User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
A10 schedule

Looks like the A10 released the pairings today for the 2008-09 season. I've seen announcements from URI, UMass, and x (no surprise we play x twice, while umass and uri are both road games)

Hopefully someone will print the UD schedule soon
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
I saw that XU is playing Fordham 2 times this year, which means Fordham thinks that they are NCAA tournament ready. Kind of a joke if you ask me, since they lost 4 starters.

Unless the A10 switched the way they pair the teams?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough

Umm, they did.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...408spudbb.html

I so hope we play at SJU this year. They are renovating Alumni Fieldhouse, so SJU is playing all of its home games at the Palestra, one of the best venues in all of sports for the nostalgic.

We'll see.

Last edited by The Chef; 07-02-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Dukes twice

Looks like according to the Duquesne site we will play them home and away--not sure if we knew that already or not.

As a side note, they are not only playing Duke this season, but also Pitt

Last edited by smitch425; 07-02-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: added the non-con games
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Chef.

Smitch thanks for the Duquesne update.

Unless we get a cupcake for the 3rd (which for us in the A10 is not real, everyone plays us tough, or do we play down to the level?) We are prob going to have one of the toughest home and homes again. I feel that the Dukes will be better again this year.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
I love cupcakes, but...

I don't think there are any located in this league. As was evident last year, we could be beaten by anyone on any given night and so can anyone else in the league.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by as_4 View Post
I saw that XU is playing Fordham 2 times this year, which means Fordham thinks that they are NCAA tournament ready. Kind of a joke if you ask me, since they lost 4 starters.

Unless the A10 switched the way they pair the teams?
they got some good recruits comming in, one in particular from St. Anthonys (head coach bobby hurley)... i remember there bein a thread awhile back about how fordham is going to get a couple recruits from St. A's, which is one of the best high school basketball teams in the country, within the next few yrs so they might be pretty competitive
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Captain

hUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these partshUDygrad is infamous around these parts
x was supposed to play Fordham twice last year but Martelli wanted to close out their old gym with a game against X on national tv. They just moved it to this year.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by as_4 View Post
Unless we get a cupcake for the 3rd (which for us in the A10 is not real, everyone plays us tough, or do we play down to the level?) We are prob going to have one of the toughest home and homes again.
And now that we know your conference record trumps the difficulty of your schedule, I'm all for doubling-up with all the easy A10 teams.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udstevied_D87 View Post
they got some good recruits comming in, one in particular from St. Anthonys (head coach bobby hurley)... i remember there bein a thread awhile back about how fordham is going to get a couple recruits from St. A's, which is one of the best high school basketball teams in the country, within the next few yrs so they might be pretty competitive
St. Anthony's was the number one HS team in the country last year. I believe that Fordham is getting two players from that team however the two they are getting were not their best. Still they are very good players. Talking to a Fordham fan last year I was told that Wittenburg is not making himself real popular on Rose Hill. I understand that he is complaining about the facilities there and how tough it is to recruit. Oh well.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
Talking to a Fordham fan last year I was told that Wittenburg is not making himself real popular on Rose Hill. I understand that he is complaining about the facilities there and how tough it is to recruit. Oh well.

And of course he would be correct.
Gotta respect him for that as long as he is complaining to the right people in the right way.

I think his only long term chance of survival is to try to bring up the issue of the facilities he no doubt was promised when he hired on.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
And of course he would be correct.
Gotta respect him for that as long as he is complaining to the right people in the right way.

I think his only long term chance of survival is to try to bring up the issue of the facilities he no doubt was promised when he hired on.
Supposedly Fordham is to get a new on campus "arena" that will seat, I believe, about 6,000. Who knows what he was "promised" when he took the job. My understanding is he has been much too vocal to many of the wrong people and as a result ticking off the powers to be. He had to know what he was getting into at FU when he signed on.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
And now that we know your conference record trumps the difficulty of your schedule, I'm all for doubling-up with all the easy A10 teams.
Yup, "you can't finish 5th in your conference and go to the tournament". Of course if you have the easiest schedule and finish 2nd, that will just be ignored.

Looking it up would take the committee too long.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill McPeek View Post
Supposedly Fordham is to get a new on campus "arena" that will seat, I believe, about 6,000. Who knows what he was "promised" when he took the job. My understanding is he has been much too vocal to many of the wrong people and as a result ticking off the powers to be. He had to know what he was getting into at FU when he signed on.
I'm not sure these coaches ever really absorb how deep a hole they are getting into early in their careers when a D1 opportunity presents itself for the first time. Fordham should be a step up from Wagner. He has been patient but after 5 years of recruiting with some ridiculous disadvantages in facilities, he may be thinking what have I got to lose. FU cannot compete without some parity in facilities. Since he was an assistant at Ga Tech, NC State, West Virginia, et. al., he knows one when he sees one.

But if as you say, he is getting fractious with the wrong folks, that is social suicide.

2 cents.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Saint Bonaventure is out, and we play them at home only this year.

I've put a little HTML table together on my web site that shows matchups already announced. Read across to determine home/away for that team.

http://ohiomcginn.homeip.net/udayton...09a10sched.cgi

John
Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Lieutenant General

NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
The last thread to track the OOC schedule got hijacked, so I though I would post here that is looks like Marshall has been added as a home game

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...LAND_ELITE_TOP

So, what we know so far:

Home
George Mason
Marshall
Miami (OH)
Bethune-Cookman (Game #1 of Chicago Invitational)
Mercer (Game #2 of Chicago Invitational)
A10: x
A10: SBU
A10: Duq.

Road
Toledo
Akron
Creighton
A10: Charlotte
A10: UMass
A10: RI
A10: Duq

Neutral (Chicago Invitational)
Auburn (Game #3)
Marquette (Game #4)

Last edited by NCkevi; 07-04-2008 at 07:45 AM..
Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Add Duquesne on the road. They are one of our paired opponents.

http://goduquesne.cstv.com/sports/m-...070208aab.html
Old 07-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Add Duquesne on the road. They are one of our paired opponents.
thanks - added!

Home
George Mason
Marshall
Miami (OH)

Road
Toledo
Akron
Creighton

Auburn (Game #3)
Marquette (Game #4)

A10 teams left (5 home, 2 road): St. Joes, Temple, Richmond, SLU, Fordham, GW, LaSalle

Last edited by NCkevi; 07-04-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Eeek. Toledo on the road? Akron on the road? Mercer, Bethune-Cookman and Marshall at home? I can't wait.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Colonel

Add Wofford???

It was said in the other schedule thread that we are playing Wofford at home on Nov. 16. Not sure of the credibility, but given that they stated an actual date, I tend to believe it.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
NCKevi, we only play Saint Bonaventure at home, we aren't doing a home and home with them. I hope my table on my site didn't mislead you because of the home/away/home-and-home at the top. The colors determine the type of game, not what they are under. I should specify that better, I apologize.

John
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Lieutenant General

updated - I think SJ will be a road game.
Our other home-home opponent will either be Temple, GW, LaSalle, Richmond, or SLU.
I wonder if the Marshall game was arranged before Jirsa left?
Since the pairings are obviously out, why doesn't the A10 post them on their site?

Home
Wofford
George Mason
Marshall
Miami (OH)

Road
Toledo
Akron
Creighton

Auburn (Game #3)
Marquette (Game #4)

A10 teams left (5 home, 3 road): St. Joes, Temple, Richmond, SLU, Fordham, GW, LaSalle
Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Looking at historical matchups, and "fairness" of home one year, away the next, I figure that Fordham, GW, LaSalle and Richmond will all be home, and Saint Joseph's and Temple will be away. I am thinking that Saint Louis will not be a home and home (since we've done it 3 years in a row, now), and depending on who our last home and home is with, will depend on where we play Saint Louis. (I am guessing Fordham for home and home...we'll see soon enough...)

JOhn
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM

This may be the weakest home ooc in a while

Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
Eeek. Toledo on the road? Akron on the road? Mercer, Bethune-Cookman and Marshall at home? I can't wait.
Geo Mason and Miami have a chance of being a good games to watch with something on the line to settle, but seriously couldn't we attract at least one marquee name opponent into the Arena? With no big names on the road booked as home-n-home, next year really will be a challenge for home bookings.

We may be paying dearly for thrashing Pitt at the Arena.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Geo Mason and Miami have a chance of being a good games to watch with something on the line to settle, but seriously couldn't we attract at least one marquee name opponent into the Arena? With no big names on the road booked as home-n-home, next year really will be a challenge for home bookings.

We may be paying dearly for thrashing Pitt at the Arena.
So far this schedule is similar to 03-04 when our best home games were Miami and St Louis. Marshall will be improving under longtime Florida assistant Donnie Jones (in his second year). Let's hope we can get at least one more decent game. We still could start another series at home. The only new series we have so far is Creighton, which will be at home in 09-10. (I'm assuming Marshall is a buy game.) I'd like to get another series with an MVC team starting at home.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Figgie123
(I am guessing Fordham for home and home...we'll see soon enough...)
I was going to post that thought as well, but if I'm reading the chart right, it looks like their three are set: x, Bonnies, and URI
Old 07-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I Am A Statistical God

I guess I should pay more attention to my own charts! I was looking at the history of UD in the A10 and where we played teams, and it just looked like it could be Fordham, but as you point out, this year is all set for them with home-and-homes. Can I change my guess now?

John
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Academy Doolie

PhillyFlyer95 is on a distinguished road
A Good Year To Play @ SJU

Said before and correct, SJU plays their games this coming year at the famed Palastra. The most overrated place to play a game in the conference is Hawk Hill, The Palastra is one of the chapels in all of college hoops. I was there with a couple of UD grads when LeBron made an appearance there his senior year of HS playing against future GW star M. Rice. Later that day I remember hearing (or listening since we got the local broadcast) Brooks Hall game hit the game winning shot to beat Villanova at The Arena.

Does anyone know, Marcus Johnson was a freshman when LeBron was a senior on that team, did he make the trip to Philly?

If we achieve what we expect this season, who we play and where play shouldn't matter come conference time (though playing at The Palastra would be fun). It's time to disregard the potential, look at the name on the front of that jersey, stand up and show the nation what the faithful have always believed.

How great is it that college hoops is a 12 month season...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Let's add Saint Joseph's at home, and not a home and home. Looking at a link at Saint Joseph's site regarding season tickets, they mention which teams they are playing at home, and Dayton isn't one of them. (Though they list 9 A10 Home opponents, and that just can't be right, can it? Unless they are adding an A10 game as a non-conference game?) Therefore, we must only be playing at home. I've updated that information on my web page. Saint Joseph's is listed with 1 extra home game right now, because we don't know their 3rd home-and-home yet. (I assume Temple...just like UD/XU, Joe/Tem is an annual home-and-home.)

Last edited by Figgie123; 07-05-2008 at 08:19 AM..
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Now Wofford? Wow - this is awesome. What a pathetic home non-conference schedule. I don't know how anyone who pays season ticket money can enjoy this.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Now Wofford? Wow - this is awesome. What a pathetic home non-conference schedule. I don't know how anyone who pays season ticket money can enjoy this.
Take it easy, tman. I have season tickets and I enjoy every home game. Sure, I would like to see more big name teams, but it is difficult to get them, and the schedule isn't complete yet. Maybe you would like to help TK get some of these bigger name teams to come to the arena. I can just hear these AD's now, "You want us to come to the Arena after what you did to Pitt??? No thanks."
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
No, this is tman's delight. Play big names on the road, to heck with the home schedule.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
No, this is tman's delight. Play big names on the road, to heck with the home schedule.
That's right, I forgot - like Miami does it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Brigadier General

Filling in some more blanks like Sudoku

It's confirmed that Richmond will be traveling to UD Arena. We know their road schedule completely (at CHA, DAY, FOR, GW, LAS, MASS, SLU, TEM). They have their 5 home-only games listed, which means that they will either be Dayton's third home-and-home team or they will be at Dayton only.

It's probably somewhat safe to guess (but not confirmed) that Fordham will be traveling to UD Arena. They are the only team that does not have any road only teams announced, and seven of their matchups have been revealed. We'd have to grab the short straw to be headed to Rose Hill this season. Richmond has guaranteed themselves a long straw.

These are reasoned guesses:

at LaSalle
Temple at "the Sticks"

Not sure how GW and SLU will play out. I think it's very likely that we get one of these two as our third home-and-home opponent, and I'm guessing it's SLU.

Note that SJU has 9 conference games listed in their season ticket package because the LaSalle game counts as a home game for the Explorers, not the Hawks. All of the Big 5 matches are at the Palestra. They wouldn't dare play that game at Tom Gola Arena or there would be a riot.

Using reason based on past rivalries, Temple is probably SJU's third home-and-home opponent. Note that all of the teams that have announced have kept one historically significant rivalry related to their proximity (UD vs _U, UMASS vs URI, UR vs UNCC, FU vs SBU, DU vs SLU, from the old MCC days). From a SOS perspective, it's also the one that makes sense.

Such a shame that SJU is coming to Dayton this season as the Hawks return to the newly renovated Fieldhouse for the 2009-10 season.

Last edited by The Chef; 07-07-2008 at 12:13 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Lieutenant General

If Chef's guesses are correct, I believe our schedule would look something like this (with 4? OOC games left to be announced (corrected, I think)

Home
Wofford
George Mason
Marshall
Miami (OH)
* x
* Duquesne
* SBU
* Richmond
* Fordham
* St. Joes
* Temple
* GW or SLU

Road
Toledo
Akron
Creighton
* x
* Duquesne
* Charlotte
* Mass
* RI
* LaSalle
* GW
* SLU

Auburn (Game #3)
Marquette (Game #4)

Last edited by NCkevi; 07-07-2008 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Brigadier General

Geez! Just thinking about it, it doesn't look much different than last year. Just a couple of small tweaks.

Last edited by The Chef; 07-07-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I would think that we would be playing UofR twice rather than GW. UofR will be in the upper tier of the conference this season. SLU may be much better as well. But i'm doubting that GW will be in the top half of the conference, which makes me second guess that we would be partnered with them. That is, unless, the conference feels that UD is a middle tier team this year.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Flyer'95 View Post
I would think that we would be playing UofR twice rather than GW. UofR will be in the upper tier of the conference this season. SLU may be much better as well. But i'm doubting that GW will be in the top half of the conference, which makes me second guess that we would be partnered with them. That is, unless, the conference feels that UD is a middle tier team this year.
Actually, in light of the fact that we have a home and home with the Musties and the conference has changed its conference scheduling criteria, last year's conference finish makes it more likely that it will be GW than it will be Richmond. But again, I actually think it will be Saint Louis for lots of reasons of which the schedule balancing is only one. (But, I note again that this is speculative.)

See the article that I previously linked above.

Last edited by The Chef; 07-07-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Gotcha. It's funny, i read that article once before and somehow completely purged it from memory. I'm too young to feel this old.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Binnie Bombs 33 is on a distinguished road
If there is not at least 2 BCS teams (outside of the tournament) on our OOC schedule BG/Kissell should be ashamed of themselves. They have such talent this year, they need some quality wins or close "quality" losses to make it.

Wofford, Marshal, Mercer etc won't do it ... Creighton may not even mean much on the road next season.

Time to step up and try to bring this program to the X level, who wants to watch this ****. And why so secretive with the schedule, we are Dayton, release it ... most others have.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Binnie Bombs 33 View Post
If there is not at least 2 BCS teams (outside of the tournament) on our OOC schedule BG/Kissell should be ashamed of themselves.
Are you saying these games should be at home or do you want them on the road? I doubt very much that we will get any decent BCS teams to come to the Arena this year, and we already have five road/neutral games. I would think we will have, at most, one more road game. We have not had more than 6 road/neutral non-conference games for many years (if ever), and the only year I see as many as 6 is 03-04 because we went to Maui. Last year we had 4, in 06-07 we had 4, in 05-06 we had 5 (including the Las Vegas Tourney), in 04-05 we had 3, in 03-04 we had 6 (with Maui), in 02-03 we had 4, and in 01-02 we had 4. I know the NCAA has added two more games since the days we would only play 3 or 4 road/neutral non-con games, but I still don't see us going over 6.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM

And why so secretive with the schedule, we are Dayton, release it ... most others have.
Traditionally UD releases the men's bb schedule around the first week in Sept. I've been led to believe that TV opportunities and their commensurate timing have a lot to do with it. I guess one could say, still, why are we so different? I have no idea, but it is rarely ever released before the 3rd week in August. Possibly lobbying for something better than a buy-in I hope.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Do I dare raise the spector of last years format and our A10 tournament seeding. Not sure it would have made a difference in the end because we lost to some of the "lower" tier teams in league play. I still think that format hurt our league in terms of NCAA bids ... UD in particular paid the price of a tough in conference schedule. Didn't help we were sick or injured for half of that time.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Temple is out, and we play them at UD Arena. No home-and-home with Temple.

John
Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant General

I thought I read (maybe in the article on the Chicago tourney) that UD planned to release the 'schedule' by the end of June. I read this as the teams we're playing as the A10 won't announce dates and times of conference games until the end of summer/early fall for TV scheduling reasons
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 PM

As a response to your comment.

1 road, 1 home.

I know with what happened with Pitt last year makes it tough, but it is their freaking job and they get paid pretty handsomly to do it ... they need to give us at least one big game at home per year, season ticket holders deserve it.

Just find someone ... if we ever want to make it to X level, this kind of stuff just has to happen, I don't know how ... but it has to happen. Spin it so BCS teams want to play at UD arena, b/c winning there is impossible and is considered a quality win, spin it saying we may have a top 10 sophmore in the whole country on our team and we can be reckoned with. Show the cupcake schedule you have already got and tell them we will have a very good record early and it will look good.

Just find a way to get it done.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Colonel

Last year

Traditionally UD releases the men's bb schedule around the first week in Sept. I've been led to believe that TV opportunities and their commensurate timing have a lot to do with it. I guess one could say, still, why are we so different? I have no idea, but it is rarely ever released before the 3rd week in August. Possibly lobbying for something better than a buy-in I hope.
Looking at last year, they announced the dates /teams for our non-con schedule and the matchups/locations for A-10 on July 17. If the timing is the same this year then maybe they are going to wait and release the whole shedule of teams together, and that is why there has been no A-10 announcement yet. The suspense is killing me!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Looking at last year, they announced the dates /teams for our non-con schedule and the matchups/locations for A-10 on July 17. If the timing is the same this year then maybe they are going to wait and release the whole shedule of teams together, and that is why there has been no A-10 announcement yet. The suspense is killing me!
This is the official release on Sept. 7, 2007. But I realize our clever beagles scope out much of it peacemeal before that.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...090707aaa.html

A10 schedule was not finalized (again I think TV issues) until week before, but opponents were identified earlier.

I'm a little anxious to see the final ooc slots also because so far there is not much bang to it.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 07-07-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Colonel

The schedule release I was referring to

Here is the link

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...071707aac.html
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Just off the Jet

UDfaithful is on a distinguished road
anyone who thinks dayton will actually get a big game at home this year, is out of there minds.. after they ripped PITT apart you actually believe a major D1 team wants to come into the arena and get the same, we'll have to go on the road and win those big games this year and we can't contine to lose to X at the cintas because that is what the committee wants to see those big wins at hard places to win. also UD is in two regular season tournaments, we win those tourneys or finish good in them that says alot about our program and gives us a great opportunity in march.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Just off the Jet

USCFlyer26 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Hmmmm

That schedule looks pretty weak. Why again can't UD schedule a home and home with an up and coming team like USC? The PAC-10 has already pre-released the prospectus and if ND State, NMSU, Tennessee-Martin and Oral Roberts have the cajones to come to LA, why on earth wouldn't our Flyers do the same?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...-prospect.html
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by USCFlyer26 View Post
That schedule looks pretty weak. Why again can't UD schedule a home and home with an up and coming team like USC? The PAC-10 has already pre-released the prospectus and if ND State, NMSU, Tennessee-Martin and Oral Roberts have the cajones to come to LA, why on earth wouldn't our Flyers do the same?
Maybe the UC Irvine Anteaters??
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Just off the Jet

Originally Posted by USCFlyer26 View Post

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...-prospect.html
Do you wanna know why our Flyers wont go on the road to a USC or an up and coming squad and a ND State, NMSU, Tennesee Martin and Oral Roberts will go? Because they have nothing to do lose on doing so, Oral Roberts was the only half way decent team in that group with a 24-9 record coming out of the Summit League, I've never even heard of the Summit League. You have to realize UD will be in tournaments that will get them notoriety and the commitee wont leave them out from the dance again this coming year if we capitalize. Whoever trys to tell me games like Auburn or Marquette wont help our RPI or SOS is crazy these tournaments are very big for UD. And maybe you forgot but UD barely slipped past an Akron team by 2 in OT and Toledo by 6. Dont take these teams lightly because whenever we open our mouths we lose the games we should have never lost in the first place and end up in March Sadness instead of March Madness.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by USCFlyer26
Why again can't UD schedule a home and home with an up and coming team like USC . . . if ND State, NMSU, Tennessee-Martin and Oral Roberts have the cajones to come to LA, why on earth wouldn't our Flyers do the same?
I would be disappointed if Dayton scheduled a one way game (with no return) against an "up and coming team"
I'm OK with home-homes with schools from one of the major conferences, so if USC wants a home-home fine -
but UD shouldn't be willing to be a buy game for just any school in one of the major conferences.
I think those should be rare and when done should be with the eilte teams of college basketball

When scheduling road games, UD should aspire to be better than the ND states and Tenn-Martins of the world and to consistantly have a quailty schedule we need to make a run in the NCAA's.

Last edited by NCkevi; 07-08-2008 at 07:56 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by UDfaithful View Post
anyone who thinks dayton will actually get a big game at home this year, is out of there minds.. after they ripped PITT apart you actually believe a major D1 team wants to come into the arena and get the same, we'll have to go on the road and win those big games this year and we can't contine to lose to X at the cintas because that is what the committee wants to see those big wins at hard places to win. also UD is in two regular season tournaments, we win those tourneys or finish good in them that says alot about our program and gives us a great opportunity in march.
Xavier ripped apart Michael Beasley and Kansas State (not as good as Pitt, but...) last year and they continue to get good teams to travel to Cincinnati. Didn't Tennessee travel and play at Xavier last year? Yes. You win and gain respect, then those teams will show you respect and schedule you. We aren't close to getting there yet.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Why not a home and home with a team like Davidson?

Curry returned, you know they will win their conference and make noise.

These are the type of games we need, you can find teams like Davidson ... or teams that are on the verge of being good in the BCS conferences you just have to be good at what you do. No reason that Dayton, with our money, fanbase, arena, chris wright and 23 wins last year can't get a home and home with teams like USC, Oregon, Purdue ... etc.

No excuses, just get the job done.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute

These are the type of games we need, you can find teams like Davidson ... or teams that are on the verge of being good in the BCS conferences you just have to be good at what you do. No reason that Dayton, with our money, fanbase, arena, chris wright and 23 wins last year can't get a home and home with teams like USC, Oregon, Purdue ... etc.

You can have the dance floor and the music, if they don't want to dance you don't have a partner. No one wants to come here after Pitt game. You can scream just get it done all you want, they aren't returning the phone calls.

I bet at the end of the season this schedule will have a pretty good SOS rating.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute

You can forget about Davidson. First, they are limited in non-con b/c they have to play 20 conference games. Add this to traditional home-and-home w/ Charlotte and Winthrop and there are even fewer openings. They usually play a NC ACC team at Charlotte's downtown arena (this year it is NC State), plus this year they already have a buy game at Duke, and play in the Jimmy V Classic, the preseason NIT, the Wooden Classic in Indy against Purdue and ESPN Bracketbuster game. I'd say their schedule is pretty full.

Certainly there are other "Davidson-like" teams that we should have made an effort to schedule (& hopefully we did), but there was no chance Davidson would play and home-and-home w/ UD. They took advantage of last years' success to schedule a bunch of TV games and they have no room for new series.

Last edited by shapanud; 07-08-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
General

This is classic ex-post thinking when ex-ante thinking is required. You say Davidson, but guess who else does? Every last team in the country in UD's position. Davidson's AD's phone is ringing off the hook. Who's going to get the return call? The person who waited until Davidson made the Sweet 16 or the guy who was having this conversation last year at this time??

So why not Siena--oh, they don't get attention because they lost in the 2nd round instead of having 1 player get insanely hot.

Why not San Diego? Because they lost in the 2nd round.

Why not WKU? They lost in the 3rd round.

Why not St. Mary's? They lost in the first round after a great season.

Are these teams good enough for a home-home? Maybe you'll say yes. But the crapshoot is that every one of these teams could be awful by the time we actually get them scheduled and then get the return trip the following year. Maybe not.

I'm just saying it's too late to pick Davidson out of the crowd after they've already made the Sweet 16. You have to predict that kind of thing closer to a year in advance (impossible) and start the conversation at that point, and THEN hope the team doesn't stink 3 years from now when the contract finishes.

So the question to you is this: what team's AD would you call today and ask them for a home-home to start next year (2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons)? That's a hard question to answer and requires more than just saying "just get it done".
Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Brigadier General

Xavier ripped apart Michael Beasley and Kansas State (not as good as Pitt, but...) last year and they continue to get good teams to travel to Cincinnati. Didn't Tennessee travel and play at Xavier last year? Yes. You win and gain respect, then those teams will show you respect and schedule you. We aren't close to getting there yet.
Precisely. What's the difference between Dayton and _avier when you compare these scenarios? Four little letters (NCAA, as in the Tournament). We start getting to the dance and win some games there, the whole scheduling conundrum disappears and we'll have more than enough handsome suitors calling us for a game in Dayton.

Last edited by The Chef; 07-08-2008 at 01:45 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Just off the Jet

Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Precisely. What's the difference between Dayton and _avier when you compare these scenarios? Four little letters (NCAA, as in the Tournament). We start getting to the dance and win some games there, the whole scheduling conundrum disappears and we'll have more than enough handsome suitors calling us for a game in Dayton.
Totally agree with you, X gets those games by making it to the tournament every year pretty much, they dont lose the conference games that we tend to give away against the bottom dwellers of the A-10. How about we win the A-10 first, win the games we should win and then make our move at the nation's elite. UD has one of the best arena's in the nation but till we win regular tournaments like the ones we have this year we wont be seeing the big teams that X play because we haven't been to the NCAA as of late.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:38 PM

It is a sad state of affairs
Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Just off the Jet

It really is a sad state that the program is in becaue, Oliver Purnell use to get the boys in often or a adequate shot at the dance. I'm not the fondest of BG but I think he will get us back in soon, we have a great incoming class this year. But wouldn't it be nice if we played Michigan State possibly at the arena or away, since our boy BG did come from there as an assistant coach under Izzo. Just an idea, it's just hard to understand why we can't get a big name in the arena. But once again who would want to come into the arena after we tore PITT a new one. TK better start realizing that we need those big games at home or even away, until then we might not be looked at in march, also with a lousy A-10 record like last year we must win 12 like the 03-04 season when we made it in.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by UDfaithful View Post
It really is a sad state that the program is in becaue, Oliver Purnell use to get the boys in often or a adequate shot at the dance. also with a lousy A-10 record like last year we must win 12 like the 03-04 season when we made it in.
You do realize BG was our coach in 03-04, right? Also, we had an "adequate shot" at the dance last year. OP got us to the dance twice, BG once so far, and it would have been twice if not for the injuries. In the two years OP got us in, we might not have made it had we had the same types of devastating injuries we had this past year. I'm not knocking OP. I liked him and think he did a great job. I'm just saying if CW had not been injured this past year, this discussion would be entirely different.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM

What killed us was not making the tournament last season ... if you make the tournament you get a bigger type school to come to your place because "it is a quality loss" or a "big win" in their eyes ... no one is going to come to UD Arena to get their ass beat and have nothing to show for it.

That is why X gets teams to come to their place, they have set a winning precedent ... if we would actually try this thing called getting to the Ncaa tournament maybe people would come play us because it wouldn't be a lose/lose situation.

Most money made in the A-10 every year is us, best arena in the A-10 with the most revenue is us ... yet we can't dance ... until something changes with our AD's scheduling style (dare I talk about coaching without getting screamed at) or we have a flawless on-court season (this isn't the nba it will not happen there will always be "college" mistakes, which is fine ... but give the kids more than one opportunity to make a mistake) it will be the same thing.

As I gasp for air ... are we turning into the Cubs? Tease 75 percent of the season and then choke? Have all the monitary tools to make it to the big game and choke to lesser opponents? I dont know ... but I hate it.

Last edited by Binnie Bombs 33; 07-08-2008 at 03:44 PM..