Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
lost in frustration...

one thing that got lost in a sea of disappointments after sunday night's game was chris wright's outside shooting. His stroke looked good!

If he becomes a consistent outside threat, it is that much harder to guard him. he is already bigger, stronger, and faster than anyone who is guarding him. if they are forced to guard him closely all over the court, it becomes easier for him to drive, back cut, and get position on rebounds.
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
didn't see this game, but you can't argue with this post
Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
In order for CW to become a "complete" player he has to be able to shoot from the perimeter. He has worked on this aspect of his game and I'm betting he will improve it over time. He seems to have the work ethic to accomplish this.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Major

BlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of light
He shot a better percentage from behind the arc than he did from inside 2 feet.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
How about Marcus too!

I think those two will be our shooters this year and I am confident in saying that, man has Marcus grown ... you can tell he puts work in.

If we can get two more reliable options 32-38 percent, we will be sitting pretty.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Saved our bacon

This fact was somewhat overshadowed on our MB by all the negative stuff, but I don't think it went unnoticed. Marcus and Chris were 5/8 and that alone was key to avoiding an embarrassing loss.

But really, who out there can expect that degree of excellence each game. Actually 3/8 would be good for a season in any coach's book. Especially for two wings who are, by all accounts, developing as outside threats.

Anyway you cut it, it's a great confidence booster to start the year and offers much hope for the season.

One other statistic I would bet Marcus and Chris looked at that will keep them grounded however is the number ONE.

As in 1 offensive rebound between them.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not trying to rain on the parade but I seem to remember CW hitting one or two 3s in the opening game last year and then almost never shot another one until he got hurt. I was quite surprised at how good his shot looked in that 1st game last year too.

Hopefully this year he will continue to shoot and make them early on to help gain the confidence and to open things up in the middle.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
2nd Lieutenant

addicted2flyers
I remember that as well, but wright looked better this year. I am however still a bit worried, because of who we were playing. This goes for anything bad that happened in exhibitions and Wof as well though. If I going to judge a player or a team on a small sample, I would prefer to only use the big games.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Chris went 1 for 2 from 3 in the first game and missed his next four and ended 1 for 5 last year. That was it, so to go 2 for 3 his first game blows the rain off the parade. Let's see how he shoots in his next couple of games, but it looks more promising than last.

MJ was crap for the first half of the season and then stepped up as the season went on. Looks like he put the time in this summer and will continue to hit the open shots.

Lowery and Perry both have some flashes of good shooting. So if CJ and PW get in the groove, the season could get quite interesting.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
If CW can stay committed to taking 2-4 3 pt shots a game and hit over 36% then he is probably going to be the front runner for A10 player of the year because no one will be able to stop him.

Give CW and MJ a decently reliable 3rd option (Lowery/Huelsman/Chris Johnson) and any 2 guys to step up on any given night out of the rest of the team other than an emerging 3rd optin, then this team will be very tough to stop.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 AM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Not trying to rain on the parade but I seem to remember CW hitting one or two 3s in the opening game last year and then almost never shot another one until he got hurt. I was quite surprised at how good his shot looked in that 1st game last year too.

Hopefully this year he will continue to shoot and make them early on to help gain the confidence and to open things up in the middle.
His rotation is absolutely beautiful and his shot has great arc--I'd say the only thing between him and 40% for the year is practice. I'd expect closer to 30% on this full year, which is plenty to make him a deadly threat from inside / outside.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
His rotation is absolutely beautiful and his shot has great arc--I'd say the only thing between him and 40% for the year is practice. I'd expect closer to 30% on this full year, which is plenty to make him a deadly threat from inside / outside.
If CW hits the 3 ball at the 35% plus look for this incredible athlete to be a Top 10 pick after next year...if he chooses.Athletes of this nature are very very rare in this world.Add the skill level like shooting with his body,height,etc. and VOILA!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Captain

UDFLYERS2K is on a distinguished road
I think that we are all in agreement that CW will be 1st team A-10 if he continues to hit 3's. However I was most impressed with the step-back jumper at the end of the first half. That was an NBA shot and very reminiscent of Brob. We are going to be very tough to beat on nights when CW and MJ are both hitting from everywhere on the court.