User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Sad to see you go. Glad you were here!

Being the end of an era of sorts and not withstanding how the last two seasons ended, let's not forget what we all were able to share over these last 4 seasons.

As part of this remembrance, let's go back to that season that started it all.

2013-2014 The Elite 8 run.

Totally unexpected at the start of the conference season.

But Oh, What a night!

From those Jersey Boys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c0__RenjD0

2014-2015 The Play in Game.

Again totally unexpected and yet most remembered for the Magnificence Seven strong.

Right through to this season 2016-2017 expectations higher than almost any other. The tragedy early on with Big Steve, but the season defining moments away at Rhode Island, St Bonaventure, Davidson and the home game of March 1st against VCU. Plus the gritty game with Wichita State.

The last game of any season seems always the toughest win or lose. The last game of a defining series, well we knew that that day would come. We would see these guys that hung together through all of it, the highest high and the lowly low would be here too soon.

So now, the last game of the last season arrived and is gone. This connection between you all and us fans have already changed. Yet in many ways this series with you guys from the start, Scoochie Smith, Kyle Davis and Kendall Pollard might just be something special to stay between you and us for much longer than the last 4 years!

Sad to see you go. Glad that you were here!

From those Jersey Boys:

Let's hang On!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8782KIj_rKw

PS Sorry about these oldie goldies but the Jersey Boys have a connection to some of the best times I had growing up ... as you guys did as I was growing older.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-24-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking back on this 4 year ride it stands out to me how each individual event had a profound effect on the direction of the program and other players not involved in the event.

The first one was the Kavs expulsion. If he doesn't have his senior season pushed back one year, I don't think the Elite 8 happens, probably don't even get to the dance and the frustration with leftover from BG years carries even further with AM. Also, what would our destiny have been had Langston Galloway had actually gotten called for his pushoff of KD or subsequent travel during the A10 tournament? Would we have gotten stuck playing UConn and they would've had our path starting with OSU?

While I know that Scoochie was destined for our starting PG sooner than later, how different would this past season and future seasons looked if Price would have just taken a year off for knee surgery and returned? Would we have John Crosby right now or would we have had a complete different make up at PG for this season and the next 4?

While Scooch and Kyle were named starters when the 2014-2015 season began, what would've happened as far as Kendall's development if the Scott/Robinson debacle never happens? It sure would've been delayed I believe. Along those same lines adding the loss of Ryan Bass, would Darrell Davis' development have been more methodical and maybe better if he wasn't thrown in with the wolves his freshman season. He was afterall forced to be just a 3 point shooter that season because there just wasn't room to let him go through the trial and error portion of doing other things that are usually afforded freshman.

How much better would we have been in the 2015-2016 season had the Pierre suspension not happened? While he was still a very good player for us last year, he wasn't as good as projected. He didn't take that next big step up that seniors usually do and I do think that was caused by the suspension.

And then the one that is still deeply fresh and will be burned into our memories forever. The loss of Big Steve. While losing his contributions as a player is not that important in the big picture of things compared to the loss of the great human being that he was, all of us can't help to wonder how much better we would've been this year if we still had him both on the court and in the locker room.

There's been a lot of tragedy, bad behavior, bad luck, good luck(what if Vee's number is not called or Craft's shot goes in?) and especially some blessings in disguise where some were a fine line between being a program stuck in neutral or taking off, and others between being a team constantly knocking on the top 25 door vs being talked about as a top 10 team.

It's been a rollercoaster of emotions these past 4 years and IMO the memorable 4 years in UD history. It's now time for a newer group to step up and keep this ball rolling. I can't wait until November.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-20-2017 at 03:54 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (03-20-2017), CT Flyer (03-20-2017), Figgie123 (03-21-2017), Glen Clark (03-24-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
An amazing run for this senior class.

The last game of almost every season is a loss. So a loss in the NCAA tournament in itself is not something to be disappointed with, but I really would have liked to see either an NCAA win or an A-10 tourney championship. A way to go out on a high note. The conference championship was an amazing accomplishment in its own right, but it was 3 games ago.

Watching this team, and especially in the Wichita State game, it's hard not to think about what we would have been with Big Steve. Top 15 is not an unreasonable guess. Tournament would still depend on the draw so maybe we still don't make a Sweet 16, but what a difference it would have made.

I'm not going to change my expectations. We've always had high expectations... it's just that now we're meeting them. I think we should be able to expect 3 NCAA appearances and 1 Sweet 16 every 4 years. Excited to see more than that if we can do it, but I'm not going to be disappointed if we don't. This season was an unqualified success. This class more than met expectations. So much so that next year's class has also met expectations even if we don't make the dance next year.