Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Major

Donniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant future
OP Resigns (Retires?) at DePaul

OP deserves credit for helping UD rebuild after the JOB era.
Never had a chance at DePaul, no coach would when you play in a barn
like Allstate Arena 22 MILES from their campus

On a side note, GO FLYERS! So proud of this team and coach
Be loud and proud those that are at Barclay's tomorrow
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Donniex3Era For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (03-15-2015), ruechalgrin (03-15-2015)
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
Don't think he "resigned" by choice, pushed out is more likely, but who knows? Had to be tough ending the season on that losing streak.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
I always thought he took the DePaul job to collect a nice paycheck and just kind of coast to retirement. He's "only" 61 (I thought he was older than that for some reason) so he might take another job, but I bet it will be a relatively low-pressure job.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Donniex3Era View Post
OP deserves credit for helping UD rebuild after the JOB era.
Never had a chance at DePaul, no coach would when you play in a barn
like Allstate Arena 22 MILES from their campus

On a side note, GO FLYERS! So proud of this team and coach
Be loud and proud those that are at Barclay's tomorrow
You are right, sir. Recruiting to All-State Arena must be like recruiting to Alcatraz. The most depressing, uncomfortable arena I have ever seen a basketball game in. Much more suited to circuses and tractor pulls than college basketball games.

I wish OP all the best if it is his swan song at DePaul. He's a class act.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
PerrymanFan (03-14-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Dont they open a new state of the art on campus arena next year? If so, im guessing forced out, why leave when the one thing they really needed is finally occurring?
Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
True, it's a publicly funded arena (about 10K) that will also be a part of Chicago's convention set up near McCormack Place, so it will be used for trade shows, etc., the rest of the year. It should be a lot easier to watch a game there. But then, anything would be better than the All-State Arena. It always amazes me that All-State, headquartered in Chicago, got talked into putting it's name on that dump. Naming rights must have come dirt cheap. If not, they overpaid.

At the same time, the new arena is maybe 8-10 miles East of the DePaul campus. Not an "on campus" court by a long shot. But still better than 22 miles away, as is the All-State Arena.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
It may be state of the art, but from what I heard, it's going to be on the south end of downtown, which is still @ 5 miles or so from campus. Not exactly walking distance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2015, 01:03 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
First of all the All State Arena is only 12 miles from campus in Rosemont. Granted this could take you nearly an hour with traffic. Although it's not a modern facility it isn't a bad place to see a basketball game. I've been to a number of games there. I can tell you that back in the Meyer era, the attendance there was good. Support from the greater Chicago community was also good. I don't think they'll ever have a strong student following. The campus is split with some class administered in the Lincoln Park and others downtown. The campus is land locked and doesn't alllow an on-campus site. The new complex will be complete in 2017. It's will be located about 7 miles from main campus. There was much public debate on where the new facility should be built. The school didn't have a better option, there simply isn't a place to build a stadium. Here's how the arena will be funded. "Funding for the arena will comprise $70 million from DePaul, $70 million from the McPier bond fund and $33 million from public taxes."
Old 03-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Lieutenant General

Most would agree, I think, anything is an improvement over All-State, though some seem like it.

DePaul is land-locked, its main campus is in a very expensive area on the fashionable near North side. Getting land and building even a small arena on campus would be way too expensive. Forget about parking altogether, because even residents have trouble finding a space.

The new multi-purpose arena is the best alternative. It is on an L line that connects with the DePaul campus. Don't know if I'd want to ride the L trains back to the dorm after a night game without a group of burly friends to accompany me though.

Good Luck with it.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I was watching the pregame talk on CBSSports yesterday when I noticed the scroll underneath concerning OP. Must say I was surprised as although they did not finish well, they had there moments and I thought OP would be staying.

I think they let him walk rather than "Quote" fire him But I really believed that he would have at least one more year.

WHen you think back to when OP was here it seems like many seasons ago for sure. When you think of where we were before OP, wandering in the desert of BB land and he led us to an oasis where we could drink from the water of life giving energy once again.

For UD BB it was a struggle to get away from the awful JOB years and although it was not always pretty after ALL this time and in what IS a LONG TIME I am beginning to see a resurgence in the program like I haven't seen since the DD years. The program having consecutive successful seasons and IN the NATIONAL discussion.

Nope it hasn't been this way since really the 1960's and MR OP started it for us!

Thank you Sir! And GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide to do!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I liked OP and thought it was a smart decision by UD to hire an experienced coach with a winning record and background as OP had at Old Dominion. He turned our program around and put it on the right road. I was never a big fan of hiring the "hot assistant" but I am now (Go Archie). But hasn't OP always gotten out before something happened to him - UD, Clemson and now DePaul. I do think he was an example of a coach always looking for his next job down the road. I go back to the 64-68 Meyer days and the highlight of DePaul basketball and, although DePaul, was a big paycheck, it is a program in despair. I always thought move to Big East was mistake and should have stayed with Midwestern routes.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
OP's replacement being named......

Reports from G Parish and several other sources are that DePaul will hire former Blue Demons coach Dave Leitao to replace OP! Evidently the guy coached at DePaul for a three year time frame (maybe 2002-05) and the Blue Demons made what was there last NCAA appearance (ouch) during his tenure!

I don't know, OP doesn't sound all that bad given who will now take the helm!

Lots of names mentioned-----kinda' interesting------in a bad way if your a Blue Demon fan?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
Reports from G Parish and several other sources are that DePaul will hire former Blue Demons coach Dave Leitao to replace OP! Evidently the guy coached at DePaul for a three year time frame (maybe 2002-05) and the Blue Demons made what was there last NCAA appearance (ouch) during his tenure!

I don't know, OP doesn't sound all that bad given who will now take the helm!

Lots of names mentioned-----kinda' interesting------in a bad way if your a Blue Demon fan?
He beat UD and Brian Gregory in the 2004 NCAA Tournament.