Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Prestige Ranking

ESPN ranked all 300+ D-I basketball programs based on prestige since 1984. UD comes in at a tie for 168th with powerhouses such as Radford, Marshall, and Arkansas State. With the NCAA berths in the early 2000s, I would have thought we would be higher on the list. I think it's also a reflection on how bad the O'Brien years were. Though the poll is subjective and has little merit, it also serves as a reality check on posters on what we've really accomplished in the last 25 years.

Also, we finished ninth in the A-10 behind all but Fordham, St. Bonnies and Duquense. The top 8 were X, St. Joe, Richmond, Charlotte, G.W., La Salle, Rhode Island, and St. Louis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3481843#151
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
It is hard to complain when the Flyers haven't won an NCAA tournament game in over 20 years. But, times are a changin. I believe that UD will be talked about in a different manner soon

It is all about winning and UD has fallen short, even in their best years. I want to be ranked at the end of the season, the middle the season doesn't mean much to me and I don't think it means much to BG.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Based on my NCAA Tournament stats, since the 1990 Tournament, there have been 265 teams playing in the tournament. Of those, 145 have won at least one game. (Though this includes the few #16 teams that won the opening round game...Florida A&M over Lehigh in 2004, for instance.)

John

Last edited by Figgie123; 07-22-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Fixed data, 265 teams, not 267 teams...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

Spuds will become famous soon enoughSpuds will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GetFlyeredup View Post
ESPN ranked all 300+ D-I basketball programs based on prestige since 1984. UD comes in at a tie for 168th with powerhouses such as Radford, Marshall, and Arkansas State. With the NCAA berths in the early 2000s, I would have thought we would be higher on the list. I think it's also a reflection on how bad the O'Brien years were. Though the poll is subjective and has little merit, it also serves as a reality check on posters on what we've really accomplished in the last 25 years.

Also, we finished ninth in the A-10 behind all but Fordham, St. Bonnies and Duquense. The top 8 were X, St. Joe, Richmond, Charlotte, G.W., La Salle, Rhode Island, and St. Louis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3481843#151
Thanks for posting! At least ESPN gave some validity to these rankings when they assinged points for given categories. 168 is pretty pitiful, given the rich history and tradition that UD has. I wonder what the ranking would be if they went back to the 50s-60s. As all rankings and standings go, it's all about winning. Just win on the court and the rankings/standings will take care of themselves.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
This may help the confused on why we don't play the big boys at UD Arena.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
haha Bethune-Cookman tied for last
Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM

jcubspoe will become famous soon enoughjcubspoe will become famous soon enough
Absolutely pitiful. I'm at a loss as to why a university like ours that devouts just about all of it's resources to men's basketball is floundering as we are....
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
3 of our first 4 games are against 225 or worse teams... and wofford isnt even on the list. way to add to our prestige
Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jcubspoe View Post
Absolutely pitiful. I'm at a loss as to why a university like ours that devouts just about all of it's resources to men's basketball is floundering as we are....
Maybe because we're run by such devote Catholics.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udstevied_D87 View Post
3 of our first 4 games are against 225 or worse teams... and wofford isnt even on the list. way to add to our prestige
We didn't schedule Bethune-Cookman or Mercer. Playing them in the Chicago Invitational gives us the opportunity to play Marquette and Auburn. Maybe the Marquette game will add to our prestiege.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Maybe because we're run by such devote Catholics.
Good one.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
We didn't schedule Bethune-Cookman or Mercer. Playing them in the Chicago Invitational gives us the opportunity to play Marquette and Auburn. Maybe the Marquette game will add to our prestiege.
i know that, im just saying that it doesnt add to our prestige, and playing marquette and auburn in chicago really dont make up for the rest of the schedule...........which is a wholllle other topic in the other forums which im tired of talking about

Last edited by udstevied_D87; 07-21-2008 at 05:13 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

Muckem333 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Based on my NCAA Tournament stats, since the 1990 Tournament, there have been 267 teams playing in the tournament. Of those, 145 have won at least one game. (Though this includes the few #16 teams that won the opening round game...Florida A&M over Lehigh in 2004, for instance.)

John
Interesting Figgie.... could you put together a list of the more notable (if there are any) of those teams that havent won one tournament game since 1990? Have we heard of any of them?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Thanks for posting! At least ESPN gave some validity to these rankings when they assinged points for given categories.
No, they didn't. They count an NIT berth the same as an NCAA berth. Fail. Winning the SWAC counts the same as winning the Big East. Double fail.

This ranking, Titletown, being "Now", and $1.00 gets you a double cheeseburger from McDonald's.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmmm

It is just a ranking but I do have a simple issue on first glance at this. If you win a weak conference every year and only have 1 NCAA tournament victory in that time span you are in the top 50?

There is a reason you schedule southern conference teams in non-con ... it's called padding the schedule.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
If you remember where we were in the late eighties and early nineties, you feel pretty good about where we are now. Stark contrast. IMO, we are putting together a consistant post season appearance team.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Relax guys. They should re-name this poll the "What Have You Done for Me Lately" survey.

Had they taken this poll at the end of the '50s or the '60s, I would like to think that UD would be ranked a helluva lot higher.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Sobering and disgusting at the same time.

This ain't the 50's or 60's....that's ancient history.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

ChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to all
Right on Dirty

That's the problem with too many Flyer fans. They like to talk about the 50's and 60's like they were just last week. Well, Tom Blackburn's bones are not going to rise out of the grave, and belt strapped nut hugger shorts will not be the latest in uniform technology any time soon.

What can you really argue with here? They're simple, factual numbers. If this were the 'Calgon' Ancient Chinese Secret Poll, I'm sure we'd be up there. It could be argued Tom Frericks wasn't ready for the expansion/tv age and we've paid the price for it. Sad we're one of the bottom feeders of the A10 with our tradition.

But hey, the 50's and 60's are right around the corner for all you old guard. All you need is a DeLorean, design plans for the Flex Capacitor, and some low grade plutonium you received in trade from some Libyan terrorists.

Last edited by ChrisSFlyer; 07-21-2008 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
If the poll was for the past six years I would say it could be considered what have you done for me lately. 20 years without an ncaa win goes way beyond lately for me. I agree with the poster that this program is on the verge of very good things so it isn't anything to get bent out of shape about as it is past history. If the future didn't look MUCH brighter I wouldn't follow the team so closely.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
2nd Lieutenant

El Hombre will become famous soon enough
Who gives a **** about the 50s and 60s. The poll is fair enough. I think too many people on here think that others think higher of our program. They don't. It is what it is. Until we actually win a game or live up to our potential then we deserve to be in the bottom half of NCAA Men's programs.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisSFlyer View Post
Sad we're one of the bottom feeders of the A10 with our tradition.
I wouldn't exactly call us one of the bottom feeders of the A-10. After all, we have been to 3 NCAA's and 3 NIT's in the last nine years.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
At least ESPN gave some validity to these rankings when they assinged points for given categories.
I must be missing something. Where does it say how points were assigned? Another thing, they missed our Elite 8 run in 83-84 by one year. I assume that would have made a huge difference in the ranking.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited by longtimefan; 07-21-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Captain

hUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these parts
• National title … 25
• Title game loss … 20
• National semifinal loss … 15
• Elite Eight loss … 10
• Best record in conference's regular season … 5
• 30-plus wins in a season … 5
• Sweet 16 loss … 5
• Conference tournament title … 3
• AP first-team All-American … 3
• Losing in NCAA second round … 3
• Player in top 10 of NBA draft … 2
• NCAA first-round win as a 12-16-seed … 2
• NIT title … 2
• AP second-team All-American … 2
• 20-29 wins in a season … 1
• NCAA tournament berth … 1
• Postseason NIT berth … 1
• AP third-team All-American … 1
• NCAA first-round loss vs. 12-16-seed … -2
• Losing season … -3
• Ban from NCAA tournament … -3
>> Minimum 15 seasons in Division I
** Ties are broken by overall winning percentage since the 1984-85 season
^^ Teams are listed by their current conferences

We were among the teams that scored 0 points or less. uggghhh
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Easy there ChrisS. I ain't saying let's live in the past, but the fact is UD was a power then and we haven't been recently.

All of that is about to change. Let's revisit this scoring system in 2 years and see how we look then, shall we?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
1986 through 1996 (Averaging 12.92 wins, 16.82 losses, 0 NIT games and 2 NCAA games) is what kills us, so the choice of time periods isn't flattering for UD in this evaluation. 1997 through 2007 isn't looking too bad. (Averaging 19.82 wins, 11.64 losses, 10 NIT games and 3 NCAA games)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 AM
1st Lieutenant

ChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to allChrisSFlyer is a name known to all
That's fair Swamp. I was just saying it seems like too many people would rather hold onto ancient history instead of trying to help rewrite the history they are living in. Take the arena music for example. The staff there tried new music, and the old guard complained it wasn't like the old days. So we get Bob Seger, 18 year old Mike Buffer intros, and Cotton Eye Joe. I bet those people still think YMCA's in the top 10 on the pop charts.

I still get goosebumps when Enter Sandman was played for the UC game when the players ran out on the floor for warmups. We need more of that and less of Back to Life.

I equate it to some of what's going on with the Big 3. UD is like GM, once great in the 50's and 60's, but are now trying to maintain relevance in a changing market. The programs ranked higher in this poll are the Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai of the market. They figured out what the modern American wanted, and have grown exponentially for it.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Muckem333 View Post
Interesting Figgie.... could you put together a list of the more notable (if there are any) of those teams that havent won one tournament game since 1990? Have we heard of any of them?
You've probably heard of most of them, but didn't expect them to win.

(This is a list of teams that have played in the tourney since 1990, have not won a game and using current conference affiliations.)

Of the Big 6 Conferences: Baylor (0-1), Rutgers (0-1), Nebraska (0-5) (3, 8, 10, 6, and 11 seed, between 91 and 98)

Atlantic 10: Dayton, Fordham, LaSalle, St Bonaventure
Conference USA: East Carolina, Houston, Southern Methodist, Southern Mississippi, Central Florida
Missouri Valley: Drake (last year), Evansville, Missouri State, Northern Iowa

Most losses: Murray State (0-9)
3 with 5 losses: Holy Cross, Nebraska, and South Alabama
4 with 4 losses: Central Florida, Delaware, Iona, South Carolina State
Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hUDygrad View Post
• National title … 25
• Title game loss … 20
• National semifinal loss … 15
• Elite Eight loss … 10
• Best record in conference's regular season … 5
• 30-plus wins in a season … 5
• Sweet 16 loss … 5
• Conference tournament title … 3
• AP first-team All-American … 3
• Losing in NCAA second round … 3
• Player in top 10 of NBA draft … 2
• NCAA first-round win as a 12-16-seed … 2
• NIT title … 2
• AP second-team All-American … 2
• 20-29 wins in a season … 1
• NCAA tournament berth … 1
• Postseason NIT berth … 1
• AP third-team All-American … 1
• NCAA first-round loss vs. 12-16-seed … -2
• Losing season … -3
• Ban from NCAA tournament … -3
>> Minimum 15 seasons in Division I
** Ties are broken by overall winning percentage since the 1984-85 season
^^ Teams are listed by their current conferences

We were among the teams that scored 0 points or less. uggghhh
This is a moronic scoring system. 1 point for an NIT berth and 2 points for winning the whole da*n thing. . . yeah, that makes sense.

And the quality of your program over the last 20 years is somehow measured by NBA top 10 draft picks as being equal to winning the NIT tournament.

But, if you cheat to win (UMass), you get +10 for your elite 8 and -3 for doing it, so a net +7.

But the best part has to be that the quality of your program over the last 20 years is basically measured by a single lucky season. If you win 20 games and your conference tournament to get an NCAA bid, win with an upset in the first round, lose your 2nd round game (an automatic 5 points for winning as a 12 seed, something that happens nearly every year), and do it all on the back of a single guy who is a 2nd team all-American and gets drafted by the NBA in the top 10, you get:

1 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 2 = 14 points

Take the next 19 years off but avoid too many bad seasons and you're suddenly a top 100 (or better) program of the last 20 years.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
By my quick calcuations on a year by year basis
first ten years starting with Don Donoher's last year
-3 +8 -3 0 -3 -3 -3 0 -3 +2
total is negative 8

Last ten year starting with Oliver Purnell's fifth year
-3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +2 0 -3 0 +2
total is positive 7

Last edited by Furio; 07-22-2008 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I wouldn't exactly call us one of the bottom feeders of the A-10. After all, we have been to 3 NCAA's and 3 NIT's in the last nine years.
UD has only been in the A10 for the past 13 seasons. Regular A10 record of 116-92
which averages out to approx 9-7 per season.
The five losing season out of seven before UD joined the A10 is the killer.
The period starting with DD last 3 seasons and extending a season or two past the firing of Jim O'Brien are best forgotten.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
1 point for making the NCAA tournament
-2 for losing as a 4 seed.

We would have been better off being left out of the tournament according to this scientific system.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 PM
General

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
1 point for making the NCAA tournament
-2 for losing as a 4 seed.

We would have been better off being left out of the tournament according to this scientific system.
By the official scoring system that year was a failure, placing us in the worst 100 teams in D1.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Colonel

By the official scoring system that year was a failure, placing us in the worst 100 teams in D1.
UD was given +3 that year accorded to this flawed system
1 pt for 20+ wins 3 pts for winning the a10 tourney 1 pt for an NCAA bid
subtract 2 for the first round loss.

If I was setting up the system I'd give 2 pts for an NCAA bid 1 pt for an NIT bid
0.5 pt deduction for an upset first round loss.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Relax guys. They should re-name this poll the "What Have You Done for Me Lately" survey.

Had they taken this poll at the end of the '50s or the '60s, I would like to think that UD would be ranked a helluva lot higher.
If this were the end of the 60's, we'd be a helluva lot happier with the program...which hasn't done anything for us lately!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM
General

Originally Posted by Furio View Post
UD was given +3 that year accorded to this flawed system
1 pt for 20+ wins 3 pts for winning the a10 tourney 1 pt for an NCAA bid
subtract 2 for the first round loss.

If I was setting up the system I'd give 2 pts for an NCAA bid 1 pt for an NIT bid
0.5 pt deduction for an upset first round loss.
I forgot that we won the tournament that year.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

AQUDXU will become famous soon enoughAQUDXU will become famous soon enough
This is a moronic scoring system. 1 point for an NIT berth and 2 points for winning the whole da*n thing. . . yeah, that makes sense.

And the quality of your program over the last 20 years is somehow measured by NBA top 10 draft picks as being equal to winning the NIT tournament.

But, if you cheat to win (UMass), you get +10 for your elite 8 and -3 for doing it, so a net +7.

But the best part has to be that the quality of your program over the last 20 years is basically measured by a single lucky season. If you win 20 games and your conference tournament to get an NCAA bid, win with an upset in the first round, lose your 2nd round game (an automatic 5 points for winning as a 12 seed, something that happens nearly every year), and do it all on the back of a single guy who is a 2nd team all-American and gets drafted by the NBA in the top 10, you get:

Take the next 19 years off but avoid too many bad seasons and you're suddenly a top 100 (or better) program of the last 20 years.
This system is not to measure the quality of you program, but the prestiege of it.

While I disagrree with UMASS getting credit for their Final 4, I realize that most fans will remember their Final 4 appearance and forget (or never knew in the 1st place) that it was stripped. So in the general college basketball public's eye, their is prestiege there.

Likewise, winning NIT games is not prestiegous. And winning the NIT? How many typical CBB fans can name any of the last 5 NIT winners without looking it up. And for most all that can, it is because it somehow involved thier program. Had tOSU not knocked out UD, I doubt I'd know they won. If OP wasn't at Clemson, I doubt I'd know about their NIT run. And I can't remember if their won or lost the final.

That one magical year for Gearge Mason gave them a lot of prestiege. It did very little to improve the quality of their program, but in the CBB public eye, the prestige is there. Busting people's brackets, or making people's brackets is worth a lot. Have All-Americans and NBA guys that people remember, see on ESPN, and associate with your program add/subtract to the prestiege factor.

Winning your Mickey Mouse conference every year puts you on everybody's bracket. Everybody sees you, some pick you to win a game or two, and most everyone watches your game to se how their bracket is doing. So their is more prestiege to an ESPN matchup of Chattanooga @ Tennessee than UD @ Tennessee because CBB fans have seen Chattanooga on their brackets on a regular basis.

I thought ESPN did a pretty good job with this system.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
1986 through 1996 (Averaging 12.92 wins, 16.82 losses, 0 NIT games and 2 NCAA games) is what kills us, so the choice of time periods isn't flattering for UD in this evaluation. 1997 through 2007 isn't looking too bad. (Averaging 19.82 wins, 11.64 losses, 10 NIT games and 3 NCAA games)
Excellent point. We are much better off the last 10 years than the last 20 years. And, again, they missed our Elite 8 by one year.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
You've probably heard of most of them, but didn't expect them to win.

(This is a list of teams that have played in the tourney since 1990, have not won a game and using current conference affiliations.)

Of the Big 6 Conferences: Baylor (0-1), Rutgers (0-1), Nebraska (0-5) (3, 8, 10, 6, and 11 seed, between 91 and 98)

Atlantic 10: Dayton, Fordham, LaSalle, St Bonaventure
Conference USA: East Carolina, Houston, Southern Methodist, Southern Mississippi, Central Florida
Missouri Valley: Drake (last year), Evansville, Missouri State, Northern Iowa

Most losses: Murray State (0-9)
3 with 5 losses: Holy Cross, Nebraska, and South Alabama
4 with 4 losses: Central Florida, Delaware, Iona, South Carolina State

A notch worse than that would be Duquesne. Their last NCAA tournament game win was 1969.Their last NCAA tournament appearance was 1977.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AQUDXU
This system is not to measure the quality of you program, but the prestiege of it. . . . I thought ESPN did a pretty good job with this system.
Actually what ESPN says is "How do you rank the best programs in the modern era of college basketball?"

On the other hand, here is the definition of 'prestige': widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality

So sticking to prestige, is Richmond really more prestigious than Notre Dame, West Virginia and BC (i.e. do they have more respect and admiration when talking college basketball)?

Are Ball State and Coppin State really more prestigious than Tennessee?
Or Southern University and Louisiana-Monroe, more prestigious than Georgia or Cal?

I guess the A10 should be greatful we have LaSalle because they are as prestigious as USC and more than Miami (Fla.)?

Look at the College of Charleston at 50. They have only one NCAA win in the time period (1997) but are 50 becasue they only have 1 losing season in that time frame. Do fans really pay attention as to records of teams over the years? Do most fans off the top of their heads know which Big West or Bik Sky or American East team has the most consecutive non-losing seasons and is that more prestigious than a recent final four run (e.g. George Mason)?

If a school is more prestigious than another school than the best should want to go there (let me knoiw when Coppin State beats out Tennessee for a recruit).
Prestige assumes common knowledge (widespread respect and admiration) and many of these teams had runs that no one remembers because they haven't done anything lately.

Last edited by NCkevi; 07-22-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
2nd Lieutenant

El Hombre will become famous soon enough
The fact that so many of you are trying to mathematically spin this ranking is what bothers me. It is what it is....is it flawed, maybe...but we have not won a tourney game in 20 years. That is what is flawed. We have great fans but we have nothing to show for it. That's all there is to it. Do you think anyone on ESPN is saying "Dayton is much better than where they are placed"....heck no. It's always 'next year'. It is great to have hope which we all do....however, at some point our program and ADMIN needs to be held accountable.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
The fact that so many of you are trying to mathematically spin this ranking is what bothers me. It is what it is....is it flawed, maybe...but we have not won a tourney game in 20 years. That is what is flawed. We have great fans but we have nothing to show for it. That's all there is to it. Do you think anyone on ESPN is saying "Dayton is much better than where they are placed"....heck no. It's always 'next year'. It is great to have hope which we all do....however, at some point our program and ADMIN needs to be held accountable.
If you want to hold them accountable, fine. Do what you have to do.

But don't use some ESPN filler as an argument. They literally count an NIT berth the same as an NCAA berth. Any basketball fan knows that's dumb. In theory, a team could win the regular season SWAC title every year, make the NIT every year, all the while having a barely over .500 record and score pretty high. It's illogical from the get go.

This is just ESPN doing what they always do, filling time in the summer. It's no different than Titletown or "Who's Now?". I can't see the point of even reading it, let alone having actual discussion on its merits.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 PM
General of the Air Force

I don't disagree with what you said but I look at the talent on the floor. I think the players who are here now and coming in can be very good, and that gives you the chance of having a team that can make runs in the NCAA. Thankfully the short term future looks much better than the past 20 years
Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

It always seems like we are going 'all in' on next year or the year after that. Last year was supposed to be 'next year' and look what happened. It can all turn on a dime. I'm hopeful too, but I don't know if we can assume that we will be headed for greater success in the next two years. We have the elite player to take us there, we just need to have the others fall into place in their roles. That last part is why we were so good in the early 00's.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute

Adjust the time periods to include David Robinson, and does Navy become a top 30 program?

I certainly wouldn't put UD in the top tier over the past 20 years, but this scoring system is garbage.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Colonel

Pointing out flaws in this model is not an attempt by myself to make the UD record of the past 24 years look better. I don't need an elaborate model to tell me that there were 10 losing seasons in the last 24 years. Two entirely different issues. I simply feel ESPN could have done a better job. If anything I would argue those 4,6,7 win seasons should have been given a much worse rating.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:10 AM
General

Following Furio's point, I hope no one got the impression that I thought UD got screwed by the scoring system. We don't deserve much more than that right now.

But the scoring system was still moronic.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

It isn't the smartest scoring system, that I definitely agree