User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Jim Paxson

I know he is held in pretty high regard by Flyer fans but I have never thought he was held high enough. I came across this article when answering the comparison of Mikesell to Paxson in the Mikesell thread. I had never heard of this previously and thought it was interesting.

http://www.celticslife.com/2012/06/w...im-paxson.html
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-24-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (07-19-2018), CT Flyer (07-19-2018), Justin (07-19-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-19-2018), MNFats (07-19-2018)
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
I always thought Jim Paxon individually was held in very high regard by the fans and by the City.

What you may be referring to is his standing when it comes to Flyer teams because not in one of the four years did the Flyers get to the NCAA tournament. And while the Flyers did make it into the NIT in his last two years, the NIT was just a shadow of its former self by then (compared to the fifties and sixties) and the Flyers never got past the quarterfinals.

This compares to say Don May or Henry Finkel when they were going great so was the team. Or Roosevelt Chapman who not only shined individually but the team shown as well.

This is not a negative on Jim but just the luck of the draw. Ralph Kiner was a tremendous home run hitter for the Pirates in the late forties and early fifties when the Pirates were the biggest losers in baseball (see movie Angels in the outfield). He goes down in history as a good player but if he played for the Yankees at that time his reputation would no doubt be higher. And even in Pittsburgh if his teams had gone to the world series rather than last place he would have a reputation greater than what it is.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
You may be right oldfan. It is not that he isn't held in high regard, I believe he was the best player to ever wear a Flyer uniform. But even on this mb, I rarely see anyone bring up Paxson but I guess that is because he had very few great wins to talk about - none in the NCAAT.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Jim Paxson Jr.

He was the best Flyer player never to be surrounded by good talent. His years at Dayton were one of Coach Donoher's biggest recruiting failures.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
He was the best Flyer player never to be surrounded by good talent. His years at Dayton were one of Coach Donoher's biggest recruiting failures.
I agree! He was the best I ever saw at moving without the ball. The player guarding him would always be the one who was "gassed" because he couldn't keep up. Eventually Jim would get open for an easy shot. I wish AG would get some old film out and show every one of our current players some old Jim Paxson tapes on moving without the ball.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (07-19-2018), JimBo (07-21-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
He was an NBA all-star. Any other Flyer ever do that?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-24-2018), Showme Flyer (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
You may be right oldfan. It is not that he isn't held in high regard, I believe he was the best player to ever wear a Flyer uniform. But even on this mb, I rarely see anyone bring up Paxson but I guess that is because he had very few great wins to talk about - none in the NCAAT.
I have no credentials to judge players. But Jim Paxson was the best I have ever seen in a flyer uniform.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 AM
1st Lieutenant

flyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to beholdflyerman is a splendid one to behold
During Mikesell's freshman season, I kept telling my friends he reminded me of Paxson and hoped he would become half as good as Jim. I agree he is the best I have ever saw wear a UD uniform mostly because of an insanely high Basketball IQ. He was always in the right place and a step ahead of his defender.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
If I got to pick first for a mythical fantasy UD team, it'd be hard for me to not pick Jim Paxson first. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves because he didn't do enough flashy stuff to really stick in our memories. Right now, we're talking about his movement away from the ball as something he was great at.

Before I go any further, NO ... I am not belittling moving without the ball.

I'm just saying it isn't something that sticks in our memory banks like the moves Chapman made, the dunks Wright had, the blow-by-scoops of Scoochie, etc.

Also, a good point about the lack of NCAA play. It's the reason why his brother is considered the better player by younger folks who never saw Jim play ... because John got exposure hitting big shots in the NBA Finals.

Although nowhere in the same class of player, I always felt bad that Andy Meyer played for such bad teams and probably didn't get as much love as he deserved either.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-24-2018), CE80 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have no credentials to judge players. But Jim Paxson was the best I have ever seen in a flyer uniform.
I concur, i watched many Dayton games where he took control of the game and put the game on his back. He was a lion and courageous. Brian Roberts did the same thing in his senior year.

I went to a Celtics vs Mavericks game and during shoot-arounds, Jim was hitting everything that he shot. The other players started to notice. Jim was laughing about it. But, i don’t think he even got to play in the game, at all, due to coaches decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone who seriously compares XXXXXX to Jim Paxson doesn't remember seeing Jim Paxson play. Nobody in a UD uniform in the past 40 years has even remotely come close doing everything Paxson could do, with or without the ball.
Bob G (07-20-2018), cj (07-20-2018), Fairborn Fan (07-20-2018), Justin (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Don May = best Flyer ever.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I was fortunate to see Paxson's work ethic first hand while on a work study job at the PAC (pre RecPlex). When HS tournaments took over the arena the team would practice in the field house and I was the door monitor. Before, during (when he was not involved in the scrimmage) and after each practice Paxson would go to a side court by himself and run his own shooting drills. Shooting, rebounding, going to another spot and shooting, rebounding, rinse, repeat.

That same year I had buddies at ND so went to our game vs the Irish (Tripucka, Woolridge, Laimbeer, etc). We were woefully undermanned but Paxson went off for something like 36 pts in a game we led most of the way until he mysteriously picked up a 5th foul and that's all she wrote. My buddies were complimentary and excited because at the time John had already committed to ND and all they heard was that John was better than Jim. John definitely had more success, but no way was he the better of the two.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Thanked 15,874 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Paxson got a standing ovation from the ND crowd after that 5th foul.
CE80 (07-20-2018), runnerup (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I was fortunate to see Paxson's work ethic first hand while on a work study job at the PAC (pre RecPlex). When HS tournaments took over the arena the team would practice in the field house and I was the door monitor. Before, during (when he was not involved in the scrimmage) and after each practice Paxson would go to a side court by himself and run his own shooting drills. Shooting, rebounding, going to another spot and shooting, rebounding, rinse, repeat.

That same year I had buddies at ND so went to our game vs the Irish (Tripucka, Woolridge, Laimbeer, etc). We were woefully undermanned but Paxson went off for something like 36 pts in a game we led most of the way until he mysteriously picked up a 5th foul and that's all she wrote. My buddies were complimentary and excited because at the time John had already committed to ND and all they heard was that John was better than Jim. John definitely had more success, but no way was he the better of the two.
I was at that game too. Still p!sses me off that we lost.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I was at that game too. Still p!sses me off that we lost.
I was at that game as well.

- I believe it was the only game Jim ever fouled out of during his college career
- After the game we strolled down on the court and right into the UD locker room. Got a bunch of player autographs - Jim Sr. was there as well - still have that program.
- Later we taught a bunch of ND pukes how to party, UD style. My ND buddy still talks about that weekend
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-21-2018), rollo (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I agree! He was the best I ever saw at moving without the ball. The player guarding him would always be the one who was "gassed" because he couldn't keep up. Eventually Jim would get open for an easy shot. I wish AG would get some old film out and show every one of our current players some old Jim Paxson tapes on moving without the ball.
Paxson was my favorite player to watch, while he didn't have the ball. An art you never see in today's game.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Out of curiosity I hit the google for some Jim Paxon videos. Here's the first to pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF1MZ3zNpMA

Incidently, isn't Jack Ramsay the reason JOB got the UD job?
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-24-2018), CT Flyer (07-24-2018), runnerup (07-24-2018), Runnin' Rebel (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, great stuff! And as many on here have mentioned his movement without the ball was something to see. Also makes me remember when I used to actually like and watch the NBA...when they actually used to run good sets!
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
Out of curiosity I hit the google for some Jim Paxon videos. Here's the first to pop up.

Wow - against Hakeem and pre-injury Sampson. They only had two good seasons together, and 84-85 (Hakeem's rookie year) was the only year they both went 20-10 with 2 blocks per game.

In 85-86, the Rockets took out the Showtime Lakers 4-1 but lost to the Celtics in the finals.

Last edited by FlyingArrow; 07-24-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Was this the same game the student section and many fans wore "NOTRE WHO?" T- Shirts?

I had my shirt for years, but at some point the Mrs. decided I may have outgrown it a bit, and tossed it. She is lucky I did not toss her out too
Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 PM

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Here is another video...this was an exhibition game in his rookie year, fresh out of UD.

And look at those short shorts! Lol.

And is that former UD assistant coach, Jim Ehler, in the stands around the 1:29 mark? Or am I way off?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by ud2; 07-24-2018 at 04:34 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-24-2018), Radar (07-25-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post

And is that former UD assistant coach, Jim Ehler, in the stands around the 1:29 mark? Or am I way off?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Jim Ehler, absolutely one of the greatest guys who walked this great earth. He lived in the neighborhood next to ours, and after meeting my daughter at basketball camp would stop and give her a few tips when he saw us in the driveway shooting baskets. Jim absolutely loved the game of basketball, and
he loved working with younger kids who enjoyed the game as well, right up to the day he passed. RIP Jim.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (07-25-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 04:53 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
No doubt that’s Ehler, and I believe that might be former SID Gene Schill sitting next to him. At the 1:05 mark, I’d swear that’s Jack Zimmerman sitting in the stands.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Wow - against Hakeem and pre-injury Sampson. They only had two good seasons together, and 84-85 (Hakeem's rookie year) was the only year they both went 20-10 with 2 blocks per game.

In 85-86, the Rockets took out the Showtime Lakers 4-1 but lost to the Celtics in the finals.
89% from the floor. You think Bill Fitch was yelling at them to close out Paxson on the left elbow? Torched 'em.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
If that's not Jack Zimmerman, I'd be shocked. It sure looks like him.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Canonball View Post

Yes, Dr. Jack is JOB’s father-in-law.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:52 AM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Was this the same game the student section and many fans wore "NOTRE WHO?" T- Shirts?

I had my shirt for years, but at some point the Mrs. decided I may have outgrown it a bit, and tossed it. She is lucky I did not toss her out too
The game I reference was in South Bend. But yeah, recall the Notre Who? shirts, sit down digger, toilet paper, etc.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Here is another video...this was an exhibition game in his rookie year, fresh out of UD.

And look at those short shorts! Lol.

+ YouTube Video
Definitely Jack Zimmerman in the video. And along with Ehler and Schill, there was also Jim Larkin and between Schill and Larkin is Bucky.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
He was an NBA all-star. Any other Flyer ever do that?
Roger Brown would have -- 4 time ABA all-star instead. Johnny Davis was close.

Undefeated: The Roger Brown Story (1:20)
https://www.pbs.org/video/wfyi-local...r-brown-story/

Side note, Brian Roberts quietly passed Negele Knight for 8th most minutes played, NBA career.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...college=dayton
Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Roger Brown would have -- 4 time ABA all-star instead. Johnny Davis was close.

Undefeated: The Roger Brown Story (1:20)
https://www.pbs.org/video/wfyi-local...r-brown-story/

Side note, Brian Roberts quietly passed Negele Knight for 8th most minutes played, NBA career.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...college=dayton
Looking at those stats... 21/21 is a lot of free throws to not have a miss. So I just checked to see if Don Smith has the record for most career free throws without a miss... and he did until this year. And he probably will again soon. Rookie Kobi Simmons of Memphis went 25/25 this year, but there's a good chance he'll miss one this year to hand the record back to Don Smith. Nobody else without a miss has more than 10 made free throws.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Jim Ehler, absolutely one of the greatest guys who walked this great earth. He lived in the neighborhood next to ours, and after meeting my daughter at basketball camp would stop and give her a few tips when he saw us in the driveway shooting baskets. Jim absolutely loved the game of basketball, and
he loved working with younger kids who enjoyed the game as well, right up to the day he passed. RIP Jim.
Coach Ehler coached my Dad at UD and myself in high school at Northmont. One of the great, funniest basketball minds I've ever met! He had some great lines when talking to the refs in games. The best story of him was when we were playing at Vandalia Butler my senior year. I had a pretty crappy first half to say the least. I was using the bathroom at halftime and he came up to me and said "Your Dad never played like that". Ouch.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hessbz12 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-25-2018), jack72 (07-25-2018), SeasonTicketFan (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hessbz12 View Post
Coach Ehler coached my Dad at UD and myself in high school at Northmont. One of the great, funniest basketball minds I've ever met! He had some great lines when talking to the refs in games. The best story of him was when we were playing at Vandalia Butler my senior year. I had a pretty crappy first half to say the least. I was using the bathroom at halftime and he came up to me and said "Your Dad never played like that". Ouch.
Coach Ehlers was a pure basketball junkie. He ate, slept, and thought about basketball all of the time. He considered himself, rightfully so, a teacher of the game. He loved the game at every level from CYO up to the NBA. Guys like him are invaluable to a college program.