UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2016 Match Threads

2016 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
GW Match

GWs great senior MB Chidima O has played well against UD for the last three years. They set her the low, fast set which is very hard to stop. We do the same with Amber and Kendyll. All 3 players are in the top 5 hitting percentage in the A10. Not sure either team can stop these middles very often.

GW also sets two of their OHs often, for a total of 3 hitters that produce most of their offense. Dayton sets all 5 hitters often. But Chidmia O is the best blocker on the court this match so we will see what we do to keep her off that part of her game. Five hitters is harder to stop all of them.

We also dig the all better than GW by 15.15 to 11.04 per set. That's a big difference. I'm glad we have GW on Friday and GM on Sunday. SLU has that in reverse. This is the only meeting between these two teams this year in the regular season. I do expect GW to make the A10 Tourney.

Using figgie rpi, UD enters the match at 27. GW is at 187. UD dropped 3-4 spots because of mid-week matches by teams n our schedule and their opponents. Some good news is both Miami and Loyola moved into the 26-50 range which the committee looks at to determine at-large bids. We are 1-1 in this category. So ILL is at 54 and Toledo at 79 with shots to move above 50. That would help UD putting us at 2-1 or 3-1 in that category. So will track their progress. SLU also moved up about 10 slots to 153, the highest a10 team other than UD.teams in their schedule chain are winning.

I haven't done the math, but there might be some advantage if GW beats SLU. GW has a better record at 6-7 vs 5-10. Figgie has educated me that it's all about w-l percentage, not Rpi number, so I think we root for GW to beat SLU and for SLU to beat GM. Still a lot to learn about rpi.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-23-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDVBFan (09-24-2016)
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I expect us to win this match. although GW could finish 2nd in the a10. Duquesne has a better record, but they haven't played too tough of a schedule. Need to get the conference season off to a quick start and sweep in dominate fashion. Go Flyers.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:32 PM

UD takes forst set 25-19. At 20-18 UD, GW was out hitting us .167 to .217. We ended up out hitting them .211 to .121. GWs right side block was killing our left side OHs. They put up 5 blocks. Then it appeared TH moved the setter/Jane to the left OH for several rotations to set towards our right side and we scored several kills. It was hard to tell because the camera doesn't always follow the action, but Jane was facing the camera on several sets during those last 5 points -- and that was facing our right side. It worked for several hitters that were getting stuffed on the left.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM

It was kind of ugly by UD up 2-0 after taking the 2nd 278-25. TH got a yellow card. Lots of discussion between Jane and the up referee on several calls. I was actually surprised we didn't get a yellow earlier than we did. And then TH came back to talk again to the down referee after that.

Also noticed on stats that Bri subbed in for Jane for one rotation late. That was the case in another match this season. I thought it might be a stat keeper mistake, but here it was again in this match. I think TH does that when they need to stop the other team defensively???? at the end of a close set???? Not sure, will have to keep watching for it.

Also, Maggie and Laura are handing the serving duties tonight. In the last couple matches we saw Jamie, Jordan and Lauren take some serves. Not tonight.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-23-2016 at 08:07 PM..
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 PM

I just re-watched it and Bri does come in for Jane out of the time out. And Margo does the setting -- and they did set Bri for a swing. So I think it was to put 3 hitters in the front row.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM

TO UD. GW up 18-12. GW has their right side block up again our left OHs. They have 3 on that side so far this set.against all of our hitters from that side.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 PM

GW wins the 3rd 19-25. I don't think we has passed well at all tonight. It's hard to say because the stats don't give us the passing grades, but just seems to be a lot of Jane running all over the court to get to the 2nd touch.

I will say I have seen Maggie dive for a lot of balls tonight to kept the in play -- so I think she is playing good defense. But as a team I don't think we are passing to the setter very well.

I also feel GW is more athletic than UD. They seem to cover the court better and are more "in control". We are more scrappy -- which isn't a bad thing. Just an observation.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:58 PM

Dayton Wins in 4th 25-18.

It looked like GWs game plan was to shut down Amber. And to put up a big block on their right side to stuff whoever we had swinging from the left OH. They did both of those things. That meant that sophomore MB Kendall Brown and freshman right side OH Jamie Peterson would have to produce...and they did big time. Peterson had 13 kills and hit .467. Brown had a career day with 10 kills and hit .833 - zero errors. I think it was a smart game plan by GW, but UD was too deep.

Also Margo had 18 digs and Maggie had 15. That might be a career best for Maggie???

1-0 in the A10 and moving on.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (09-26-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
I think we still have a lot of room for improvement. I keep looking for that physicality that just dominates an opponent at the net. Thought Peterson had some good swings tonight. She will be a beast. Sloan struggled a bit on serve receive again in the third set, but came back strong in the fourth set. Brown "only" hit .833 on 10 of 12! I think she tooled the blocker in front of her a half dozen times. Another come from behind set - winning set 2 after being down 16-19. Don't think Horsmon will see any Christmas cards this year from the head referee. TH was close to getting tossed I think. The ref finally had to tell TH through Emmenecker to sit down.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 AM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Don't think Horsmon will see any Christmas cards this year from the head referee. TH was close to getting tossed I think. The ref finally had to tell TH through Emmenecker to sit down.
Officiating is a tough job sometimes, but I have to say this ref kind of brought some of this on himself. He seemed almost allergic to calling double touches, and GW had a ton of them. I think he called 2 all night and with a setter like Jane who doesn't commit many doubles, this should have been about a 6-8 point gap in UD's favor. The linesmen seemed to do a great job, best I've seen so far this year but the up ref, yeah, he had a tough night or else doesn't really know what a double is.

Maggie was great in the back row tonite. Margo serving with authority. Jamie continuing the progression to beast mode. Kendyll Brown - so good they named a street after her! Not a classically elegant match and we did get blocked (a lot) but I saw lots to be encouraged about, too. GW has played us tough every year, was the last A10 team to beat us (2014) and to have us take them out in 4 was good to see. Amber had a quiet night, Jess and Bruns had 72 attempts between them, and against a good blocking team you'll eat some. Plus GW was a very tough serving team, at least tonite. Don't think GM will be much of a challenge but looking forward to seeing how Tim's team keeps progressing. 14-1, and 1-0 in the A10....nice!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-24-2016), ud69 (09-24-2016), UDBrian (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
It is good that UD dominated the 4th set. You don't want GW to feel like UD was lucky to win.

I expect Jaime to be an all american and potentially surpass faye barhorst as the best Flyer I have seen play
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-24-2016), Glen Clark (09-26-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Every team we play from here on out will look at the LMU video to see how they beat us. We are going to get everyone's most aggressive serving. That will help us prepare for post season play.

And I think GW had a good game plan. Shut down whoever is swinging with a block and shut down Amber's quick set in front of the setter. As hard as that is to watch as a UD fan, it also forces us to expand our game in practice. More back sets to swings from our right side. Both to the pin for the OH and we need to get better at the slide to the middles. Both Amber and Kendyll can run the slide talent wise. Jamie can also slide inside to the middle to attack. We just don't run any of this very often. It will help us if we add this offensive threat. Faye, Bethany, Becky and Megan were all great MBs that could both crush the slide and cut it back on the sharp angle to score. If we are getting blocked, you run a couple slides and those blockers start worrying and hesitating were to set the block. It's very hard to defend.

We have stuff to work on but I'm confident the team will get after it.