UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-21-2022, 01:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,080 Times in 676 Posts
udx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant future
Men's college basketball retention rankings: Who did the best job keeping a team together?

Flyers are no. 3. With our freshman team last year that makes sense.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-team-together
Mad Props to udx2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-23-2022)
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2022, 02:34 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,772 Times in 935 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Just shows you how crazy things have become. We lost three transfers (one of them in-season!) and we are still top 5 in retention.

Hard to recall a team in the past that 3 transfers wouldn't absolutely devastate. We should count our blessings.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:56 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by udx2 View Post
Flyers are no. 3. With our freshman team last year that makes sense.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-team-together
I really do not want to agree to spend $6.99/month on ESPN+ in order to read this article. Can someone give me the cliff notes, please?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 05:23 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
I really do not want to agree to spend $6.99/month on ESPN+ in order to read this article. Can someone give me the cliff notes, please?
Posted via Mobile Device
LTBB
ESPN+ can be a good deal if you're into soccer, fencing or cricket, but a bunch of stuff is not available due to contract exemptions eg any games with Astros or other teams with constraints (by contract) with competing media.
Very frustrating to pay for a service that doesn't offer games with your home team.
The GOOD NEWS is our Flyers are always available on ESPN+.

Go Flyers!
Old 07-21-2022, 05:46 PM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
Here you Go

3. Dayton Flyers: The Flyers had the youngest rotation in college basketball last season, with six of their top seven players having freshman eligibility. Yet none of them opted to enter the transfer portal and explore other options. Moreover, of the three players to transfer out of the program, only one played minutes in March -- and that was 21 minutes over six games.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:14 PM

Thanked 1,080 Times in 676 Posts
udx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Here are the top five:

Top 20

1. TCU Horned Frogs: Jamie Dixon has all five starters back from the team that took Arizona to the brink in the second round of the NCAA tournament. The lone loss was reserve guard Francisco Farabello, an excellent outside shooter, but the Horned Frogs bring back everyone else.

2. Virginia Cavaliers: It was a down season for Tony Bennett and the Cavaliers, which now return their top six scorers, bring in four four-star recruits and an impact transfer. To Bennett's credit, zero key players jumped ship via the portal. Four players did transfer, but none of the four averaged more than 2.1 points or was a major part of the rotation for the majority of the season.

3. Dayton Flyers: The Flyers had the youngest rotation in college basketball last season, with six of their top seven players having freshman eligibility. Yet none of them opted to enter the transfer portal and explore other options. Moreover, of the three players to transfer out of the program, only one played minutes in March -- and that was 21 minutes over six games.

4. North Carolina Tar Heels: On paper, the Tar Heels had some key portal departures -- Dawson Garcia, Kerwin Walton and Anthony Harris all opted to enter the portal. But Garcia left the team midway through the season to deal with a family matter at home. Harris didn't play after Jan. 8. And Walton played five minutes total in six NCAA tournament games. So in reality, Hubert Davis kept as many players as he could from the team that made the title-game run. Brady Manek was the lone starter to leave.

5. Gonzaga Bulldogs: It was a fantastic offseason for the Bulldogs, not only with the return of Drew Timme, Julian Strawther and Rasir Bolton, but from a rotation continuity perspective as well. Two walk-ons from Mark Few's team hit the portal, but the Zags kept hold of former five-star guards Nolan Hickman and Hunter Sallis despite neither player starting as a freshman.
Mad Props to udx2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (07-22-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
To me the biggest shocker of returning players for UD is Kaleb Washington. He was a pretty highly rated recruit who didn’t see the playing time I’m sure he was expecting.

I think it speaks highly of his maturity and team focus that he didn’t jump ship. It’s hard to tell how good he could be because his minutes were so limited but I really hope he has a great season!
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
DGO67 (07-23-2022), Flyer 86 (07-23-2022), flyerfanatic86 (07-25-2022), Jack D (07-23-2022), jack72 (07-22-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-21-2022), Mich Flyer (07-22-2022), Sticks 'n Stearns (07-22-2022), superfan99 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 08:56 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Think Kaleb is very mature for his age. He might be the typical throw back player who stays for 4 years and gets stronger as he goes. Like Mikesell . If he comes back stronger he could challenge Mustapha for minutes.

Here's a novel idea, maybe he actually is a realist and values an education.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-23-2022), Jack D (07-23-2022), UD62 (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:45 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Is Amaefule going to contribute this year?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2022, 11:08 AM

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
He is among a whole scrum of talent. Earning minutes will be trip. It will make them all better.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 11:40 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,012 Times in 500 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Think Kaleb is very mature for his age. He might be the typical throw back player who stays for 4 years and gets stronger as he goes. Like Mikesell . If he comes back stronger he could challenge Mustapha for minutes.

Here's a novel idea, maybe he actually is a realist and values an education.
I thought he looked good toward the end of the year when he got a little playing time, makes you wonder if there may have been an injury issue, or maybe the curve was just a little steeper for him.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:17 PM
Captain

Sticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud ofSticks 'n Stearns has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
To me the biggest shocker of returning players for UD is Kaleb Washington. He was a pretty highly rated recruit who didn’t see the playing time I’m sure he was expecting.
Agree with this but I was even more shocked that Zimi returned. Speaks to the culture built by the coaches, and also the kids who are a part of that culture.
Mad Props to Sticks 'n Stearns For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,197 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
I think this speaks volumes about the type of kids that AG is recruiting. Brea's comments appear to reinforce this.

Last edited by Bill McPeek; 07-22-2022 at 03:33 PM..
Mad Props to Bill McPeek For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 04:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
There are seven reasonably proven (or better):

Smith
Elvis
Brea
Blakney
Amzil
Holmes
Camara

Then you need at least one, preferably two, maybe three of these to find a place in the regular rotation:

Sharavjamts
Amaefule
Nwokeji
Washington
Baker

Who among those gets regular run, who subs for whom, where everybody plays, and who is upset about playing time doesn't concern me at all this year. The staff will sort it out, and it will be good.

I hope there's a lot of games where those last five will get 5+ minutes together because they've got a 20-point lead.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:34 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sheg View Post
There are seven reasonably proven (or better):

Smith
Elvis
Brea
Blakney
Amzil
Holmes
Camara

Then you need at least one, preferably two, maybe three of these to find a place in the regular rotation:

Sharavjamts
Amaefule
Nwokeji
Washington
Baker

Who among those gets regular run, who subs for whom, where everybody plays, and who is upset about playing time doesn't concern me at all this year. The staff will sort it out, and it will be good.

I hope there's a lot of games where those last five will get 5+ minutes together because they've got a 20-point lead.
Mongolian Mike will be a solid backup pg. The rest are wild cards but I see at least one of them being able to contribute.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AZFlyer85 View Post
Mongolian Mike will be a solid backup pg. The rest are wild cards but I see at least one of them being able to contribute.
I’ll contend that at least 1 and maybe 2 of them can move into the “rotation” category, if Zimi reverts to his 2020-21 form and Kaleb builds on his late-season success. Granted, they both play the 3/4 spots, but if RJ improves his handle, he could see a few minutes a game at the 2, making some room at the 3/4 for ZN and KW.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2022, 01:49 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
The "wait" for tip-off is driving me mad!
Mad Props to DGO67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 06:37 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DGO67 View Post
The "wait" for tip-off is driving me mad!

Can't wait. One of the MOST talented 10 or 12 we've had here!

I too am surprised with Zimi choice to stay. Sure is some culture AG has built here.