

Last edited by ud2; 03-28-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Yes...the AM to IU news broke on the morning of March 25th...X lost that night to Gonzaga.

What are the chances that Mack was offered the IU job prior to the 25th? Seems unlikely that he was offered the job, but that is just my opinion.
His agent was most likely asked if Mack had any interest in the job by Parker Search way before that. That way Mack and IU's AD can both say that Archie was their first choice and they didn't offer the job to anybody else. This is all just a big game to try and keep everything secret.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...hxLI6IdMhhuSP/
Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
looking pretty likely that it is going to be Grant
Old 03-28-2017, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
Based on what? I haven't seen anything that would indicate one way or another.

I will say that the Pres and AD shouldn't worry about recruits, about someone with ties to UD, or anything else. Just pick the best guy for the job, everything else will fall into place.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:28 PM
Lieutenant General

What makes you say that?

Bedell just confirmed that Grant was a candidate after Goodman tweeted his list. Unless you have better "sources" than those 2 I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post

I will say that the Pres and AD shouldn't worry about recruits, about someone with ties to UD, or anything else. Just pick the best guy for the job, everything else will fall into place.
I agree, six years ago Daniel Curran and Tim Wabler chose an unproven assistant coach. How did that workout!!!! We all wish Archie would have stayed longer but, hey, that's life!Now it's President Eric Spina and athletic director Neil Sullivan's turn to weigh all the attributes of the candidates whether they have UD ties as a former player, present assistant coaches or someone new. Our only choice is to wait a few more days and see how it all plays out and hope we keep all our recruits!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
I've seen zero evidence to support that, but if it turns out to be true I hope he retains Ostrom as Associate HC. Not sure how well they worked together at Florida...but that's got to be worth something.
Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 PM
Major General

The confirmation that Grant is definitely a candidate coming out on an off day for the Thunder could easily be coincidence. But it does seem like if you were going to meet with him, today would have been a logical day to do it. Those things coupled with the fact that I think Grant would absolutely accept the job if offered are what lead me to think he could be announced soon. We shall see...
Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of any "scoops", inside info, recruit sentiments, or any other details, the most important detail is to get the right person for the job over, roughly, the next 5 years.

We don't want this program to be worse off 5 years from now than it is right now. We'd rather have it be better off 5 years from now than it is right now. Next year figured to be a transitional year anyway, so get the best candidate for the long haul.

If it's Grant, great. Bring him back "home". If it's Ostrom, great. Keep him here. Whoever it is, just make sure he's ready to take over this program and have it be at least as good 5 years from now as it is right now. Get the right person for the job, and let's go!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer View Post
I've seen zero evidence to support that, but if it turns out to be true I hope he retains Ostrom as Associate HC. Not sure how well they worked together at Florida...but that's got to be worth something.
Had forgotten that Grant and Ostrom had worked together earlier in their careers. That could be one heckuva team, plus it could give Ostrom whatever additional time he needs to prepare him for an HC position a few years down the road, if he's not quite ready yet. Not a bad thought at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 AM

Agree...all of this worrying about the recruits is overblown IMO.

Pick the best candidate, do not worry about anything else other than that.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan
We lost all our recruits when Archie was hired and the world didn't end
Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
World's not going to end. Of course it isn't.

However, There's a big difference coming off a very disappointing season where we finished 7-9 in the A10 and one where we're coming off a 15-3 season.

Also, losing 2 recruits had recurring repercussions, can you imagine what losing 4 or 5 will do? Think about how far we might have gone in 2014-2015 had we had those 2 recruits. We would've had 8 scholarship players instead of 6. We might have lost to Oklahoma fair and square, but I say playing 6 games in 10 days took it's toll and that's why we didn't beat them and move to the sweet 16. With those 2 other players, we might not have gotten stuck playing in a first four.

This is totally different in my opinion because the Flyers have reached a point we don't want to see slip backward. One season of transition with 6 freshman(one redshirt) was foreseen, and hopes for better with the 7 other returnees still was possible. Then things looked much brighter. We lose the majority of those recruits, not to mention we could lose others too, it sets things back 2 or 3 years at least. Maybe worse.

Back then, at least looking back, it's like we took one step back to move 4 steps forward. This would be like taking many steps back with no future payoff to do so.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-29-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Had forgotten that Grant and Ostrom had worked together earlier in their careers. That could be one heckuva team, plus it could give Ostrom whatever additional time he needs to prepare him for an HC position a few years down the road, if he's not quite ready yet. Not a bad thought at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay, you ready for the Billy Donovan circle of influence theory?

So Anthony Grant has been Billy Donovan's protege for a very long time now. Those two are close. Probably no one closer to Billy besides his own family than Anthony. So I would imagine it bothers both of them that things ended on a sour note for Anthony at Alabama. Thus, I think Billy Donovan would very willingly give up his assistant (Anthony) to see him find success again as a head coach.

Tom Ostrom and Anthony would have only worked together briefly under Donovan if at all but Billy and Tom do go way, way back. So imagine Billy calls Tom and encourages him to stay on at Dayton with Grant to help keep the recruiting class intact and to carry forward the momentum Dayton has going. What Billy can offer Ostrom in return is the promise of an NBA assistant gig of some sort in the coming years.

Farfetched perhaps but you never know...
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:02 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If Ostrom isn't the head coach, he's gone
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:12 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
If Ostrom isn't the head coach, he's gone
Your theory is much simpler. And probably true. But my theory is more fun.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Your theory is much simpler. And probably true. But my theory is more fun.
udflyernation on Instagram is saying they think it will be Anthony Grant. My hope is they
threw a buttload of cash at Ostrom to stay as an assistant head coach if this is true.
They'd make a good team. If it's just AG, I'll be worried about the next few years of
recruiting and a smooth transition in the program going forward to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
Travis Steele's wife would be okay with me!

https://www.insideweddings.com/weddi...mages-gallery/
I'm not stalking, but if UD hires Travis, I recommend that the administration consider all the significant others of the bridesmaids for assistant coach positions. If no significant others, I am okay with hiring the bridesmaid(s). But again, I am NOT stalking.
Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:32 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,010 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
It was 2 recruits, not possibly 5.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:05 AM

Thanked 1,170 Times in 508 Posts
MD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond reputeMD Flyer Pride has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't underestimate the value someone like Anthony Grant brings to the program with his time as an assistant in the NBA.

Every recruit has dreams of playing in the NBA. Grant can now relate to these players as a former college player, college coach and NBA coach.

That can be a big deal for many recruits. It can help with recruiting and retaining.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dnutz77 View Post
I'm not stalking....but if...I am okay with hiring the bridesmaid(s). But again, I am NOT stalking.
Yep, sure, we gotcha...
Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 AM
General

The decision shouldn't be made on holding onto recruits. 5 is certainly a lot but where this program is 5 years from now is more important.

With transfers, grad transfers, JUCOs, freshman still out there and those that have reopened their recruitment from the coaching carousel along with the guys we have committed I'm not worried about getting some players if we lose some or all of the recruiting class.

The program is in a much better place with more visibility to sell recruits on than when Archie got here. There's a better nucleus of returning players than I think most folks on here realize.

McKinley Wright is a nice player and I hope we keep him but the beat goes on without him. Could be some nice transfers out there, a freshman or a JUCO.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), rollo (03-29-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 AM
General

Interesting to note former BG assistant Billy Schmidt is on as a quality control coach with Anthony Grant.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing holding me back from supporting Anthony Grant is that he turned the ball over with the score tied 49-49 in the 1985 NCAA tournament game against Villanova. The Wildcats won 51-49. Still holding a grudge 32 years later...

Last edited by jumpin' joe; 03-29-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
What makes you say that?

Bedell just confirmed that Grant was a candidate after Goodman tweeted his list. Unless you have better "sources" than those 2 I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.
Just my best educated guess from all i have read. Nothing more.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
I just hope the decision has been made before April Fool's day..............
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
The decision shouldn't be made on holding onto recruits. 5 is certainly a lot but where this program is 5 years from now is more important.

With transfers, grad transfers, JUCOs, freshman still out there and those that have reopened their recruitment from the coaching carousel along with the guys we have committed I'm not worried about getting some players if we lose some or all of the recruiting class.

The program is in a much better place with more visibility to sell recruits on than when Archie got here. There's a better nucleus of returning players than I think most folks on here realize.

McKinley Wright is a nice player and I hope we keep him but the beat goes on without him. Could be some nice transfers out there, a freshman or a JUCO.
Totally agree...we will be fine even if we lose all 5.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
udflyernation on Instagram is saying they think it will be Anthony Grant. My hope is they
threw a buttload of cash at Ostrom to stay as an assistant head coach if this is true.
They'd make a good team. If it's just AG, I'll be worried about the next few years of
recruiting and a smooth transition in the program going forward to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device
UDFlyerNation? You mean the account that claims to represent us even though it's some guy? A guy who picks fights with other fanbases and generally embarrasses us? And a guy who claimed to know for certain Archie wasn't going anywhere because he had many private conversations with the man's wife?

Ok, I hope this line of bs for him is correct because I really want it to be Grant...but him saying it makes me worried that it's not true.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
This Really is a No Brainer

Would you prefer a coach from the Miller tree or the Donoher tree? I say "In Archie We Trust".
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 AM
General of the Air Force

So we..

Crap
But if we know that Archie knows that we know, then what happens if Archie knows that we know that he knows that we know that..

What were we talking about, again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Would you prefer a coach from the Miller tree or the Donoher tree? I say "In Archie We Trust".
I think Grant would be considered under the Billy Donovan tree, but that's just me.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2017), DallasFlyer (03-29-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Captain

DaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to beholdDaytonDecibelDungeon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
But if we know that Archie knows that we know, then what happens if Archie knows that we know that he knows that we know that..

What were we talking about, again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Stylistically, Grant seemed an awful lot like BG. Big, physical, athletic teams that guarded like crazy and their best offensive set was throw it at the rim and go get an offensive rebound.

Grant's offense looked a little better at VCU with Maynor, but was still very slow and ISO heavy. His teams at Bama couldn't shoot worth a dang because he seemed to recruit lots of physically gifted athletes with minimal basketball skill or savvy.

With Grant you're most likely getting top 50 defense and top 150 offense. If that's still his identity I'd expect cyclical tournament bids based on strong upper class every 3-4 years and a baseline of 19 wins or so. You have to either develop the skills of those superlative athletes or recruit skilled players along with them.

Butler started making deep tourney runs when Stevens started getting NBA-caliber talent, but they were always competitive in the first round or two in the post-season without it.

I think Sullivan has a very clear understanding of what the strengths and limitations are at UD. Dayton has a lot of competitive advantages, but the coach we want understands how to leverage those and reduce or eliminate the limitations.

For instance, getting high-level recruits is always going to be a challenge. Non-conference scheduling coupled with conference strength is a challenge. There no single right answer, but Neil is looking for the candidate who has the best chance of success given Dayton's profile.

If BG would have landed just one or two of the high profile recruits he was on early, his teams probably would have won another 2-3 games in conference and would have made more NCAAs. If the candidate thinks they can recruit Dayton into the post-season they better be one of the best out there.

In the A10, defense matters. A lot. If you can't guard in the A10 you're making it that much tougher to compete. That's a major positive for Grant. But we learned with BG, that an offensive system that requires superior talent to be successful is not going to sustain the needed success. That's a major negative for Grant. Grant seems like a solid hire that is low-risk, low-reward. I'd place the level of expectations somewhere north of BG, but well south of Archie. If Grant gets hired I'd say it was because the other candidates were under-whelming or he has a very clear vision of what he needs to change to be successful at Dayton.

Hiring a current assistant is higher risk, higher reward. You would hope that all of the current assistants have internalized Archie's player development program. That is the great equalizer as Xavier showed for many years under Sean. They had upperclassmen ready to replace the graduating seniors every season. The learning curve is certainly going to be steeper for anyone learning on the job, as it was for Archie. One of the benefits though, is every coach on his staff watched him go through those early struggles. You would hope they would learn from that and not repeat some of the same mistakes.

So as much as we try to speculate who would be a good fit or who would not, how these candidates interview based on what Neil is looking for is all that matters. I hope Sullivan is able to find the candidate that satisfies his criteria, because he is in a unique position to understand what it really takes to succeed. My worry is that none of the candidates check enough boxes and he ends up hiring other than ideal candidate rather than continue the search.

Make no mistake, this is a HUGE hire. Is Dayton a program that can sustain NCAA success or did they make one great hire? That's the question Neil Sulivan is about to answer.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (03-29-2017), Rick Scaia (03-29-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-29-2017), Smitty10 (03-29-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017), Widget (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Totally agree...we will be fine even if we lose all 5.
If you like life on the NIT bubble.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (03-29-2017), Smitty10 (03-29-2017), Tony T 71 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,010 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
But on the bright side we'd be firmly in the CBA....
Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
...in 3 years.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Kendall and Kyle might have qualified as top 50 defenders and top 150 or worse offensive players. No doubt, Archie improved their offensive skills. They were never great, but they got the job done.

If AG is hired, could he retain the skill development program used by Archie? That program proved to improve the offensive skills of several players. Merge athletic defensive players with offensive skill improvement could provide a winner.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
UDFlyerNation? You mean the account that claims to represent us even though it's some guy? A guy who picks fights with other fanbases and generally embarrasses us? And a guy who claimed to know for certain Archie wasn't going anywhere because he had many private conversations with the man's wife?
UDFlyernation is the worst account out there. Swore up and down last week that Archie was never leaving for the reasons you mentioned above. That guy is not to be believed and it's pretty easy to figure out who he really is if you want to. He went on a block party last week and made the accounts private because he couldn't handle people calling out his BS. He knows nothing more than anyone else.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,479 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I would get excited with an AG-TO staff. Ostrom promoted to Associate HC with a big raise. I also think 2 years of NBA coaching experience will have provided AG a better point of reference on speed of offense and other offensive benefits. AG was the top recruiter at FL and teamed with Ostrom could be powerful. Continuity in the program would be maintained. NBA contacts is very attractive to recruits. And AG gives us a chance to retain a coach long term, which would be great for this program. I don't think "firing" would be a problem, if necessary. I don't think you make a hiring decision based on "if he doesn't work out." Sullivan is a professional. Everyone he is looking at might not work out. If you're worried about a negative outcome, you got the wrong guy. For any candidate, you handle it professionally if you have to cross that bridge down the road. AG also gives us a chance to retain one or two other assistants and I like that.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-29-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017), UD_Earl (03-29-2017), Wallage (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
UDFlyernation is the worst account out there. Swore up and down last week that Archie was never leaving for the reasons you mentioned above. That guy is not to be believed and it's pretty easy to figure out who he really is if you want to. He went on a block party last week and made the accounts private because he couldn't handle people calling out his BS. He knows nothing more than anyone else.
Yeah. That's it's own issue. However, the fact that he calls himself flyernation and has a profile pic of our school logo makes the inappropriate assertion that he represents us in some way. It's maddening.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Is history about to repeat itself, not once but twice.

JOB came from the NBA with no HS pipeline and we know how that turned out. AG would be coming from the NBA absent two years from HS recruiting and a perceived lost HS pipeline. At least AG did have two previous HC experiences, but would it be a repeat.

OP after nine years was negotiating for the Clemson job while Dayton was trying to prepare for Tulsa in the first round of the NCAA, which we lost. Am sees his dream job open up while Dayton is preparing for Wichita State in the first round game of the NCAA, which we lost. Did these distractions cause the HC's to lose focus on the job at hand and work behind scenes for the job's they sought and eventually got.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
JOB came from the NBA with no HS pipeline and we know how that turned out. AG would be coming from the NBA absent two years from HS recruiting and a perceived lost HS pipeline. At least AG did have two previous HC experiences, but would it be a repeat.
This is my largest fear with Anthony Grant. The lack of current recruiting connections is not good. I also don't think watching Russell Westbrook play 1 on 5 the last 2 years has improved his traditionally iso heavy offensive philosophy.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=Smitty10;498916]Maybe there was a reason Johnny Davis came back to Dayton for the first time in 40 years?

I realize he's 61 but he could still give us a good 5-8 years no?

Smitty: i concur with Johnny Davis, Mister Excitement, getting a look. With his NBA contacts, recruits might sign. That was always the knock on Archie Miller recruitment. That was a limitation of Archie. Clearly, Archie made up for this limitation. We saw how SMU recruiting benefitted from NBA contacts and being able to promise that we can get you ready for the NBA. I am referring to Larry Brown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Buckleyma;500429]
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Maybe there was a reason Johnny Davis came back to Dayton for the first time in 40 years?

Smitty: i concur with Johnny Davis, Mister Excitement, getting a look. With his NBA contacts, recruits might sign. That was always the knock on Archie Miller recruitment. That was a limitation of Archie. Clearly, Archie made up for this limitation. We saw how SMU recruiting benefitted from NBA contacts and being able to promise that we can get you ready for the NBA. I am referring to Larry Brown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't get your hopes up for Johnny. I met with him when he was in Dayton. He does not have an interest in the coaching anymore. He is ready to retire and enjoying playing golf.

While Johnny was ahead coach in the NBA, he was never a college coach, which would mean recruiting would be new to him.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Major General

[QUOTE=Buckleyma;500429]
Maybe there was a reason Johnny Davis came back to Dayton for the first time in 40 years?

Posted via Mobile Device
Larry Brown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Johnny Davis. I get that he was a Dayton great, but he is not really a known name anymore. His career record as a HC is 73-146.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-29-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Is history about to repeat itself, not once but twice.

OP after nine years was negotiating for the Clemson job while Dayton was trying to prepare for Tulsa in the first round of the NCAA, which we lost. Am sees his dream job open up while Dayton is preparing for Wichita State in the first round game of the NCAA, which we lost. Did these distractions cause the HC's to lose focus on the job at hand and work behind scenes for the job's they sought and eventually got.
This is my largest fear with Anthony Grant. The lack of current recruiting connections is not good. I also don't think watching Russell Westbrook play 1 on 5 the last 2 years has improved his traditionally iso heavy offensive philosophy.
You guys are acting like AG has been out of college coaching for many years. Being gone 2 years isn't really that big of a deal. Many HS and AAU coaches are still at the schools or teams they were with 2 years ago. Some names have changed, but not enough to be a horrible detriment. Hire an assistant with strong recruiting ties and things would be fine.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-29-2017), flyerfan4life (03-29-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Major General

The lack of current recruiting connections is not good.
His network is massive. Not an immediate pipeline of kids he has been directly communicating with, but he's not exactly starting from scratch. An Ohio guy to get him plugged in more to Ohio would be wise to add to staff, but Grant's recruiting base stretches far.

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
You guys are acting like AG has been out of college coaching for many years. Being gone 2 years isn't really that big of a deal. Many HS and AAU coaches are still at the schools or teams they were with 2 years ago. Some names have changed, but not enough to be a horrible detriment. Hire an assistant with strong recruiting ties and things would be fine.
BINGO!

Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
We saw how SMU recruiting benefitted from NBA contacts and being able to promise that we can get you ready for the NBA. I am referring to Larry Brown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry Brown is a legend. His name got him in the door. Anthony Grant is not a legend. His name alone won't get him the door. But he is a good looking dude. I'm comfortable saying that. A lot of moms should let him in.

I also don't think watching Russell Westbrook play 1 on 5 the last 2 years has improved his traditionally iso heavy offensive philosophy.
Grant's just going to call for ISO Crosby every time! Darn you Russell Westbrook!

Seriously though, Grant is going to run things the way he ran them at VCU and Alabama. He'll use some NBA lingo here and there I'm sure and illustrate some things with NBA anecdotes, and kids will eat that stuff up. But I doubt very much that a couple years as an NBA assistant is going to philosophically change his way of doing things.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-29-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM
General

His network is massive. Not an immediate pipeline of kids he has been directly communicating with, but he's not exactly starting from scratch. An Ohio guy to get him plugged in more to Ohio would be wise to add to staff, but Grant's recruiting base stretches far.

BINGO!

Larry Brown is a legend. His name got him in the door. Anthony Grant is not a legend. His name alone won't get him the door. But he is a good looking dude. I'm comfortable saying that. A lot of moms should let him in.

Grant's just going to call for ISO Crosby every time! Darn you Russell Westbrook!

Seriously though, Grant is going to run things the way he ran them at VCU and Alabama. He'll use some NBA lingo here and there I'm sure and illustrate some things with NBA anecdotes, and kids will eat that stuff up. But I doubt very much that a couple years as an NBA assistant is going to philosophically change his way of doing things.
Please don't attribute quotes to me that I didn't make. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Major General

Please don't attribute quotes to me that I didn't make. Thank you.
Fixed it. There's some broken code above that tripped me up when I went to multi-quote. Sorry!
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Grant may be just fine, but my fear and impression is that a lot of people want to hire him because he is a UD alum and they think he will stay at UD forever.

It's like you all just got dumped by your Ole Miss 8 girlfriend and decided you don't want to risk getting you're heart broken again so you settle for a nice and safe Dayton 6 who you don't think will ever leave you.
flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Grant may be just fine, but my fear and impression is that a lot of people want to hire him because he is a UD alum and they think he will stay at UD forever.

It's like you all just got dumped by your Ole Miss 8 girlfriend and decided you don't want to risk getting you're heart broken again so you settle for a nice and safe Dayton 6 who you don't think will ever leave you.

But if all your other choices are 6's as well.....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-29-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017), m21eagle45 (03-29-2017)