User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shwag33 View Post
But if all your other choices are 6's as well.....
The other 6's are all from Ole Miss which we all know an Ole Miss 6 is better that a Dayton 6.
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
The other 6's are all from Ole Miss which we all know an Ole Miss 6 is better that a Dayton 6.
Ole Miss 6 is like an 11 in Dayton... better luck spotting a unicorn in the Gem City.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Keep hearing Dayton is a destination job, so if all we can get are 6's, then something isn't jibing with reality. Plus, I like having unrealistic expectations. It allows me to relieve my stress with a lot of venting.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Exactly! I think this sums it up very well. A lot of people are saying that Brannen would be a good hire but they don't like Grant? Brannen was Grant's ASSISTANT COACH for several years. I have absolutely no worries about Grant as a recruiter....he'll relate very well to just about any kid and his NBA experience is a big plus too. I do have some minor worries about his X's & O's ability but his assistant coaching hires could help a lot with that. At this level it's a lot about recruiting and motivation in my opinion.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (03-29-2017), m21eagle45 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I also feel like there aren't a lot of great choices out there right now either or some of them have already taken other jobs. I know the Final Four convention/weekend used to be the time when everybody interviewed and hired coaches but I think that has changed a lot and schools are firing/hiring sooner/quicker so they have better options available. I feel like we are very late in the process (not our fault with the timing of the IU hire) and it has hurt our candidate pool a bit.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Keep hearing Dayton is a destination job, so if all we can get are 6's, then something isn't jibing with reality. Plus, I like having unrealistic expectations. It allows me to relieve my stress with a lot of venting.
We're still talking about coaches? Dayton can get closer to a 10 for sure. I think that's why we're looking for someone a little taller this go around.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Here's some interesting information from an IU wesbsite. It seems like Ostrum might be most comfortable as an assistant. Perhaps Kuwik is the most likely assistant candidate.

"That leaves Ostrom coming to Bloomington, and that’s a good thing for Hoosier fans, probably. Ostrom’s been Miller’s lead recruiter at Dayton, with deep ties to Billy Donovan and John Pelphrey’s staffs. (He recruited Joakim Noah to Florida.) Sports Illustrated profiled his rise for Dayton back in 2014.

Thanks to de-commitments, transfers and graduation, Dayton had eight open scholarships in the first nine months that Miller had the job. That's a daunting roster turnover, but the Flyers find themselves in the Sweet 16 thanks to transfers (Vee Sanford and Jordan Sibert) and hidden gems (Dyshawn Pierre and Khari Price).

Ostrom deflects all the credit to Miller and fellow assistants Kevin Kuwik and Allen Griffin. (He also attempted to decline comment for this article multiple times before reluctantly agreeing to speak.)

The most difficult part of recruiting to a place like Dayton, which rests on the cusp between mid-major and high major, is making sure there's a chance to land the recruit. Ostrom's specialty is identifying players the Flyers don't waste their time with.

That leaves Ostrom coming to Bloomington, and that’s a good thing for Hoosier fans, probably. Ostrom’s been Miller’s lead recruiter at Dayton, with deep ties to Billy Donovan and John Pelphrey’s staffs. (He recruited Joakim Noah to Florida.) Sports Illustrated profiled his rise for Dayton back in 2014.

Thanks to de-commitments, transfers and graduation, Dayton had eight open scholarships in the first nine months that Miller had the job. That's a daunting roster turnover, but the Flyers find themselves in the Sweet 16 thanks to transfers (Vee Sanford and Jordan Sibert) and hidden gems (Dyshawn Pierre and Khari Price).

Ostrom deflects all the credit to Miller and fellow assistants Kevin Kuwik and Allen Griffin. (He also attempted to decline comment for this article multiple times before reluctantly agreeing to speak.)

The most difficult part of recruiting to a place like Dayton, which rests on the cusp between mid-major and high major, is making sure there's a chance to land the recruit. Ostrom's specialty is identifying players the Flyers don't waste their time with.

"It's that constant massage, and you have to be creative and have a way about you," Miller said. "In (Ostrom's) case, it's that constant pressure he puts on everyone to communicate. He never goes away."
Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I also feel like there aren't a lot of great choices out there right now either or some of them have already taken other jobs. I know the Final Four convention/weekend used to be the time when everybody interviewed and hired coaches but I think that has changed a lot and schools are firing/hiring sooner/quicker so they have better options available. I feel like we are very late in the process (not our fault with the timing of the IU hire) and it has hurt our candidate pool a bit.
Timing is almost exactly the same as when Tech hired BG and Dayton came up with Archie for what it's worth.
FLYER5 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I too am underwhelmed with the candidates that have been floated so far. For that reason I'm more than willing to go with the Butler/Xavier route and give Ostrom a shot.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2017), FLYER5 (03-29-2017), Smitty10 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
A lot of people are saying that Brannen would be a good hire but they don't like Grant? Brannen was Grant's ASSISTANT COACH for several years.
I am not sold on Brannen either...the top 3 seeds in the HLT lost before he had to face them...we would not even be considering him if he had not won the HLT.

He has two years of experience as a hc.

But, I do think that NKU looked good vs. UK IMO.

Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason

2015 Alabama 1–1 0–0 NIT Second Round

Alabama: 1–1 (.500) 0–0 (–)

Northern Kentucky Norse (Horizon League) (2015–present)

2015–16 Northern Kentucky 9–21 5–13 8th
2016–17 Northern Kentucky 24–11 12–6 T–3rd NCAA First Round

Northern Kentucky: 33–32 (.508) 17–19 (.472)

Total: 34–33 (.507)

Last edited by ud2; 03-29-2017 at 12:21 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-29-2017), m21eagle45 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Timing is almost exactly the same as when Tech hired BG and Dayton came up with Archie for what it's worth.
I don't disagree and i'm not saying there aren't any hidden gems out there. But I think the pool is already a little shallower this year and couple that with the trend that schools are in a race to fire/hire and it makes for less attractive candidates. Just my own take on this and I could be completely wrong.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant General

We're still talking about coaches? Dayton can get closer to a 10 for sure. I think that's why we're looking for someone a little taller this go around.
Please tell me a name that has been connected to the job that's anywhere close to a 10? All I've heard are 5s and 6s.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I don't disagree and i'm not saying there aren't any hidden gems out there. But I think the pool is already a little shallower this year and couple that with the trend that schools are in a race to fire/hire and it makes for less attractive candidates. Just my own take on this and I could be completely wrong.
Outside of UNC-W Keats, what other coaches have already taken new jobs that UD would have been interested in?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-29-2017), ud2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Grant may be just fine, but my fear and impression is that a lot of people want to hire him because he is a UD alum and they think he will stay at UD forever.

It's like you all just got dumped by your Ole Miss 8 girlfriend and decided you don't want to risk getting you're heart broken again so you settle for a nice and safe Dayton 6 who you don't think will ever leave you.
First I like this post because it's funny, so thanks for posting.

Second, I've only followed UD athletics a little over 10 years, so I didn't even know who AG was until his name was thrown in the hat. But I like what I've read about him. I really like what someone posted about his close games in the NCAAT. A loss is a loss, but his teams were in those games. His resume could be a lot different if half of those had gone his way. He had those teams ready to play. His game plans were solid.

Third, I doubt Sullivan needs a (new) girlfriend and if he's looking at the guy, I trust there is a valid reason why. But I could be wrong. He might be in the market???
Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Grant may be just fine, but my fear and impression is that a lot of people want to hire him because he is a UD alum and they think he will stay at UD forever.

It's like you all just got dumped by your Ole Miss 8 girlfriend and decided you don't want to risk getting you're heart broken again so you settle for a nice and safe Dayton 6 who you don't think will ever leave you.
Dayton 6s have gills
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-29-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
You guys are acting like AG has been out of college coaching for many years. Being gone 2 years isn't really that big of a deal. Many HS and AAU coaches are still at the schools or teams they were with 2 years ago. Some names have changed, but not enough to be a horrible detriment. Hire an assistant with strong recruiting ties and things would be fine.
That's why IMHO a great way to go (if it's even possible) would be to have AG sign-on as HC, with TO as a very highly-paid Associate HC (or, at least, as a very highly-paid Senior Assistant). That way:
(a) We get to bring in a guy with proven HC chops at our level of competition (mid-major - UGH, how I hate that term, but you're known by the company you keep); and
(b) We get to keep a guy with proven recruiting skills as our top assistant.

Again, not sure that's even a realistic possibility, but it would help ensure that this is more of a hiccup, and less of a full-out resuscitation.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Dayton 6s have gills
Whales are mammals.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017), CT Flyer (03-29-2017), rollo (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Did Ostrom and Grant work together on Donovan's staff at Florida?

That would be a good combination if AG could gain a commitment from Ostrom to be his asst. head coach. For Ostrom it is a win because he is now the lead assistant. AM never delineated a clear pecking order and may not at IU either. It would set up Tom for HC job more rapidly in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
One observation: How can John Groce be in the mix and Tom Crean isn't ?

I would much rather have Crean. Groce couldn't keep Chicago kids home.
Mad Props to AZFlyer85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Whales are mammals.

This Ole Miss comparison is kinda unfair. Beer has far more calories than what the Ole Miss girls drink.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't Anthony Grant like 6'6"? I don't think Archie or BG were even 6 foot.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Major General

Please tell me a name that has been connected to the job that's anywhere close to a 10? All I've heard are 5s and 6s.
I mean it's all subjective.

What would you have given Archie when hired?

I'm not going to rank our assistants because I feel like I've developed some biases but for the other guys:

Let's just say that I think a 5 or 6 might be too generous even for Groce, Fife, Paulus, and Whitford.

Grant is hard to rank. Personally, I'd put him at a 7 or 8 but I realize that opinions vary a ton with him.

Brannen I like a lot. He's an 8 or 9 to me, but it's a leap of faith with him.

Wish they'd go after Crean. He's the closest to a 10 in terms of resume. But there's an anti-Izzo assistant fear around here that might cause a lot of folks to rate him much, much lower.

I honestly think if Pat Kelsey had never entertained the UMASS job, he'd have gotten the gig and we'd all be really happy, saying he's a 10. But he damaged his reputation by what he pulled with UMASS to the point UD probably isn't even looking his way now, and probably shouldn't.

Now UMASS looks like they're going to hire Matt McCall. I think a lot of people, myself included would give him very high marks. Not sure why Dayton hasn't been connected to him.

But again, trying to grade the candidates is all subjective.
FLYER5 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Did Ostrom and Grant work together on Donovan's staff at Florida?
I was a little hazy on that so looked it up.

Ostrom spent seven seasons under Billy Donovan at Florida, the first five as administrative assistant/video coordinator (1998-2002) and the final two as an assistant coach (2003-04).

Anthony grant was an assistant at Florida under Billy D from 1996 to 2006 (when he left to take the VCU job).

So they worked together much longer than I realized. Looks like Ostrom worked alongside Grant for roughly the same period of time he's worked for Archie.

Interesting.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-29-2017), flyer016 (03-29-2017), FLYER5 (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I have noticed a few 6's who were a lot more energetic and brought more to the game, where as a 10 may let it go to their head and not be as fun, not stick around as long, or be as appreciative of everyones efforts. Long term that 6 might just turn into the 10 as we age as a program, compared to other comparable aged "coaches"

Yes, I am talking basketball

PS- And if we are lucky enough to get two good 6's at the same time, look out!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
We talk about Dayton being a premier job, and we talk about Donovan's former assistants. If Dayton is a premier job, why not talk to Donovan. The worst he could say is, "no." No harm in asking.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
I was a little hazy on that so looked it up.

Ostrom spent seven seasons under Billy Donovan at Florida, the first five as administrative assistant/video coordinator (1998-2002) and the final two as an assistant coach (2003-04).

Anthony grant was an assistant at Florida under Billy D from 1996 to 2006 (when he left to take the VCU job).

So they worked together much longer than I realized. Looks like Ostrom worked alongside Grant for roughly the same period of time he's worked for Archie.

Interesting.
Hiring Anthony Grant and retaining Tom Ostrom would be a home run, to my mind. That gives us both immediate continuity (especially with recruits) and the possibility of long-term leadership.

No idea how close Grant and Ostrom are or whether Ostrom would stick around if Archie offered a position in Bloomington, but the combo would be excellent.
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Brannen I like a lot. He's an 8 or 9 to me, but it's a leap of faith with him.
Yes, he does interest me. There is just not a lot to go on though. It is a leap of faith.

Went from 5-13 to 12-6 in the HL in one year, how hard is that to do?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
One observation: How can John Groce be in the mix and Tom Crean isn't ?

I would much rather have Crean. Groce couldn't keep Chicago kids home.
Crean might be sitting tight picking up a paycheck until another P5/BE job comes available. If that is the case, I appreciate him not looking at UD because it would probably be a stop gap job. This is a total guess. He could be looking to land this gig and planning to love it not list it on his resume down the road. He could be in the mix.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
T-Bone 84 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
We talk about Dayton being a premier job, and we talk about Donovan's former assistants. If Dayton is a premier job, why not talk to Donovan. The worst he could say is, "no." No harm in asking.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017), FLYER5 (03-29-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017), UDGutter2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Major General

Dude.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017), FLYER5 (03-29-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017), MikeF (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
What if AG would play WSU on MLK day?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Yes, he does interest me. There is just not a lot to go on though. It is a leap of faith.

Let's not forget, NKU beat the 5th seed, the 9th seed, and the 10th seed to win their conference tournament. It isn't like they played any tough teams along the way. If they do not win the HL tournament are we even considering him? This was only his second year at NKU. I personally think he needs a few more years, when luck was not on his side, before being considered for a job like Dayton.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017), C-time (03-29-2017), flyerfan4life (03-29-2017), jack72 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
What if AG would play WSU on MLK day?
I'm ok with this, as long as it's Wichita or Washington State
Old 03-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Major General

So I just watched a 6+ minute interview from today's Oklahoma City Thunder shootaround in Orlando with former Dayton target, now OKC Thunder shooting guard, Victor Oladipo. Why? Trying to spot Grant of course. It's come to that I'm afraid. I saw Billy D and some other Thunder staffers but couldn't positively ID Grant. He definitely could have been there. But I couldn't see him. Just throwing it out there....
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-29-2017), FLYER5 (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM

So I just watched a 6+ minute interview from today's Oklahoma City Thunder shootaround in Orlando with former Dayton target, now OKC Thunder shooting guard, Victor Oladipo. Why? Trying to spot Grant of course. It's come to that I'm afraid. I saw Billy D and some other Thunder staffers but couldn't positively ID Grant. He definitely could have been there. But I couldn't see him. Just throwing it out there....
It's ok. I was going to call a friend in Dallas to see if he was on the bench last night, but talked myself out of it. Yes it's Wednesday...do we have a coach yet?
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Outside of UNC-W Keats, what other coaches have already taken new jobs that UD would have been interested in?
Ok so maybe it's just a lot shallower pool this year.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
It's ok. I was going to call a friend in Dallas to see if he was on the bench last night, but talked myself out of it. Yes it's Wednesday...do we have a coach yet?
They were off yesterday. In Dallas on Monday. Orlando tonight. Someone on here's got to have the NBA League Pass.
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
and my friends think I'm a little cuckoo.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2017), MikeF (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
and my friends think I'm a little cuckoo.
Maybe he ate bad food last night.......
Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta be Ostrom or Grant............I'm going with Ostrom..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-30-2017), UDGutter2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Gotta be Ostrom or Grant............I'm going with Ostrom..
From some articles posted on UDPride this morning, I forget the thread, I do not think Ostrom wants to be a head coach. He was very reluctant to do the interview and he has done his best to stay out of the public eye. I could be 100% wrong, but he just seems like a guy that would much rather be an assistant instead of a HC.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
maybe he ate bad food last night.......
skyline!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM
Major General

skyline!!!
Bad food?..lol...Not a big skyline guy but have never gotten ill from it.................yet.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Let's not forget, NKU beat the 5th seed, the 9th seed, and the 10th seed to win their conference tournament. It isn't like they played any tough teams along the way. If they do not win the HL tournament are we even considering him? This was only his second year at NKU. I personally think he needs a few more years, when luck was not on his side, before being considered for a job like Dayton.
There is no logical reason that anyone should want Brannen (AG's assistant for multiple years) over Anthony Grant. 2 time head coach, great recruiter, UD grad & 2 years experience in the NBA. Make ZERO sense to me.
Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 PM
Major General

skyline!!!
You must have misread that, he said bad food.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
From some articles posted on UDPride this morning, I forget the thread, I do not think Ostrom wants to be a head coach. He was very reluctant to do the interview and he has done his best to stay out of the public eye. I could be 100% wrong, but he just seems like a guy that would much rather be an assistant instead of a HC.
Better health, better sleep, Ostrom. Nothing wrong with doing what you like without all the hoopla and headache.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:31 PM
Major General

There is no logical reason that anyone should want Brannen (AG's assistant for multiple years) over Anthony Grant. 2 time head coach, great recruiter, UD grad & 2 years experience in the NBA. Make ZERO sense to me.
Of course not, and not endorsing Brannen here, but there's plenty of coaches that would never get mentioned for jobs if they didn't do something pretty special like win their conference, their conf. tourney, or go to a NCAA tourney. What he's done for that school in a short time is pretty darn good, not to mention he's been a top assistant for several years..
Old 03-29-2017, 02:36 PM

Have you watched a team coached by AG play a game? Not that impressive IMO.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not watched many but he seems low energy type guy. Want someone with at least a little passion. At times he stayed in one place so long with the same look thought he had passed on.

Feel Sullivan will get it right.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Donovan is in year 2 of a 5-year, $30 MILLION dollar NBA contract with OKC. We're not hiring him.

BTW, apparently Anthony Grant makes less than $800k per year...so presumably we can afford him.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:44 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Whales are mammals.
That would be a Dayton 7
Old 03-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Major General

The one in 2007 when VCU knocked Coack K and Greg Paulus' Duke squad out of the tournament was pretty sweet. I definitely watched that one!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-29-2017), steve (03-29-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-29-2017), udisit19 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Just off the Jet

deegood has a spectacular aura aboutdeegood has a spectacular aura aboutdeegood has a spectacular aura about
Again, Anthony Grant with Damon Goodwin as the Ohio connection. Someone mentioned he does not have the experience to recruit, D3 coaches recruit, he knows most coaches in the state of Ohio. Yes getting out into the other states he is not as experienced. He knows D1 talent, he has been going to his son's game in the AAU circuit.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Sullivan and Spina are hiring the next head coach, who will then choose/hire his assistants.

Many on this board write as if Sullivan is assembling the next staff, with Grant and Goodwin, Grant and Ostrom, etc.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017), st marys (03-29-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Sullivan and Spina are hiring the next head coach, who will then choose/hire his assistants.

Many on this board write as if Sullivan is assembling the next staff, with Grant and Goodwin, Grant and Ostrom, etc.
Thank you, this has been my observation as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

True, but they could make a deal with the new head coach (Grant, Kuwik) that Ostrum would stay on as an assistant (associate head coach) if Ostrum wanted to stay.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM

No doubt about this. Any top HC will bring some or all of his own assistants. If I were in that position and were forced to accept current assistants, I would probably not take the job. Not saying I wouldn't want them to join my staff, as some level of continuity can be great. But being forced to would be a whole different thing.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
True, but they could make a deal with the new head coach (Grant, Kuwik) that Ostrum would stay on as an assistant (associate head coach) if Ostrum wanted to stay.
This rarely happens, and when it does, more often than not it doesn't turn out well. If you are hiring a HC, let him pick his own staff. Now if the new HC interviews Ostrom, Kuwik, and Griffen, and he wants to keep 1 or all on his staff, that is totally different. At this level, you try to make a coach keep a staff member, they turn down the job. Most guys want to work with who they are comfortable with and feel gives them the best chance to be successful.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-29-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thank you, this has been my observation as well.
Exactly. Whoever is the next head coach will and should have control over their entire staff. Could Sullivan make a reccomendation? Sure. But ultimately the head coach has to make that decision.

On the Kuwik thread I did offer up the idea that Ostrom might stay on as an assistant if he were paid over 500k which would be high for an A10 assistant. Basically UD would have to up the assistant pool and outbid Indiana to get him
Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
That would never happen.

Current assistants being retained would be 100% at the new HC's request, not the AD's.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 PM

Jablonski's tweet...https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski Groce...McKinley Wright liked the tweet...hmm.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
udisit19 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Goodman tweeted about Ron Hunter. I'm done here
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BmoreFlyer (03-29-2017), C-time (03-29-2017), DallasFlyer (03-29-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Billy Donlon.
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Major General

Jablonski's tweet...https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski Groce...McKinley Wright liked the tweet...hmm.
Don't look into that. With the way kids like and retweet things, I am convince 95% of the time they haven't even really read what they like and retweet. Twitter and Instagram likes mean almost nothing to kids.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-29-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Has anybody read the threads for six years ago when we ultimately hired Archie? I don't recall much, if any, discussion about Archie before he was hired. Maybe it will happen again this time.
Another thing. Eric Spina will be officially installed as President next Tuesday. I don't think UD would announce a new coach early next week to take all the thunder away from the festivities. I'm thinking we'll hear something by Friday before the Final Four begins. If not, I think we are looking at next Wednesday.
Lieutenant General

People not on twitter need to know the context of that tweet. Jablonski is having people guess who the coach will be and when it will be announced. That is simply Jablonskis guess. He waiting and having fun with people
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017), m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), rollo (03-29-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Ok, guys and girls, everybody is giving this replacement hire a lot of thought. Me too. Of course, anything we think doesn't matter. But, here goes. Here is my persoal favorite choice, STEVE PROHM. When he was coaching at Murray State, i thought his team's were well coached. He moved on to Iowa State and his prowess has continued. He is making around 2 million a year. He would be my choice, if you can get him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
No doubt about this. Any top HC will bring some or all of his own assistants. If I were in that position and were forced to accept current assistants, I would probably not take the job. Not saying I wouldn't want them to join my staff, as some level of continuity can be great. But being forced to would be a whole different thing.
But an astute HC candidate will acknowledge if and when he needs to preserve an existing assistant or two for continuity, recruiting, etc. The only way that AG, presumably, would feel forced to do such is if his own evaluation of the situation forces himself to do it. Extremely unlikely that Sullivan would be forcing this. He would defer to new HC's judgment, I would think.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:38 PM

People not on twitter need to know the context of that tweet. Jablonski is having people guess who the coach will be and when it will be announced. That is simply Jablonskis guess
It was more that McKinley Wright liked the tweet, not the actual guess. Probably means nothing, but just found it interesting. None of the other recruits liked it.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightBmoreFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
I promise, that don't look into that. With the way kids like and retweet things, I am convince 95% of the time they haven't even really read what they like and retweet. Twitter and Instagram likes mean almost nothing to kids.
he also likes every Indiana fan tweeting at him... nothing to read into there
Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 PM
Lieutenant General

It was more that McKinley Wright liked the tweet, not the actual guess. Probably means nothing, but just found it interesting. None of the other recruits liked it.
I thought that's what you meant, but I just wanted to make sure people who don't use twitter didn't read just that tweet and think that Jablonski was saying that was real news.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 View Post
Maybe we shouldn't have banned DaytonDandy after all. Ray Harper would be better than Hunter
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-30-2017), m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Major General

No, no. It absolutely means something as it pertains to McKinley. Groce recruited McKinley pretty hard. https://www.google.com/amp/writingil...t-opinion/amp/
Of course that doesn't change the fact that the primary goal here is to hire the best coach we can regardless of our recruits endorsement.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
That would never happen.

Current assistants being retained would be 100% at the new HC's request, not the AD's.
Until it's not
Old 03-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Maybe we shouldn't have banned DaytonDandy after all. Ray Harper would be better than Hunter
DaytonDandy was banned? First we lost Archie and now DaytonDandy, this is the worst off-season ever.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Browns For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-29-2017), DallasFlyer (03-29-2017), FLYER5 (03-29-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-29-2017), OSU Flyer (03-29-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Browns View Post
DaytonDandy was banned? First we lost Archie and now DaytonDandy, this is the worst off-season ever.
i honestly thought this is the guy he was talking about the whole time
Old 03-29-2017, 04:02 PM

Larry Brown is a legend. His name got him in the door. Anthony Grant is not a legend. His name alone won't get him the door. But he is a good looking dude. I'm comfortable saying that. A lot of moms should let him in.
Agree...no doubt about it, AG is a good looking dude, I will give him that. The moms will love him. I am also comfortable saying that. Lol.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Ok, guys and girls, everybody is giving this replacement hire a lot of thought. Me too. Of course, anything we think doesn't matter. But, here goes. Here is my persoal favorite choice, STEVE PROHM. When he was coaching at Murray State, i thought his team's were well coached. He moved on to Iowa State and his prowess has continued. He is making around 2 million a year. He would be my choice, if you can get him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Lateral or slight downgrade
Old 03-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
It might be it could be.........

https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...58625240039428
Old 03-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Brigadier General

Oh, c'mon I'm just waiting for Ron Harper to enter the mix. Make it less cloudy..
Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post

Jablonski needs to turn his car off if he's going to work out of his garage.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-29-2017), TA111 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post

Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Jablonski needs to turn his car off if he's going to work out of his garage.
Did you all not see above or read the rest of Jablonski's Twitter feed? It's a joke/guess for a twitter game he's playing with his followers
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
I haven't posted since this happened, but it's pretty much a given that this is the toughest search for a UD men's basketball coach ever. I was born in 1979and since my Dad played for UD for Donoher I obviously know what Donoher means to the program, but with what Archie did in his 6 years with the program, losing the seniors that we did, the recruiting class we hopefully still have coming in and the lack of really good candidates is this the toughest hire the university has ever had to make?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:32 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Who is contacting Jeff Goodman. It is not Neil Sullivan or any member of the search committee. Likely coaches or agents trying to get leverage.

Ron Hunter or his agent calls Goodman, the tweets it, Hunter goes back and asks for more $/better contract.

Richard Pitno got caught doing this last year or the year before.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:35 PM
General of the Air Force

Did you all not see above or read the rest of Jablonski's Twitter feed? It's a joke/guess for a twitter game he's playing with his followers
In that case, I'm guessing it was Anthony Grant, in the Billiard Room, with the Lead Pipe.

Oops. Guess I'm mixing up my guessing games, there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Academy Doolie

ChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really niceChrisInVenice is just really nice
You are right. Do you want to take the lead on reaching out?
Mad Props to ChrisInVenice For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Major General

Who knew Neil was so funny?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anthony Grant has one more tourney win than Ron Hunter
Old 03-29-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
They are tied at 1 I thought?

AG is 1-3.

RH is 1-2.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Who is contacting Jeff Goodman. It is not Neil Sullivan or any member of the search committee. Likely coaches or agents trying to get leverage.

Ron Hunter or his agent calls Goodman, the tweets it, Hunter goes back and asks for more $/better contract.

Richard Pitno got caught doing this last year or the year before.
If its not agents leaking these names to Goodman(very possible), and instead it's UD doing it they must be trying to make everybody feel like Anthony Grant is Calipari or Roy Williams compared to the rest of the candidates.

And to tell you the truth if UD is leaking the names to make Grant look better IT'S WORKING on me.

Last edited by C-time; 03-29-2017 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-29-2017, 05:02 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

AG is 1-3.

RH is 1-2.
Yep, you're right
Old 03-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I think they both have two tourney wins? Hunter's been a head coach for a heck of a lot longer but at lesser schools so not really fair to compare them.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-29-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 PM
General of the Air Force

Okay since there are more and more HC names interested in the HC job at Dayton I frigued I would help Neil by doing the Ben Franklin approach.

Take each candidate and list their pros and cons with a value then calculate it all at the end without any emotional input for or against any candidate.

The way it works take a pro like number of years as HC i.e. 6 yrs so he would get a 6 in the pro column. If he had 2 bad years out of these 6 then he would get a minus 2 in the con column etc.

After painstaking tedious labor inputting all the pros and cons of each candidate, am now ready to let the computer pick our next head coach without the human bias so often attached.

Drum roll please......

And the next head coach for the The University of Dayton selected by the unbiased computer is......

.....Ray Harper WTF he wasn't even in the calculations....Someone hacked my computer...I need a new computer

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 03-29-2017 at 06:45 PM..
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Since the names we keep hearing keep getting worse let's just hire Becky Hammon. I can guarantee UD would get more media coverage from ESPN than ever before.

Plus Rollo could start a Becky Hammon photo of the day thread.

Last edited by C-time; 03-29-2017 at 05:25 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-29-2017), Class of 73 Alum (03-29-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-30-2017), ruechalgrin (03-29-2017), SLUFLYER (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold

AG is 1-3.

RH is 1-2.
They are tied at 2 wins each.

AG is 2-3 (wins in 2007 and 2012, losses in 2007, 2009, and 2012)
RH is 2-2 (2 wins in 2015, losses in 2003 and 2015)

Ron Hunter's 2 wins were helped by the fact that his son is an NBA-caliber player and was on the team. Does he have any more sons? Preferably 6'5" with a great jump shot.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Hire Allie Laforce. Watch the bench instead of the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Iguomaniac View Post
They are tied at 2 wins each.

AG is 2-3 (wins in 2007 and 2012, losses in 2007, 2009, and 2012)
RH is 2-2 (2 wins in 2015, losses in 2003 and 2015)

Ron Hunter's 2 wins were helped by the fact that his son is an NBA-caliber player and was on the team. Does he have any more sons? Preferably 6'5" with a great jump shot.
It's confusing the way they called the first four the first round, so anyone not playing those games automatically gets a bye into second. But that's what I originally thought.
Iguomaniac (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
It's confusing the way they called the first four the first round, so anyone not playing those games automatically gets a bye into second. But that's what I originally thought.
You're right. Could have swore that GA State went to the Sweet Sixteen that year.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Hire Allie Laforce. Watch the bench instead of the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Allie LaForce is an unquestioned beauty. No doubt. But give me Tracy Wolfson.