UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Which Flyer played like a Widget last night, causing My Flyers to lose to Penn?
DDavis 37 min, 5 pts, 1/7 shooting 3s 14 29.79%
Crutcher 3 pts, 0 assists, 0 steals, 2 TOs 1 2.13%
Svoboda 7 pts, 1/5 on 3s 1 2.13%
Kostas 0 pts in 1st half, 0 defense all game 8 17.02%
All 5 starters...no energy, no D 23 48.94%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
UnGolden Widget Award...loss to Penn?!?!

Since Widget failed to post a Golden Rollo spinoff poll after yesterday's loss, it looks like the King has to get back to work. C'mon Widget...if you're going for a takeover of my Kingdom, you can't be a one-and-done. For that reason, today's Golden Rollo poll is named for you!

With that said, whose play Royal stunk up my UD Arena yesterday afternoon? There are quite a few unRoyal choices...have at it.
Widget (12-11-2017)
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Grant Took Responsibility

for the defeat based on poor preparation. He deserves the Sparky Anderson award for falling on the sword on behalf of his players. I certainly wish AG a long and successful career as the Dayton coach. I also trust his instincts. I do know this. The first semester final examination week for Freshmen is no joke. Their minds were anywhere but on hoops and for good reason.
This Dayton team should not be judged on their performance against Penn yesterday. They will play better hopefully sooner rather than later. I respectively offer some lessons learned from the game.
Kostas is not yet in the NBA where stars are given special treatment and players run their mouths to intimidate opponents and referees. He is a young Freshman on a currently bad Dayton team trying to get better. He needs a check up from the neck up and I trust AG will
respond accordingly. I believe Dayton is still a program where a Freshman who earns a technical foul will be given a seat next to the coach.
John Crosby and Matej Svoboda have earned more playing time. They are learning the value of the pass to the post. MS is highly skilled offensively but struggles in man defense on the perimeter. He can guard post players very effectively in man defense. Jordan Davis is a potential team scoring leader. He struggles in man defense guarding smaller quick players who can dribble to the hoop. Jalen Crutcher is the future of Dayton at PG and shows fine skills on both ends of the court. His quickness and scoring ability are fine and he can spell Crosby quite well. I like Lander's energy off the bench and replacing him in the starting lineup with a better shooter may solve the Dayton Slow Start Blues.
For now upward and onward. Good luck to all the students this week. Athletics awaits!
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
No place for Kostas' antics on a BB court. Sure the Penn guys were A holes when they baited him, but you cannot take the bait.

DD saw some great defense on him, and it got in his head and made him a non factor.

Landers needs to be on the list. He was a starter that gave us almost nothing, but some ole defense.

I thought Matej played a decent game. The three point shooting is getting in his head, and that is not good (see DD). Too many people expected a polished mature player, which he is not. Europe puts out a few nice players, but the US is light years ahead of them. He is a freshman.

Crutcher was a dumpster fire. A zero assist game followed by eight assists and yesterday zero. Yep, he is a freshman.

I might give my vote to Archie, who left the cupboard bare, or to the coach who got our classes so out of whack, probably Oliver. Sometimes hard to blame new players and a new coach, but hey, that is today's world, someone is to blame and we must find that person. I vote for Trump.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-11-2017), ruechalgrin (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Landers would have been a candidate had he played more than 10 minutes. The rest of the list includes players who didn't do squat and played a lot.
Flyer 86 (12-11-2017), ruechalgrin (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Since Widget failed to post a Golden Rollo spinoff poll after yesterday's loss, it looks like the King has to get back to work. C'mon Widget...if you're going for a takeover of my Kingdom, you can't be a one-and-done. For that reason, today's Golden Rollo poll is named for you!

With that said, whose play Royal stunk up my UD Arena yesterday afternoon? There are quite a few unRoyal choices...have at it.

I'd have a good retort for this if I was clever..

That being said, I chose Kostas. Mainly for attitude
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Widget For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
No place for Kostas' antics on a BB court. Sure the Penn guys were A holes when they baited him, but you cannot take the bait.
I agree. Further, CAG should have pulled him and even if it was for a few minutes, calmed him down.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I might give my vote to Archie, who left the cupboard bare
Agree with classes being out of whack. Personally, I've moved on from AM. However, this would have been big Steve's Senior year. Having him and/or Kostas on the floor all the time, would be quite an advantage. XW being out doesn't help either. He was a solid contributor last year. Not saying any of this that helps our guard play.

This freshman class can be a good thing. Crutcher, Kotas, Davis, appear to be talented enough to improve into much better players. Svoboda will be role guy, and may be more.

After the Georgia State game, the Flyers will be 1/3 of the way through the schedule. It will be interesting to see what was learned, improved, or deteriorated in the first 10 games.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Agree with classes being out of whack. Personally, I've moved on from AM. However, this would have been big Steve's Senior year. Having him and/or Kostas on the floor all the time, would be quite an advantage. XW being out doesn't help either. He was a solid contributor last year. Not saying any of this that helps our guard play.

This freshman class can be a good thing. Crutcher, Kotas, Davis, appear to be talented enough to improve into much better players. Svoboda will be role guy, and may be more.

After the Georgia State game, the Flyers will be 1/3 of the way through the schedule. It will be interesting to see what was learned, improved, or deteriorated in the first 10 games.
This would have been Steve's senior year, but only third year of basketball. Would have been nice to have Kostas learn from Steve.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-11-2017), UDTradition (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
DD without a doubt. Yes, Kostas played and reacted poorly. He's a freshman, mistakes will be made. DD is a senior and yet at times has that deer in the headlights look. He had that look yesterday, bewildered and befuddled. As a Sr, I expect more.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:12 PM

I couldn't vote for 'All 5 Starters' because Cunningham was one of them. The other 4 starters stunk up the place...but only 1, IMRO, was worthy of the unGolden Widget Award, and that's DDavis.
Figgie123 (12-11-2017), Flyer 86 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I think you need a nemesis Rollo. I'll embrace the role of the heel.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Widget For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-11-2017), FLYER5 (12-11-2017), rollo (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't get a chance to go to or watch this game, thank God. So who knows.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Widget View Post
I think you need a nemesis Rollo. I'll embrace the role of the heel.
I do-eth hereby decree that from this day-eth forward, the poster formerly known as widget, be hereby refereed to as thy royal Heel. With the power of thyne golden scepter, may the Royal force be with you.

So let it be written.

So let it be done.

King Rollo the Anointer...out!

Last edited by rollo; 12-11-2017 at 08:53 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-11-2017), Widget (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
It's early but I seriously read that as Royal farce. Please capitalize from now on. -Minion #5.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-11-2017), Widget (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Minion #5 and Heel #2

Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
It's early but I seriously read that as Royal farce. Please capitalize from now on. -Minion #5.
I do-eth hereby decree that from this day-eth forward, the poster formerly known as flyer5 (all lower case letters), be hereby refereed to as thy royal Heel #2. With the power of thyne golden scepter, may the Royal force be with you.

So let it be written.

So let it be done.

King ROLLO the Capitalized Anointer...out!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I've attained stardom. I can die now
So instead of hush it, I fully expect to hear flush it, #2 from here on..

Last edited by FLYER5; 12-11-2017 at 10:18 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-11-2017), Widget (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
I've attained stardom. I can die now
So instead of hush it, I fully expect to hear flush it, #2 from here on..
There's nothing wrong with being #2.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I agree. Further, CAG should have pulled him and even if it was for a few minutes, calmed him down.
Instead, Penn coach pulled the kid who successfully baited Kostas. Go figure.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Lotta blame here but voted Crutch. Did nothing... nothing, couldn't shoot, penetrate, dish, defend.. nothin
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I had to go offboard and go with Coach.