User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Archie and Big Steve....Quite a match..

I've read so much on the board this weekend about UD being a stepping stone, a path to greener pastures, a destination to bigger and better jobs.....Great points made by so so many but I can't get out of my head that THAT new contract signed by Archie this past weekend easily could have been a 5-6 year extension for 3/3.25 mm a year with our own UD flyers...YES, OUR UD TEAM..

Big Steve, albeit for such a short time, was one of the most influential players/students in UD history and Archie Miller, probably one of the top 2 coaches in UD history, were a match made in heaven. Archie took a young man with great character and provided him a path for success. Big Steve fueled up, never looked back, and accepted that challenge and was on his way to a fantastic life doing what he loved to do. Big Steve made it freakin' "cool" to be an almost 7' with a skill set and accept a scolly' to the UNIVERSITY OF DAYTON!!He simply said you can be a big man, you can work hard, and you can have success right here at UD....

Archie was destined to coach this young man, provide the blueprint, and Steve was destined to be under Archie's wing. Yes, it could have easily been UD playing this past weekend. Not easily, but not out of the realm either, it could have been your/my UD Flyers playing next weekend in Phoenix. I think we all know what THAT could have meant going forward for replacing the mantra of "the little engine that could". A great university, a great BB program, and a team that lined up with great ammunition going forward and a bigger reputation going forward.......Are we still just the "high" mid-major at that point? Are we still just "that" team that never gets to dance with the gal' we brung to the dance? Are we now THAT much closer to a team like X or Gonzoga where a coach says "I like it right here".Yes, I believe Archie meant every word about bringing championships to UD.

I don't need to go on and on about the skill-set of Steve and the skill-set of Archie because you guys have it nailed but we talk about Butler and we talk about X and Gonz. but destiny , unfortunately, was cut short and while it would been so obtuse for me to minimize the life of Big Steve and blame that on where we are now(and I would never do that) because Big Steve had far greater plans in his life than playing basketball , I'm simply pointing out that these two guys love/loved life, loved basketball, and loved each other. We lost a life of a great young man and, ironically, maybe a little life was also sucked out of Archie and the university..

A script was written, we had the two lead characters, and a life was lost....Who knows what could have been...I'm simply pointing out just how close UD was to maybe being that destination job......
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (03-27-2017), San Diego Flyer (03-27-2017), upperarlingtonflyer (03-27-2017)
Advertisement