Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Possible 2017 Starting Lineup (Offense)

With a very strong season in the books, I decided to look forward to next season. This post will focus on a projected starting lineup for the offense. A couple of notes: (1) I don't have any particular inside information; many of these projections are nothing more than mildly-informed guesses; (2) these obviously don't account for incoming freshmen; (3) A projected depth-chart is in parentheses.

QB: Jeske (Bobek/Kaparos/Potential transfer (?)
RB: T. Yinger (Ruffing/Prophit/Bunnell)
WR: Euritt (Tunnacliffe/Cook))
WR: Forcucci (Booker/Hurd)
WR: Skibinski (Booker/Costantino)
TE: Trautman (Vallie)
FB: Kenner (Rothstein)
RT: Culhane/Curoe (Stull)
RG: Hegemann (Harkleroad)
C: Sciaretti (Roell)
LG: Jablonski (insert Hammontree if he returns for 5th yr.)
LT: Gauthier (Stull)

Obviously, the key positions where the Flyers will need some younger players to step-up are along the O-line. The skill positions have a great deal of experience and depth. To that point, the offense returns: 100% of last season's passing yards; 89% of last season's rushing yards; and, 95% of last season's receiving yardage and receptions.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-21-2016), NEOFlyer (12-21-2016), Showme Flyer (12-21-2016)
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
FI - You are certainly in the know more than I but here are a couple of my thoughts.

I figured they'd move Hegeman to LG. I always thought that RG would be the least experienced of all the OL (that's where Hegeman was last year and Gauthier the previous year). But, definitely the OL needs a lot of holes filled.

I wonder, with the bevy of RBs that they might move Ruffing back to a WR spot. Having him and Trautman lined up on one side of the ball would provide some serious matchup issues (not to mention Eurritt).

Missing football already.
Merry Christmas to all!!
Old 12-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Neo: You could be right about the guards. I just left Hegemann at RG since he's comfortable there. If I'm right about Gauthier at LT (I think he's the new leader of the O-line), then a newer LG could benefit by playing alongside him.

As for Ruffing back to WR, I don't think they'll do it. They have pretty good depth at WR (I'm hoping Booker is the break-out player at that position) and, after the injuries from this past season, I think they'll want to keep the experienced depth at RB. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Have a great holiday season.

Note: I think it's going to be up to the 2 of us to find the new recruits this year. I'm assuming PittFlyer will have better things to do.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
Neo:

Note: I think it's going to be up to the 2 of us to find the new recruits this year. I'm assuming PittFlyer will have better things to do.
Yes, but, it is so much easier to find them since they post on Social Media now. Just 7 years ago it was very, very difficult to find UD recruits. One year we didn't know most of the names until August!!!

I luv you two dads. Keep up your sharing ideas & predictions. Merry Christmas to you.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (12-22-2016), NEOFlyer (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Showme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant future
Who do you think takes over for WW, big shoes to fill no pun intended
Old 12-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Captain

Showme: I really have no insights into replacing Willy Will. I think it's going to be wide-open and if I were to hazard a guess (and this really is just a guess), I would say it will be a true freshman. Hopefully, one of the kickers on the current roster reads this and makes me look stupid (not a tall order), by winning the job and having a great 2017.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
I was told that Hammontree is returning for his 5th year. I also inquired about any scheduling news. My son thought Youngstown State may be possibility for this coming year.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Captain

Neo: I heard the same thing about Hammontree. Good news as the Flyers will now have 3 experienced O-lineman back. Also, despite my prediction above, I'm hearing that Gauthier likely will stay at RT. That should mean a new starter at the critical LT position; look for Ryan Culhane to get the first crack at winning the position this spring.

As for the schedule, I've heard either Youngstown St. or S.E Missouri. Personally, I would prefer SEMO. Either team would be a significant challenge, but SEMO seems a little more winnable.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
YSU

I have also heard that the Flyers will play Youngstown State in the other nonconference game this fall. That is much better than playing another DII school. Youngstown State's field is a great venue and they get a lot of fans to their games. In terms of winnable, the last time the Flyers went there in 2013 everyone thought they would get run out of the joint. However, it was a very competitive game. Don't ever count out the Flyers!
Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Captain

Pitt: You convinced me...bring on the Penguins. Win or lose, it looks like a great environment.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
PittsburghFlyer (01-04-2017)