UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2010 Match Threads

2010 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
A-10 Final

To quote Lindsay, "It's all about championships." Today is a championship day.

X is looking to continue their season. That's what we stop today. GO FLYERS...bring it home!
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Hopefully our student section at last night's game will expand a little for today's game. There were less than 10 students there, but they were painted up and making noise. XU had a pretty good following at their game last night. I would expect that crowd to be bigger and louder today as well. The girls face a tough test today against a good team and hostile crowd. I would love to see a dominating performance like the last time we played, but I have a feeling that we are going to see 5 sets today.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Great description jmitch.

If Dayton is looking for a test and practice for the NCAA's they will get it today. Beckytxa you are right, this xavier team is good and they are desperate. They will not make the NCAA's with a loss and need a win today. the musketeers have been close enough in their other contest at Cintas and still know they can beat this team.

Dayton and xavier met for the title 07 in Charlotte. That was the Dayton team that almost went through the A-10 perfectly but dropped a match at xavier. The Flyers played a 4th seeded Temple team in that match and dropped one they should have winning 3-1. Kinda what happened last night against the Dukes. The dropped set doesn't worry me. Should be a good one.

I doubt anyone else on the board is in eastern West Virginia, but I will be watching the game at Ducky's Bar and Grill in Piedmont. Go Flyers!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:42 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Saw the UD student fans on video. They looked GREAT. No shirts - chests painted with blue squares with a big red letter on each spelling out F-L-Y-E-R-S. Waving a Canadian flag for Amanda. Great representation, even if it was a small group.

The X fans like to sit behind whatever announcer is doing the match and you can hear them over the audio feed. I've heard them over the years and yesterday was no different. I doubt if CBS College Sports will allow that today. X students will probably be disappointed. (hey,hey, hey!)

I'll be doing my part to boost the tv rating from my living room sofa. X's video camera was a bird's eye view, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of the action up close and personal. I still remember last year the camera zooming in on Lindsay, who was in total game-face mode after we lost the first two sets. I expect the same focus today from everyone from the first serve.

A-10 Championship on the line.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-21-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I expect this to come down to a couple points. Xavier is a beast at home. This is their entire season. If they don't win they are staying home. Dayton is merely playing for more hardware and seeding. I say merely because playing for the Dance is bigger when you know a loss keeps you out.

I expect a five setter. And all five will be close. I think we have the better team but the match could be a tossup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM

ndflyer is infamous around these parts
I know im getting ahead of myself but I didnt want to start a new thread and Ill be reading this one til 3pm. Is there a schedule/bracket of the tournament games? Trying to see if Ill be able to make any of them if UD plays at ud
Old 11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Absolute Domination in set 2. Down 8-5 and then we end up winning the set 25-12. Thats 20-4 to finish the set. I don't know how many blocks we had but it was impressive. I think we scored about 10 straight on Yanz's serve at one point.

Up 2 sets to none. Lets come back out and finish them off.

Update: The announcers just said we had 18 blocks in the second set. Then the stats said we had 15 for the match. Well however many it really is it's alot.

Last edited by C-time; 11-21-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lynton is on a distinguished road
NDFLYER
I think we have to wait for the NCAA draw next Sunday 28th if I am correct. That will tell us who, where and when.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lynton is on a distinguished road
Block fest

Per GT, in set one we outblocked X by 7 to 4, then 8 to 2 in the second. That is monstrous.

I cannot see X's coaches staying with their game plan that allowedus to block our way to set 2. It's gotta change.

I trust Sheff & Co have their own set 3 plan too

Let's go girls
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
And we win it with another BLOCK! Impressive performance. We made Xavier looked totally helpless.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. After a slow start in the first half of the first set, we dropped the hammer. Our defense was the whole ball of wax in terms of how we won. Didnt think we hit at our best, but we were just very physical on the court and I thought we made Xavier's first touch very difficult. We made Xavier's back line take tough first touches and that screwed them up and didnt allow them to make that perfect set and kill attempt.

Very impressive. Xavier is no creampuff. They could beat a lot of teams that end up making the NCAAs.

Its all about the hardware.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Key #1: Obviously we blocked well. X was beating our block early in the 1st set and the girls just dug in and put up a wall. I think twice during the match we had 3 straight blocks. Might have had an ace squeezed in there on one of those block runs, but that is insane blocking.

Key #2: We dug the ball better than I have ever seen a UD team dig. Our backrow was awesome both in getting their hands under the ball and delievering it for someone to set. Even out-of-system, we are setting both the left, right and pike up the middle from the backrow spot on. If we can add the shoot set to the middle from OOSystem, that gives us 4 hitting options even if the pass is bad. You can't beat that.

Key #3: Our OHs. Again today they were swinging lights out. As a team not the best hitting percentage and probably more hitting errors than we would like, but this team has been an middle-dominate team for a long time. Years. And every Final Four team in that same time period has had a dominate OH. So our OHs needed to step up before we get the the NCAAs and the last couple matches they ALL have. Amanda, Yvonne and Kray. They are all swinging with authority and we need them to continue to do so.

Key #4: We served well. X looked uncomfortable all day in receive. Bless her heart, but for the first time all year I think Ally was neverous. She has been a rock and fearless, but looked a little tight the first 2 rotations she served. Glad she got it out of her before NCAAs. Go for it girlfriend. You're awesome. Take it to 'um!!!

Timing off a little between Jess and the MBs again today, but they'll get in the gym and fix it.

GREAT CHAMPIONSHIP WIN. CONGRATS TO THE ENTIRE PROGRAM. JOB WELL DONE!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Ohio Wins MAC

In a 3-0 sweep and they are in the dance. This is just what the doctor ordered. The match next week will be an all-out war. Without this win Ohio would be playing for nothing. Now they will bring their best shot and will be looking for an upset. Perfect tune-up for the NCAAs for both teams.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
There is no question who the best team in the A10 was this year. Congrats and well done!

I think playing a team you don't normally play is good right now. We have played so many teams that we are familiar with lately this will be good practice.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Less than 500 attendance when the home team is playing for a shot at the NCAA's? I doubt Xavier gets another chance to host in the near future.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM

I would also like to add, we don't play well in Cintas. And, we have had problems with fast teams in the past. Today those were non-factors. This team has risen above those two issues. There was a lot of talk about how our A-10 schedule was going to hurt us in both RPI and more importantly in preparation for the postseason. I think we got a lot out of this A-10 schedule. We had a couple mental slip ups, but recovered to win every time. (ie first SLU match and dropping a set to GW and DUQ.) We over came Cintas twice - and the second time in convincing fashion. And we battled through to win against a fast team on the road in the first X match and then it was no contest the second two matches. We got everything we could out of the A-10 season and now we need to do the same against Ohio on Friday. Their MB Katie Post is an excellent blocker. Our OHs need to continue their strong play against a big block. Post will be a challenge, but I like our chances.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
udisit19 (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 PM

All-Tourney Team

This won't happen, but seriously, think about everyone of our starters and what they contributed these two tournament matches. I would name the entire starting 7 players to the All-Tournament team. Everyone of these girls contributed HUGE between yesterday and today.

Lindsay
Becky
Jess
Amanda
Yvonne
Kray
Paige

Huge contributions from everyone of them in this tournament. That is EXACTLY what you want heading into the NCAAs. Make other teams take away one or two players, and have the others rise up to the challenge. We have a little work to do, but we are darn close to being ready.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Sights and Sounds From Cintas

My first trip to the 'tas. Lots of nooks, crannies, and corners. Not symmetrical like the arena.

Hit my seat 35 minutes before game time. UD pep band was already hitting on all cymbals. "X" pep band was nowhere to be found - AWOL - they never showed up.

All the "mitches" (j & s and family) already there. Can't have a Flyer event without them.

New video boards at Cintas are ok. One ribbon board all the way around 3 sides. Center video ok, but could be larger.

Red Scare (about 10 of them) making lots of noise.

About as many Dayton fans as "X" fans.

First set nip and tuck - Amanda serving and we take a lead and hold it to the end.

Second set - about even. Then we have Jessica serving and the great wall up front (Kray, Yvonne, and Lindsay - I think). Yanz keeps hitting these lollipop serves just over the net. Musties totally hosed up by them. It really got in their heads. We block everything. It was like we knew the _avier plays before they ran them. Right then I knew we had them.

Third set - we gave away a small lead and then won going away. _avier coach looked like he was resigned to their fate - didn't take a timeout until it was far too late.

Team shows happiness - but knows this is just a stop in a longer journey.

Pickin up the hardware. Lots for all. Yanz is MOP. Shucks - just give it to all of them.

Announcer says next year the A-10 tournament is at Frericks.

Team comes up into the stands to share the moment with friends and family.

Lori Hausfeld - good to see her smiling and sharing in the team's success. Lots of hugs all around.

I have now seen a Flyer win at the 'tas. Perhaps CW and BG and company can learn from the ladies.

Pretty good weekend to be a Flyer- be it hoops (ladies and men) or vb.

Last edited by ud69; 11-21-2010 at 06:48 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Back from the game...

Very impressive game today by the Flyers. Xavier was out-performed in all aspects. The UD students, while out-numbered by X students, were louder. The UD Pep Band rocked while the XU pep band was a no-show. And there was no question who the better team on the floor was today. Guess all of the X fans who were at the game last night decided to watch the Cinicnnati Bungles lose another game today.

That second set was perhaps the best I have seen UD play this year. Great time of the year to have your best performance. I'm really hoping that we'll get to see four more Flyer games in Dayton this year.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
This Dayton team has played their best in last few weeks. Wins over xavier and slu at home have only lasted 3 sets. And in addition, an A-10 championship match (AT xAVIER) only last three sets as well. The Flyers have made matches that should be difficult look easy.

Today in the first set xavier looked good. Their serving was solid and they were completely ready for Lindsay in the Middle. A double block was ready for Lindsay half the time, but that didn't slow down the Flyers. Dayton was ready for the block and was able to dig a lot of the xavier block attempts, and as mentioned earlier Dayton went to the OHs (Amanda, Kray, and Yvonne) who hit well to take the pressure of off Lindsay and Becky.

I thought the serving was tremendous. We all know xavier's libero vorherr is great and their backrow was forced into a lot of bad passes off the serve putting xavier's quick offense out of system. Yanz and Paige did a great job in this aspect of the game, and Allyson and Kray served well (as always).

The Flyers faced a HUGE challenge in this championship game and passed with FLYING colors. Xavier at Cintas was a big obstacle but proved to be no match. Ohio should be a good opponent to gear up for the NCAA's, but this team is ready for the NCAA's with or without the bobcats.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 AM

Xavier only lost three matches after September 26th. All three were to Dayton.

BooYaKaSha!

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I know, I shouldn't care since we won, but I'm annoyed at the Atlantic 10 Conference for the press release of the Flyers winning the A10 tournament.

Originally Posted by A10.com
Top-seeded Dayton successfully defended its Atlantic 10 Conference Volleyball title on Sunday afternoon, sweeping #2 Xavier, 3-0 (21-25, 12-25, 15-25). Link
I suppose the answer will be, well, Xavier was at home. That's a decent answer, but, look at the following:

Originally Posted by A10.org November 19, 2006
Senior Angela Powers finished with a career-high 24 kills and three blocks as Saint Louis beat Dayton, 3-1 (31-29, 25-30, 30-27, 30-27).Link
That game was played at the Frericks Center, yet our scores were posted second.

Once again, the AnnKordes-10 is dissing the Dayton Flyers.

Figgie
Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM

I thought X and the A-10 did a terrible job with this championship from the perspective of an out-of-town fan. I was going to say sub-par, but terrible really sums it up correctly. Usually in a story write up by a third-party (the A-10 was a 3rd party in this case) you write the scores of the winning team first. That's a basic sports journalism mistake by the A-10.

There are so many thing they could have done better -- for no extra money. That's what upsets me. They posted 13 picutres of the championship match, showing both teams. 3 pictures were post-match pics -- so 10 action shots between 2 teams - that's pathetic. This is your showcase event and there was nothing showcase about this. A lot of those out-of-town fans are recruits and their parents from the 6 schools in the tournament. The A-10 did nothing to impress.

I didn't like the style of the internet announcer from X who did the first 4 matches of the tournament. Too monotone for me, but he was professional. But not pronouncing names correctly, not knowing ref hand signals and not knowing team facts like UD was 15-0 in the A-10 and ranked #13, not 13-0 and #17, was just bad.

Most of this is dictated by the A-10, but X did nothing to impress me either. 680 fans for the semi-finals between 4 teams. 430 fans for the finals. With the pep band, Rudy, a small group of students and player families, we had to have close to half those in attendance. It's no wonder it will be back at Frericks next year. Good for UD!

And I thought CBS College Sports did a good job. It seemed like there were more camera angles at Frerricks last year, but that is sometimes limited by the venue, meaning they would like to have more, but there is no place to set them up.

I hope operations on the ground and for the fans who could travel to Cintas for the matches it was a far better experience.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-22-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I would personally like to thank the X A10 announcer for his broadcast of the A10 event. With my present medical situation I have found it hard to sleep, but he was the answer to my prayers.

Mike and Mandy, A-10 announcers of the year!!!!!

I especially like the CBS announcers comment when Dayton went on that 11 point run in the second match...."_avier has to be totally frustrated, its like slamming a ball as hard as you can 3 ft from a wall and having it come back in your face before you can react..."

BTW was successful in video taping the game so if anyone would like a copy let me know. PM me. Of course I have to figure out how to save it from the DVR first but should be able to.