UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball > Archived Seasonal Game Threads > 2008-2009 Game Threads

2008-2009 Game Threads Specific threads dedicated to each home and away game for UD Men's Basketball.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
the one thing an opening game affords is an almost unlimited amount of preparation for one opponent. Wofford was very well prepared defensively.
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure why you'd expect Charles to come up with much offense .... other than scrappy put backs which is his specialty. He was dissappointing for me tonight, in other ways that we absolutely have to have from him. Seniors should not be making bad turnovers, should not miss the gimme's, should know how to position to get rebounds, should be able to throw around their 240 pound frame and make people pay for coming anywhere near the lane.

Think about Nate Green's senior year. You got punished for coming inside.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
tonight was a good example of how little meaning the exhibition games really have. All of the freshman had the deer in the headlights look
Totally agree. I bet they are ticked at themselves right now. They'll get over it and learn from it., I hope, cause we need them. Luke especially would have come in handy tonight from the outside, so that they couldn't pack it down low like they were.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
a win is a win, no matter how you look at it. I think this Wofford team didn't look bad at all. Heck gave us a game.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I listed my biggest concern going into this year as our change in style. I only saw the 2nd half tonight, but we just seem so uncomfortable with how hard we are going to push, and how patient we are going to be in the half court.

- I think that Lowery is the better pg. Bucky thinks he takes poor shots, but I think he says that because they are not falling. They are open, IMO. I want him to keep taking them.

- I think we are giving up more rebounds defensively because we are contesting the shots so closely. We are lunging at the shooter, right in his face, and sometimes off our feet when the shot goes up. That gives the offensive player a better opportunity to go around. Last year, we had more cushion between us and the shooter.

- Huelsman looks good to me. I think the weight loss was a good thing.

- This team does not have a clear objective offensively yet. It's like scrambled eggs right now.

- I think all of our players need to drive and kick out, but that requires somebody hitting 3's.

- I like our quick, active hands on defense.

Last edited by Fudd; 11-16-2008 at 10:52 PM..
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (11-16-2008)
Old 11-16-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
you can't push it if you don't get many defensive rebounds.

I though Lowery looked pretty good he just missed some open looks he will make most of the time ... and he did hit that big shot at the end.

Half court defense got better as the game wore on.

I am vry hopeful that Johnson and Williams will step us as the season moves forward.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
- I think we are giving up more rebounds defensively because we are contesting the shots so closely. We are lunging at the shooter, right in his face, and sometimes off our feet when the shot goes up. That gives the offensive player a better opportunity to go around. Last year, we had more cushion between us and the shooter.

- Huelsman looks good to me. I think the weigh loss was a good thing.

- This team does not have a clear objective offensively yet. It's like scrambled eggs right now.

- I think all of our players need to drive and kick out, but that requires somebody hitting 3's.

- I like our quick, active hands on defense.
Quite a few 3 pointers shot by Wofford = long rebounds. It's still part of the game and that's on the guards to clean it up. Sometimes the ball just bounces the wrong way all night. No excuses though rebounding must improve. Some of it is simply 1 man out of 4 losing there man, losing position and therefore not rebounding. We should not have gotten outrebounded tonight.

Huelsman looked good to me. He actually looked quick! We didn't work him the ball enough. When we did in the first half he quickly got doubled. So he needs to be more aware and either take it up quick or kick it back out.

Which is the next point. More kick outs. Particularly to Marcus .... and hopefully to Fab. Fab has to learn to position and play better defense against quicker players. So I guess to Marcus at this point.

Defense looked great. That's the one thing that has remained constant over the BG years. They always play tough nose defense. Now we have to convert that to offense. Hint hint ... stop missing layups in transition.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Captain

squirt is just really nicesquirt is just really nicesquirt is just really nicesquirt is just really nice
Huelsman Running the Point

The couple times Kurt touched he ball in the second half he was barking out the plays. WOW, we still need to solve the PG spot as far as a leader goes
Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
Payne and Staten were both at the game tonight.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Payne and Staten were both at the game tonight.
Maybe not the best night for them to have been there.
Haven't they been to all the games? I seem to remember they were at the scrimmage, and the Capital game, and now Wofford. Were they at the Gannon game? If so, this looks good as far as getting Payne.
On a second topic...Could the later start on a Sunday night have anything to do with the Flyers being out of sync somewhat?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 3,608 Times in 2,452 Posts
Mich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wofford

Wofford is now 2 -2.

They beat Texas Pan Am and Air Force at Air Force.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 3,608 Times in 2,452 Posts
Mich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMich Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wofford now is showing a winning 3-2 record with their win over North Carolina -
Ashville.