User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,528 Times in 776 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
South Carolina Game Observations

I don't know that UD can stay with USC - remember last year Julia Chandler had a strong game and it was a two point game going into the fourth quarter and I believe USC won by 10. Scaife and Whalen will have to have GREAT games to keep this one close.

Watching the USC win at Maryland I wonder about a few things. USC doesn't look to shoot three's at least what I could see that day - they were one of nine from that range. Will the Flyers pack it in and dare them to try? That is one fabulous freshman in the 6'5 Boston - she reminds me of Jonquel Jones when she was at GW as a senior. If they are packing it in I'd think there will be some double teaming to try to deny her the ball - it would also be nice if UD could push her away from the basket.

Flyers will have to try to go inside though Boston is also excellent with the blocks.

I'm also very impressed with their senior point guard Harris. I was thinking UD should go with a quick tempo to try to get Boston tired running the court but as good as Harris is I'm not sure that's a good idea.

USC is deep they'll play nine people within the first quarter.

I know the Flyers smashed Toledo on the boards but USC did the same to Maryland and I'm worried about them doing it here Wednesday night.

Any observations from our fine members is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,164 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest hurdle for Dayton is you have to be able to score to beat teams of this level. If you look at UDs Elite-8 run, we were able to outscore Kentucky and Louisville by putting up 80+ 90+ points. We had scorers all over the floor and could shoot or finish inside/outside.

This roster is not a collection of outside shooters or strong inside finishers. We routinely shoot 37% from the floor even against suspect competition. You just arent going to beat second weekend NCAA opponents by missing that many wide open shots, nevermind contested ones.

The Flyers will have to have their most efficient offensive game in over two seasons to have a chance in this one. They are not going to hold South Carolina to a low-scoring affair and win 59-55.

On paper its just not there. We leave 10-15 points off the scoreboard every night due to the inability to terminate makeable shots. And our guards are so small, against elite physical SEC level backcourts we can get easily exposed defensively. Its just too easy to get a shot up over the top of us.

Im predicting something like 77-62 Cocks. I think playing at home will help us a bit and perhaps put a run in us at some point to cut it to single digits, but the Cocks will be too big, fast, and physical over 40 minutes. Do we have a chance? Sure. They are not UConn where there is 0% chance. But it will take our best performance since perhaps the Louisville game down in Naples.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Brigadier General

Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
That's a fair assessment. By the way, I presume most will be there or watch on ESPN Plus but if anyone is listening at radio1660.com the halftime interview with be with Shaq Fowler.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (11-12-2019), jaburr91 (11-12-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow!

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Biggest hurdle for Daytonis you have to be able to score to beat teams of this level. If you look at UDs Elite-8 run, we were able to outscore Kentucky and Louisville by putting up 80+ 90+ points. We had scorers all over the floor and could shoot or finish inside/outside.

This roster is not a collection of shoot outside shooters or strong inside finishers. We routinely shoot 37% from the floor even against suspect competition. You just arent going to beat second weekend NCAA opponents by missing that many wide open shots, nevermind contested ones.

The Flyers will have to have their most efficient offensive game in over two seasons to have a chance in this one. They are not going to hold South Carolina to a low-scoring affair and win 59-55.

On paper its just not there. We leave 10-15 points off the scoreboard every night due to the inability to terminate makeable shots. And our guards are so small, against elite physical SEC level backcourts we can get easily exposed defensively. Its just too easy to get a shot up over the top of us.

Im predicting something like 77-62 Cocks. I think playing at home will help us a bit and perhaps put a run in us at some point to cut it to single digits, but the Cocks will be too big, fast, and physical over 40 minutes. Do we have a chance? Sure. They are not UConn where there is 0% chance. But it will take our best performance since perhaps the Louisville game down in Naples.
Wow! I hope you're right Chris. And I hope I'm wrong....but I think USC will win by more than 20, perhaps a lot more. I surely hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
That's a fair assessment. By the way, I presume most will be there or watch on ESPN Plus but if anyone is listening at radio1660.com the halftime interview with be with Shaq Fowler.
Not sure espn+ is the one carrying the game. Went looking for the Toledo game Saturday when up pops SC vs Dayton an espn feature. Either way it is being broadcast live. If it is ESPN that would make it a national game view.

Let's go flyers.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Wow! I hope you're right Chris. And I hope I'm wrong....but I think USC will win by more than 20, perhaps a lot more. I surely hope I'm wrong.
Unfortunately have to go with UACFLYER on this one. My predictions (which hopefully will be wrong) is by qtr
1st UD 5 SC 20, 2nd 20 each, halftime UD 25. SC 40

3rd 20 each as dayton hangs with them. Dreaded 4th qtr UD 10 SC 20. Final UD 55 SC 80.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Coach Grant's promo on WBB and MBB social media

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4yHtIMg..._web_copy_link

(No idea how we will do, hope for a competitive game)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 AM

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
They will be all over Scaife. She must play within herself and let the others shoot. If the others make some shots we can make it a game. If we shoot poorly, forget about it.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Erin scored 25 vs South Carolina as a sophomore at Vanderbilt. Let's hope lightning strikes twice. She was a 5-star recruit (#46 in nation), Ms NC Basketball - arguably our most decorated player since Ally Malott. Time to shine.

This unscientific projection has us losing by 11, but first in the A10.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2085&s=309913

Speaking of Ally, in case you missed it

https://www.journal-news.com/news/lo...pXdo3Fz8GQY0I/

Last edited by Columbia Blue; 11-13-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-13-2019, 06:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Ok, got rotisserie going, crow thawing just waiting for the Flyers to show me wrong.

Come on ladies you can do it. Go Flyers.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 PM
General of the Air Force

We don't belong on same court as South Carolina
Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Erin scored 25 vs South Carolina as a sophomore at Vanderbilt. Let's hope lightning strikes twice. She was a 5-star recruit (#46 in nation), Ms NC Basketball - arguably our most decorated player since Ally Malott. Time to shine.

This unscientific projection has us losing by 11, but first in the A10.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2085&s=309913

Speaking of Ally, in case you missed it

https://www.journal-news.com/news/lo...pXdo3Fz8GQY0I/
Did she win???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2019, 07:33 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
So this is what some of us meant by the team is unwatchable. Shooting 13% with 6 turnovers, 1-4 free throw shooting. We are slow on defense, slow on rebounding and very slow running the offense, which makes for forced shots and too many three point attempts. Whalen and Scaife are 1-10
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 PM
General of the Air Force

There is a good reason Shauna got so many transfers. They couldn't cut it where they were.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Well the crow is safe. Put back in freezer for another year.

Just not in the same league with the likes of gamecocks.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
This is brutal to watch. They are not boxing out, getting beat on defense and only Fowler appears to be able to play at this level.

I liked the late half spurt, but SC is too quick and aggresive for us. I think we will give UCONN a better game.

I say give Perez and Skeens the whole second half and let them develop against a top tier team.

Plus SC only has 9 freshman and sophomores...crazy how good they will be.

Let's cut it down this half!

Go Flyers!
Old 11-13-2019, 08:24 PM

Thanked 3,162 Times in 803 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
It is amazing the difference you see in talent level when watching womens basketball. The lack of athletic ability by scholarship players is just inexcusable. I know there are good players out there. Why cant this staff find them?
Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Scaife is 2-18. The rest 7-32.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
They will be all over Scaife. She must play within herself and let the others shoot. If the others make some shots we can make it a game. If we shoot poorly, forget about it.
So forget about it.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
There was one string in the 3rd qtr, I think, where there were at least 5 blocked shots in a row within 15 seconds. Maybe more. Finally Skeens flopped on the final block and got bailed out with a call.

And what's with Scaife? 2 for 18, and most of the misses were not even close. She looked gassed from the start. And while I'm at it, I'm not impressed with Whalen or Chandler or Ward. I'm still a fan, but they just look out of synch to me. Giaccone had a good game. Maybe use her more.

Most telling stat - we had one (1) assist in the entire first half. SC is a great team, but, wow.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Don't really know what to think of this team. Granted, the SC women were fast and aggressive, but the Flyers just couldn't buy a bucket for most of the first quarter.

Giacone stepped up tonight, but overall it was too little, too late.

Fowler plays hard every play and never got out-hustled. Can't say that about the rest of the team tonight.

Perez shows promise. She was aggressive inside, led the Flyers in rebounds, and was not afraid of the SC bigs.

It'll be interesting to see how the UConn game goes.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:15 PM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
SC was on a whole other level. But three national level players as freshman...that's nuts.

The talent level isn't even comparable. I hate saying it. SC looked like a national team playing against a regional AAU team. Not trying to be offensive to our team, but that was the comparison in terms of athleticism, physicality and size. One possession SC had either 4 or 5 blocks on consecutive shots.

This is one of those games you tell your players to forget at midnight, coaches break the film down for tomorrow, and move on.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:59 PM
Brigadier General

I was disappointed in only 2300 turning out guess ticket prices were a factor
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (11-13-2019), UACFlyer (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, expect less for UCONN, prices plus who wants to watch a bliwout.

Don't know what UD was thinking raising prices, developed the product first. Right now women are hard to watch.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:06 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
What we saw was not worth 20 bucks.

I have several criticisms. We obviously were getting torched in the first quarter with our man defense. Why did we not try some zone. Nothing to lose. Also, in our man defense, why were we going under the high ball screens. Both of these criticisms are on the coaching staff.

As to the players themselves, our lack of athletic ability is so discouraging. Shooting 22% is abysmal. So many shots are flings. Giacone hit a few late but Staley had long called off the dogs.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:09 PM
General of the Air Force

Jayla is 8 for 38 her first 3 games. Shauna benched her the 4th qtr. See if she starts Saturday. Skeens and the walkon played while she sat the pine.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,117 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
I believe Scaife may be trying to play through injury.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:22 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,117 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Posted via Mobile Device
And then most of those were SC (Zia Cooke) fans.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:42 PM

Thanked 17,164 Times in 5,120 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Can live with the final score but the effort and intensity level was conduct unbecoming. Other than Shaq, it was the walking dead out there. Chandler, Ward, and Whalen's feet were in poured concrete. Didnt outwork anyone for a rebound or loose ball. Ball-watched. Surrendered outlet passes and/or allowed 2-3-4 rebound/stick back attempts right under the rim. Only Perez to me seemed to show any fight inside.

One thing to take on a superior team and get clocked. But to do it w/o resistance and let them do it on your home court -- there was a lack of pride and toughness out there. Staley could have made this a 50pt margin if she wanted. The Gamecocks never even had to work for it. Thats my biggest disappointment. You can play your guts out and lose by 30, or take the court in a trance and achieve the same result. We showcased the latter. You wanted these big-time opponents to play you at home....and this was your thanks for them buying your sales pitch and taking a chance on you. Im sure Dawn is as disappointed as Shauna. She expected more from us too.

I dont understand why we cant add muscle definition on our players. Youd think 3-4 years in the weight room would make you sculpted like a Roman statue. As ud69 said, the lack of quick-twitch, speed, and athleticism was exposed in spades tonight. We must close this gap.

Its not time to pack it in. Many teams will get clobbered by South Carolina this year. But a physical sweat effort like this will also get us beat a number of times in the A10. We would not have beaten many teams tonight -- perhaps not even Toledo. Had we played as hard tonight as we did Toledo though, I think we could have kept it under 20 the entire 40 minutes. If you want to be elite, you cant take days off and plays off.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
keats '91 (11-14-2019), Sid Louick (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:38 AM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Starts with the coach. She’s been a disappointment. Weak recruiting, reliance on poor transfers and sub standard juco’s, poor on court adjustments, unable to motivate. . She initially had some success with her predecessor’s kids. She needs to go. We deserve better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Brigadier General

I didn't see this team not playing hard, when you are outclassed that perception may exist and no Jayla will not be 'benched" for the next game. There was a sequence in the second half where she missed three shots and got offensive rebounds each time before finally getting to the line. I don't believe she's hurt and why play in the fourth quarter of a blowout. Whalen had effort - forced shots unfortunately. Chandler and Ward - they can't keep up playing SEC competition - they'll contribute in A-10 play. Need to gain revenge for last year's overtime home loss Saturday at Northeastern . I was hoping for a respectable spread but when I saw USC enter the court seeing how physically long and imposing they are I thought uh oh and 22-6 confirmed my fears.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:50 AM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sad to say...

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Starts with the coach. She’s been a disappointment. Weak recruiting, reliance on poor transfers and sub standard juco’s, poor on court adjustments, unable to motivate. . She initially had some success with her predecessor’s kids. She needs to go. We deserve better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sad to say but Maddog is right.

The Dayton program has everything needed to succeed. The responsibility for lack of success rests squarely on the Coach.

The 2300 turnout for a Top-10 team is sending a strong message to Neil... raising the TX prices reflects tone-deafness to say the least. A better move would have been announcing that attendance was free!

UConn will be playing tOSU during its swing through Ohio. The tOSU-UD comparison should be interesting.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Brigadier General

So if every team wants to dump it's coach after losing by 26 to South Carolina there will be a lot of coaches out of work. UD played a potential final four team last night - I didn't like the result either but leave the "fire the coach" out of the discussion please.
Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Perspective

So if every team wants to dump it's coach after losing by 26 to South Carolina there will be a lot of coaches out of work. UD played a potential final four team last night - I didn't like the result either but leave the "fire the coach" out of the discussion please.
Barney, I thought UD's expectations were higher than your remarks suggest.

Losing is one thing. Playing at home and looking as if you don't even belong on the court with a Top-tier opponent is something else entirely.

That is the point. Losing by 20, or so, and fighting down to the wire is one thing. Losing by 20 when it's clear that the opponent could have won by 50 is another.

The attendance is sending a strong message. It's time to listen.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
The 2300 turnout for a Top-10 team is sending a strong message to Neil... raising the TX prices reflects tone-deafness to say the least. A better move would have been announcing that attendance was free!
Not sure about free, but agree with jacking up the ticket price for these two games. Doubling the price is a game changer for many of the faithful that follow the women, let alone the casual fan who might come to see a national championship contender.

Folks will probably show up regardless of the price vs UCONN just to see Geno, he's the John Wooden of women's hoops. South Carolina...not so much.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Was just wondering...when a team is up by 24/26 points, why is your high scorer still in the game till the very end? Is it to increase one's position in the polls?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Brigadier General

That's the thing I didn't think Staley "called off the dogs" she still played the lady from Toledo, Cooke in the fourth quarter and the freshman Boston played in the fourth quarter as well. Sad to say but I don't see UD getting top echelon players like the ones South Carolina had on display last night. The combo of Mallott and Andrea Hoover I don't see happening again - Ally was a local athlete who wanted to stay home and Andrea was so under the radar that Jim did a great job discovering her. Also, not that many local kids are making a splash anywhere - I will say I wish Libby Bazelak who is coming into her own at Duquesne would've stayed but she wanted to join her sister who was a volleyball player at the time.

This may sound defeatist but during the game all I could think was "Thank goodness UD is in the A-10."
Old 11-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't think Staley "called off the dogs"

Then you must have watched a different game than I did.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
keats '91 (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:40 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
When our team doesn't have a player that could make the opponent's top 8/9, the other coach isn't calling off the dogs. She is building her pound for the next level of competition so she will be deep for the NCAA's. Her running up the score is not the end game, but rather an afterthought. We shouldn't be critical, we should be envious.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Posted via Mobile Device

My comments on the “Coach” are not centered on this game although I wonder why we play them if we aren’t supposed to compete- and we didn’t- got blown away in our house. Look at the team she’s recruited- underwhelming! Transfers that we jumped on based on hs credentials. You’d think we never saw them play . Don’t think their former teams were to sad to see them go. Mediocre juco’s. Now we’re attracting girls reneging on their college choice- probably with good reasons but why can’t we compete initially, Coach? We have virtually no shooters. We are way undersized at guard. We don’t develop players- they get worse. We are undisciplined , run few plays . 2&11 last year on the road. Destroyed in the WNIT. Once Jabirs kids were gone , she’s shown me nothing.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

My comments on the “Coach” are not centered on this game although I wonder why we play them if we aren’t supposed to compete- and we didn’t- got blown away in our house. Look at the team she’s recruited- underwhelming! Transfers that we jumped on based on hs credentials. You’d think we never saw them play . Don’t think their former teams were to sad to see them go. Mediocre juco’s. Now we’re attracting girls reneging on their college choice- probably with good reasons but why can’t we compete initially, Coach? We have virtually no shooters. We are way undersized at guard. We don’t develop players- they get worse. We are undisciplined , run few plays . 2&11 last year on the road. Destroyed in the WNIT. Once Jabirs kids were gone , she’s shown me nothing.
The above is very hard for me to swallow, and I have been trying to deny it for the last year. However, I unfortunately think Maddog is right. When the highlight of last night was a backup player shooting well in cleanup time and "Shaq" taking 3-4 charges, it shakes my beliefs to the core. That offense we ran last night was slow and totally ineffective.

I have loved Jayla Scaife since she committed, but something is wrong. She is 8-38 with 23 points in 3 games. Either she is sick, or injured or has given up the ghost. She is as good as any player on SC, but not like she is playing right now. She rarely drives to the basket or near it. This year's team is as good as last year, but that is a problem.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
I think the issue with Scaife is the team around her. Fowler and Bradshaw rarely look to pass back out when they penetrate and that hurts Scaife.

She had Burdette, Cannatelli, Austria and others around her. Now she is drawing better defenders and I think she is pushing herself. I saw her penetration into the lane a lot last night, but she was hesitant after getting her shot blocked a couple times. She changed her shot a few times and that hurt her confidence. Hopefully, she can get it back against Northeastern.

Our guards need to kick it back out when the drive shuts down. However, this is not part of their game and that is on the coach.

We need guards who can pass and shoot and we don't have that right now. I think we are going to be fine in the A10, but we have to get some things flowing on offense...too much standing around.

I think Green is a good coach and recruiter...just wondering what our assistants are like because they are the ones who really teach a lot in practice. Whoever is working with our bigs needs to have them work on finishing around the basket.

Hopefully, we get a win and build some confidence.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
keats '91 (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Jayla is playing with shin splints. Couple that with no other true shooting threats allowing defenses to focus mostly on her, and this is what we get.
I would like to see Giancone and Skeens in the game more regardless of their defense.
I saw promise in Amari Davidson last year, hope she can return sooner rather than later.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2019), jaburr91 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
Was just wondering...when a team is up by 24/26 points, why is your high scorer still in the game till the very end? Is it to increase one's position in the polls?
Ask Huggins. He used to have starters in with 2:00 to go and a 20-point lead when he was at UC.

That said, kudos to his WVU program for agreeing to participate in the benefit for tornado victims. A class move.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Academy Doolie

Flyer34 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyer34 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyer34 has a spectacular aura about
Posted via Mobile Device

Scaife, Wilmoth, Giacone, & Szabo are the last of Jabir's kids. He just never officially coached them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyer34 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 08:57 AM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
There are many reasons for this. I’ll use the OSU vs Villanova men’s game for example:

Under 1 min left and OSU up 20+. Villanova scores and calls a time-out. The Queen asks me ‘Why?’ and the answer is simple! Because Jay Wright wanted to set up and work on/improve his full-court press so that when he made need it, his starters actually have some in-game experience applying it. OSU still had 2 starters and their top 3 bench players (major studs) on the court...it was a great call by Jay Wright and one I’d expect our men’s/women’s coaches to do, too.

It’s early in the season for everyone and as long as the other team has their regular rotation on the court, and you have an opportunity to work on or test something, you do it.

Blow-outs are not always mop-up opportunities...especially in early season games where you’re looking to improve.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by rollo; 11-15-2019 at 08:59 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2019), NJFlyr71 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Academy Doolie

Flyer34 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyer34 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyer34 has a spectacular aura about
Posted via Mobile Device
Y'all are so hard on her.. I understand, yes she is the head coach at a prestigious university with a winning tradition. They weren't just her predecessor's kids, they were here kids too. Many forget she was a big reason why some of the players on the Elite 8 team were in a uniform in the first place. She left her squad at Northwestern right before the season started to come and save us. She's 2/3 right now going into her 4th year. Y'all are judging her off of one down season and 3 games into this one. In no way, shape, or form can we tell how the season is going to go. 2016-17 you would've never thought the team would've been regular season and tournament champions judging by the start. The start is very important but it's about how you finish. Jabir didn't have the best start but he worked and worked and achieved success towards his later years. As far as the court goes, its a 2 way street. Practice can be perfect, game plan in place and players will go out and just fall apart which, I bet, is very frustrating from a coaching prospective because all the heat comes back on her and staff. Sure, some games she may get out coached but there definitely have been games where players get/have been out played. Shauna won't let the ship sink and I wholeheartedly believe in her. She can motivate like no other, she can coach, she can develop. When she accepted this job, she didn't say it was going to be perfect but that it would be a process and that she would give it all she's got. As this is the land of the free, say what you please but have faith even if it's just a little.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Flyer34; 11-15-2019 at 09:19 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer34 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2019), jaburr91 (11-15-2019), NJFlyr71 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Academy Doolie

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Can live with the final score but the effort and intensity level was conduct unbecoming. Other than Shaq, it was the walking dead out there. Chandler, Ward, and Whalen's feet were in poured concrete. Didnt outwork anyone for a rebound or loose ball. Ball-watched. Surrendered outlet passes and/or allowed 2-3-4 rebound/stick back attempts right under the rim. Only Perez to me seemed to show any fight inside.

One thing to take on a superior team and get clocked. But to do it w/o resistance and let them do it on your home court -- there was a lack of pride and toughness out there. Staley could have made this a 50pt margin if she wanted. The Gamecocks never even had to work for it. Thats my biggest disappointment. You can play your guts out and lose by 30, or take the court in a trance and achieve the same result. We showcased the latter. You wanted these big-time opponents to play you at home....and this was your thanks for them buying your sales pitch and taking a chance on you. Im sure Dawn is as disappointed as Shauna. She expected more from us too.

I dont understand why we cant add muscle definition on our players. Youd think 3-4 years in the weight room would make you sculpted like a Roman statue. As ud69 said, the lack of quick-twitch, speed, and athleticism was exposed in spades tonight. We must close this gap.

Its not time to pack it in. Many teams will get clobbered by South Carolina this year. But a physical sweat effort like this will also get us beat a number of times in the A10. We would not have beaten many teams tonight -- perhaps not even Toledo. Had we played as hard tonight as we did Toledo though, I think we could have kept it under 20 the entire 40 minutes. If you want to be elite, you cant take days off and plays off.
To your point of muscle definition, strength comes before the girth. Some girls have the muscle definition of a pitbull and lack strength - some have the muscle definition of a chicken breast and have strength out of this world. Some girls are kangaroos, some are cheetahs, some are turtles. All different strengths, body types, and motions. You can physically be the strongest on the court but you have to play with heart. One who does not play with heart will always be weak no matter how strong they are. Ex: Szabo, is she the strongest? no but when she does touch the court be it practice or a game, she goes HARD and plays with heart, thats strength in my eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer34 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2019), jaburr91 (11-15-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I see the Gamecocks beat Clemson by 36 today.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-25-2019)