Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-18-2024, 07:13 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
The annual Neil Sullivan appreciation thread

There is no exaggerating this man is a genius. He has managed to navigate. Extremely difficult scheduling, overnight NIL changes, changes to our arena, and so much mor. We are **** lucky to have him, and I pray he stays forever!
Posted via Mobile Device
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (03-18-2024), Glen Clark (03-18-2024), John C. (03-18-2024), TA111 (03-18-2024), The Joint (03-18-2024), walkon (03-18-2024)
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2024, 09:57 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Sullivan gets a lot right, and I think it's easy to overlook his contributions when you have a program with the type of support UD has. I don't follow many UD sports outside of men's basketball, but I think he seems like a good AD, certainly nothing transcendent though.

Tamika Williams-Jeter does not appear to be an ingenious hire. Took an excellent program under Shauna Green and immediately dragged it to the A10 basement. To TMJ's credit, they did take a small step forward this year, and she deserves a year or two more before anyone passes judgement, but hiring her after one good season at Wittenberg was a bold move.
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Sullivan gets a lot right, and I think it's easy to overlook his contributions when you have a program with the type of support UD has. I don't follow many UD sports outside of men's basketball, but I think he seems like a good AD, certainly nothing transcendent though.

Tamika Williams-Jeter does not appear to be an ingenious hire. Took an excellent program under Shauna Green and immediately dragged it to the A10 basement. To TMJ's credit, they did take a small step forward this year, and she deserves a year or two more before anyone passes judgement, but hiring her after one good season at Wittenberg was a bold move.
I hope you realize there was a mass exodus when Green left. She even took the two best players with her. I don't see how you can say Williams-Jeter dragged them to the bottom of the A-10. There wasn't much to work with that first season. It's way to early to judge her.

Last edited by longtimefan; 03-18-2024 at 10:20 AM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2024), John C. (03-18-2024), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-18-2024), shocka43 (03-18-2024), UD62 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:28 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
There are two ways for a team in the A10 (or similar) to make the tournament:

1. Win the conference tournament
2. Play a tough OOC schedule and win enough of those games, play relatively well in the conference

An AD has no control over how well the team plays in the conference tournament, or how well they play in conference. What the AD can do is get your coach those juicy OOC games where they can beef up the SOS and the analytics.

And Neil did just that - we are in the tournament as an at-large largely due to our OOC wins over SJU, UC, and LSU. The fact we played NW and Houston helped, too.

A lot of the scheduling of those teams probably has something to do with the fact that Flyer fans travel, so we get invited to Maui, Charleston, Atlantis, etc with more frequency than other teams in A10 or similar conferences.

I think it is a combination or Neil knowing what needs to be done but also he is sitting in a pretty good position due to these tournaments loving the Flyer faithful fannies in the seats and happy to get us a spot at their table.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2024), flyer016 (03-18-2024), Flyer69ers (03-18-2024), flyerfanatic86 (03-18-2024), jack72 (03-18-2024), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2024), TA111 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:43 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I knew Neil was a genius when it comes to scheduling back in the late aughts. He was not AD back then but for whatever reason was deeply involved in basketball scheduling. One day in our facilities management class he spent the entire period discussing his philosophy and UD's goal with non-con scheduling. It was incredible insight.

Over the proceeding two decades he's done nothing but improve. He is a master of OOC scheduling and we are not worthy.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-18-2024), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2024), TA111 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 11:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I knew Neil was a genius when it comes to scheduling back in the late aughts. He was not AD back then but for whatever reason was deeply involved in basketball scheduling. One day in our facilities management class he spent the entire period discussing his philosophy and UD's goal with non-con scheduling. It was incredible insight.

Over the proceeding two decades he's done nothing but improve. He is a master of OOC scheduling and we are not worthy.
Yes he is. He knows how to get 4-5 good Q1 type games and then schedule buy games against the top teams from lesser conferences. We played Oakland, Longwood and Grambling which all won their conference tournaments.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Joint (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 12:59 PM

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Wanters vs Wishers

Neil's job (And Grant's, too) would be a ton easier if the Flyer Faithful pulled out their checkbooks and donated to Dayton 6th/NIL fund.

This isn't 1984. Packing UD Arena, having top notch facilities, being on TV and surrounding the team with beer drinking coeds isn't enough to attract the best talent. Neil/Grant/Dayton 6th need money. Sad, but true.

So, if you WANT the Flyers to build off this season, you need to donate.

If you WISH the Flyers could build on this season, do nothing and you just might get what you're putting into it.

I 'wish' I was good at golf...I cannot say with a straight face that I 'want' to be good a golf because I refuse to pay for lessons, buy a nice set of clubs or go to the driving range regularly. And because I don't invest in my golf game, I can't complain about the 107 I'll eventually shoot at Heatherwood later this summer.

FWIW, I feel the same way about the complainers around UD Hoops. If you want the Flyers to get better, they need you to invest in them. Sad, but true.
It's 2024, not 1984. Neil is out there begging (politely) for NIL support. As much as I hate NIL (and stated 5+ years ago I'd drop my season tickets if players ever got paid to play) my love for the Flyers has somewhat swayed my priorities and opinion.

FWIW, I'm a 'wanter'. Who's with me?
1in25 (03-18-2024), cj (03-18-2024), flyerfanatic86 (03-18-2024), jack72 (03-19-2024), John C. (03-18-2024), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-18-2024), Radar (03-18-2024), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2024), The Fly (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:00 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
In addition to his skillful handling of the athletics program, he is a real mensch!
He along with a few UD staff were visiting Houston and I was invited to join them for lunch.
He had recently been hired, but I didn't know his position, so I asked.
He told me he was the new AD and added "I have work to do before I become a household name. Are you OK?" I had arrived late at the restaurant after being rear-ended.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:30 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
It took NIL to keep Holmes. And a relationship with Grant and the staff.

I’d hate to see what the season would have been without Holmes. Next year will be a challenge, big challenge to replace him.

NIL is what it is. I have contributed, was not thrilled and wish I could give more.

As much as we hate NIL, it will be the necessary evil to keep a pipeline of talent at UD.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Neil's job (And Grant's, too) would be a ton easier if the Flyer Faithful pulled out their checkbooks and donated to Dayton 6th/NIL fund.

This isn't 1984. Packing UD Arena, having top notch facilities, being on TV and surrounding the team with beer drinking coeds isn't enough to attract the best talent. Neil/Grant/Dayton 6th need money. Sad, but true.

If you WISH the Flyers could build on this season, do nothing and you just might get what you're putting into it.

I 'wish' I was good at golf...I cannot say with a straight face that I 'want' to be good a golf because I refuse to pay for lessons, buy a nice set of clubs or go to the driving range regularly. And because I don't invest in my golf game, I can't complain about the 107 I'll eventually shoot at Heatherwood later this summer.

FWIW, I feel the same way about the complainers around UD Hoops. If you want the Flyers to get better, they need you to invest in them. Sad, but true.
It's 2024, not 1984. Neil is out there begging (politely) for NIL support. As much as I hate NIL (and stated 5+ years ago I'd drop my season tickets if players ever got paid to play) my love for the Flyers has somewhat swayed my priorities and opinion.

Agreed. I’ve given some to Dayton 6th but plan on giving much more. If you have the ability, you should give.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2024, 01:39 PM
Brigadier General

CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I would rather the entire NCAA fold than give a dime to any NIL
Old 03-18-2024, 01:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
For what it's worth, the basketball cards they recently released are very well done imo. A good excuse to give some money if you were looking for one!
Old 03-18-2024, 01:41 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
There are two ways for a team in the A10 (or similar) to make the tournament:

1. Win the conference tournament
2. Play a tough OOC schedule and win enough of those games, play relatively well in the conference

An AD has no control over how well the team plays in the conference tournament, or how well they play in conference. What the AD can do is get your coach those juicy OOC games where they can beef up the SOS and the analytics.

And Neil did just that - we are in the tournament as an at-large largely due to our OOC wins over SJU, UC, and LSU. The fact we played NW and Houston helped, too.

A lot of the scheduling of those teams probably has something to do with the fact that Flyer fans travel, so we get invited to Maui, Charleston, Atlantis, etc with more frequency than other teams in A10 or similar conferences.

I think it is a combination or Neil knowing what needs to be done but also he is sitting in a pretty good position due to these tournaments loving the Flyer faithful fannies in the seats and happy to get us a spot at their table.
LSU had a lower final NET than 7 teams in the A10, which as we all know is a horrible conference. Why do people think this was a good win? P5 bias (by us for God's sake!) is the only explanation.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:43 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
I would rather the entire NCAA fold than give a dime to any NIL
I also don't give money to the NIL folks and likely never will but it is odd to me that someone who has such strong opinions on what needs to be done to better the basketball program feels no urge to be a part of the betterment.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (03-18-2024), rollo (03-18-2024), SeasonTicketFan (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:47 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I also don't give money to the NIL folks and likely never will but it is odd to me that someone who has such strong opinions on what needs to be done to better the basketball program feels no urge to be a part of the betterment.
If someone or some business wants to give money to NIL, I have no problem with that. It's their money.

There are just a lot more important charities that my family and I donate to that have effected us personally. Hopefully those donations will make a difference.
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
TX Flyer (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

If I donate anymore I would have to stop traveling for away games. Then people will complain we don’t support the team on the road in a never ending circle
Old 03-18-2024, 09:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Question on NIL for those in the know. Are the shoe companies, who were notorious for funneling money to athletes when it was illegal, endorsing and paying athletes now in the NIL era?
Old 03-18-2024, 10:12 PM
Brigadier General

The bookstore should have some sort of way to buy items and direct NIL money wherever the customer desires. Kind of like a reverse coupon code...

I was on the UD NIL site and theres not much there at all and what is there is not great.
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:54 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Why can't the King just coin some money and send it in on our behalf? Your face is on every bill so throw some royal weight around!

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Why can't the King just coin some money and send it in on our behalf? Your face is on every bill so throw some royal weight around!
So let it be written.
So let it be done.
Chris R (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 09:47 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Businesses can deduct NIL money as business expense. Advertising for example. I don’t think individuals can?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2024, 09:57 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Many NIL collectives are registered as non-profits and have been granted 501(c)(3) non-profit status. I don’t think you’re going to see Johnnie Lunch Bucket contributing much. If he can afford tickets, that’s how he supports the team. I compare it to the arts. Wealthy benefactors are the main contributors. It’s even free to go to the Metropolitan Art Museum (the Met can ask for donations but CANNOT require payment). If they want to sell Flyer’s Cookies, great. 1/4 zips? Awesome. The deep pockets need to stroke the big checks though!
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-19-2024), Radar (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 10:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Many NIL collectives are registered as non-profits and have been granted 501(c)(3) non-profit status. I don’t think you’re going to see Johnnie Lunch Bucket contributing much. If he can afford tickets, that’s how he supports the team. I compare it to the arts. Wealthy benefactors are the main contributors. It’s even free to go to the Metropolitan Art Museum (the Met can ask for donations but CANNOT require payment). If they want to sell Flyer’s Cookies, great. 1/4 zips? Awesome. The deep pockets need to stroke the big checks though!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dayton 6 is a non-profit, but I don't believe they are a 501(c)(3). I remember reading somewhere that the IRS was skeptical of collectives as 501(c)(3) so probably a wise decision by whoever was giving that advice to them.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:27 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It’s possible that they have applied and haven’t been approved yet. They may have to make some changes to the language. It would certainly be helpful to have 501(c)(3) status.
Posted via Mobile Device