User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Jim Crews & Other Topics

I have read a lot of posts on here insinuating Jim Crews is a big drop off from Rick Majerus and isn't a very good coach. I understand most of this comes from an incident that happened 25 yrs ago. What I watched today was a very good and well coached basketball team. They had every answer on the defensive side of the ball. Their players are very fundamentally sound. SLU isn't going anywhere with Jim Crews as their head basketball coach. I was very impressed with them.

That game made it clear to me this UD team is not the best team in the A-10. Yes, I had hopes they maybe were prior today, but SLU quickly put that thought to rest. I know UD missed a lot of layups, but SLU made them tough layups. I'll be interested to see how we match up against UMass on the floor, but I'd rather not see SLU again all year, so that game @ SLU will not be fun. If we played them in a best of 7 series, I think we win one, maybe two.

The conference season is going to be very tough. We need our seniors in DMO & Vee to show up every game. There will be no more easy games, so these two need to take the bull by the horns and show up with intensity from here on out. We have a lot of battles ahead of us.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-11-2014), mikeymo85 (01-11-2014), rollo (01-11-2014), Sid Louick (01-11-2014), Viperstick (01-11-2014)
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
They are good. Their win today is very impressive when you consider it was their second league road win in a week, while Archie had all week to prepare. I thought going into the season that Umass and SLU were the top teams and UD would be lucky to crack the top 4 in the regular season standings, so for me this game isn't a surprise. I've watched Umass on TV a couple of times and I don't think The Flyers match up well. This program is still a year or two away from being the big dog in the A10. I do think when this year's sophomores are seniors we will be really tough.

I really don't like Jim Crews. I hope he drags that program down and gets fired. I can't watch him lose often enough.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I believed Jim Crews learned a lot from Rick Majerus. They had control of that game and the 15 minute mark of the first half and never wavered. He completely out-coached our staff. We had no answer to either side of the court. What is most discouraging is we are clearly on course for another mediocre season looking ahead with optimism toward next year and getting all excited about hosting an NIT game against some bottom-feeding team.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (01-11-2014), Sid Louick (01-11-2014), Viperstick (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
I don't think anyone ever doubted Crew's technical knowledge, I think the concern is his recruiting and player development.

Thus far he's playing with a veteran team comprised of Majerus's players. We'll learn a lot about him next year when the roster starts turning over and some of his players take on crucial roles.

While we all know the ultimate value of recruiting rankings, his 2013 class had two 2-star players and a 3-star. His 2014 class currently consists of two 3-stars, two 2-stars, and two unranked players. If he fields a top-half of the A10 team next season, it'll be safe to say he's put his stamp on the program and has it moving in the right direction.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,168 Times in 5,896 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Crews is a good coach. It is much easier to be a good coach when you are playing 5 seniors. With Kav hurt and Oliver and Vee not showing up, we had no seniors playing.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing in Crews resume to compare him to majerus. Rick left the cupboard full and all he has had to do is not screw it up. He won with 5 seniors ... All rMajerus recruits. Hard times are ahead. There are no replacements for Evans and Jett
Old 01-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I boo'd Crews today if that matters.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (01-11-2014), rollo (01-11-2014), The Gem (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I boo'd Crews today if that matters.
I did as well
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-11-2014), shocka43 (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Crews longterm resume says more about him than dies thus SLU team and how they play. Not many can teach help defense like Majerus. And Crews hasn't had to yet.

A better guage will be the next three years. I don't expect any more than the back of Crews baseball card.

I agree with the sentiment UD is not the best team in the A10. At best they are fourth, but I see them mire as sixth or seventh best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
For anyone who is interested in the back of this card:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...m-crews-1.html
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM

BTW I doubt there is much he could have learned from Majerus that he didn't have the opportunity to learn from Knight