User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Why not the American Athletic Conference?

This Big East thing where they are not accepting us or are making us beg to get in is really gnawing on me. There's only one reason they haven't invited us is because at least one team is afraid of us. It's not because we're not worthy, it's because X has a say in it and they don't want to lose what they gained on us.

We are now very close to what we were when we were up at the top and X was chasing us. X will play politics to not let that happen. So I ask.

Why not look into a potentially better conference? The one with UC, a team that's never been afraid of us politically? The one who let us join their conference for one year while we were one of the dregs of college basketball over X? The conference with UConn that has won more NCAA tournaments than anyone in the Faux Big East? The one with quality teams like Temple, Memphis and SMU.

Why are we sitting still and hoping for a Big East invite? I have a feeling that if we courted the AAC, the Big East would sweep down and change their tune regarding us. If they don't, they're screwed because we will help the conference we join overtake them.

I don't know, but it seems to me that the only reason the Flyers are not invited to the Big East, is not because we're not worthy, it's because certain schools are afraid of us. Maybe if we open up our options, then they'll beg us rather than have us waiting for them to grace us with their BS privilege of inviting us?

It just makes me sick to my stomach that teams like Providence, Creighton and especially X, don't want us there because they don't want us overtaking them. Providence and Creighton never were over any period of time, a better basketball program than UD, and X has been lately, but everyone knows that's temporary. Let's court other conferences that with just adding us, over takes that arrogant conference that really has no reason to be arrogant.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-29-2015 at 10:09 PM..
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Major

Flyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the rough
Football.
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer1995 For This Totally Excellent Post:
224 (03-30-2015), Alberto Strasse (03-30-2015), CJ43 (03-30-2015), DallasFlyer (03-29-2015), Drugs Delaney (03-29-2015), flyerfanatic86 (03-30-2015), longtimefan (03-30-2015), m21eagle45 (03-29-2015), rasta man (03-30-2015), ruechalgrin (03-29-2015), SacramentoFlyer (03-31-2015), THirt (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 10:14 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer1995 View Post
Football.
I'm sorry, but does UConn have a national power in football? I think that's what you are referring to because I know the Faux big east doesn't. Does Memphis? Does UCF?

I do know what you mean, they are ahead of UD, but realistically we all know that they aren't going anywhere in football. But that is an answer to why they won't consider us I guess. Oh well. So the only reason a non-football conference can crap on us is because we don't have competitive football team.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-29-2015 at 10:18 PM..
Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to behold
It is irrelevant. The AAC is a DI football conference, Dayton does not fit.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD94 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (03-30-2015), IAFlyer (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by UD94 View Post
It is irrelevant. The AAC is a DI football conference, Dayton does not fit.
I understand. But once the Big 5 get done bullying their way with the NCAA, those schools won't last as football programs either.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Major

Flyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the roughFlyer1995 is a jewel in the rough
The American is a Football conference that plays basketball. It doesn't matter how relevant the programs are It is D1 football conference period. Dayton does not fit the mold at all imo. It won't happen unless we magically get a FBS football program or the conference decides to make Basketball a priority whcih I doubt is happening. Sorry We aren't going to the AAC
Mad Props to Flyer1995 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Not going to happen.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand the obsession with the NBE. Look at how poorly they performed in the Big Dance. Look at the two coaches they just hired, and the one who can't skip town fast enough. Look at the laughable ratings their games are getting on Fox.

Now look at our program. We are competing for the conference championship every year. We are a regular in the Big Dance, and we actually beat good teams once there. We have one of the best young coaches in the game. We have good TV exposure, and a strong fan following and support....

Right now, we are exactly where we need to be. The A10 is almost on par with the NBE, and the only reason we are not are the two or three teams at the bottom of the conference. If you take our top 10 teams and the NBE's ten, we are every bit as good.

I suggest we all enjoy the situation we have, keep winning, and wait for the NBE to come calling once they come to their senses.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-29-2015), bhflyer5 (03-30-2015), bobber (03-29-2015), Columbia Blue (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Football will keep us out of the AAC but doesn't prevent us from scheduling Memphis, Cincy and Temple--all winnable games in the RPI 40-60 range. Dare I say it--replace the Miami series with one of these three.
Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
In several years the AAC as we know it will no longer exist. Right now it is merely a holding tank for football schools who want in to a P5 conference.

Cincy, UConn, Memphis, maybe Temple etc. will fly the coop at the first invitation. They will be replaced with schools moving up from CUSA. Oh yeah, then there's football.

We would regret the move.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (03-29-2015), Gazoo (03-30-2015), m21eagle45 (03-29-2015), ruechalgrin (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Lets spend a few bucks and upgrade the football program and hire a former UD grad and Super Bowl Coach. Problem fixed. All we need is money, a new stadium and some perks.

Actually on the Holylandofhoops someone actually stated that there was a deal in the works to add a few schools while losing a couple and Dayton was listed. Now that sounds crazy but a few years back coach Calhoun of UConn said they needed to add Dayton to the conference. Think UConn was in the Big East at the time.

Personally I am content where we are for now, let the conference next alignment shake out which it will when schools will have to decide if they will pay their athletes. Some have already stated they would not, UAB even went so far as to drop football altogether.

P5 are not finished aligning/adding/removing schools/programs yet. Domino affect could kill a conference like NBE as some rumors have indicated schools like Georgetown want out.

Compare A-10 to NBE. Coaches in A-10 staying put while coaches in NBE exiting. Stevens, Williams, Holtman wanting out, Lavin pushed out, Purnell retired, then look at the replacements. Only delusional NBE fans think they are a major conference.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
In addition to the reasons above, I do not see the AAC as better than the A-10.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-30-2015), m21eagle45 (03-29-2015), THirt (03-30-2015), Townie (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the money is greater but I like where we are and with AM, increased exposure and recruiting, UD is trending upward. I think you have to know your program, fan base, recruiting base etc.

Providence because of its history and location belongs where it is. I thought their recruiting would pick up when Boston College went south. I still think that Butler, Creighton, Xavier and maybe Cincinnati and Temple made long term mistake s changing. I think that Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College made big mistakes leaving their historical roots for whatever reasons (money, football) and it would be too expense for them to buy out and return. I understand and get the "football" angle.

I am very happy being in the A10, working with VCU, URI, SJU, to strengthen the conference and beat NBE, AAC and ACC teams when we have the chances because only the bottom dwellers in those leagues will come to us to schedule games to improve their RIPs, SOS etc.

This is way too much thinking for a Monday morning.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
In several years the AAC as we know it will no longer exist. Right now it is merely a holding tank for football schools who want in to a P5 conference.

Cincy, UConn, Memphis, maybe Temple etc. will fly the coop at the first invitation. They will be replaced with schools moving up from CUSA. Oh yeah, then there's football.

We would regret the move.
Fly the coop to where exactly? I could see Cincinnati to the B12 along with BYU, but if that was going to happen why hasn't it happened yet?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 AM
1st Lieutenant

Source is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these partsSource is infamous around these parts
1. X is not afraid or preventing UD's inclusion into the BE.
2. Georgetown seems to be the school that approves inclusion.
3. All the alignment talk is waiting for one huge turn of events: Texas to the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten can lure them and dissolve the Longhorn TV Network into FOX/Big Ten Network then the dominoes fall again. Oklahoma and Baylor are prepared to bolt to the Pac 12 if/when this happens. One snag is Kansas. Texas wants to bring the Jayhawks but the Big Ten does not desire their football program. This all affects the AAC. Memphis, UC, and UCONN have unsuccessfully inquired to inclusion into the ACC. The ACC visited UC shortly after UL was added. UC is currently adding millions in renovations to Nippert all to get invited into the ACC.

It's a no-brainer. UD is at the top of the Big East wish list. Who the #2 team to bring it to 12 is the question.
St John's made a solid hire with Mullin. He's going after top help from the NYC area for recruiting. I'm not sure what Depaul was thinking with Leiato. Butler will be fine. Marquette with Wojo will be top 25 next season. Top 5 incoming class next season.

Hang in there. All the Big 5 conferences will be aligned with 16 teams.
Mad Props to Source For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Texas to the B1G talk has been going on for a few years. There is one qualifier for inclusion into the B1G. Be an AAU member. What gets lost in message board sports convos is academics. The B1G is prestigious. KU would be in a small group that would be considered because they are an AAU member. If football was the driving force then Rutgers would not be in the conference. GT was strongly rumored also. If the B1G had it to do over they wouldn't have included Nebraska.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Source View Post
1. X is not afraid or preventing UD's inclusion into the BE.
2. Georgetown seems to be the school that approves inclusion.
3. All the alignment talk is waiting for one huge turn of events: Texas to the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten can lure them and dissolve the Longhorn TV Network into FOX/Big Ten Network then the dominoes fall again. Oklahoma and Baylor are prepared to bolt to the Pac 12 if/when this happens. One snag is Kansas. Texas wants to bring the Jayhawks but the Big Ten does not desire their football program. This all affects the AAC. Memphis, UC, and UCONN have unsuccessfully inquired to inclusion into the ACC. The ACC visited UC shortly after UL was added. UC is currently adding millions in renovations to Nippert all to get invited into the ACC.

It's a no-brainer. UD is at the top of the Big East wish list. Who the #2 team to bring it to 12 is the question.
St John's made a solid hire with Mullin. He's going after top help from the NYC area for recruiting. I'm not sure what Depaul was thinking with Leiato. Butler will be fine. Marquette with Wojo will be top 25 next season. Top 5 incoming class next season.

Hang in there. All the Big 5 conferences will be aligned with 16 teams.
Texas is a long-time AAU member, but wouldn't Texas be a geographic outlier? I thought I read somewhere all Big Ten schools had to be to be in states that are adjacent one another.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
What was DePaul thinking? The same thing they've been thinking with all of their coaching hires, that coaches should be beating down their doors to coach there. Despite playing in Chicago and having a ton of high caliber local recruits in a 30 mile radius, its never come together for them (or at least rarely) since Meyer left the sidelines. Seems like they always shoot for the stars, but land somewhere amongst the weeds. Ironically, I though Purnell was the perfect hire for them. His track record of turning programs around from the bottom to the upper tier of his conference is remarkable, yet he couldn't get it done at DePaul.

I don't know what its going to take up there, but it needs to start with the AD. They need someone who is going to energize the city, which is tough considering that its a pro town. They need to realize that this is a problem that is going to take more than 4 years to fix. They need to get out into the neighborhoods, boys & girls clubs, churches, synagogues, etc.. and convince, if not give away perhaps even include the bussing as well, young kids in the city to become engaged in DePaul basketball. Get them in the door and get them to start filling their heads that playing at DePaul would be "awesome" when they grow up. Get parents in the city wanting to take their kids on their own dime to a game. Start filling up the arena and building some sort of support.

I don't follow them all that closely, but it seems like UD has had more success recruiting w/n the top 10 city kids over the last decade than DePaul has. Illinois generally recruits the city very well, then throw on top if it guys like Komanski & Parker who leave the state all together. Perhaps I'm spoiled, having grown up in a city that supports its flyers thru thick and thin and has a true love affair with the basketball program, I've never had the sense that DePaul has been anything more than a blip on Chicago sports over the last 2 decades. There is so much potential there, but who knows when it will ever be realized again.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Totally incongruent with today's conference shifts.

The AAC! Now there is a match made in heaven. Some really good natural rivalries could be developed there.

Can't wait to play these twice a year:

South Florida
Central Florida
South Central Houston
East Carolina
Memphis (at least we liked their arena)
Tulsa
SMU

Are they all going to join the Pioneer?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This Big East thing where they are not accepting us or are making us beg to get in is really gnawing on me. There's only one reason they haven't invited us is because at least one team is afraid of us. It's not because we're not worthy, it's because X has a say in it and they don't want to lose what they gained on us.

We are now very close to what we were when we were up at the top and X was chasing us. X will play politics to not let that happen. So I ask.

I don't know, but it seems to me that the only reason the Flyers are not invited to the Big East, is not because we're not worthy, it's because certain schools are afraid of us. Maybe if we open up our options, then they'll beg us rather than have us waiting for them to grace us with their BS privilege of inviting us?

It just makes me sick to my stomach that teams like Providence, Creighton and especially X, don't want us there because they don't want us overtaking them. Providence and Creighton never were over any period of time, a better basketball program than UD, and X has been lately, but everyone knows that's temporary.
I feel your pain, but I don't think X is scared of us. They may not like having us in the NBE, but I think it's more of an inferiority complex. They have been consistently more successful over the past 10 years than us, but we consistently get more national press and have a significantly larger and more passionate fan base than they do. Our Elite8 run last year, Archie Miller, the First Four, all get more press than X does, year over year. Now, throw in our Elite8 women's team, and X is saying "Hey, what about us?" At the end of the day though, I still firmly believe it's 70% a money issue and 30% all of the things we discuss on this board. All we can do is keep winning
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I thought I read somewhere all Big Ten schools had to be to be in states that are adjacent one another.
That is a myth.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheg View Post
That is a myth.
Correct. The rule is that the school has to be in a state adjacent to another state. No Hawaii and Alaska.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
As much as BG has struggled at GT I think he would have been a good choice for the DePaul program. His roots are there and he loves to recruit that area. That is one place where he could prosper. But having turned them down not once but twice I think the blacklisted him.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (03-30-2015), rollo (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Texas is not leaving one of the strongest football and basketball and track and baseball conferences, that allows them to play games with natural rivals to go anywhere. The SEC would be a better move for them, than any other conference than their own. Having lived out that way, I can tell you the people, right or wrong, have little interest in the Big10.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
The tenure of Ray Meyer wasn't all that at Depaul. Had a good 6 year in the 40s when he started and then spent the next 25 years wandering in the wilderness. Everything changed with Aguirre (read whatever you want into that) and he ended with a good ~8 year run.

Since then they have been wandering for the last 30 years. Nobody cares about Depaul basketball in Chicago.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Correct. The rule is that the school has to be in a state adjacent to another state. No Hawaii and Alaska.
There is no 'rule' or 'policy' regarding B10 expansion that includes such language...there is only Commish Delaney's preference that expansion only include U's from adjacent member states.

The criteria for expansion only includes: large public research Universities, AAU member schools, new territory to expand the base...and Delaney's 'adjacent' preference.

I imagine all Conferences have that 'new territory' policy, which is why the BigEast won't even look at UD...which is fine with me.
Avid Flyer (03-30-2015), ruechalgrin (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Besides that fact UD doesn't have scholarship football, the American conference sucks. I would much rather stay in the A-10.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Captain

axehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really niceaxehandle is just really nice
I can see that as things stand the AAC is not an option; however, can they be a source on non-conf games?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to axehandle For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2015), IAFlyer (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:08 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Even if they took us as a non-football member it doesn't seem like a great trade to me. It's more like change for change's sake.

Now, if we recombined the conferences into a "real" basketball conference and a "New Horizon League" conference, that would be a fine conference to join.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
The AAC wouldn't be terrible as it's currently constituted:

UConn
Cincinnati
Memphis
Temple
Tulsa
SMU

but it would be a poor cultural fit. That and the fact that all of those schools have one foot out the door (primarily the top three) for a better football conference makes it very unappealing, because then you'd be left with

Tulane
UCF
USF
Houston
ECU

blech.

I've always thought that the AAC would be a good home for VCU (if the A10 deteriorates) and Wichita State, and UMass may find a home there in the future.