User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 10:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Maui Pairings

Last year they were announced approximately two weeks from today. So, any guesses? Is there any chance we'd be paired with our sister school in the first round? It'd make for something to blabber on about in the broadcast. I'd like it because it moves us on to 2nd round easily enough. I don't like it for obvious reasons. The last two times we were not paired with them.

My prediction:

Kansas v Chaminade
Mich St. v Georgia
UCLA v Dayton
BYU v Va Tech
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (07-03-2019)
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I would swap Michigan St and Kansas. Otherwise I came up with the same matchups.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
If based on last year's end of season kenpom ranks, it would be

Mich St
Kansas
VA Tech
Dayton
BYU
UCLA
UGA
D2 Chaminade

So 4 Dayton vs. 5 BYU.

MSU is most people's preseason #1. Kansas will probably return to top ten form. VT will probably drop significantly from their top 15 finish last year after losing Buzz Williams. BYU was usually at least a top 75-100 type team under Dave Rose but he retired after last year.

UCLA and UGA were pretty bad last year. One would be reasonable to assume that they'll struggle early with relatively new rosters and coaches (Crean second year, Cronin first). Hopefully both can get their teams playing better later in the year to boost somebody's SOS later.

Sadly, it appears that the only (other) ranked teams in this field will be MSU and Kansas and they will be the only other quad 1 chances as well. VT, BYU, UCLA, and UGA should all be quad 2.

I predict Dayton vs. BYU, on the Michigan State side of the bracket. Kansas, UGA, UCLA, and VA Tech on the other side.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (07-03-2019), hawkoooo (07-03-2019), jack72 (07-03-2019), ud2 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Yeah. I think we will see BYU in the first round. Winner gets Kansas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
If Brigham Young is Dayton's pairing for the Maui classic then here is a URL speaking about their roster for next year.

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-b...0-jake-toolson

But, I am a little peeved by Brigham Young's actions mentioned in this article. This article mentions that the signed two players, 6'10" Shengzhe Li from California and 6'9" Bernardo Da Silva from Utah. They released them from their letter of intent in order to sign two other guys. Shengzhe Li ended up committing to Oregon State and Bernardo Da Silva ended up committing to Hawaii. That would be a little disturbing if you were the guy who was counting on the scholarship only to find out that the scholly was ripped away. Also, the article talks about Brigham Young having a one scholarship NCAA suspension. They asked a player to drop his scholarship and pay his own way to school last year and they are going to ask that same player to pay his own way this year in order to open up a scholarship for another player. This all seems like a disturbing trend by a university. I don't like the sound of these types of moves.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Scholarship rules???

Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
If Brigham Young is Dayton's pairing for the Maui classic then here is a URL speaking about their roster for next year.

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-b...0-jake-toolson

But, I am a little peeved by Brigham Young's actions mentioned in this article. This article mentions that the signed two players, 6'10" Shengzhe Li from California and 6'9" Bernardo Da Silva from Utah. They released them from their letter of intent in order to sign two other guys. Shengzhe Li ended up committing to Oregon State and Bernardo Da Silva ended up committing to Hawaii. That would be a little disturbing if you were the guy who was counting on the scholarship only to find out that the scholly was ripped away. Also, the article talks about Brigham Young having a one scholarship NCAA suspension. They asked a player to drop his scholarship and pay his own way to school last year and they are going to ask that same player to pay his own way this year in order to open up a scholarship for another player. This all seems like a disturbing trend by a university. I don't like the sound of these types of moves.
I thought the rule was (or used to be at least) that if you (or someone representing your school) ever recruited, or tried to recruit a player, that player could not be used as a walk-on with a full complement of scholarship players in addition. The intent was obviously to prevent a school from loading up with 15+ players of recruitable talent levels. Is that no longer the case? is described above a loophole to get around the scholarship limit?
Old 07-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheg View Post
BYU was usually at least a top 75-100 type team under Dave Rose but he retired after last year.
14 years at BYU for Rose, 8 NCAAT, 5 NIT, not too shabby. His replacement may not do better than that, has to be tough to get an at-large bid out of the WCC, Gonzaga seemingly always gets the auto bid.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post

This article mentions that the signed two players, 6'10" Shengzhe Li from California and 6'9" Bernardo Da Silva from Utah. They released them from their letter of intent in order to sign two other guys. Shengzhe Li ended up committing to Oregon State and Bernardo Da Silva ended up committing to Hawaii.
This could just be the writer taking creative license to describe the circumstances more favorably. The players could have asked for their release after the coach they thought they'd be playing for retired.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I thought the rule was (or used to be at least) that if you (or someone representing your school) ever recruited, or tried to recruit a player, that player could not be used as a walk-on with a full complement of scholarship players in addition. The intent was obviously to prevent a school from loading up with 15+ players of recruitable talent levels. Is that no longer the case? is described above a loophole to get around the scholarship limit?
That is incorrect. Anyone, as long as they are paying their own way, could go to a school and count as a walk-on. I believe the rule you are thinking of is the rule that prevents giving a recruitable athlete an academic scholarship or other scholarships so they don't count against your 13 scholarships.That is not allowed.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-03-2019), MrFlyerFanatic (07-05-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
That is incorrect. Anyone, as long as they are paying their own way, could go to a school and count as a walk-on. I believe the rule you are thinking of is the rule that prevents giving a recruitable athlete an academic scholarship or other scholarships so they don't count against your 13 scholarships.That is not allowed.
I believe McDermott paid his own way his senior year and didn’t count as a scholarship
Mad Props to TX Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
I believe McDermott paid his own way his senior year and didn’t count as a scholarship
Yes, he did. I know there are more examples of it, but they are escaping me right now.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, he did. I know there are more examples of it, but they are escaping me right now.

W paid his own way while redshirting his freshman year.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I believe one of Barons kids at Rhody did

Some of the guys on the BYU roster might be going on missions so that could explain the 15
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2019, 12:23 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If I had to guess I would think they’d try to set up a Kansas Michigan State final
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:26 AM
General

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrod_Uthoff

Jarrod Uthoff had to pay his own way when he transferred from Wisconsin to Iowa because of Big 10 transfer rules.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-05-2019)