User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
2017/2018 A10 Favorites

With the news that Samir Doughty is transferring from VCU, it got me thinking.

I was reading through their message boards and it's full of "sky is falling" type stuff. Talking about rebuilding and missing the tournament. Sounds a lot like another board I read.

VCU and UD have been the favorites in the A10 in recent years and both seem to expect a step backwards this year.

With that in mind - who is the favorite in the A10 this year?

Rhode Island? They return Mathews and Terrell, but lost Iverson and Martin
Richmond? They are losing Cline, which is huge.
Bonnies? They have Mobley/Adams returning
GW? Losing Cavanaugh will be big.

And that brings us back to UD and VCU. Are the Rams and Flyers really that much worse off than the rest of the group? Am I crazy for thinking that we absolutely have a shot at winning the A10 again?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-02-2017), San Diego Flyer (06-02-2017)
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post

I was reading through their message boards and it's full of "sky is falling" type stuff. Talking about rebuilding and missing the tournament. Sounds a lot like another board I read.

VCU and UD have been the favorites in the A10 in recent years and both seem to expect a step backwards this year.

And that brings us back to UD and VCU. Are the Rams and Flyers really that much worse off than the rest of the group? Am I crazy for thinking that we absolutely have a shot at winning the A10 again?
I think this year, the Bonnies should be considered the favorites at this point. Mobley and Adams are the best 1-2 punch in the league and they always seem to have solid role players.

Even though Davidson lost Gibbs, they still have Aldrich and they seem to have a decent young core on the team. They also recruited some players that seem to fit their system well.

URI will be URI. Losing Iverson and Martin will be big, but they always have good guard play. Langevine played quality minutes for them when Martin was hurt. Dowtin looks like he will be the real deal and I would guess starts full time next year. At the end of the year last year, they were playing like the team many expected them to be the last couple of years.

As for UD, I think we are for sure in the mix. If Cunningham returns to form and Kostas is the player many think he can be then we could be a sleeper team to win the league. I still think we are a top 4 team at worst. Crosby will be the key. If he can improve to be the player some on here think he can be then this team could make some noise.

VCU will be interesting. Currently they only have 5 returning players and 1 did play last year, but was a very talented transfer in Issac Vann. They will be VERY young, but VERY talented. Khris Lane was a big pickup for them to replace Mo. He is immediately eligible. Khris is a little smaller and not as athletic, but a better scorer than Mo. They will definitely be in rebuild mode this year, but if the freshman that are coming in are as good as advertised, they will not be down long.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:02 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I gotta think Rhode Island with what they bring back. Front court is a question mark but that's a gaggle of good, experienced guards that have back
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Don't sleep on St Louis -- influx of transfers with "some" talent that took their lumps but are battle tested.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-02-2017), wes (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Don't sleep on St Louis -- influx of transfers with "some" talent that took their lumps but are battle tested.
Nice freshman class too
Old 06-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
For Rhody, losing Martin and Iverson is huge. They could not win the A10 with them. I can't see them filling those voids and winning it without them.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 06-03-2017 at 09:01 AM..
Old 06-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
For Rhody, losing Mathews and Iverson is huge. They could not win the A10 with them. I can't see them filling those voids and winning it without them.
It was Martin and Iverson, and Martin had to deal with injuries for a large portion of the year this year and last year. When he was finally healthy they went on a run and won the A10 tourney and a game in the NCAA tourney. Let's not forget that Mathews was also coming back from a knee injury from the season before and it took a while for him to start playing as he did pre-injury when he was being talked about as a one of the best players in the league.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think one of the following three wins the league this year: St. Bonaventure, Rhody or St Joes. I think both VCU and Dayton are the wildcards. It wouldn't surprise me to see either contend or for either to really struggle. But I do expect a bit of inconsistency with both teams, which will no doubt totally freak out both fan bases. SLU will be most improved and I do think they can finish top 5, 6. Davidson should also be okay. Three rather mediocre teams in Mason, LaSalle, and GW and then four teams in Richmond, UMass*, Dukes*, and Fordham who I expect to be pretty bad.

*UMass and Dukes futures look fairly bright at least.

My best guess:

St. Bonaventure
Rhode Island
St. Joes
Dayton
VCU
SLU
Davidson
Mason
LaSalle
GW
Richmond
Duquesne
Fordham
UMass
Old 06-02-2017, 03:43 PM
General

I don't think the Bonnies have the front court to get it done.

VCU should have a good front court with Lane, Tillmon and Isaac Vann. Like us I think the backcourt is gonna be a wild card.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Rhody and VCU should be 1-2, in either order.

I'd be ok with the writers giving us a pre-season prediction of 4th or 5th. That way you can sneak up on people. I give the last 2 years teams credit for living up to the pre-season predictions. BG's teams rarely lived up to them, especially if they were the favorite.
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Also, don't sleep on SLU, they are bringing in a ton of transfer talent and a stud freshman.
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jpk4ud (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
FWIW
1 URI
2 SLU
3 Bonnies
4 St. Joes
5 UD
6 VCU
7 LaSalle
8 Davidson
9 GW
10 Duquesne
11 Richmond
12 Fordham
13 UMass
Mad Props to LI Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (06-03-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Just off the Jet

Kid Flyer will become famous soon enough
As promising as the front court appears to be, there will be problems if Crosby and D. Davis are the starting back court together. MAJOR problems. Both have low basketball IQs, lack leadership, lack composure and have consistently shown the inability to handle pressure, to create, to finish and to make teammates better.

Davis was a great shooter as a freshman when set up by others but he somehow lost it mentally after year one and his shooting mechanics are no longer the same. His shot is now flat and he has a bunny kick in his jumper. Freshman year his shot was a thing of beauty. Not sure what happened there. Yes, he played very good perimeter defense last year but we will need a lot more from him this year if he is really going to start as a senior. Crosby is a general mess despite some athleticism. The two of them on the court together could be a calamity against any stiff competition. Turnover machines.

I am hoping there are some mature players in this incoming class that can step in and take over early on. I have high hopes for J. Crutcher and J. Davis at the 1 & 2.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LI Flyer View Post
FWIW
1 URI
2 SLU
3 Bonnies
4 St. Joes
5 UD
6 VCU
7 LaSalle
8 Davidson
9 GW
10 Duquesne
11 Richmond
12 Fordham
13 UMass
George Mason?...14 teams are in the A10.

I think we should be in the top 3 or 4 challenging for a NCAAT bid. I guess I like URI and VCU too.

Last edited by ud2; 06-02-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
Just based upon the experienced players from last year, our starters would probably be: Crosby, Davis, X Williams, Cunningham and Mikesell. If Cunningham and Mikesell are fully recovered, I would expect this group to be at best a break even team. Sam Miller is a capable fill in at center or forward. All the other players are unknown quantities.
The relevant question for the coach is: Are you building for this season or next?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sabo2 View Post
Just based upon the experienced players from last year, our starters would probably be: Crosby, Davis, X Williams, Cunningham and Mikesell. If Cunningham and Mikesell are fully recovered, I would expect this group to be at best a break even team. Sam Miller is a capable fill in at center or forward. All the other players are unknown quantities.
The relevant question for the coach is: Are you building for this season or next?
Mikesell is probably not playing this year, at best he is probably ready for Conference Play
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (06-03-2017), jack72 (06-04-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 PM

Thanked 1,303 Times in 675 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I believe this team, if Crosby shows marked improvement, will be a big surprise to a lot of people. I have no idea what kind of system AG will bring, assume it will be more up tempo than in the past. I also believe that the incoming players by the time conference starts will be significant contributors, especially Kostas. This team is going to have on the floor at some point, 6-3 PG, 6-4 SG, 6-8 SF, 6-10-SF, 6-11 C. Yes, 4 of those 5 are freshmen, but you can't teach height, and the 6-8 and 6-10 guys can play out on the wing and shoot the 3 as well as run the floor. That's not easy to defend. Toss in 6-8 Cunningham and 6-7 Svoboda from the wing too, spread the floor and watch out. We'll have our ups and downs but I think we'll be a lot better than some are assuming.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (06-04-2017), fuz_forward (06-05-2017), hawkoooo (06-08-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post

Your post is depressing to me. It's based on UD and VCU having a chance based on the conference weakening at the top, not UD and VCU either remaining the same or getting better. While that might bode well for UD and VCU short term, it doesn't bode well for the conference and therefore UD and VCU in the long term.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
This season is going to be fraught with opportunities and speed bumps. We can't put a lineup on the floor that is totally healthy and also has experience playing with each other. Not to mention limited experience on the road at A10 gyms/arenas.

Looking at the upside of each individual player, the future is bright. But the ooc goes a long way toward posturing us for an NCAA bid. Can we weather that schedule while we are on a significant learning curve? With one Senior?

I thought last season we turned water into Budweiser Black Crown with the tough schedule and the injuries from start to finish.

Overall the projected finish in the A10 this year is palatable. But we have to prove them wrong to get in The Tournament.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Where are the Flyer Faithful??
I, along with TXFlyerFan, believe UD will be an exciting surprise this year.

New Coach, lots of potential - I have faith that we will over-achieve
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Until we prove differently on the court, 4th or 5th sounds about right.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Captain

Hobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of light
Another interesting question: With the talent so low/ young across the league, is it possible for the A10 to be a one bid league?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:46 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We are the reigning champions of the A10. We lost 3 seniors, but we also added a lot of talent. Until another team proves otherwise, we are and will remain the champions of this conference.

That's what good teams do, reload and keep moving forward. Have some faith folks.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
The backcourt has been a major ingredient for success over the past few years in the A-10. Looking at the rosters for this upcoming season I see URI, Bonnie's, and SJoes as being tops in the league at the guard positions and therefore place them high on the list.
I see SLU starting out slow but vastly improving as the season goes on.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Four seniors.

Budweiser Black Crown? I'd rather have the water.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 AM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kid Flyer View Post
Davis was a great shooter as a freshman when set up by others but he somehow lost it mentally after year one and his shooting mechanics are no longer the same. His shot is now flat and he has a bunny kick in his jumper. Freshman year his shot was a thing of beauty. Not sure what happened there.
He shot 38.5%, hardly a calamity.

He lost his confidence because he couldn't guard anyone. He knew he was a step behind, out of position, and generally out of his league as a sophomore fighting for minutes. As a junior he started to regain some of that confidence.

I think he'll be respectably over 40% again this season.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Here is an analysis from the people at A-10 Talk:

Dayton has one of the more difficult conference slates. Having to face Rhode Island, Saint Louis, and VCU twice will likely mean at least 3 conference losses. Factor in a road game against Saint Joseph’s as well, and you’ll realize that the Flyers are really going to be tested away from home. This also means that Anthony Grant’s squad is going to have some big opportunities in league play; if he wants to make the NCAA Tournament as Dayton’s first-year head coach, he’ll have to beat St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, and VCU at home.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
As long as Rhode Island has Hurley on the sideline, I like Dayton's chances.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-08-2017), jack72 (06-08-2017)