User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,630 Times in 766 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Would you rather...

1. Lose on Saturday coming off a win on Friday - this should get us an 8 pr 9 seed, thus staring right down at the #1 seed on the first weekend. Not ideal.

2. Lose on Friday - this should drop us to a 10 seed after two losses in a row. Not a way to go into the tourney. But I think we can agree that a 10 seed is preferred to an 8 or 9.

Obviously, we want to win it all. And if we lose early it would be two in a row and not exactly the way you want to go into the So please spare the "let's win it all" as this is just a hypothetical.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2017, 10:10 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
1. Lose on Saturday coming off a win on Friday - this should get us an 8 pr 9 seed, thus staring right down at the #1 seed on the first weekend. Not ideal.

2. Lose on Friday - this should drop us to a 10 seed after two losses in a row. Not a way to go into the tourney. But I think we can agree that a 10 seed is preferred to an 8 or 9.

Obviously, we want to win it all. And if we lose early it would be two in a row and not exactly the way you want to go into the So please spare the "let's win it all" as this is just a hypothetical.
I'll take my chances with an 8 or 9 seed over losing right out of the gate and taking a chance of a 10 seed with knowing the committees could somehow turn into a play-in game.

This team put themselves in this situation with their slow starts too many times this season so if their bed is playing Kansas in the 2nd round, let it 'em sleep in it. We want to go far in the tournament, we're going to have to have upsets and this senior laden team, who has decided not to show up for some games this year, well, if they're so good they can pick and choose when to show up, then do it against a #1 seed. They earned it.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-05-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-07-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I'll take my chances with an 8 or 9 seed over losing right out of the gate and taking a chance of a 10 seed with knowing the committees could somehow turn into a play-in game.
Play-in game/First Four game is no longer possible for UD. The year after they put UD in it they announced that they would move/reseed so UD would not have another home game again.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Brigadier General

CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Play-in game/First Four game is no longer possible for UD. The year after they put UD in it they announced that they would move/reseed so UD would not have another home game again.
Let's assume that we will NOT be in the play in game at all for this hypothetical
Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Wanna be the man you gotta beat the man. I am not concerned with potential NCAA matchups. I want these guys to carry momentum. Even if we have to check a 1 seed early in the NCAA (gotta get to that point first)...1 seeds can be beaten and UD can beat anyone when they have the gears spinning.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-06-2017), FLYER5 (03-08-2017), rollo (03-06-2017), Sea Bass (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute

Simply can't limp into the NCAA tourney with bad fundamentals and having self-doubt so give me a W on friday and I'll take my chances going forward....I'll not jump off the ledge like some of the folks on this site after last Saturday as GW was playing great ball coming into the game, this was "their" Super Bowl game on their senior night, GW could have easily been a 12-13 win A10 team this year, UD winning 9 straight games so a L was inevitable, and sometimes, just sometimes, a team has your number (See BYU "owning" Gonzaga last 3 meetings in Spokane). Still, last Saturday was a great teaching moment for Archie going forward on basic fundamentals.He'll have their full attention starting just minutes after the game ended Saturday..

Last edited by steve; 03-06-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
I choose option A of going 1-1 in the A10 tourney as opposed to 0-1. I ignored the seeding part since none of us have a clue where the committee currently has a us seeded.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Let just win the **** thing and get a nice seed
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Win the A10 tourney and get a 6 seed.

I would prefer not to get an 8-9 game, but that looks like where we're trending if we have a moderate showing in Pittsburgh.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-06-2017), m21eagle45 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
This is the best team I have seen in a Flyer's uniform since I became a fan in the early 90s. They know what they need to do and it is their time. Just enjoy watching it and quit all of the second guessing.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:14 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,173 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard people mention this, but I've never seen official word of this. Can you provide proof of this?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-06-2017), Smitty10 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I go with win all 3 games and be a 6 seed. Thats what I would rather have happen.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-06-2017), UDGutter2 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
At the Risk of Sounding Too Direct

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAMES! You cannot win the NCAA tournament without winning all of your games. What difference does it make if you play the #1 seed sooner or later? Go Flyers!
Win the A-10 tourney and the NCAA tourney irrespective of your seed or opponent.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I go with win all 3 games and be a 6 seed. Thats what I would rather have happen.
And win 'em by 20 points each, just to leave no doubt.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
I've heard people mention this, but I've never seen official word of this. Can you provide proof of this?
I found some links for you. Basically they say that the last 4 at large teams voted in were not scrubbed/compared to the teams above them in 2015. The change is that the last 4 voted in can now be scrubbed/compared to the at large teams just above them which gives the committee the chance to switch them if they want to. Nowhere do they say "Dayton can't play in the First Four" but it's pretty obvious that was the intention of the change even though they basically try to deny that. I remember several commentators (Goodman, Katz, Gottleib, etc) basically saying that the procedure was changed to give the committee the flexibility to swap Dayton or any other team if they wanted to.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...q1dbcygud2w2he

http://abc7.com/sports/ncaa-tweaks-f...rocess/866437/

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/bl...in-dayton.html
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017), udstevied_D87 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
My son and I had a blast in Memphis (as did all Flyer fans who went) when we made the Elite 8! Instead of worrying about what seed the committee gives us I am more concerned where we play as opposed to who we play! I would go to Indianapolis but not Tulsa!

We all agree that the Flyers could make a run again this year if they play the type of basketball that they are capable of so lets hope we get to play fairly close to home so we can show the whole world again how Flyer fans travel and back their team! Flyer fans took over the city of Memphis and if it wasn't for a hot shooting Scottie Wilbekin we would have gone to the Final Four!

Go Flyers and please NCAAT selection committee let us play close to home for a change instead of always sending us out West like in the past! P5 teams ALWAYS get to play close to home! NOT FAIR!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:14 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,173 Times in 2,321 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I found some links for you. Basically they say that the last 4 at large teams voted in were not scrubbed/compared to the teams above them in 2015. The change is that the last 4 voted in can now be scrubbed/compared to the at large teams just above them which gives the committee the chance to switch them if they want to. Nowhere do they say "Dayton can't play in the First Four" but it's pretty obvious that was the intention of the change even though they basically try to deny that. I remember several commentators (Goodman, Katz, Gottleib, etc) basically saying that the procedure was changed to give the committee the flexibility to swap Dayton or any other team if they wanted to.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...q1dbcygud2w2he

http://abc7.com/sports/ncaa-tweaks-f...rocess/866437/

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/bl...in-dayton.html
There is no way if this process was in place during the year Dayton was in the First Four, would Dayton have been scrubbed out of the First Four. They were the last ranked team out of the at-larges. We couldn't even be ranked above 3 teams (the other First Four participants), how can we have been ranked better than 7 teams (including the other 4 worst at-larges)?

So you need to back off the "Dayton can't play in the First Four" comments, because that just isn't true.

The committee ranks teams in groups of 4 (or so) through the selection period. Before the reports you mention, the last 4 teams accepted into the field, were placed into the First Four. Now, they are ranked accordingly to the teams around them, and now the last 4 teams in their at-large ranking, will go to Dayton.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
We better win Friday. If not im nervous. Look no further then the 2015 Selection Show. We were safely in as an 8 or a 9, at worst a 10. This thing isn't locked yet. The only way we lock before Sunday is making the Finals on Sunday. We are a lock at that point.

We have 3 questionable losses on our resumes. Our best non-con win was @Alabama. We do not have the non-con win that we usually have to hang our hat on.

An Atlantic 10 school does not get the special consideration a P5/Big East school gets. Every talking head in the country is pounding the pavement for Syracuse. Syracuse sucks. I believe they have nothing of note away from home floor and they just plain suck. Swap the name on the jersey with Rhode Island and you'd be hearing screams for Rhody to get in and Syracuse would be an afterthought.

Temper the expectations a bit. If we dont win, we could be in for a heartbreak. Very slim but it CAN still happen.

That said, i still think we win the A-10 Tournament and get a #6 seed. And Richmond and SBU could do us a big favor by knocking VCU and URI off for us

Go Flyers!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
There is no way if this process was in place during the year Dayton was in the First Four, would Dayton have been scrubbed out of the First Four. They were the last ranked team out of the at-larges. We couldn't even be ranked above 3 teams (the other First Four participants), how can we have been ranked better than 7 teams (including the other 4 worst at-larges)?

So you need to back off the "Dayton can't play in the First Four" comments, because that just isn't true.

The committee ranks teams in groups of 4 (or so) through the selection period. Before the reports you mention, the last 4 teams accepted into the field, were placed into the First Four. Now, they are ranked accordingly to the teams around them, and now the last 4 teams in their at-large ranking, will go to Dayton.
I will concede as I thought I did in my reply post to you that after reading the articles that there is no "Dayton can't play in the First Four" rule.

But I truly believe that after the 2015 backlash of UD playing at home the committee would do anything within their power to not allow that to happen again. The procedural change gives them that flexibility and you can't tell me that the people sitting in that room won't manipulate their opinions/votes/seeding to ensure 2015 never repeats itself. They will either move UD to a seed line not in the First Four or just completely leave UD out of the tournament. It's not like they have to actually tell the truth about what is said and discussed in that room.

Last edited by C-time; 03-06-2017 at 03:01 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-06-2017), FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
We better win Friday. If not im nervous. Look no further then the 2015 Selection Show. We were safely in as an 8 or a 9, at worst a 10. This thing isn't locked yet. The only way we lock before Sunday is making the Finals on Sunday. We are a lock at that point.

We have 3 questionable losses on our resumes. Our best non-con win was @Alabama. We do not have the non-con win that we usually have to hang our hat on.

An Atlantic 10 school does not get the special consideration a P5/Big East school gets. Every talking head in the country is pounding the pavement for Syracuse. Syracuse sucks. I believe they have nothing of note away from home floor and they just plain suck. Swap the name on the jersey with Rhode Island and you'd be hearing screams for Rhody to get in and Syracuse would be an afterthought.

Temper the expectations a bit. If we dont win, we could be in for a heartbreak. Very slim but it CAN still happen.

That said, i still think we win the A-10 Tournament and get a #6 seed. And Richmond and SBU could do us a big favor by knocking VCU and URI off for us

Go Flyers!
I agree with you, but the bubble is very soft this year. Xavier? Syracuse? Illinois State? We are in. And, if the links above are correct, we get the bye.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAMES! You cannot win the NCAA tournament without winning all of your games. What difference does it make if you play the #1 seed sooner or later? Go Flyers!
Win the A-10 tourney and the NCAA tourney irrespective of your seed or opponent.
Well, actually the answer to your question is that the longer you get to go without playing a #1 seed, maybe an 8,9 or 4,5 seed will play their best game of the season and knock of that #1 seed and give you the easier path.

I've resigned myself that this team is going to need the easiest path possible to get to a sweet 16 and beyond. We are a poor rebounding team against talented bigs and we are certain to run into that sooner rather than later. However, because I don't think we're going to get real far, I'd rather play the best early rather than be eliminated prior. I might not think they are going to go far, but I'm not 100 percent certain of it. So bring on Nova or Kansas.
m21eagle45 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future

Go Flyers!
I don't think it's fair to compare this year to 2015. As mentioned above the bubble is weaker than it ever has been. Also, I believe we only had 1, maybe 2, top-50 RPI wins that year. We are currently 4-2 in that category and that record shouldn't change.

Most importantly, in 2015 Dance Card had us just below the cut line even though all the experts had us safely in. This year they have us at 22.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:44 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Last year, besides Syracuse being in and I believe St Marys being left out, what were the other Dance Card misses?
Old 03-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
Go Flyers and please NCAAT selection committee let us play close to home for a change instead of always sending us out West like in the past! P5 teams ALWAYS get to play close to home! NOT FAIR!
Flyer fans would have a hard time complaining about the geographic locations we've had the last 3 years - Buffalo, Memphis, Dayton, Columbus, St. Louis and had we not sh!t to bed against Cuse, we'd have stomped Middle Tennessee and gone on to Chicago.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
General

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Flyer fans would have a hard time complaining about the geographic locations we've had the last 3 years - Buffalo, Memphis, Dayton, Columbus, St. Louis and had we not sh!t to bed against Cuse, we'd have stomped Middle Tennessee and gone on to Chicago.
And to add to that, I'm sure the NCAA is well aware that the closer Dayton plays to home, the greater chance of filling that arena is.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Lieutenant General

And to add to that, I'm sure the NCAA is well aware that the closer Dayton plays to home, the greater chance of filling that arena is.
Mick Cronin agrees with this.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeF (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute

Go Flyers!
I hate to burst your bubble and push you back from the ledge, but we're playing for seeding right now, not getting IN/OUT of the tournament.

And if you want a 6-seed, then Richmond and SBU knocking off VCU and RI doesn't help. If you want a 6-seed, you need to knock off RI and VCU en route and pick up a couple more quality wins. SBU and Richmond don't offer that.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017), LIBob (03-06-2017), steve (03-06-2017), UDGutter2 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to burst your bubble and push you back from the ledge, but we're playing for seeding right now, not getting IN/OUT of the tournament.

And if you want a 6-seed, then Richmond and SBU knocking off VCU and RI doesn't help. If you want a 6-seed, you need to knock off RI and VCU en route and pick up a couple more quality wins. SBU and Richmond don't offer that.
I don't think it matters much what path you take - just win the A10 tourney.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Brigadier General

Wait a minute, so we should win the A10 Tourney to maximize our seed?

What great analysis.

So much for the hypothetical.
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Wait a minute, so we should win the A10 Tourney to maximize our seed?

What great analysis.

So much for the hypothetical.
Smart ass.

Win the tourney get the 6 - doesn't matter who you beat along the way.

Let's play would you rather your wife run off with the pool boy when your are 40 or a doctor when you are 60?
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I don't think it matters much what path you take - just win the A10 tourney.
Not if you're trying to maximize your NCAA tourney resume and your corresponding seed. Either you've missed the point or not applying the appropriate math and logic.

If we win the A10 tourney by beating LaSalle, SBU and then Richmond compared to Davidson, Rhode Island and then VCU, I think our resume and tournament seed are several spots better with the latter, probably an entire seed line - from 8 to 7 or 7 to 6.

LaSalle - 124
SBU - 90
Richmond - 85

Davidson - 107
Rhody - 42
VCU - 23

Two more quality wins (Top 50) vs none. Pretty simple.

Last edited by SLUFLYER; 03-06-2017 at 04:21 PM..
Old 03-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Smart ass.

Win the tourney get the 6 - doesn't matter who you beat along the way.

Let's play would you rather your wife run off with the pool boy when your are 40 or a doctor when you are 60?
Simply put, you're wrong. See my previous post.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM
General

Not if you're trying to maximize your NCAA tourney resume and your corresponding seed. Either you've missed the point or not applying the appropriate math and logic.

If we win the A10 tourney by beating LaSalle, SBU and then Richmond compared to Davidson, Rhode Island and then VCU, I think our resume and tournament seed are several spots better with the latter, probably an entire seed line - from 8 to 7 or 7 to 6.

LaSalle - 124
SBU - 90
Richmond - 85

Davidson - 107
Rhody - 42
VCU - 23

There's nothing we can do to make that happen. The only thing the Flyers can control is winning or losing. They can't pick who they play. So yeah, I'd rather beat the stronger teams. But I'd rather beat the weaker teams than lose to stronger.
po

Edited: I didn't get the full context to your post. Now that I've read the posts you're referring to, I see you point.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Brigadier General

The whole point of this thread was to see if we were better as a 10 losing two in a row or as an 8/9 by going 1-1 or 2-1 in Pittsburgh.

It was a discussion that I got into with some fellow Flyer fans.

We all pretty much agreed that we should win it all, though.
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:40 PM
General

The whole point of this thread was to see if we were better as a 10 losing two in a row or as an 8/9 by going 1-1 or 2-1 in Pittsburgh.

If we do have to play against a #1 seed, aren't we better off doing it after they come off against a beatdown of a #16 then waiting for them to take down an 8/9 and then a 4/5? I think the 2nd round could be considered the biggest trap game for a #1 if such a thing exists in the tourney.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Brigadier General

If we do have to play against a #1 seed, aren't we better off doing it after they come off against a beatdown of a #16 then waiting for them to take down an 8/9 and then a 4/5? I think the 2nd round could be considered the biggest trap game for a #1 if such a thing exists in the tourney.
But if we are a 10, you may not have to face a 1 at all if they get upset. But they will not get upset vs the 16.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I would love to play Gonzaga in a 1/8 game. They would be tough, but that game would be winnable. Plus Arizona played them, so Archie could get some Intel.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:45 PM
General of the Air Force

LaSalle - 124
SBU - 90
Richmond - 85

Davidson - 107
Rhody - 42
VCU - 23

Simply put, you're wrong. See my previous post.
I don't know what I was thinking. I forgot you had the magic formula. You know exactly how the committee will judge each and every result even though they have proven to be inconsistent and that they have made comments that the conference tourneys are not necessarily viewed the same as the regular season. So simply put, I don't think anyone can be certain but I think being a tourney champion carries a little extra, regardless of who you beat to get there.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Ok I'll play the game the right way. I'd rather go 1-1 or 2-1 in Pittsburgh. Losing this Friday after losing Saturday would mess with the psyche of the team and the entire Flyer nation. More likely to go 1 and done.
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:51 PM
General

But if we are a 10, you may not have to face a 1 at all if they get upset. But they will not get upset vs the 16.
I realize that. Even posted it earlier. But personally, there's nothing more exciting than thinking about the Flyers taking on one of the 4 best teams in the country and if we do(with the assumption we will have to meet them at some point), it's best to do it in the 2nd game
Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I realize that. Even posted it earlier. But personally, there's nothing more exciting than thinking about the Flyers taking on one of the 4 best teams in the country and if we do(with the assumption we will have to meet them at some point), it's best to do it in the 2nd game
I would much rather make the Elite Eight and play a #1 seed there. If you play a #1 seed in the second game you probably won't even make the Sweet Sixteen.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-06-2017), m21eagle45 (03-07-2017), UACFlyer (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Agree...

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I would much rather make the Elite Eight and play a #1 seed there. If you play a #1 seed in the second game you probably won't even make the Sweet Sixteen.
Getting to the Final Four and/or winning the national championship is a goal. But many of the consistently best teams in the country have never done that.

Realistically, winning the first two games is the goal. Ted Kissell often said that the Flyers' goal was having a team that is competing for the national championship. By the time it's down to a final 16 teams out of ~ 350 each of those teams can say that they are, indeed, among a select group competing for the national championship.

Making it to the second weekend of the Dance....the Sweet 16,...means an order of magnitude more press coverage...an entire week in the news. A few years ago we tasted how sweet that really is. Although we've made the Dance two years after that Elite 8 run, three years in a row, we have not made it to the second week of the tournament since.

It's not easy. But, in my mind winning the first two games is what it's all about. After that it's all gravy.

Go Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
312to937 (03-06-2017), CT Flyer (03-06-2017), FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
It's about matchups more than seeds for this year's team. We probably can play a better game with Nova than Gonzaga. That big kid on the Zags is a problem for us, as are the two big kids on Purdue. I think WVU would be a good matchup for us, Oregon would not be. Let's face it, most of the really good teams would be a tough hurdle for us given our lack of size.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Brigadier General

7 seed

I think a 7 seed is our ceiling

Let's be the 2017 version of:

2016 Wisconsin
2015 Michigan State
2014 UConn

All seven seeds who advanced at least to Sweet 16.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (03-07-2017), FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
Agree with priceg - 8/9 is great if gonzaga is the 1 seed. I wouldnt hate kansas either, as they rely on a 6 foot guard and Dayton's biggest strength is K davis and Cooke perimeter defense.

I want no part of a 7 seed if Oregon or louisville are 2 seeds

Haha but its extremely possible we are overthinking this. The best thing would be playing a team having an off shooting night
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
The one factor that always always needs to be considered is that teams from the same conference don't play one another in the first and second round. I don't think the A10 championship will have much bearing on the tournament for the Flyer seed. I think we're an 8 seed unless we lose in the quarterfinals.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
The one factor that always always needs to be considered is that teams from the same conference don't play one another in the first and second round. I don't think the A10 championship will have much bearing on the tournament for the Flyer seed. I think we're an 8 seed unless we lose in the quarterfinals.
So if we do win out, and the path is Davidson, Rhody, VCU. That means we add two top-50 wins to get to 6, have an RPI in the teens and an SOS in the 50s. If you're right about that eight seed, how the hell did we get a 7 last year?
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 PM
General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
So if we do win out, and the path is Davidson, Rhody, VCU. That means we add two top-50 wins to get to 6, have an RPI in the teens and an SOS in the 50s. If you're right about that eight seed, how the hell did we get a 7 last year?
Personally, I don't see us jumping 2 seeds. Reason being, the Flyers are already the highest rated team in the A10. Winning the tournament will just confirm that.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
I think we're a 7 (and possibly a 6, if the right dominoes fall) if we bring a big trophy back from Pittsburgh. And a loss on Friday could take us down to a 9. But right now, I think we're on the 7/8 cut line. The best advice I can give is the old quote from Al Davis: Just win, baby!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I don't see us jumping 2 seeds. Reason being, the Flyers are already the highest rated team in the A10. Winning the tournament will just confirm that.
We won't be jumping at all. The so called experts will not be at the Committee table this weekend. The Committee will somewhat know our status by Saturday afternoon. So the only factor will be if we play Sunday, and of course the "Mick Cronin Effect".
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
You have to remember, most teams around us and on the Bubble will lose in their conference tournament this week. If we win all our games and they lose, there is chance to move up. There are only 32 teams that enter the NCAA tournament with a win. Teams around us will lose, and some will have bad losses.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:00 PM
General

You have to remember, most teams around us and on the Bubble will lose in their conference tournament this week. If we win all our games and they lose, there is chance to move up. There are only 32 teams that enter the NCAA tournament with a win. Teams around us will lose, and some will have bad losses.
Oh, I believe we can move up one seed, I just don't see 2. I think it's kind of apparent that beating any of the other 13 A10 teams does not bring much respect this season.
rollo (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,109 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Wanna be the man you gotta beat the man. I am not concerned with potential NCAA matchups. I want these guys to carry momentum. Even if we have to check a 1 seed early in the NCAA (gotta get to that point first)...1 seeds can be beaten and UD can beat anyone when they have the gears spinning.
Completely agree- there are no dominate teams this year - i firmly believe that when UD is in the zone- they can beat anybody. They could run the Dance in my opinion. So bring it on and lets get going.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Major General

Oh, I believe we can move up one seed, I just don't see 2. I think it's kind of apparent that beating any of the other 13 A10 teams does not bring much respect this season.
We would get respect for beating URI and VCU on back to back days to win the tournament.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
General

We would get respect for beating URI and VCU on back to back days to win the tournament.
Absolutely. Enough to jump one seed.
SLUFLYER (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Major General

Absolutely. Enough to jump one seed.
I guess it's who you believe then. While Lunardi has us as an 8, USA Today who has been more accurate than Lunardi, has us as a 7 right now. Bracket Matrix has us as a 7. So I would believe 6 is still a possibility.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM
General

I guess it's who you believe then. While Lunardi has us as an 8, USA Today who has been more accurate than Lunardi, has us as a 7 right now. Bracket Matrix has us as a 7. So I would believe 6 is still a possibility.
I'm not sure where we're seeded now. All I'm saying is where ever that is, a sweep in A10 probably only moves us up 1 at most. So 8 to 7 or 7 to 6.

I will say this though, with the AP having us at 30 and the coaches poll having us tied at 40, I'm guessing we're more likely 8-9 then 7-8.

Last edited by Smitty10; 03-07-2017 at 02:47 PM..
CT Flyer (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 02:53 PM
General

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Completely agree- there are no dominate teams this year - i firmly believe that when UD is in the zone- they can beat anybody. They could run the Dance in my opinion. So bring it on and lets get going.
Posted via Mobile Device
you need a better word than "zone" when saying "when UD is in the zone".
rollo (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I still think that the NCAA committee will try to pair teams for TV ratings. There would be little interest in Dayton playing Vermont or the University of the Pacific or Jacksonville State but much interest in a Dayton versus Arizona where the two Miller brothers will play each other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW...

Old 03-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Very pertinent post, Rollo. Thank you. A billion here and a billion there and eventually it adds up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
My analysis of Dayton, some may say through Flyer Red glasses:

Had Pollard started at beginning of season, and Cunningham not gotten hurt in the Alabama game, they don't lose to St. Marys or Nebraska, but probably do lose to UCLA before playing VT or aTm (don't remember which) but I think the Flyers win. So, 1 loss instead of 2, and a much better RPI and SOS. I don't believe they lose to Northwestern, but probably still get at least 2 league losses. So, 27-3 instead of 24-6. RPI would then be at or near single digits, and a top 15 ranking as well.

You say, "so what? that's not what happened, their record is their record." But that is the team that is playing now, and I don't believe the committee will punish a 1 seed with having to face the above mentioned team in the second round. I do not believe there are any worries about being an 8 or 9 seed. Six seed if they get to the finals, 7 if they lose first round.

Last edited by UDGutter2; 03-07-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

bhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to beholdbhflyer5 is a splendid one to behold
I agree- Ceiling is a 7 seed. You gotta look at who else is at the 5/6/7/8 line and see who they play coming up and ask how we're going to leapfrog any of the ones ahead of us. I certainly don't see us as a 6 seed. If we win the A10 Tourny, I expect a 7 seed. If not, after the GW loss, I would say an 8/9 seed with how the committee has placed Dayton since the 4 seed Dayton team way back when.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
My analysis of Dayton, some may say through Flyer Red glasses:

Had Pollard started at beginning of season, and Cunningham not gotten hurt in the Alabama game, they don't lose to St. Marys or Nebraska, but probably do lose to UCLA before playing VT or aTm (don't remember which) but I think the Flyers win. So, 1 loss instead of 2, and a much better RPI and SOS. I don't believe they lose to Northwestern, but probably still get at least 2 league losses. So, 27-3 instead of 24-6. RPI would then be at or near single digits, and a top 15 ranking as well.

You say, "so what? that's not what happened, their record is their record." But that is the team that is playing now, and I don't believe the committee will punish a 1 seed with having to face the above mentioned team in the second round. I do not believe there are any worries about being an 8 or 9 seed. Six seed if they get to the finals, 7 if they lose first round.
I agree with your analysis of what would have happened had Josh and Kendall not missed games. I don't think that is the team that is playing now. Josh is not the same player he was before the injury. Although X and Mikesell may be better because of the extra playing time, I don't think that makes up for what Josh is now versus the beginning of the season.
UDGutter2 (03-07-2017)