UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,161 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down All of the chaos surroundng demand for student tickets and we get...

...this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg students.jpg (93.4 KB, 249 views)

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-07-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Yikes. Thursday is practically Friday in college, too.

Students, you have to do better.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Colonel

Flyer1407 is infamous around these parts
That is pathetic even for an exhibition game.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM

AFflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
thats what we kept trying to say would happen. People dont want to go to the "unpolular" games even though people consider them "die hard" fans for attending vball, soccer, softball, etc
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really niceFlyerFanatic21 is just really nice
I don't appear in that picture because I already have started getting season tickets so I don't have to associate myself with that anymore.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
1st Lieutenant

KiefaberAlum08 will become famous soon enough
It's a Thursday night, and the first exhibition for a team who hasn't maybe the tournament in the in career of any of the students...who cares?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
Keep it up students and the homies will run you out.

If you don't have blue hair .... you ain't going to be no where.

In other words... The less the students support the team the more reason the students will be found ONLY in the rafters.

I was there and the student section had a small filled block.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
2nd Lieutenant

UDFlyer20 will become famous soon enough
Well I can tell you one thing. I got there at 5:30 for the women's game (seat number 2 ) and stayed till the end of the men's game. I was pretty disappointed with the student turnout tho. I'll be more interested to see what happens when the real games start. Otherwise I thought the team looked pretty good tonight. I just need to find a way to sneak in a febreeze bottle into UD arena
Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 AM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Maybe just maybe they are sending a message to Red Scare. You people don't understand the hatred for them on campus.

I bet it will be full, the whole section for the first game ... exhibitions not so much.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ View Post
Maybe just maybe they are sending a message to Red Scare. You people don't understand the hatred for them on campus.

I bet it will be full, the whole section for the first game ... exhibitions not so much.

Let me see if I understand your logic -

Because of the "hatred" for the Red Scare the students do not want to support their hoops team? I know with that kind of logic I would have flunked Boolean Algebra.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
allflyernamesaregone (11-07-2008)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
Hahaha ... I am not a student anymore, but I know how students feel about the situation, it is just a hunch.

But if you read my post, I believe it will be full for the first game. I think they are trying to get a point across in the exhibition, just a thought.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
To be fair, this picture was taken before tip-off.
Much of the arena was scattered with empty seats before the game started, not just the student section.

Only 8,300 people showed up to the game>???

This is the students fault.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Lieutenant

AllAroundUDFan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LebronJames View Post
To be fair, this picture was taken before tip-off.
Much of the arena was scattered with empty seats before the game started, not just the student section.

Only 8,300 people showed up to the game>???

This is the students fault.
Wow, Good point

I was also at both games. It wasn't a great turnout by any means from all parties. There were plenty of open seats scattered throughout even the lower level. And like Lebron said, this was before tip off. It didn't increase a ton more, but it filled in some.

With this being a late game on a Thursday, I'm sure some students didn't want to make the trip for a game that didn't count.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Thursday night exhibition game vs. Capital, can't expect a good turnout.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the problem is not the lack of student support but rather the lack of support by students who hold the tickets.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
The students can sit in my 300 level seats and I will be in the student section for EVERY game!!!:frog:
Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Question I just don't get it

Originally Posted by Browns View Post
Thursday night exhibition game vs. Capital, can't expect a good turnout.
Sure it was an exh. game against a lesser known school, but why would people (students or otherwise) that call themselves Flyer fans not take the opportunity to see the team play in a real game for the first time this season? We made some odd passing choices, but for the most part the team performed fantasticly. Our depth this season is incredible. We will be ble to have a fresh team on the floor for 40 minutes every game...barring any injuries, of course. I have to admit that I was holding my breath when Kurt and London went down, but they both got right back in there and got it done. I am excited about this season, and for those of you who didn't bother to show up for the game last night...your loss. You missed a great game.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
it has been that way far too many times the last few years. Everything in the lower arena is packed except for the student section.

So are the tickets given out and the students with them just don't show up? WHat's the deal?

BTW, the lower arena was packed EXCEPT for the student sections which were only about half full.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
Maybe T-Man was on to something?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,569 Times in 939 Posts
IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by singlet_of_truth View Post
Maybe T-Man was on to something?
What are you talking about? He wanted to have the entire lower bowl (or nearly) reserved for students. How do you think that would have worked out last night?

If you are referring to the home schedule - this is an exhibition game.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Major

LebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of lightLebronJames is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
it has been that way far too many times the last few years. Everything in the lower arena is packed except for the student section.

So are the tickets given out and the students with them just don't show up? WHat's the deal?

BTW, the lower arena was packed EXCEPT for the student sections which were only about half full.

Tickets were not given to the students for the Exhibition game, if you showed up with your ID, it was first come, first serve.

It is just not true that the lower arena was packed EXCEPT the student section. The student section was not full, but neither was the lower bowl by any stretch.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Captain

GRFlyer will become famous soon enoughGRFlyer will become famous soon enough
This whole thread is silly. It was exhibition, it was Thursday, the Browns were playing, the game meant NOTHING.

I haven't been a student for four years, but I remember being one of the only students at the games for these things.

Exhibitions are BORING and a waste of my season ticket money.

Don't jump on the students for this. If they don't show up to the real games, then you can go nuts.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Student Section

Chris, this was a pathetic showing by the students. More of this and the discussion will resume' with regard to selling the lower bowl seats on the edge of the student section to people who want to "attend" the games. Lower bowl seats are typically offered to alums (when they are available), etc., for 2500.00/$5,000.00 per seat , etc. which adds significant money to the athletic budget. While I know that some "students" are young and possibly some/many/most haven't had to really pay for a whole lot to attend UD or very little to attend UD sporting events---over what there parents or them pay for there tuition, etc. it seems to me that there is a certain amount of the student population that comes off as spoiled brats!

Man, like other folks have said----people yak about the ticket policies, Red Scare, etc. and then don't show up to support CW, BG and the rest of there team on the floor of the UD arena because it's only an exhibition? Because it's only Capital? Because it's only Mercer?

To me, there is no way for students to put any positive spin on this picture or there numerous pathetic efforts to support the basketball team over the past several years! Many of us pay a lot of our hard earned money each year (ie. 400-2500.00 per seat plus the ticket prices and parking on top of that) and find it hard to believe how few students find there way to the arena to attend games at times. It's a disgrace!

If the ticket policy, Red Scare practices, TK or some other problem exists that causes the students to stay on campus during the games, I would understand that athletics might want to start selling some of these premier seats for the money that is used to fund the budget. With the student section pictured above, I wouldn't question the decision.
Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLORIDAFLYER (11-07-2008)
Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
the picture was 2 seconds before tipoff. I should know, I took it and made a point to snap the photo at tipoff because someone wouild point out i took it 20 minutes prior.

what do you mean by real games? Was i watching holograms out there last night?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GRFlyer View Post
This whole thread is silly. It was exhibition, it was Thursday, the Browns were playing, the game meant NOTHING.

I haven't been a student for four years, but I remember being one of the only students at the games for these things.

Exhibitions are BORING and a waste of my season ticket money.

Don't jump on the students for this. If they don't show up to the real games, then you can go nuts.
Totally agree. I also have not been a student for a few years and remember the exhibition games being poorly attended not only by the students, but the general public. I know if I were still at UD I would have elected to watch the Browns (from Cleveland) play in a MEANINGFUL game rather than watch a game that is a notch above a scrimmage. The next preseason game is way more meaningful as Gannon has some talent and I expect to see more attendance all around. (Probably around 9,500 people).
Old 11-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Captain

GRFlyer will become famous soon enoughGRFlyer will become famous soon enough
That game mattered as much to our standings as any practice, scrimmage, etc. that happened in the last six months. That game meant nothing.

I would consider myself as big a UD fan as any, I go to almost every home game and several road games every year. The Browns and Broncos played a game that actually meant something last night so I skipped the UD game. I can't blame any students for doing the same thing.

Face it, the only students that would show up to a meaningless game in early November are the die-hard fanatics. By that picture, it looks like that is who showed up. This should be no surprise. Like I said, if this picture becomes reality once the regular season starts, then go ahead and complain.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Colonel

lilrudy4787 will become famous soon enough
sorry for partying...and also the Browns game was on...and dayton is pretty heavily packed with clevelanders like myself. I know that milanos, bdubs, and bargos, and fieldhouse were all packed with people watching the game
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant General

IAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIAFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe I'm missing something here.

There was an entire thread dedicated to how the students aren't getting tickets to games and it's not fair and there aren't enough seats for students, etc.

To me the complaining was coming from the students. Not about the students.

Chris just happened to point out that with their first chance to show their support of the team this year - exhibition or not - they failed to show up at all.

I will like to see a picture of a regular season game that is not Miami or that team down south.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by GRFlyer View Post
That game mattered as much to our standings as any practice, scrimmage, etc. that happened in the last six months. That game meant nothing.

I would consider myself as big a UD fan as any, I go to almost every home game and several road games every year. The Browns and Broncos played a game that actually meant something last night so I skipped the UD game. I can't blame any students for doing the same thing.

Face it, the only students that would show up to a meaningless game in early November are the die-hard fanatics. By that picture, it looks like that is who showed up. This should be no surprise. Like I said, if this picture becomes reality once the regular season starts, then go ahead and complain.
you mean the same browns game that means nothing because they wont make the playoffs? Or the browns game that was so meaningful because of a new QB?

Also these die hard flyer fanatics the ones who show up to the other fall sports that everyone supports and says that they should get the best seats whether they show up or not? I know I made the exibition games the past years when I was at UD but did I get to sit in the lower level during the regular season? no. I dont like soccer or vball, we didnt play it at my high school so i have no interest in it. But I still showed up for ex games and sat in my seats at all normal games and then moved down to the peoples seats that didnt show up. this is why redscare is hated so much. Their system isnt working. It shows that no spirit points = no students. Why would there be no spirit points when the whole point of them is for bball tickets? Makes no sense to me

Originally Posted by IAFlyer View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here.

There was an entire thread dedicated to how the students aren't getting tickets to games and it's not fair and there aren't enough seats for students, etc.

To me the complaining was coming from the students. Not about the students.

Chris just happened to point out that with their first chance to show their support of the team this year - exhibition or not - they failed to show up at all.

I will like to see a picture of a regular season game that is not Miami or that team down south.
Again that discussion was coming from students who were told there were no student tickets available, that they were sold out. Tell me where all these students are since they sold out of them.

Last edited by AFflyer; 11-07-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Tickets were not given to the students for the Exhibition game, if you showed up with your ID, it was first come, first serve.

Then you obviously can't lay this at the feet of the Red Scare. All I am hearing are whiny butt excuses - meaningless game, Thursday night, Browns are on,. If you could make it to a bar, then you could make it to the game. The bottom line is the students did not show.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
While I enjoy certain blowhards spouting theories of organized efforts to not attend last night's game to "send Red Scare a message", other sports attendances clearly show that this is not the case and the student population is participating in the spirit point system. Over 900 students attended the Women's soccer game last friday. (Sadly) I highly doubt they were there for the soccer, they were there for the points and to better there chances at basketball tickets. I'd expect similar numbers tonight for the volleyball game against Xavier. Have exhibition attendances ever been really high? I can't remember them being very big ever. I would guess the Browns game and a thursday night game against Capital being the culprits. Of course, who knows if all these students attending games will attend every game, but to say that the lack of attendance is because of spirit points in pretty laughable and uninformed.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:53 PM

So missing games that should now be in the "Red Scare Charter of Valid Excuses" include:

1. any time the Browns are on TV
2. exhibition games not involving the Phoenix Suns
3. ladies night at Chipotle
4. season premiere of 30 Rock
5. meteor showers and other celestial phenomena
6. rain
7. bridge renovations
8. ohio state football
9. i had to vote?
10. dog ate my homework and I had to re-type it on a Smith Corona in Roesch Library

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (11-10-2008)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
So missing games that should now be in the "Red Scare Charter of Valid Excuses" include:

3. ladies night at Chipotle
Why in god's name does this not exist.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
I was at the game. Maybe all those empty seats in the student section were actually students dressed up as empty seats for Halloween. Can we get an upclose zoom shot.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
Let's be fair, there's not much that can compete with a ladies night at chipotle.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Just off the Jet

FlyerWarrior
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted, although I still continue to read. I just want to make a few points. First as has been repeated several times, this was an exhibition game. With only 8300 in attendence, I don't think the rest of the fans pulled their weigh either. Secondly, the Browns were on and not only that, but Brady Quinn was starting so you can't tell me people didn't want to watch that instead of an exhibition game. Now with that said, yes, the students do need to come to games and the exhibition game would have been a great point for them to show how into this season they were gonna be. I guess, we'll have to wait and see. But if there's a FULL turnout, I hope Chris is gonna give due diligence and take a picture to show how FULL it was.

Students, I just backed you up...don't make me eat my words.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerWarrior View Post
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted, although I still continue to read. I just want to make a few points. First as has been repeated several times, this was an exhibition game. With only 8300 in attendence, I don't think the rest of the fans pulled their weigh either.
the lower arena was mostly full, other than the student section which was mostly empty.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris,

Great post and you beat me to it. I looked at our fellow 215 friends and told him, "You know the students were *****ing about seats and look what the turnout is." Keep it up and the seats will be given to folks that are willing to pay over 1100 a pair for seats.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Im still waiting for someone to give Flyer20 an apology for not getting tickets. Redscare said they sold out, everyone on the board *****ed and moaned about how he was to late, etc. Yet most the students you were sticking up for and the red scare system is shown to have a major flaw. People dont show up for UD basketball anymore.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,432 Times in 681 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I sympathize with the students. I consider myself a hardcore Flyer fan, but instead of watching the game online last night, I went to a movie. The bottom line, IMO, is that it was an exhibition game. I could have taken a picture of the lack of students at the red/blue game and tried to incite a small uproar, but to me that would be meaningless. If the students aren't showing up to the regular season games (yes, even against the powerhouses like Wofford and Bethune Cookman), then we can lay into them because there will be no excuse. But I don't blame them for watching the Browns game, or going to ladies night at Chipotle (in fact, I would blame them for not going if there was such a thing), or whatever instead of watching a meaningless basketball game. When the games count, that's when their attendance should count also.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Captain

ELDoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Comming from a student that just recently graduated here was my perspective on missing some games at the end of the season last year:

Taking the bus over can be fun........ but not if you have other things to do that night such as homework! You have to wait on the bus to get there, then hope you get there in time and then hope you can get back to campus quickly to take care of whatever you have to get done. So what I usually did was just drive to the games......not anymore. No parking pass so I have to take a bus anyways! Its too much of a hassel if you have something other than basketball going on that night.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Just off the Jet

FlyerWarrior
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
the lower arena was mostly full, other than the student section which was mostly empty.
I got that. That wasn't the point of my post. Of coures the lower bowl is gonna be full. There's 8000 people in the arena. If there are empty seats, people will move down and therefore, lower bowl full. Anyway if we wanna talk percentages...student section looked to be about 35% full (roughly 250 out of about 700 seats) The rest of the Arena was therefore about 60% full (8K/12.7K). Significant difference when comparing, but nothing to get too excited about. If the difference b/w the 2 was closer to 35-40%, then we might have a problem. Now if it's the same come opening night, I'll be furious.

Last edited by FlyerWarrior; 11-07-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
Originally Posted by AFflyer View Post
Im still waiting for someone to give Flyer20 an apology for not getting tickets. Redscare said they sold out, everyone on the board *****ed and moaned about how he was to late, etc. Yet most the students you were sticking up for and the red scare system is shown to have a major flaw. People dont show up for UD basketball anymore.
I bet he appreciates the ability to buy them today at 5 PM more than an apology.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Just off the Jet

FlyerWarrior
one more thing

I will admit, I didn't read any of the posts where students were complaining about not having tickets, so I don't know much of that background. But here's my PERSONAL view on that. Yes, you are at UD to get an education, and that is the most important thing. But don't come on here complaining that you don't have tickets if you not gonna go to the games ---when you do have tickets or when they are available---. I never missed a home flyer basketball game from my sophomore year to my senior year. And I was there 1 1/2 hours before and be there 1 hour after the game because what I did got me some of the best seats in the house and I LOVED the games. My point is, if it's that important, YOU MAKE time. Maybe that requires studying a couple days before an exam, or writing 3 pages of that 6 page paper a couple days before it is due. Again, if it's important enough, you'll make time, then you have room to complain. Otherwise, do your homework and but tickets to the games you wanna go to like the rest of the Arena.

Last edited by FlyerWarrior; 11-07-2008 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Clarification for AFflyer
Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Should the Band be counted in this tally of voters since they are required to be there. I demand a recount.

On lack of parking passes for students. The number of parking spots has gone down since they are constructing an entrance to Welcome Stadium.
I hope there are enough spots for all those who have parking passes once the regular season starts.

The UD Dance Team did one number last night. Based on recent history I assume we will never see them the rest of the season.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
On lack of parking passes for students. The number of parking spots has gone down since they are constructing an entrance to Welcome Stadium.
I hope there are enough spots for all those who have parking passes once the regular season starts.
This is one of the reasons there is now a free parking lot. That way pass holders have a spot.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerWarrior View Post
I will admit, I didn't read any of the posts where students were complaining about not having tickets, so I don't know much of that background. But here's my PERSONAL view on that. Yes, you are at UD to get an education, and that is the most important thing. But don't come on here complaining that you don't have tickets if you not gonna go to the games.
How can they go to the game if they dont have tickets?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
the picture was 2 seconds before tipoff. I should know, I took it and made a point to snap the photo at tipoff because someone wouild point out i took it 20 minutes prior.

what do you mean by real games? Was i watching holograms out there last night?

Wolf Blitzer strikes again.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,618 Times in 5,097 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
What a shame to have such a large block of seats unoccupied at a game. There has to be some way to open that up to the loyal fans in the 300 and 400 sections who come rain or shine. I'm shocked at the apathy of the students. I have been pumped about this team for a while now.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
2nd Lieutenant

addicted2flyers
A thought on all of this.

Been awhile since i came on here, i try to avoid the "what if" and 3 years from now prospects talk, but i missed the game last night so i came here for some input.

I think alot of the season ticket holders on this site are forgetting how important the student section is. While, even when full, the students only take up a small part of the entire stadium, they are responsible for most of the NOISE and EXCITEMENT in the arena, alot of what makes UD basketball game so special and our home court so dangerous.

That being said, i will agree that the students have lost some of their noise and attendance over the past couple year. Most students, i know i did, do not start out as a die hard fan from game one. It takes some exciting games to draw them back to the seats, not exhibitions.

Anyhoo, I feel very strongly that students need to be down near the court. I'd prefer it if they were right behind the away team's bench. It is red scare's job to get the students to the games, which has declines over the years. Maybe they should go back to camping out. As much as that sucked, it definitley made it more satisfying when you camped out all night with your friends in the freezing cold to get seats right near the court and watch us bull out a big win. If students thought they could just show up and get lower level seats more students might come. But if i were a freshman who had no spirit points and no understanding of how big basketball was, why would i show up thinking i'm gonna see a bunch of ants play.

So if you old folks would get on your feet without the students telling you to, or stop acting like you're watching golf in a library, maybe the arena would not be so depended on the students in the lower sections.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Major

singlet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the roughsinglet_of_truth is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by addicted2flyers View Post
Been awhile since i came on here, i try to avoid the "what if" and 3 years from now prospects talk, but i missed the game last night so i came here for some input.

I think alot of the season ticket holders on this site are forgetting how important the student section is. While, even when full, the students only take up a small part of the entire stadium, they are responsible for most of the NOISE and EXCITEMENT in the arena, alot of what makes UD basketball game so special and our home court so dangerous.

That being said, i will agree that the students have lost some of their noise and attendance over the past couple year. Most students, i know i did, do not start out as a die hard fan from game one. It takes some exciting games to draw them back to the seats, not exhibitions.
Poor T-Man. He would have filled pages with his thoughts on this subject (and a few I told you so's). You can't really blame the students for not showing to an exhibition game (or the other fans as evidenced by only 8,300 fans).

Also, if rumors are true, it sounds like the admin is making it somewhat difficult on students - I have to confess I didn't fully read up on this. No idea why they would have any interest in doing this (unless of course they rather have butts in the seat that don't pay the discounted student rate). Our recent string of mediocre seasons doesn't help. And this year's home schedule won't either. I'm sure the students were crazy last year when we were ranked - and if we win this year, the students will be there again in droves.

For me, last year's travesty of not making the big dance still stings - and I am far from convinced that we are anything but NIT bound this year (I would like to eat my words on this). I can't lie - my passion for the Flyers this year is a bit dulled. I'm tired of mediocrity.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
The whole point to this thread was to point out that there was a previous thread that complained about not being able to get student tickets. I really don't know how many could not get tickets but with festival seating for the game some students didn't go.

There loss... as a basketball fan I really enjoyed the game. Capital was no slouch as a opponent. They played a very diciplined game and made their shots. Go Flyers
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AFflyer (11-08-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 AM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Flyer Fanantics go to all the games.

Originally Posted by KiefaberAlum08 View Post
It's a Thursday night, and the first exhibition for a team who hasn't maybe the tournament in the in career of any of the students...who cares?
I do and my 83 year old mother cares.

We were at the Arena at 5:00 and my mom at 83 sat there for 5 hours for both games .

So you tell me the so called UD students can't go to even one game.

She goes to every game no matter who they are playing and has gone for well over 50 years.

No excuses students get your as!! to the games.
'

Last edited by John R; 11-08-2008 at 12:28 PM..
Mad Props to John R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (11-10-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by addicted2flyers View Post
I think alot of the season ticket holders on this site are forgetting how important the student section is.
Has nothing to do with that.

It's like ****ing and moaning to your boss about not getting a piece of equipment that you need. You have argued time and time again that you need it to make you do your job better, be more efficient, and produce more for the company. So the boss forks out the money and sacrifices some coin for you. FedEx delivers the piece of equipment and it sits in the box. Boss then has concerns with why you aren't using what you demanded that you needed to do your job. Especially when your boss could have put that investment in something that was going to have a return every day.

You don't come on here and ***** about location and availability in regards to something that apparently you feel is a RIGHT and not a PRIVILEGE. Looks like everyone has this mentality these days.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerYouBetcha (11-08-2008), IAFlyer (11-08-2008), rollo (11-08-2008), ud69 (11-08-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
i dont get the point of this thread...i mean you make it sound like everyone was *****ing and moaning about the ticket distribution. there was one huge thread on this board about it, with a few students chiming in...somehow that means everyone must have been upset about the ticket distribution.

like some others have mentioned, mediocre seasons, combined with this years schedule buzz is gonna be down. once we get rolling and get some wins under the belt they'll flock back....but if not many are there for some of the first couple games i wouldnt get upset. i think we all agree non conf sched is down, i'd expect more to show up once we hit conference play.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Does anyone on this board read the post or make up their own in their head and then just start typing? The other thread was about a student who was told that there were no more student vouchers/tickets available. MANY people said that they would like to go back ot the old system of camping out so the true fans would get seats.

THIS thread shows that all the people who were against the thread poster and students, saying that they should suck it up and go to all the fall sports games, is in the wrong. Now you sit here and complain about how there are no students there, how the previous thread starter was complaining about nothing because its not full. Maybe had red scare given out tickets vouchers to everyone and let the first people in line get the first row instead of ****ing a lot of students off throughout the years more people would show up.

Start reading the post people, you are making arguements about things nobody is arguing about
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AFflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (11-08-2008), GetFlyeredup (11-08-2008), LebronJames (11-08-2008), udhoopsfan (11-08-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Does anyone on this board read the post or make up their own in their head and then just start typing? The other thread was about a student who was told that there were no more student vouchers/tickets available. MANY people said that they would like to go back ot the old system of camping out so the true fans would get seats.

THIS thread shows that all the people who were against the thread poster and students, saying that they should suck it up and go to all the fall sports games, is in the wrong. Now you sit here and complain about how there are no students there, how the previous thread starter was complaining about nothing because its not full. Maybe had red scare given out tickets vouchers to everyone and let the first people in line get the first row instead of ****ing a lot of students off throughout the years more people would show up.

Start reading the post people, you are making arguements about things nobody is arguing about
Exactly right. The other thread was a "true fan" complaining he couldn't get tickets because Red Scare distributed the tickets earlier than advertised. This thread only reinforces that person was correct. It's great to see that administrator of this website unnecessarily criticizing the students (which, though they weren't there, count in the tickets sold for attendance purposes) while nearly 5,000 non-students did not find time to make the game.

Relax people, wait until the regular season to start your criticism.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by John R View Post
I do and my 83 year old mother cares.

We were at the Arena at 5:00 and my mom at 83 sat there for 5 hours for both games .

So you tell me the so called UD students can't go to even one game.

She goes to every game no matter who they are playing and has gone for well over 50 years.

No excuses students get your as!! to the games.
'
Give me a ****ing break. I can guarantee that 99% of the students do not have the time to spend 6 hours watching 2 meaningless basketball games. If I had to guess, you mother has absolutely nothing better to do with her time than watch both games, which is absolutely fine, but stop criticizing students for not being able to go to every god **** game
Old 11-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by GetFlyeredup View Post
Exactly right. The other thread was a "true fan" complaining he couldn't get tickets because Red Scare distributed the tickets earlier than advertised. This thread only reinforces that person was correct. It's great to see that administrator of this website unnecessarily criticizing the students (which, though they weren't there, count in the tickets sold for attendance purposes) while nearly 5,000 non-students did not find time to make the game.

Relax people, wait until the regular season to start your criticism.
I don't follow your logic. "True fans" were upset about the distribution method. As I understand it from earlier in this thread, vouchers were not needed for this game - you just need to show up with your student ID.

So, "true fans" are those that complain about Red Scare (we had other issues with distribution when I was a student - no plan is perfect), yet they don't show up to a game that doesn't require vouchers/tickets. By the looks of it, they could have had pretty darn good seats as well.

Excuses have already begun for the regular season (non-con sched) as well. Sorry, doesn't hold water. I went to games at every possible chance, because it was a good time. Frankly, with the exception of one year (1984) we had rather mediocre teams.

I would have given up a meaningless NFL football game to see this team, with this set of athletes perform any day as a student.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
It sounds like the tickets were first come first serve. If someone had shown up they would have had a 100 or 200 level seat.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Captain

I don't follow your logic. "True fans" were upset about the distribution method. As I understand it from earlier in this thread, vouchers were not needed for this game - you just need to show up with your student ID.

So, "true fans" are those that complain about Red Scare (we had other issues with distribution when I was a student - no plan is perfect), yet they don't show up to a game that doesn't require vouchers/tickets. By the looks of it, they could have had pretty darn good seats as well.

Excuses have already begun for the regular season (non-con sched) as well. Sorry, doesn't hold water. I went to games at every possible chance, because it was a good time. Frankly, with the exception of one year (1984) we had rather mediocre teams.

I would have given up a meaningless NFL football game to see this team, with this set of athletes perform any day as a student.
I didn't know vouchers were not needed so I'm sorry. If anything, the fact that UD game away tickets without vouchers underscores that they believed the game was not as important as the regular season. Your comment that the NFL game was meaningless is just ignorant. It was the definition of meaningful. Can you explain your logic behind this statement? Though I am no longer a student, I certainly would have elected to watch this game rather than attend a beat down of a D-3 team. If Cleveland wins, they move to 500 and their season is still alive. Because they lost, now every game left this season, barring a miraculous winning streak, is meaningless. I have plenty of chances left to see UD play meaningful games.

Once again, wait until the regular season to justifiably attack the students.

Last edited by GetFlyeredup; 11-08-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Old 11-08-2008, 04:12 PM

I notice you have been a member on here since last month, but I assume you have lurked on here in seasons past.

This isn't an isolated thread based on the one regarding ticket vouchers, the opinions by many of us that have seen the complaints on here year after year are also voicing our opinions.

If the U could have filled the entire 200 section behind the hoop for the Capital game, that would have netted 19 bucks a seat. But no, they leave the seats open for a first come, first serve for students. Not to say a game to game ticket buyer would have purchased them, but a yearly season ticket holder would have.

The main point, year after year....The U raises prices on season ticket holders in the form of ticket prices and seat licenses. We don't enjoy paying extra when more bodies paying what we do could have had those seats accounted for.

It doesn't matter who they are playing. Get an ass in each one of those seats, every game, or offer them to a season ticket holder who would purchase them at a prime. I am at every game, even if I don't show up, my seat is bought and paid for.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Brigadier General

flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Apples and Oranges. Regular season games aren't exhibition games, we're comparing apples and oranges. Let's get upset about people not showing to the red/blue game while we're at it.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Just off the Jet

stlcardsfan is on a distinguished road
I feel the need to share my opinion because A) I'm a student and B) I think this thread has gone beyond ridiculous.

I personally know UDFlyer20, and the reason he complained on this forum and I complained directly to Red Scare about tickets was because we have been diehard UD basketball fans for the past 3 years. We have regularly attended all of the other sporting events on campus this year in order to get great basketball seats. When we originally found out that we wouldn't be eligible to get basketball tickets because all of the vouchers had been sold out, we were pretty ****ed off. He started a thread on here, and I wrote a letter to Red Scare. Red Scare eventually resolved this issue, and we both now have our vouchers.

Chris R and others on this forum are complaining about the student attendance at the exhibition game on Thursday night. I too was disappointed in the number of students that showed up given the high interest in basketball vouchers. However, there's no reason to get all upset about it, and I am particularly angry that you seem to be directing your comments to those of us students who had originally complained about not getting vouchers.

UDFlyer20 and I were both at the exhibition game on Thursday night. The students on this forum who were complaining about not getting vouchers were probably the same students who actually attended the game on Thursday. My point is that the students that read and post on this forum are the ones that actually care enough about the team to attend exhibition games. The people you should be upset with are all of the other students who didn't bother showing up to the game.
Mad Props to stlcardsfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (11-10-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I notice you have been a member on here since last month, but I assume you have lurked on here in seasons past.

This isn't an isolated thread based on the one regarding ticket vouchers, the opinions by many of us that have seen the complaints on here year after year are also voicing our opinions.

If the U could have filled the entire 200 section behind the hoop for the Capital game, that would have netted 19 bucks a seat. But no, they leave the seats open for a first come, first serve for students. Not to say a game to game ticket buyer would have purchased them, but a yearly season ticket holder would have.

The main point, year after year....The U raises prices on season ticket holders in the form of ticket prices and seat licenses. We don't enjoy paying extra when more bodies paying what we do could have had those seats accounted for.

It doesn't matter who they are playing. Get an ass in each one of those seats, every game, or offer them to a season ticket holder who would purchase them at a prime. I am at every game, even if I don't show up, my seat is bought and paid for.
I understand what youre saying but thats not what Im arguing for. The thread a few weekss ago was a student who went to purchase his student vouchers and then got there and wasnt able to get them because the allotted amount for his last name first letter were sold out. He found out that they started selling an hours before the promoted time. People were all over him because he didnt show up earlier. People (not students) were also complaining that the students who did not show up to all of the fall sports to get spirit points were not true fans.

My argument is that this shows the spirit point system doesnt work. Maybe peole "show up" to the fall sports but maybe they leave maybe they stay nobody knows. The point is that when it comes time to watch the bball team play these peolpe know that they have good seats and dont have to show up for games that they do not want to see. When the people who would like to go to the games cant because they either didnt get vouchers or didnt go to all the fall sports. I went to maybe 4 at most fall sports last year and sat in the 200 section. I was still at every UD game but 1 that I wasnt able to make. But there were always seats in the 100 section, which had to of been students not showing up because they didnt care about the game or season yet were true fans in the fall showing up to all the fall sports, so I was able to move down. I went to bball games because I enjoy college bball not soccer or volleyball. I just feel that the point system should be based on basketball alone. So maybe its just me but I feel that students are praised and beat down by alumni when the ones being praised shouldnt be. But everyone can have their opinion and mine differs.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
i think you guys are missing a few things here. first of all this is a really silly thread that is starting an argument that will now last the whole season over a **** exhibition game...

anyway let me explain why attendance was low for this game and is sometimes low during the season (for lesser opponents):

1. The Arena is off-campus. Yes its not very far, but basketball is played in WINTER people. The bus system is inadequate. You are often late for the game and/or stuck waiting in the freezing cold fighting your way through a drunken (and sometimes angry) crowd trying to get on a bus back. Sure you could drive, but then you have to find a DD (not easy) or drive drunk, and pay for parking. The only way to fix this issue is to provide buses that continuously go back and forth to the Arena for a few hours to provide flexibility for the students who have other things going on (work, homework, drinking, etc.).

2. The majority of the students who possess these vouchers are uneducated about Dayton basketball. They know who Chris Wright is, that Brian Roberts is gone, and that we consistently underachieve as a program. How can you expect a student body of mostly casual fans (that are half female, no offense ladies) to show up big for an exhibition game when the majority of them has no idea how good this team actually is? To increase the knowledge you have to win, win, and win. We have not done this with the current student body and until we do, you are still going to get blank stares if you walk around the student section asking everyone you see if they know who Juwan Staten is.

3. Basketball will always take a back-seat to drinking. This campus has one priority: partying. Basketball is a great compliment to the drinking tradition here, but as of right now that is all it is, a compliment. Having all day on a Saturday to pre-game for a huge game with a conference foe is when you see the student section at its absolute best. Putting aside your plans for a wild Thursday in order to watch an unproven team play an exhibition game is just not something that a majority of these kids are willing to do. People say basketball is King here, but we all know that partying is the reason this University of Dayton is famous. Until we make a deep tourney run, start putting people in the NBA, and see some marquee names on our schedule, this will never change.

The good news is that I firmly believe this program is on the rise. The student vouchers sell out for the first time ever and here we are before the first game and already there is an outcry about exhibition attendance? Come on people, give this team some time to find their identity and win a few games. Once this happens the students will come around as well.

Last edited by hawkoooo; 11-08-2008 at 07:30 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
addicted2flyers (11-10-2008), SoCal Flyer (11-11-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM

This wasnt the first time they sold out. 2005-06 season they sold out, I wasnt able to get any so I watched from my couch
Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Give me a ****ing break. I can guarantee that 99% of the students do not have the time to spend 6 hours watching 2 meaningless basketball games. If I had to guess, you mother has absolutely nothing better to do with her time than watch both games, which is absolutely fine, but stop criticizing students for not being able to go to every god **** game
LOL

So tell me what you did if anything that night.

If I want to criticize students students for not going to games I will.

Where did I say the students had to go both games?

So I will repeat my self no excuses students get your as!! to the games.

These are the students that think they deserve NCAA tickets before us Flyer Fanantics.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
i think you guys are missing a few things here. first of all this is a really silly thread that is starting an argument that will now last the whole season over a **** exhibition game...

anyway let me explain why attendance was low for this game and is sometimes low during the season (for lesser opponents):

1. The Arena is off-campus. Yes its not very far, but basketball is played in WINTER people. The bus system is inadequate. You are often late for the game and/or stuck waiting in the freezing cold fighting your way through a drunken (and sometimes angry) crowd trying to get on a bus back. Sure you could drive, but then you have to find a DD (not easy) or drive drunk, and pay for parking. The only way to fix this issue is to provide buses that continuously go back and forth to the Arena for a few hours to provide flexibility for the students who have other things going on (work, homework, drinking, etc.).

2. The majority of the students who possess these vouchers are uneducated about Dayton basketball. They know who Chris Wright is, that Brian Roberts is gone, and that we consistently underachieve as a program. How can you expect a student body of mostly casual fans (that are half female, no offense ladies) to show up big for an exhibition game when the majority of them has no idea how good this team actually is? To increase the knowledge you have to win, win, and win. We have not done this with the current student body and until we do, you are still going to get blank stares if you walk around the student section asking everyone you see if they know who Juwan Staten is.

3. Basketball will always take a back-seat to drinking. This campus has one priority: partying. Basketball is a great compliment to the drinking tradition here, but as of right now that is all it is, a compliment. Having all day on a Saturday to pre-game for a huge game with a conference foe is when you see the student section at its absolute best. Putting aside your plans for a wild Thursday in order to watch an unproven team play an exhibition game is just not something that a majority of these kids are willing to do. People say basketball is King here, but we all know that partying is the reason this University of Dayton is famous. Until we make a deep tourney run, start putting people in the NBA, and see some marquee names on our schedule, this will never change.

The good news is that I firmly believe this program is on the rise. The student vouchers sell out for the first time ever and here we are before the first game and already there is an outcry about exhibition attendance? Come on people, give this team some time to find their identity and win a few games. Once this happens the students will come around as well.
1 Yes it is and has been for almost 40 years.

2 Why is that?

3 May be so however in years past students filled the the student section.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:32 PM
2nd Lieutenant

UDFlyer20 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I feel the need to share my opinion because A) I'm a student and B) I think this thread has gone beyond ridiculous.

I personally know UDFlyer20, and the reason he complained on this forum and I complained directly to Red Scare about tickets was because we have been diehard UD basketball fans for the past 3 years. We have regularly attended all of the other sporting events on campus this year in order to get great basketball seats. When we originally found out that we wouldn't be eligible to get basketball tickets because all of the vouchers had been sold out, we were pretty ****ed off. He started a thread on here, and I wrote a letter to Red Scare. Red Scare eventually resolved this issue, and we both now have our vouchers.

Chris R and others on this forum are complaining about the student attendance at the exhibition game on Thursday night. I too was disappointed in the number of students that showed up given the high interest in basketball vouchers. However, there's no reason to get all upset about it, and I am particularly angry that you seem to be directing your comments to those of us students who had originally complained about not getting vouchers.

UDFlyer20 and I were both at the exhibition game on Thursday night. The students on this forum who were complaining about not getting vouchers were probably the same students who actually attended the game on Thursday. My point is that the students that read and post on this forum are the ones that actually care enough about the team to attend exhibition games. The people you should be upset with are all of the other students who didn't bother showing up to the game.
As the original poster of the ticket distribution thread, I felt as though I was being called out by some of the non-student posters on here. Thanks for backing me up stlcardsfan. I agree that the students who take the time to read and post on UDPride are some of the biggest student Flyer Fanatics out there. I don't know about you, but I was pretty pumped all day on Thursday, looking forward to the start of what looks to be a promising season. I am glad I have the opportunity to sit in the student section. I don't take it for granted, hence the reason I was there at 5:30 and stayed the whole time. See everyone there on Tuesday (look for me in the front row again)
Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by John R View Post
LOL

So tell me what you did if anything that night.

If I want to criticize students students for not going to games I will.

Where did I say the students had to go both games?

So I will repeat my self no excuses students get your as!! to the games.

These are the students that think they deserve NCAA tickets before us Flyer Fanantics.
I wrote a paper and studied for a test. I also had a group project meeting at 9:30. I didn't have time to drive 20 minutes to the arena, stay for a 2 hr. game, then sit in traffic for 1/2 hour.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM

I wrote a paper and studied for a test. I also had a group project meeting at 9:30. I didn't have time to drive 20 minutes to the arena, stay for a 2 hr. game, then sit in traffic for 1/2 hour.
Your Excused! Academics before athletics - even John R will agree on that.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Captain

marco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to beholdmarco red eagle is a splendid one to behold
Was this exhibition game "meaningless"?

I watched Chris Wright come out of the tunnel, for the first time this year, right before the game to start warm ups. He was pumped ... he was jacked up and proud to be a UD Flyer and he was pumping up his teamates through his actions.

If you call that meaningless then you don't get it and you will never change your mind.

I believe in giving the Flyers my 100% support since they are doing it for me. Be hot or cold on the Flyers .. just don't be in the middle and say .... "my dog ate my homework" and I couldn't support a bunch a guys who played their heart out in a "meaningless" game.
Mad Props to marco red eagle For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-10-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Hey, there is my freshman son...he's the tall one right in the middle of the first row. He takes after his dad in appearance and UD enthusiasm (he's in the top 200 in Spirit Points) and I guarantee you he will attend EVERY home game
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by GetFlyeredup View Post
I didn't know vouchers were not needed so I'm sorry. If anything, the fact that UD game away tickets without vouchers underscores that they believed the game was not as important as the regular season. Your comment that the NFL game was meaningless is just ignorant. It was the definition of meaningful. Can you explain your logic behind this statement? Though I am no longer a student, I certainly would have elected to watch this game rather than attend a beat down of a D-3 team. If Cleveland wins, they move to 500 and their season is still alive. Because they lost, now every game left this season, barring a miraculous winning streak, is meaningless. I have plenty of chances left to see UD play meaningful games.

Once again, wait until the regular season to justifiably attack the students.
In response to the bolded question - The game was indeed meaningless, because win or lose, the Browns were/are going nowhere this year. They just aren't that good. I should know, the NFL team I follow (Minnesota) is currently tied for first place in their division at 5-4. They are going nowhere (even if the luck out and get to the playoffs due to their weak division).

It's called being a realist. Look at how the Browns play (for me, the Vikings) vs. other teams in the league -- Indy, Pitt, Giants, etc.

OK, I explained my stance - let's agree to disagree.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,752 Times in 794 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, a fellow vikings fan on the UDPride board. Bet we are a very small minority.

Your point is dead on.

In response to the bolded question - The game was indeed meaningless, because win or lose, the Browns were/are going nowhere this year. They just aren't that good. I should know, the NFL team I follow (Minnesota) is currently tied for first place in their division at 5-4. They are going nowhere (even if the luck out and get to the playoffs due to their weak division).

It's called being a realist. Look at how the Browns play (for me, the Vikings) vs. other teams in the league -- Indy, Pitt, Giants, etc.

OK, I explained my stance - let's agree to disagree.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Wow, a fellow vikings fan on the UDPride board. Bet we are a very small minority.

Your point is dead on.
Definitely a minority on this board -- They are on TV a lot more out this way, than they are in Ohio. I still spend my time with the kids instead of watching, though.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:09 PM

BB, while sometimes abrasive you do make good points. I agree this thread stinks and I got a chuckle out of your post.

Exhibitions are not a big deal ... the real games matter (except for the players).
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
When will the excuses end?

And when the student section isn't full for the Coppin State game we'll hear that non-conference games 'are not a big deal'. (Except for the players)

And when it's St. Bonny and the students don't show up, we'll hear that A10 basement dwellers 'are not a big deal'. (Except for the players)

And when it's cold on a Tuesday in January and the students stay home, we'll hear that a case of the sniffles 'is a big deal'. (Especially to their mommies)

If you want to be GIVEN the best seats, you'll have to earn them. And if you don't, the Administration will continue to sell them. (Especially to the die-hard townies)

With excuses like these, can you blame them?

Last edited by rollo; 11-10-2008 at 03:06 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-10-2008), IAFlyer (11-10-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM

binnie bombs is taking yet another sabbatical so he/she will be unable to join us until conference play.

the horse tranquilizers did not work folks.

let me add "shut up!" in bold caps to the list of no-nos on UDPride. "Hey Lady" is another.

5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
DJ '96 (11-10-2008), IAFlyer (11-10-2008), John R (11-10-2008), rollo (11-10-2008), UD Sam (11-10-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Even though he's banned, can I still send my good friend a PM???
Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Captain

Fairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to beholdFairborn Fan is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Thanks Chris! It is immediate corrective actions like this that keeps this site at the high levels that most of us expect. Keep up the great work.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

AllAroundUDFan is on a distinguished road
This is getting old

Let's just see what happens when the games count...

Oh and there was bus transportation. A friend of mine took one of the busses from G-lot and was the only one on that bus.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:45 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AllAroundUDFan View Post
Oh and there was bus transportation. A friend of mine took one of the busses from G-lot and was the only one on that bus.
It showed in the attendance--wow.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Major

allflyernamesaregone
Red Scare and B-Dubs are also teaming up to offer a bus to every game that can be taken from B-Dubs (and Milanos too I guess)...but I believe it open to everyone and not just the students.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Major

BlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of lightBlueMiniS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
And when the student section isn't full for the Coppin State game we'll hear that non-conference games 'are not a big deal'. (Except for the players)

And when it's St. Bonny and the students don't show up, we'll hear that A10 basement dwellers 'are not a big deal'. (Except for the players)

And when it's cold on a Tuesday in January and the students stay home, we'll hear that a case of the sniffles 'is a big deal'. (Especially to their mommies)

If you want to be GIVEN the best seats, you'll have to earn them. And if you don't, the Administration will continue to sell them. (Especially to the die-hard townies)

And when we wonder why we don't pick up big recruits, everyone should remember, no one wants to play for a team that can't even get students to show up. I expect the student section to be filled every single game regardless of weather, opponent, or when in the season the game is.

I have season tickets and drive from Cincinnati to all the home games. The only games I've missed since I started getting tickets were when I was entirely out of the state, or there was a level 3 emergency where it would have been illegal for me to be on the road. There is no excuse not to have the student section filled.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Major General

Phinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BlueMiniS View Post
And when we wonder why we don't pick up big recruits, everyone should remember, no one wants to play for a team that can't even get students to show up. I expect the student section to be filled every single game regardless of weather, opponent, or when in the season the game is.

I have season tickets and drive from Cincinnati to all the home games. The only games I've missed since I started getting tickets were when I was entirely out of the state, or there was a level 3 emergency where it would have been illegal for me to be on the road. There is no excuse not to have the student section filled.
I remember walking to or from the arena a time or two in the freezing cold, but it was worth it to see my Flyers.

Oh, and check the records of the teams ... I attended from 1994-2000. At least the first few years were not very stellar. (Sue me, I got a Masters also!)
Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Major

Originally Posted by BlueMiniS View Post

Now we can't even get recruits because the students don't show up for an exhibition game?

The talk of moving the students out of the lower bowl to increase revenue is laughable. Just imagine the atmosphere in UD Arena if everyone in the lower bowl is sitting on their hands.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Now we can't even get recruits because the students don't show up for an exhibition game?

The talk of moving the students out of the lower bowl to increase revenue is laughable. Just imagine the atmosphere in UD Arena if everyone in the lower bowl is sitting on their hands.
At least they are there instead of a sea of empty seats.

What a great atmosphere looking at all those empty seats in the student section.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM

I could only imgaine 3 minutes to go and 1/4 the lower arena still full. And 1/2 of that 1/4 would be standing in line in the aisles still trying to get out
Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM

I could only imgaine 3 minutes to go and 1/4 the lower arena still full. And 1/2 of that 1/4 would be standing in line in the aisles still trying to get out
And a very few students to be found anywhere.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I get a little tired of people constantly bashing the folks in the lower arena for not making noise. If they all "sat on their hands" and made no noise the arena wouldn't be ranked among the toughest places in the country to play, with one of the best atmospheres in the country, as many commentators have stated. Sure, the students make a lot of noise - when they show up - but so does the rest of the arena, and most of us are sober.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-10-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Major

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I get a little tired of people constantly bashing the folks in the lower arena for not making noise. Sure, the students make a lot of noise - when they show up - but so does the rest of the arena, and most of us are sober.
I was not bashing the lower arena crowd, I just think it is ironic some people want to ban the students up into the rafters for missing an exhibition game.
I would still go, because I love the Flyers.

I get tired of people bashing the students for not showing up to exhibition games. The die-hard students were there, the same select few complaining about the student voucher situation. Just like the die-hard alumni were there.

A majority of the upper bowl was deserted. Why is this not an issue?

You mean the non-diehard alumni didn't show up to an exhibition game?
Only 8150 people showed up to the game? The proportion of students to alumni is not the same. The percentage of die-hard students is probably less than that of the alumni, but they should not be harassed for not showing up to a Wofford exhibition game.

I disagree about the rest of the arena making a lot of noise.
The Pittsburgh game last year was loud...but why can't the arena be like that when we are not playing a #6 ranked team in the nation???

I don't see why you bring up the students being not sober?
Is this your opinion? Why is it relevant? I have been going to the games in the Student section for 5 years and I don't recall ever being next to someone who wasn't sober.

Last edited by LebronJames; 11-10-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I get a little tired of people constantly bashing the folks in the lower arena for not making noise. If they all "sat on their hands" and made no noise the arena wouldn't be ranked among the toughest places in the country to play, with one of the best atmospheres in the country, as many commentators have stated. Sure, the students make a lot of noise - when they show up - but so does the rest of the arena, and most of us are sober.
Althought a majority of the fans in the lower arena are older and there to watch and not really yell/scream (however you want to say being loud is cheering) i have seen my fair share of people yelling at the refs and getting more rowdy then the students
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Then why don't we wait until this happens, since we all seem in agreement that it becomes a problem once the non-conference games begin (I have yet to see where anybody has stated otherwise, at least)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Colonel

Also remember that although all of the vouchers sold out, the demolition of Stewart St. bridge will deter students from going to the non-conference cupcake games. I am sure that John R is anxiously awaiting the first game so he can get on here after the game and rip on the students even more.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Maybe he can go back to school and take a CMM module that is 3 hours long on game day or classic american film from 555-830
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Yes I will

Also remember that although all of the vouchers sold out, the demolition of Stewart St. bridge will deter students from going to the non-conference cupcake games. I am sure that John R is anxiously awaiting the first game so he can get on here after the game and rip on the students even more.
If thats the case I'm sure there will alot more then me doing that.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 AM

God help us.

Maybe he can go back to school and take a CMM module that is 3 hours long on game day or classic american film from 555-830
No we will leave that up to you since you are the future of this great nation.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we need to imagine too hard. It would sound a lot like Mercer, Richmond, and Copping State will sound. Unless I'm pleasantly surprised, which would be wonderful.